Name all the backup QBs you would rather have than Kyle Orton

Kelly the Dog

The question is JUST FOR THIS SEASON. Just as a player. This does not count potential, like Blake Bortles, or salary, or who the starter is, or how much he knows the play book, or any of that. Just what players in the league who are official #2's and not starting the season would you prefer to have if EJ got hurt.

I'm trying to think of all of them.

Mike Vick maybe.

I think Matt Shaub stinks.

Matt Moore is a pretty good back up but I think Orton is probably better.

Definitely not Cousins. Not for me anyway.

Glennon or Osweiler or Mallet? Hell, no.

The rookies, Johnny Football, Bridgewater, Garrapollo and Bortles? Not yet. Much prefer Orton. Bortles looks good. Would love to see JF play on this team but if I had to win a game this season, no.

The Vets? Sanchez, Stanton, Hasselback, Tarvaris? No, no, no, no.

I could be forgetting a couple decent ones. Washed up vets or mediocre talent it seems like.

The rest suck worse than those guys. I'm surprised just looking around the league how slim the pickings are.

I'm not saying this like it is a fact. I'm just curious how others would rate these guys. Some fans like Cousins. I understand that. I think he's very, very average. Some people like Shaub. I think he's shot.

Orton could really be the best of the bunch. For me, for a couple games we had to win to keep in the hunt, maybe I would take Vick. But Orton would be in the top 2-3.

Much better late than never.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hasslebeck is a perfect backup but he is old. Since he will probably never need to play in Indy because luck is a franchise QB already, it doesn't matter. I still believe EJ can be a franchise QB but he isn't there yet, so I like the relative youth of Orton. He has experience but isn't over the hill. Has started, but doesn't feel like he will only play somewhere where he will the starter. If we have to go to him, I'm not terrified like I was with Tuel. I liked Thad's contributions last year, but he appeared to regress this preseason and orton is a major upgrade.

Yeah 2-3 years ago I definitely would have preferred Hasselbeck. I think he's probably a little too old in the tooth now. For one game? Maybe. But if it had to be for half a season? If I had to choose right now, for the Bills, I would take Orton over Hasselbeck. But you're right, he was the perfect backup for a few years.

If I get to pick from any QB in the NFL for just this season, I pick EJ Manuel as back up and Tom Brady as starter, this would leap frog us up and over the Patriots.

It would, but that is not the question. Thanks for playing.

I actually like colt McCoy as a backup (looks like he is the 3rd in Washington). He strikes me as having good long term backup potential.

I also like gradkowski in Pittsburgh.

But compared to Orton, not sure there is a lot if difference there.

If Colt McCoy had an NFL arm he could be a very decent backup. Boatloads of talent and football smarts. He just can't make the throws and he is small. The double whammy.

I thought about Gradkowski but he is a poor man's Orton. He has some experience and skills but he's never been good. I still would much prefer Orton to him.

The question is JUST FOR THIS SEASON. Just as a player. This does not count potential, like Blake Bortles, or salary, or who the starter is, or how much he knows the play book, or any of that. Just what players in the league who are official #2's and not starting the season would you prefer to have if EJ got hurt.

I'm trying to think of all of them.

Mike Vick maybe.

I think Matt Shaub stinks.

Matt Moore is a pretty good back up but I think Orton is probably better.

Definitely not Cousins. Not for me anyway.

Glennon or Osweiler or Mallet? Hell, no.

The rookies, Johnny Football, Bridgewater, Garrapollo and Bortles? Not yet. Much prefer Orton. Bortles looks good. Would love to see JF play on this team but if I had to win a game this season, no.

The Vets? Sanchez, Stanton, Hasselback, Tarvaris? No, no, no, no.

I could be forgetting a couple decent ones. Washed up vets or mediocre talent it seems like.

The rest suck worse than those guys. I'm surprised just looking around the league how slim the pickings are.

I'm not saying this like it is a fact. I'm just curious how others would rate these guys. Some fans like Cousins. I understand that. I think he's very, very average. Some people like Shaub. I think he's shot.

Orton could really be the best of the bunch. For me, for a couple games we had to win to keep in the hunt, maybe I would take Vick. But Orton would be in the top 2-3.

Much better late than never.

Let's wait and see whether Orton has checked out and is simpy collecting a big paycheck before drawing conclusions at this point. It's way too early.

And I'd take Johnny Football, who I like, over any of 'em. (Technically, he's a backup.)

Edited by dave mcbride

Let's wait and see whether Orton has checked out and is simpy collecting a big paycheck before drawing conclusions at this point. It's way too early.

Agreed. But I doubt it. Marrone seemed genuinely impressed after practice and spending time with him a couple days.

This is just an exercise anyway. You never know with any of these guys going into the year if their head is into it, if their skills have diminished, if a rookie is way more prepared than you would imagine, etc.

There just seems to be a lot of crappy backups these days. There doesn't seem to be any Charlie Batch's who are just good reliable veteran backups you would never want as your starter.

I forgot Ponder. He'd probably be a very decent backup (lousy starter and long term project) but I again would probably rather have Orton.

Cousins, Campbell, Fitz

Fitz is the starter.

If I had to choose between Fitz and Orton as to who would be my backup? On this team? That's pretty close. A toss up. Fitz is a good backup in this league even if people think he stinks.

Campbell has a lot of talent but it me is untrustworthy too much. I wouldn't mind him as my backup but I think I still want Orton. You can keep Cousins. Ha.

Although I am happy Orton is here.Lets not get overly excited. he is 31 a failed starter on his what 4th team? he just fleeced the Bills for 5 million to hold a clipboard. Five Million the highest paid back up in the league. What does that tell us. For one you get paid a premium to come to Buffalo. That is the reason he's here. Not the "opprotunity" like he said to help EJ and Jeff Tuel. Give me a break Kyle. Does he make the team just by being here a franchise poised to make a playoff run? Doubtful. he ended up Being Tebows back up. But he is by far the best #2 on the team in awhile. What does that say though? Can he beat the fish twice this year if called to start?

is he a OK although very expensive insurance policy? absolutely. They overpaid very late in the pre season for OBD incompetence. Funny for a few mil more they would have had a 4 time pro bowl safety instead. And drafted their #2 in the second round. Sometimes Whaley makes good moves other times he makes head scratching moves. This one is the latter.

As for backups Again I would have grabbed one of the rookies in the draft. So there was real competition regarding the franchises future at the position. let the best man win.

Orton is near or at the top of the list, IMO. I remember thinking, when he temporarily "retired" from the Cowgirls, that I would love Buffalo to bring him in for QB insurance.

The FO has been taking a lot of heat around here lately, but I believe this is one of many great moves by Whaley and company.

Those wishing for Whaley to be fired when new ownership comes in. Be careful. You might get what you wish for. Whaley, IMO, is a rising star in this league.

Sorry for the soapbox tangent...

Jeff Tuel.

Ok, wipe the snot off your screen. Orton has to be at the top of the list. One has to wonder if the Bills lucked into him or we simply don't know what has been in the works.

I think it's fairly obvious what happened from all reports and from listening to all the principals. Orton just played the waiting game. Didn't want to go to training camp but more importantly was looking for the chance to start. Seeing if there was an opportunity for him to step in if some team lost their starter like Sam Bradford.

Teams like the Bills were calling him since for the last six weeks and he was telling them no right now but I'm interested in playing. The bills started panicking because both of their backups revealed themselves to be awful. They kept upping their offer.

When all four preseason gems had been played and cut downs were coming and there were no starter jobs for Orton he took the best opportunity to play this year combined with the hefty #2 contract they finally offered him to secure the deal.

They could've just kept Fitz, avoided the dead money hit and signed Byrd with the difference. Instead we've come full circle from Fitz with Marrone declaring "this is what we've been looking for" after his bosses paid hurricane prices on the eve of the season. These guys are really chasing right now, but ironically it's their own tails.

I think it's fairly obvious what happened from all reports and from listening to all the principals. Orton just played the waiting game. Didn't want to go to training camp but more importantly was looking for the chance to start. Seeing if there was an opportunity for him to step in if some team lost their starter like Sam Bradford.

Teams like the Bills were calling him since for the last six weeks and he was telling them no right now but I'm interested in playing. The bills started panicking because both of their backups revealed themselves to be awful. They kept upping their offer.

When all four preseason gems had been played and cut downs were coming and there were no starter jobs for Orton he took the best opportunity to play this year combined with the hefty #2 contract they finally offered him to secure the deal.

Fair enough. I don't like the way they handled the backup job to this point but I'll give credit where it's due for getting the guy in the end.

There are plenty of guys with greater ceilings, but Orton has to be top 3 in terms of this season alone.

Strangely enough, I would've picked Shaun Hill as the top backup, but now he's forced into the starter role. Dude has a 41/23 touchdown to interception rate for his career and an 86 QB rating. Orton's is 79.9. However, Orton has more experience as a starter.

Although I am happy Orton is here.Lets not get overly excited. he is 31 a failed starter on his what 4th team? he just fleeced the Bills for 5 million to hold a clipboard. Five Million the highest paid back up in the league. What does that tell us. For one you get paid a premium to come to Buffalo. That is the reason he's here. Not the "opprotunity" like he said to help EJ and Jeff Tuel. Give me a break Kyle. Does he make the team just by being here a franchise poised to make a playoff run? Doubtful. he ended up Being Tebows back up. But he is by far the best #2 on the team in awhile. What does that say though? Can he beat the fish twice this year if called to start?

is he a OK although very expensive insurance policy? absolutely. They overpaid very late in the pre season for OBD incompetence. Funny for a few mil more they would have had a 4 time pro bowl safety instead. And drafted their #2 in the second round. Sometimes Whaley makes good moves other times he makes head scratching moves. This one is the latter.

As for backups Again I would have grabbed one of the rookies in the draft. So there was real competition regarding the franchises future at the position. let the best man win.

Every bit of that has been dissected ad nauseum in 100 threads.

Please name all the backups you would rather have rather than Orton for JUST THIS SEASON to win games if called upon. If you would prefer a rookie in there please say who and why. This is not about potential down the road.

They could've just kept Fitz, avoided the dead money hit and signed Byrd with the difference. Instead we've come full circle from Fitz with Marrone declaring "this is what we've been looking for" after his bosses paid hurricane prices on the eve of the season. These guys are really chasing right now, but ironically it's their own tails.

Marrone and Whaley were really not responsible for Fitz.