RIP Actor Robin Williams

CowgirlsFan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if this had something to do with it

"In a 2013 interview with Parade magazine, Williams said his divorce from his second wife, Marsha Garces, left him with financial troubles that led him to sell his ranch in Napa and forced him back into TV because he needed the work."

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2014/08/rip-robin-williams-dead-death-dies/

ROBIN WILLIAMS 'SELFISH' FOR COMMITTING SUICIDE

Says Todd Bridges

Robin Williams' death had been reported for just minutes, when "Different Strokes" star Todd Bridges bashed Williams for committing suicide ... calling it "a very selfish act."

Bridges moaned he's had a hard time too but didn't take what he implies is the easy way out: "You don't think that my life has been hell and I've had so many ups and downs now. If I did that what am i showing my children that when it gets tough that's the way out No you gotta buckle down ask God to help you. That's when prayer really comes into effect."

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/08/11/robin-williams-suicide-dead-todd-bridges-twitter-selfish

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

i have to admit, this is one of my first thoughts when it comes to suicide, in my head i think some pretty mean things about people that commit suicide, but then I start to think about how bad this depression sickness really is....he has EVERYTHING at his feet, yet he is still in such a state of mind that dying is the better alternative. I completely understand Todd Bridges statement, but it should be an initial internal thought, not something you should take to the press.

ROBIN WILLIAMS 'SELFISH' FOR COMMITTING SUICIDE

Says Todd Bridges

Robin Williams' death had been reported for just minutes, when "Different Strokes" star Todd Bridges bashed Williams for committing suicide ... calling it "a very selfish act."

Bridges moaned he's had a hard time too but didn't take what he implies is the easy way out: "You don't think that my life has been hell and I've had so many ups and downs now. If I did that what am i showing my children that when it gets tough that's the way out No you gotta buckle down ask God to help you. That's when prayer really comes into effect."

http://m.tmz.com/#Ar...twitter-selfish

So I'm flying today, and before I leave I look to see where I am on the upgrade list. Except for your own name, they only list the first three letters of the last name, and first initial. Top of the list this morning? Mor/K

also.....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyandoli/robin-williams-fans-spontaneously-turned-the-good-will-hunti

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexisnedd/things-nobody-tells-you-about-being-depressed

i have to admit, this is one of my first thoughts when it comes to suicide, in my head i think some pretty mean things about people that commit suicide, but then I start to think about how bad this depression sickness really is....he has EVERYTHING at his feet, yet he is still in such a state of mind that dying is the better alternative. I completely understand Todd Bridges statement, but it should be an initial internal thought, not something you should take to the press.

Me too, and I figure its somewhat sacrireligious to mention given his popularity, but when I read he has a relatively new wife and 3 kids (from previous marriages), can't help but think there's an element of selfishness for leaving them like that.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I also used to think it was a 'selfish act'... but seeing it firsthand every day for 13 years, since I’ve been with my wife has got me thinking otherwise. It is a sickness that “normal” people cannot possibly understand. It is not rational or logical. They do not choose to be this way, their brains work differently than ours. I learn something new about it every week, I swear. Life can be going as great as possible and they just don’t see it, they think they are worthless and horrible and a burden. Depression actually makes them think they would be doing everyone a favor if they were no longer around, so it’s not selfish at all.

Robin Williams brought us so much joy but I can understand why he probably didn’t see it that way. Unfortunately at the present moment my wife is having a VERY hard time with things and I’m barely holding it together. My wife doesn’t think she has a purpose, she can’t see that she’s the most important person to several people and how much she is loved, but all she sees is a failure and a burden to everyone. Mental illness is a nasty thing and in my opinion, people that don’t know about it shouldn’t make comments like Todd Bridges did.

Edited by MikeG

I have to be honest.

When I have read stories about other celebs passing away it never really took me by surprise.

This news really shook me and my heart aches.

As for his last picture, its so sad.

It looks like the light has gone out in his eyes.

RIP you brilliant man.

May you finally find happiness

CBF

What I was thinking too... He looks a bit frail too, wore out. Sad this happened, there has been so many nice things said about him...From people close, he had a heart of gold.

I believe the photo was taken while on his way to rehab for context

I thought about Cobain, Freddie Prinze, Junior Seau. None are even close to Robin Williams' fame.

Hemingway probably was, but that's why I said in our time. Not even sure on him, though.

As silly as it sounds - lastnight on Facebook, about an hour after his death was confirmed.... I swear the top 50 recent posts on my feed were all him. Young, old, all kinds of personalities, international..... 100% Robin Williams. Most weren't just generic "look at me keeping up with pop culture, RIP" either but included quotes, favorite films, stories of watching his stuff with friends and family etc....

I enjoyed his work but wasn't quite as into him as many. It definitely put into perspective how broad his appeal was and how deeply he touched people though.

Me too, and I figure its somewhat sacrireligious to mention given his popularity, but when I read he has a relatively new wife and 3 kids (from previous marriages), can't help but think there's an element of selfishness for leaving them like that.

Depression is inherently VERY selfish. That's not a criticism, just a fact of the illness. It's a completely introverted state of mind where you're simply not capable of thinking about others when you're clinically depressed.

I also used to think it was a 'selfish act'... but seeing it firsthand every day for 13 years, since I’ve been with my wife has got me thinking otherwise. It is a sickness that “normal” people cannot possibly understand. It is not rational or logical. They do not choose to be this way, their brains work differently than ours. I learn something new about it every week, I swear. Life can be going as great as possible and they just don’t see it, they think they are worthless and horrible and a burden. Depression actually makes them think they would be doing everyone a favor if they were no longer around, so it’s not selfish at all.

13 years? That's rough...you're a saint for sticking with her. Honestly, I don't know how my wife's managed to put up with my depression for 10, considering I barely can.

can't it also be the opposite of what you stated? you are so consumed with thinking of others and trying to live up to some imaginary standard, and trying to make others happy, that it spirals you into a state of depression?

not that i would have any personal knowledge of trying to act this way......

Depression is inherently VERY selfish. That's not a criticism, just a fact of the illness. It's a completely introverted state of mind where you're simply not capable of thinking about others when you're clinically depressed.

Edited by The Poojer

13 years? That's rough...you're a saint for sticking with her. Honestly, I don't know how my wife's managed to put up with my depression for 10, considering I barely can.

I believe in the tooth fairy more than I believe in the myth of your wife.

I once had this girlfriend at camp. She's from Canada so you wouldn't know her but...

I never thought of Robin Williams as an actor I really loved but then when I saw the movies all in one place last night, holy crap. He really did have a lot of great roles and deserves full credit for all the accolades he's getting.

Edited by John Adams

Excellent post and kudos to you. Hope everything works out and your wife.

Recently, a colleague's 17 year old son hung himself after battling ADHD and depression for a long time. It was gut wrenching to hear about their struggles and the ultimate end of the saga. The family had their usual time together in the evening. At about 8:45, the boy retired to his room and at 9:15, his mom found him hanging. Just like that, after months and years of struggle, he ends his life without warning.

We cannot understand how a sick mind thinks, acts and behaves. All we can do is support those who are dealing with these issues.

RIP, Robin Williams. You will be missed.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

here's my little story on Robbin. Living in the bay area during the 80's the comedy club scene exploded in the city and to some extent the burbs including Marin and Sonoma county's. While Williams played at virtually all the benefits for musicians,actors, charitable causes, they were typically attended by large crowds in larger venues. Warfield, Golden Gate park, Marin civic center, on and on. They were great but more "reserved" than his impromptu nutcase unannounced performances.

the real gem performances was him showing up at a small club, comedy, or music. and typically waiting until late in the evening and coming on stage, unannounced, completely unprepared without doing his stand up usual routine be because by then he was leaving stand up for greener pastures. We once even saw him totally lubricated at an

italian restaurant in. occidental Ca. Called Negris for those that know the area. And though never spending any real time chatting with him. i did get to shake his hand and proclaim " you are effing nuts you know that though" He was always charming and would hug my wife. A group of friends would all keep ears open being pre internet tubes and all. And would call each other with the Williams report. meaning where he was rumored to turn up on any given evening. A lot of them were correct since the other comedians would find out, consider it an honor and word would spread quickly. Smart club owners in the marina district would also let it leak out. His drinking hangouts were in Larkspur and Mill Valley.

its taken me awhile to write this since his death. I consider him one of the greatest comedians of all time. And after watching the "golf" video about twenty times last night and today on you tube decided to just at this site write a few words on a great man that fought demons for as long as we knew of him on Northern California. i am sure others here were also at some of these insane performances by him. RIP ROBIN!

Excellent post and kudos to you. Hope everything works out and your wife.

Recently, a colleague's 17 year old son hung himself after battling ADHD and depression for a long time. It was gut wrenching to hear about their struggles and the ultimate end of the saga. The family had their usual time together in the evening. At about 8:45, the boy retired to his room and at 9:15, his mom found him hanging. Just like that, after months and years of struggle, he ends his life without warning.

We cannot understand how a sick mind thinks, acts and behaves. All we can do is support those who are dealing with these issues.

RIP, Robin Williams. You will be missed.

I think that as we go through life we learn every day. Sometimes we learn almost meaningless things and sometimes we learn profound things. And learning happens from expected and unexpected sources. Some things that were so complicated become simple, like reading or riding a bike. The more interesting fact to me is that some things that were once simple become complicated the more we learn.

When you are a kid you put other people into easily defined categories....including pretty, ugly, smart, dumb, weird, crazy....whatever. As you get older you start to see that there is more to it than that initial simplicity. Certainly people who are depressed can do things like what Williams just did that are hard to understand. To me, the difficulty in understanding the thoughts of a depressed person offers an opportunity. It is very clear that the best minds among us have yet to figure this all out and it should be obvious that it is unfair to pass judgement on a person afflicted with depression. It is really, really not our place to judge; because we don't understand.

The opportunity to learn is this: It is simple to see that none of us can understand what was going through Williams' mind. This simple fact can be applied to anyone else, not just people with profound afflictions. Everyone's experience in life is different. Everyone's genes are different. We all have so many shared experiences with our families, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and others that it becomes simple again to categorize people based on things we have assumed about them. It becomes easy to be judgmental.

Societies have to judge. People need to be locked up at times. But we often simplify two different types of judgement into one. Judgments of who needs to be removed form our society or simply deciding to no longer associate with someone are necessary, I want to be clear about that. But to assume to judge someone, anyone, with regard to their humanity is not our call to make. The scene from Good Will Hunting at the park bench is an illustration of this I think. The easy part is Williams' taking Damon to task and explaining to him why he has not accepted Damon's assessment. It was a great and well delivered series of lines, but it was the easy part. The tricky little part, and the part I liked the best, is that he does not just cast Damon aside but he turns the table back on himself and realizes he can't just dismiss Damon as a person. He separates Damon's mistakes from Damon's self. I thought that part was his application of what he had learned while not sleeping the night before.

For whatever reason Williams was an excellent messenger for some of the more meaningful messages. I found him very entertaining in stand up, in comedic roles and in serious roles. I think I did because he had the ability to cut through the noise and deliver the real underlying message. That is a gift not many actors have, even great ones. It seems clear that a lot of people picked up his wavelength and that is why there is so much sadness today. I think when that happens, it tricks us into feeling like we "know" the person, but we don't really. Williams has made it easy to see that we didn't really know him and maybe that is a good thing. I hope that message reminds me as I go along that I should not assume that I "know" anyone so I am in no position to truly judge them.

Edited by 4merper4mer

ok...i'll bite...what is EGOT? and what Tony is he up for, I don't pay too much attention to broadway....

...ok, n/m...looked it up on the google...

I am really hoping Robin wins a Tony this year.

If so, he will be one of the few to earn the title EGOT

CBF

Edited by The Poojer

can't it also be the opposite of what you stated? you are so consumed with thinking of others and trying to live up to some imaginary standard, and trying to make others happy, that it spirals you into a state of depression?

not that i would have any personal knowledge of trying to act this way......

Short answer is "no."

The long answer is really complicated, involving the interaction between a person's cognitive, emotional, and biochemical environments.

My suggestion is to not try to rationalize irrational behavior. People that get to the point of suicide as a viable option are not thinking like you or I.

My suggestion is to not try to rationalize irrational behavior. People that get to the point of suicide as a viable option are not thinking like you or I.

"Not thinking like JtSP" itself makes suicide seem like a viable option...

"Not thinking like JtSP" itself makes suicide seem like a viable option...

Can't it be the opposite of what you stated?

I often wonder why people, like Todd Brigdes, seem the feel the need to chime in...

Edited by Buftex