Spikes: Buffalo Bills 'gonna shock the world'

That's fine. A "game manager" would be a dramatic improvement for EJ, quite honestly. Yes Russell Wilson had some rough outings last year but he moved the chains when he had to, and appeared to have made the proper calls at the line for the running game and protections, etc. Go back and watch EJ's outing in Pittsburgh (if you can stomach it) - he was nowhere near the "shock the world" level of QB play, manager or not... long way to go there.

Agree, which is why everything I said was in future tense. I don't need to watch the Steelers game.

Donte Whitner used to guarantee playoffs before going 7-9 and finishing 4th in the div too.

Confidence is good. Setting high goals is good. Just shooting off the mouth before training camp... Meh

Less hope he's a better prognosticator than coverage LB and this isn't just about making noise...

Difference being that Spikes has been on the team that has won the same division every year he has been in the league and Whitner wasn't. Spikes does have swagger and he is bringing it here. Whitner's was look-at-me twitter fodder.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difference being that Spikes has been on the team that has won the same division every year he has been in the league and Whitner wasn't. Spikes does have swagger and he is bringing it here. Whitner's was look-at-me twitter fodder.

Nailed it.

Agreed. I just think there are like 5 truly great QBs who single handedly win games. It's much easier building a balanced team than finding one of the great QBs. I think the Bills have done a good job with that. But this is a league where Alex Smith is a "winner." I don't see any reason why EJ can't be either, even if he isn't Peyton.

I can get there. Do you think there's a defining difference between being a winner and having an opportunity to win the superbowl?

I'm really starting to like Spikes, despite hating his guts the past few seasons. He's exactly what this team needs. But if the Bills do "shock the world" this year, does he walk?

I really wish we'd have given him at least a 2yr deal. We gave Keith Rivers 4.5mil, why not offer Spikes at least the same?

Hasn't someone said something like this the last few seasons as well?

I guess some fans like this, it gets them fired up or something. I find it embarrassing when a player, particularly a new player, on a team that has been as bad for as long as the Bills have been to shoot their mouth off. I hope the entire locker room thinks it, but it just sounds foolish to see/hear it in the press now.

Edited by CodeMonkey

That's fine. A "game manager" would be a dramatic improvement for EJ, quite honestly. Yes Russell Wilson had some rough outings last year but he moved the chains when he had to, and appeared to have made the proper calls at the line for the running game and protections, etc. Go back and watch EJ's outing in Pittsburgh (if you can stomach it) - he was nowhere near the "shock the world" level of QB play, manager or not... long way to go there.

Yup, EJ had some terrible games last year. He also left the field 3 games (one late in the 3rd, and 2 late in the 4th) with a lead. If our "great" defense holds the lead, EJ goes 7-4 as a rookie. Do you think the 49ers or Seahwaks' defenses blow the lead in those games? Mark Sanchez threw 12 tds and 20 ints and nearly went to the the SB as a rookie. 11 tds and 9 ints (4 in one terrible game) are worlds better.

Is it really though? I used to think like that and it's true when you're talking about Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. But for the majority of the QBs, it's not that cut and dry. The 49ers and Seahawks had the 2 lowest passing attempts in the NFL last year. IMO, EJ doesn't need to be Peyton to take the Bills to the playoffs. He jsut needs to limit his mistakes and make a few big plays throughout the game.

And I love swagger but Spikes talks too much. It's funny some people got sick of SJ talking so much and now love Spikes' attitude. Just play ball.

It might not be that they're talking, it might be what they're saying.

Or maybe it's because Spikes is a better LB than Stevie is WR.

Take your pick.

I can get there. Do you think there's a defining difference between being a winner and having an opportunity to win the superbowl?

The great QBs are always in the running to win a SB and anything less is a failure. But take a guy like Wilson. He is in a great situation and is a very smart player. But he is a gloried game manager right now. He doesn't have to win games in Seattle by himself. I also think winning a SB helps with your confidence. Big Ben and Brady were game managers and became good to great QBs after their SB wins.

It might not be that they're talking, it might be what they're saying.

Or maybe it's because Spikes is a better LB than Stevie is WR.

Take your pick.

I strongly disagree on Spikes being a better LB than SJ was a receiver. Spikes is a one dimensional LB who might be the slowest LB in the league. SJ put up 3 1,000 yard seasons with a QB who struggled to throw 10 yards down field.

I know he's not a Bill and we should hate him, but SJ was a damn good (albeit flawed) receiver for us. Spikes can only play on run downs.

Obviously the guy has been drinking the Kool-Aid. Russ Brandon has him fooled. Probably sold him a bunch of season tickets. Doesn't he know that haven't been playoff in 14 years? Dude's gotta learn to be a realist.

The great QBs are always in the running to win a SB and anything less is a failure. But take a guy like Wilson. He is in a great situation and is a very smart player. But he is a gloried game manager right now. He doesn't have to win games in Seattle by himself. I also think winning a SB helps with your confidence. Big Ben and Brady were game managers and became good to great QBs after their SB wins.

I strongly disagree on Spikes being a better LB than SJ was a receiver. Spikes is a one dimensional LB who might be the slowest LB in the league. SJ put up 3 1,000 yard seasons with a QB who struggled to throw 10 yards down field.

I know he's not a Bill and we should hate him, but SJ was a damn good (albeit flawed) receiver for us. Spikes can only play on run downs.

Very difficult to compare a WR to a LB so I won't try other than to quantify their value to this current Bills team. The two best qualities of Spikes in NE were 1)his top notch ability to stop the run and 2) his energy. Spikes was an emotional leader for the Patriots defense. His heavy hits became a trademark. He set the physical tone for the defense. That's an intangible that is hard to find, and something the Bills need.

I don't hate SJ nor do I think he was anything but a good WR. However, I believe the Bills are no better with him than without him based on the WRs we now have and the way his route running style didn't mesh well with the QB.

<snip>

And you're wrong despite your assertion that I must be bashing him because he is no longer a Bill.

Nobody rooted for Stevie more than I did for three hours on Sundays. But if you searched TSW or could query members of my Backers club, you would know that I've been critical of his terribly inconsistent play, his ability to make a bad play at the worst possible time, his incessant dropping to the turf at the slightest hint of contact, and the selfish emptiness between the ears for years.

Spikes is better at his position than Stevie is at his. He backs up his brashness with devastating plays. The only time Stevie devestated anybody in any fashion was when he was dropping potential game winners or putting potential game sealing balls on the turf.

In other words, Stevie is all show and no go but Spikes actually brings it.

And you're wrong despite your assertion that I must be bashing him because he is no longer a Bill.

Nobody rooted for Stevie more than I did for three hours on Sundays. But if you searched TSW or could query members of my Backers club, you would know that I've been critical of his terribly inconsistent play, his ability to make a bad play at the worst possible time, his incessant dropping to the turf at the slightest hint of contact, and the selfish emptiness between the ears for years.

Spikes is better at his position than Stevie is at his. He backs up his brashness with devastating plays. The only time Stevie devestated anybody in any fashion was when he was dropping potential game winners or putting potential game sealing balls on the turf.

Well agree to disagree. The only peopel know Spikes is because he played on NE with Brady. In Jacksonville, he's a nobody. The Pats thought so much of his ability they benched him for the playoffs. He has very little value around the NFL. One of the best teams in the NFL, the 49ers, gave up a 3rd for SJ. Personally, if a good team trades for you, that means you are valued. JMO.

That said, I'm rooting like hell for Spikes. But I like consistency and for me to pretend like he wasn't a piece of trash on NE would be lying. Hopefully, he plays hard without being dirty. And his play is better than his mouth.

I was excited about the Spikes signing because it filled a glaring need with regards to the run defense at MLB. And the guy brings a certain 'edge' that has been lacking around these parts for a whiile. I get the feeling the defense is going to develop a 'we don't get no respect so we'll show them every Sunday' attitude and that fits into Schwartz's wheelhouse pretty well per the feedback I've gotten from some Lions fans I know at work.

As for SJ, he was an interesting personality, an honest guy that gave straight answers and told you what he was thinking. He was a good and productive receiver during his time with the Bills. But not faultless, with too many drops, some questionable judgment with TD demonstration penalties, and at times he displayed a lack of accountability when refusing to 'man up' to mistakes on the field.

I wasn't quite sold on the idea of trading him but I understand the coaching staff wanting to move on with the new generation here. My other thought was the dynamic between Steve and Harbaugh should produce some interesting interactions and perhaps some entertaining sideline moments during the season.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills