Ray Rice suspended two games? (Update: now cut/suspended)

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe for a second the NFL didn't see the tape and I think they are lying to save face. They never denied seeing it before when people were using the tape as reason for the NFL only suspending him 2 games. Plus, I have a hard time believing the NFL couldn't get a tape that TMZ obtained. Given the Aaron Hernandez crap and the video of Ray dragging her out of an elevator, I can't imagine Goodell would gamble and just not watch the tape or try and get it. And again, if TMZ can get it so can they.

And they purposefully destroyed the patriots cheating video

Like I said before, I was driving into work one morning about a month or so ago and I was listening to Fox Sports Radio, and the 2 guys (Furman and North) were talking about the case and saying, basically as if it were fact, that the NFL didn't even see the footage of what happened in the elevator. So I don't know what to believe. I could see Goodbye asking the police half-heartedly to see the footage, them saying no, and him saying "okay, I tried." I can also believe he didn't even view the cheating videotapes and just destroyed whatever they gave him.

The amount of indignation displayed by the press over the elevator video exceeds the Isis beheadings. This is more of the PC utopian society at work, the high pressure put on by the feminist lobby! A double standard of the highest degree, nothing being said about the woman beating on him. No, I do not think what he did was right. What I am saying is that any professional athlete that has anything to do with a woman before his playing career is over, is a fool.

The amount of indignation displayed by the press over the elevator video exceeds the Isis beheadings. This is more of the PC utopian society at work, the high pressure put on by the feminist lobby! A double standard of the highest degree, nothing being said about the woman beating on him. No, I do not think what he did was right. What I am saying is that any professional athlete that has anything to do with a woman before his playing career is over, is a fool.

:huh::blink:

I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells.

Dr. Seuss

You sir, are an !@#$.

Edited by jo39416

Without knowing what happened in the elevator, the assumption was that she either instigated the altercation, or fought him back, which led him to cold rooster her ("mitigating factor"), and she assumed some of the blame. After seeing the video, that didn't happen, and that's why there is more outrage now.

As for Goodell, I can't see how he's not finished as commissioner. He's either lying about not having previously seen the video tape, which is inexcusable, or he handed down the judgment without seeing the video tape, which, if TMZ got it, he coulda have obtained himself, which is also inexcusable.

I'll take ole Rog at his word that this is the first time he saw the new video. I mean, it's possible, seeing as how the NFL is a small time business operation without the ways nor means to actually source out such evidence. :rolleyes:

If so, then I can't imagine the NFLPA will be too pleased to know that the singular person responsible for determining fault and suspensions of the players they represent, does so without taking into account all of the available evidence.

Ownership can't be too pleased either. This is a huge blackmark on their golden product.

I'll get killed for this, but society seems like it's okay for a woman to strike a man which is wrong. Both Ray and his wife are responsible for both their actions leading to a dispute. They were both wrong. However striking a woman as hard as he did, knocking her unconscious is pretty unfathomable.

@ComfortablySmug

The @Ravens just deleted this tweet Nothing like a PR dept trying to sweep a battered woman under the rug pic.twitter.com/3hVLPv5LcG

It's amazing that the backlash died down after the 2 game suspension came down. It seems like the NFL media played good little soldiers letting it die all down and are now are trying to play catch up today. This is a black eye for everyone.

It's crazy that Roger Goodell would risk ruining the NFL's image by acting favorable to Ray Rice in his judgement as if he was some kind of sacred cow or something. This is supposed to be the NFL's best PR day of the whole year and everyone is talking about the just released video showing Ray Rice knocking out a girl and Goodell's stupid 2 game suspension. Goodell may need to go because this is a blunder that may be too huge for him to recover from. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business and this blowback is happening because Goodell was a fool in his judgement. Multi-billion dollar business interests vs Ray Rice's interests and you rule in favor of Ray Rice? If I was an owner I'd be ticked off at Goodell's role in this whole matter.

Edited by 1billsfan

TO THE BOARD:

I apologize if I offended anyone. I was not at any point trying to validate Ray or minimize his actions and hope that is clear. When you start replying to posts and stuff, it starts to look like your intent is different than what it was originally intended to be. I can't stand Rice or his actions and I am glad the Ravens finally got their head out of their backside and cut the prick.

I don't care If i get warned for saying this again. This post is so full of dumb.

TO THE BOARD:

I apologize if I offended anyone. I was not at any point trying to validate Ray or minimize his actions and hope that is clear. When you start replying to posts and stuff, it starts to look like your intent is different than what it was originally intended to be. I can't stand Rice or his actions and I am glad the Ravens finally got their head out of their backside and cut the prick.

you were pretty well clear in it, several times. its a tough topic to discuss, because anything short of "screw that woman beater" tends to morph into "oh so you support him"

i think most got that you were trying to say you were discussing the punishment and process and not condoning the actual act though.

I'll take ole Rog at his word that this is the first time he saw the new video. I mean, it's possible, seeing as how the NFL is a small time business operation without the ways nor means to actually source out such evidence. :rolleyes:

If so, then I can't imagine the NFLPA will be too pleased to know that the singular person responsible for determining fault and suspensions of the players they represent, does so without taking into account all of the available evidence.

Ownership can't be too pleased either. This is a huge blackmark on their golden product.

Obviously the NFL had the means to get the footage, if TMZ could. But I could see Rog taking the approach of "if I don't want to know the answer, I won't ask the question," or in this case "if I don't want to know how bad it was, I won't watch the footage." Again either way, he's in deep ****.

You sir, are an !@#$.

Look at the world that has been pulled over your eyes! Women automatically get custody of the children, a male student on today's college campus environment, can be expelled without due process for simply trying to initiate sex. Men have rights too! I did not say it was alright to hit a woman. I am saying today the view toward men is slanted.

Obviously the NFL had the means to get the footage, if TMZ could. But I could see Rog taking the approach of "if I don't want to know the answer, I won't ask the question," or in this case "if I don't want to know how bad it was, I won't watch the footage." Again either way, he's in deep ****.

Maybe he'll resign before the guys who pay his $75M salary kick him to the curb.

I can't imagine he'll want to be remembered as the guy that lied about domestic abuse of woman so he'll exit as an incompetent doofus instead.

So could this be a lifetime ban for Rice since he was already suspended for 2 games?

CBF

I'm sure he will try to get reinstated next year, but the thing is he will be almost 30 and his last good year was in 2012

Edited by Crayola64

I hope Rog just lays it on the table and asks what more he has to do to appease the mob and shut everybody up.

Look at the world that has been pulled over your eyes! Women automatically get custody of the children, a male student on today's college campus environment, can be expelled without due process for simply trying to initiate sex. Men have rights too! I did not say it was alright to hit a woman. I am saying today the view toward men is slanted.

!@#$ing lol

Sure, the NFL could have obtained that footage. However, TMZ, I would imagine to be MUCH better at that sort of investigative journalism, and it took them this long to do it. But, I also wonder, is it the NFL's responsibility to investigate players beyond the evidence that is presented to them? And, let's be honest here, the reason the NFL investigates these things at all, or have player conduct policies written into their contracts is because they want to control their image-- it has nothing to do with justice. To be entirely honest, the heinous nature of this case notwithstanding, I am a little uncomfortable with the NFL investigating the personal lives of its players beyond what affects the game, or directly affects the league.

Pet Peave: The term "put his hands on her" to mean offensive touching. I don't know what limp dick d-bag started this term, but let's just say, I'd like to "put my hands" on him. It's such an awful term for describing that which it is so commonly used to describe.

Look, I am not defending Ray. I think the Ravens should cut him. I am defending the NFL only...its getting twisted to look like I am defending Rays actions.

I agree that your words are being unfairly twisted. I don't think the video is clear enough for me to say whether she was knocked out by the punch or by her head hitting the rail, but I don't think there's anything offensive about your posts.

I hope Rog just lays it on the table and asks what more he has to do to appease the mob and shut everybody up.

I assume if TMZ was able to obtain this that the shield would have been able to obtain it much easier. So they are either lying about the "In-depth" investigation, or the are lying about not seeing the video before. I believe it is required that all Atlantic City hotels have surveillance in the elevators, so it should not have been hard to obtain.

either way it looks REALLY bad for the NFL.

Pet Peave: The term "put his hands on her" to mean offensive touching. I don't know what limp dick d-bag started this term, but let's just say, I'd like to "put my hands" on him. It's such an awful term for describing that which it is so commonly used to describe.

I agree that your words are being unfairly twisted. I don't think the video is clear enough for me to say whether she was knocked out by the punch or by her head hitting the rail, but I don't think there's anything offensive about your posts.

But a Betty White joke ruffled your feathers?!!?

The old one showed him dragging her knocked out body. This new one shows him knocking her out

Well how did they think she got knocked unconscious when he dragged her out of the elevator, you know, when the Ravens pledged him their full support and the NFL handed him just a two game suspension. A mere fainting spell? Maybe they assumed she was just pretending to be unconscious.

Not saying RR is without blame but I get the impression that he is now being punished for the league and the team not getting it right the first time and because they feel pressure into doing the politically correct thing now.

Maybe an 8 game suspension plus a repeat offender 1 year suspension or worse would have made sense in the first place.

once theres audio/video of a transgression, its just banishment. not even from the nfl, but society.

To me the video is most significant because it indicates there wasn't much provocation. I know the culturally-conditioned unthinking masses accept sayings like "you never 'put your hands' on a woman" as the absolute word of God, but the thinking man knows that context matters. If she'd nailed him square in the nuts and was beating him with a high-heeled shoe I wouldn't have much of a problem with him laying her out. Now that we know that wasn't the case it looks far worse for Ray Ray Rice.

Edited by Rob's House

Well how did they think she got knocked unconscious when he dragged her out of the elevator, you know, when the Ravens pledged him their full support and the NFL handed him just a two game suspension. A mere fainting spell? Maybe they assumed she was just pretending to be unconscious.

Not saying RR is without blame but I get the impression that he is now being punished for the league and the team not getting it right the first time and because they feel pressure into doing the politically correct thing now.

Maybe an 8 game suspension plus a repeat offender 1 year suspension or worse would have made sense in the first place.

Did you see the video, honest question? There is no excuse for what he did, and he deserves everything he gets.

once theres audio/video of a transgression, its just banishment. not even from the nfl, but society.

I don't understand how after defending Ray Rice's character for the last seven months or so it is now "right" and "gutsy" to cut ties with him. If hes a good person and this was just an isolated incident and hes faced the legal consequences for his actions then how is cutting his ass the right thing to do at this point? Seems the story we've been fed and the actions are wildly inconsistent.

The actions taken by the NFL and the Ravens look to me like nothing more than appeasement. I agree that this looks really bad for the Ravens and the NFL but not for the same reasons as most of you. The team and league are far more concerned with what is happening on twitter than what went down in that elevator.