How much should EJ play in the preseason?

How much should EJ play in the preseason?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you want to see EJ play in the preseason?

• Not at all. Bubble wrap the dude.
    • Less than 1 qtr per game. Just enough to get a good look.
    • 1 qtr per game. Enough for him to get work in but let's not get crazy.
    • 1 half per game. He needs the work, needs to prove he is durable, and we can't live in fear of him getting injured
    • All 20 qtrs of the preseason. Rex Ryan had the right idea putting Sanchez in against the 4th string camp bodies. This is football, dammit.

Good topic on WGR this morning. T-10 days until camp opens. The Bills have 5 preseason games. Last year EJ got hurt and missed the last 2 weeks of camp and games which most certainly curtailed his development to a degree. I remember Jauron used to play Trent very little in the preseason to "protect" him. Other QBs tend to play more in order to get the real work in against defenses that you can't get in TC. Do you want to see more or less of EJ in the preseason?

Edited by YoloinOhio

He needs to play at the rate that most starting QBs play at. He can ease into the HOF game, but he needs to be playing at least half the game in week 3 and 4, and then get a series or 2 in for the last week.

I don't like the idea that he needs "extra" work, or that we need to save him for live bullets.

More.

I want to see EJ play half the series in the first two games, and at least half against the Steelers, and Bucs. We can sit him most of the Lions game. EJ needs to be tuned in the Bears opener. Or, if, as the doubters suspect, he is injury prone, let's find that out in the preseason. Is that harsh?

Game 1: One or Two Drives

Game 2: 1st Quarter

Game 3: 1st Half

Game 4: 1st Half

Game 5: Depends, if playing well maybe a drive; if struggling then 1st Half

Concerned with injuries? Well, as Ivan Drago would say "If he dies, he dies."

No where for this scenario in voting, so I'm between 1 quarter and 1 half per game.

Edited by Mark80

No where for this scenario in voting, so I'm between 1 quarter and 1 half per game.

I voted for the half but only because this sensible solution wasn't in the poll (which I agree with).

Spot on!!! I want him to play enough to gain confidence and show the coaching staff what he can do... I don't however, want him to go out and play a half ever game... There comes a point where coaches are too protective of their QB's...

Spot on!!! I want him to play enough to gain confidence and show the coaching staff what he can do... I don't however, want him to go out and play a half ever game... There comes a point where coaches are too protective of their QB's...

Couple series, quarter, half, three quarters, couple series. I imagine he'll be on a pitch count throughout camp, so that may effect some things in pre-season games.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the important thing about this decision would be for the coaching staff to understand that what should dictate how much he plays is reality and NOT some best guess (at best) which I declared at this point.

the real answer is that EJ should start enough to enhance his chemistry playing with other Bills (particularly the WRs) and to give him more looks at NFL opponents D looking over the center's butt. However, the Bills should be judicious in exposing any star players to risk of injury or overuse.

This actually will vary not only from game to game, but play to play.

I have little interest in seeing EJ used late in a pre-season game or even after a first successful drive to win a pre-season game.

If he and his teammates are doing well in practice and the team is successful in an initial drive under EJ then its fine with me to sit him. Why would anyone insist on playing him if there is clear evidence that he and his teammates have chemistry and he has command of the O. I doubt that will happen without some pre-season play in a few games, but does anyone really insist that he play without regard to reality?

Clearly the answer is somewhere between a quarter and a half. Nobody is reinventing the wheel here, and he's no longer a rookie. He's going to be getting all of the 1st team reps in practice.

As has been said over and over again, teams don't "game plan" for preseason so you just want EJ to be working on his play calls, reads, and building chemistry with his OL and receivers in game situations.

There's no need to get crazy with excessive playing time.

Good topic on WGR this morning. T-10 days until camp opens. The Bills have 5 preseason games. Last year EJ got hurt and missed the last 2 weeks of camp and games which most certainly curtailed his development to a degree. I remember Jauron used to play Trent very little in the preseason to "protect" him. Other QBs tend to play more in order to get the real work in against defenses that you can't get in TC. Do you want to see more or less of EJ in the preseason?

I'm going to respectfully disagree that his missed time had any significant effect on his development. He played incredibly well in the first two games and, overall (in my opinion) very well until he was hurt in the Cleveland game.

I would prefer that he did not play any more than a full quarter in any pre-season game.

As much as he needs. When (if) he really has it together during the preseason, then bubble wrap him and put him in for a series or two for the rest of preseason. But if he is sucking, play the hell out of him until he works himself through it. Entire games if need be. Manuel CANNOT suck if the Bills are going to do anything this season.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Someone please tell me, what is "injury prone?" it is not natural that a human being collides with other humans at full speed. additionally i am kinda sick of everyone calling any nfl player weak bc they have sustained an injury.

In EJ's case its not like he stubbed a toe... give these guys a break. i know for sure if anyone of us went out there and enduored what they take for punishment we would still be laying there from last season

Someone please tell me, what is "injury prone?" it is not natural that a human being collides with other humans at full speed. additionally i am kinda sick of everyone calling any nfl player weak bc they have sustained an injury.

In EJ's case its not like he stubbed a toe... give these guys a break. i know for sure if anyone of us went out there and enduored what they take for punishment we would still be laying there from last season

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/injury-prone

Also, this....

Who is the last great NFL player to get three knee injuries in a season?

I'm not saying put a fork in him. It could've been a freak year and all will be well. But let's not act like staying healthy isn't a concern this year.

On-Topic,

Halves and quarters. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. I want him as ready as possible to throw 4 TD's to Watkins against the Bears.

I would say almost the entire HOF game, and then resume normal NFL QB preseason playing schedule. The HOF game is far enough away that playing him longer does not scare me. If he gets injured he has time to recover. Also, that gives the backups time to be in shape for the season if need be. My opinion is that if EJ is fragile, we need to know. But more than that, he needs reps to makeup for lost time last season.

He needs to get in sync with the receivers , 1st half the first 4 games , then watch game 5 from the press box.

I'd like this too. Also a good point. With the exception of Woods, he is basically throwing to all new WR's this year.

I know how to draw him out. A thread to begin the 2000-yard countdown for the 2015 Season of Spiller.

I'm all over it- give me a few....

I would say almost the entire HOF game, and then resume normal NFL QB preseason playing schedule. The HOF game is far enough away that playing him longer does not scare me. If he gets injured he has time to recover. Also, that gives the backups time to be in shape for the season if need be. My opinion is that if EJ is fragile, we need to know. But more than that, he needs reps to makeup for lost time last season.

I'd like this too. Also a good point. With the exception of Woods, he is basically throwing to all new WR's this year.

I think there is almost no chance EJ sees the second quarter, let alone almost the whole game

The answer is that he needs to play for as long as it takes for him to be comfortable with the offense/his responsibilities AND the coaches are comfortable with him running the offense .

I don't think you can say one quarter here, two quarters there. It may be an extra series or two in one game and even a series less in another.

The coaches need to use the preseason games 9all five of them) to get Manuel ready for the season......whatever that takes.

But by the same token, they need to not put him at risk unnecessarily.

It's a fine line to walk.

Suffice it to say, if the coaches aren't able to get Manuel comfortable through the preseason then it's going to be a very long reguilar season to endure.

I don't mind EJ having some extended playing time (except for the HOF game), but only so long as the first team O-line is in there, with minimal subbing of guys who are challenging for a first team job. I do not want our QB being subjected to turnstyle rookies playing against guys who are trying to do ANYTHING to make a team, like taking out the other team's QB any way possible.

If we aren't willing to keep the entire first team offensive line in the game, then EJ comes out as well. Let the other three guys run for their lives in otherwise meaningless games.

Three series per game, maximum.

I'm Far more. interested in what Jeff tuel Thad Lewis, and Dennis Dixon have to offer. Who knows?

Good point! Yes he needs to get comfortable with real games but....we do need to know if Jeff or Dennis need to be cut. As far as how long he plays, that depends on the opositions D. If they are kicking his but pull him. If he is destroying them let him build confidencs. I want him starting the year with swagger.

He is by far the player the team needs to improve the most versus last year if we have any hope of making playoffs --- you need to play him as much as practically possible, which means to me, about 1/2 of each game -- with possible exception of 1st and 5th games --- which I'd play him one quarter --

Clearly the answer is somewhere between a quarter and a half. Nobody is reinventing the wheel here, and he's no longer a rookie. He's going to be getting all of the 1st team reps in practice.

As has been said over and over again, teams don't "game plan" for preseason so you just want EJ to be working on his play calls, reads, and building chemistry with his OL and receivers in game situations.

There's no need to get crazy with excessive playing time.

A part of me screams 'Play him every damn play! Let's see him in continuous action!'. But the better judgement side of me agrees with you on this, as game plans don't really exist in PS. Plus, with all the 1st year OL we have to see perform, exposing the starter to rookie mistakes could be ... well.. Kiko!

He needs to play at the rate that most starting QBs play at. He can ease into the HOF game, but he needs to be playing at least half the game in week 3 and 4, and then get a series or 2 in for the last week.

I don't like the idea that he needs "extra" work, or that we need to save him for live bullets.

There you go. Very simple

This is probably accurate. If I had to guess, I am thinking they are going to sit him for game 5. I am thinking none of the starters will be playing, and they aren't going to want him out there the a 3rd string line and such

I agree with the post " till he gets comfortable " COC .

Once that occurs let the evaluations begin.

Very good point about first stringers and EJ . But i want to have Thad to get some more of that too.

The experience practicing with the Steelers is great in my eyes . Probably best opportinity for rookies and bubblers to get a feel for " live " bullets . and gives a small advantage to the Bills going into the season with the HoF game too

Can't wait for Tuel to light it up in preseason though. He's only improved since last year, and we all saw how dominant he was then. Those third-stringers are in for a world of hurt. And this board is in for a world of "Start Tuel" threads.

Can't wait for Tuel to light it up in preseason though. He's only improved since last year, and we all saw how dominant he was then. Those third-stringers are in for a world of hurt. And this board is in for a world of "Start Tuel" threads.

Can you think of something more flashy , or smoother ?

A Tuel chant has plenty of opportunity i might guess .

So it seems you are suggesting Jeff Tuel is going to usurp Thaddeus ?

I dooont think so .

Much less Manual Jr.

at least not right away

Edited by 3rdand12