Spikes: Buffalo Bills 'gonna shock the world'

My other thought was the dynamic between Steve and Harbaugh should produce some interesting interactions and perhaps some entertaining sideline moments during the season.

I don't expect any friction (at least public) between SJ13 and Harbaugh. In Buffalo SJ was a big fish in a small pond. In SF he is a small fish in a big pond. I would not expect any "why so serious?" moments from him in SF ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Donte Whitner used to guarantee playoffs before going 7-9 and finishing 4th in the div too.

Confidence is good. Setting high goals is good. Just shooting off the mouth before training camp... Meh

Less hope he's a better prognosticator than coverage LB and this isn't just about making noise...

The difference Between Whitner and Spikes is the talent level and coaching staff on the teams they pay or plaid for.

The great QBs are always in the running to win a SB and anything less is a failure. But take a guy like Wilson. He is in a great situation and is a very smart player. But he is a gloried game manager right now. He doesn't have to win games in Seattle by himself. I also think winning a SB helps with your confidence. Big Ben and Brady were game managers and became good to great QBs after their SB wins.

Right, but you mentioned you can win with Alex Smith. I think Wilson is in an excellent situation as well, but not for long. Once his contract is up - he'll be asked to do what Flacco is being asked to do - carry a team and win with much much less talent. IMO Wilson will not win another super bowl after his new contract.

Edited by Triple Threat

Well agree to disagree. The only peopel know Spikes is because he played on NE with Brady. In Jacksonville, he's a nobody. The Pats thought so much of his ability they benched him for the playoffs. He has very little value around the NFL. One of the best teams in the NFL, the 49ers, gave up a 3rd for SJ. Personally, if a good team trades for you, that means you are valued. JMO.

That said, I'm rooting like hell for Spikes. But I like consistency and for me to pretend like he wasn't a piece of trash on NE would be lying. Hopefully, he plays hard without being dirty. And his play is better than his mouth.

Agree that we'll agree to disagree and agreed that we're both rooting for Spikes this year. My first post in this thread actually was that I hope he plays as well as he talks... I hope he proves me right this season!

Spikes is definitely saying the right things as a team member.

I just wonder if he is really all in on the Bills, or is he just auditioning for the rest of the NFL to see how good he is so he can get that big contract with another team?

I just wonder if he is really all in on the Bills, or is he just auditioning for the rest of the NFL to see how good he is so he can get that big contract with another team?

At this point, I don't care what his motivation is, as long as it helps us win this year. If he wants to play with us next year, assuming he does well, great. If not, everything I've read says Preston Brown would make a suitable replacement.

At this point, I don't care what his motivation is, as long as it helps us win this year. If he wants to play with us next year, assuming he does well, great. If not, everything I've read says Preston Brown would make a suitable replacement.

Yeah that's what I suspected when they drafted Brown.

As a professional I'd expect him to be doing both.

I think any time a seasoned vet gets a camera stuck in their face, they play the "good teammate." But, at the same time, it's OTAs. I don't think he's thinking about his next contract just yet. And, I don't see any reason not to take his enthusiasm as genuine. Edited by Rocky Landing

Think about this from Spikes' perspective.

He is a natural leader with a big personality. He was an All-American in college and won a national championship. He's ambitious and wants to make a name for himself in the NFL.

While he experiences some success in New England, he's a cog in the machine. His personality gets suppressed and the powers that be are already established. So while the Pats keep going to the playoffs there's not much in growth opportunities for Spikes himself.

I am not saying he is an all-pro - if he was the Pats would have kept them. But he's 26, possibly with his best football in front of him, and feeling very motivated and energized to put his mark on a team that welcomes his voice. It is a good situation for the Bills providing he stays healthy, has some good football in him, and doesn't do anything overly juvenile.

I've been waiting a REALLY LONG TIME for the Bills to shock the world. Can't wait for it to happen. Hope I'm still around to witness the spectacle!

:D

I love Spikes. You have to believe in an outcome before you can make that outcome. He's a well-regarded player, and I love that he is talking up the Bills. For what it's worth, the D should be very good this year.

Totally agree.

If he can just stop the run on many plays and keep opposing offenses to under 100 yards then mission accomplished. We have the legend of Kiko to make sure the pass is covered.

Many people don't recognize how impactful Kiko will be at the Will position. He can use his speed and ball hawking skills to really impact the defense. Gronk will not have such an easy time at the second level. Kiko just didn't have the power to deal with run plays against Guards. Spikes does have that punch. It plays to both of their strengths.

This is going to be a fun defense to watch. A punishing defense and the #1 rushing offense could mean a game a manager for EJ and weapons when we need them in Mike Williams, and Sammy the Bull.

Post #50 and forward have been some very nice reads . Very good enthusiasm around here .

I agreed with nearly every post except two.

Brandon should prove one hell of asset to the team on the field and adds bravado off . Good for him and good for us .

He is having fun . We should expect to see him unload the wood in style .

Mark , we know its a business and its contract year. He has alot t prove after the way he finished in Boston . He will be playing his A game for us !

Edited by 3rdand12

I think the defense will make the Bills a tough opponent to play this year. If they can stop the run, this team will be able to win close games. That was the short coming the Bills had last season.

As a fan whose first bills memory is wide right, hasn't missed a game since and hasn't said "this is the year" since bledsoe, moulds, spikes, milloy......THIS IS THE YEAR BOYS!

Edited by GripnRip

I love the Spikes signing. I have no issues at all with him making statements like this because it shows confidence. I want players that expect to win & hate losing.

He was a team leader at Florida and an integral part of their National Championship team. He was drafted by NE because he's a winner and has had exposure to winning at the NFL level. This team has been sorely lacking vocal team leaders during this 14 year playoff draught. He will hold his teammates accountable & fire them up on gamedays.

I like Whaley's approach of bringING in winners. Watkins, Kouandjio, Brown, Cockrell, Alonso, Dareus, and Aaron Williams were all part of winning programs. All they kmnow is how to win & that should transfer to this team

I love the Spikes signing. I have no issues at all with him making statements like this because it shows confidence. I want players that expect to win & hate losing.

He was a team leader at Florida and an integral part of their National Championship team. He was drafted by NE because he's a winner and has had exposure to winning at the NFL level. This team has been sorely lacking vocal team leaders during this 14 year playoff draught. He will hold his teammates accountable & fire them up on gamedays.

I totally agree with this. Which is why I'm confused that we signed Spikes to a 1-year deal, and gave multi-year deals to Keith Rivers & Chris Williams. If Spikes plays like he talks this year, he'll walk for a big FA deal.

I totally agree with this. Which is why I'm confused that we signed Spikes to a 1-year deal, and gave multi-year deals to Keith Rivers & Chris Williams. If Spikes plays like he talks this year, he'll walk for a big FA deal.

It is possible that Spikes wanted a 1 year deal. Also, Spikes had issues in NE and the Bills probably want to make sure they don't cause problems if it was their decision before giving him a multi-year deal. They signed Branch for 1 year originally and then extended him at the end of the season. They could do the same here but if it was their decision, they probably want to see him prove his worth first and make sure he fits what they are doing.