Spikes: Buffalo Bills 'gonna shock the world'

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watching NFL AM while getting ready for work and again Sean Merriman and TD pointed out the Bills are primed for a big year and making the playoffs. The title was Shocking the World. It's nice to see NFL pundits finally starting to take notice of some of the good things the Bills, specifically Whaley has done in the offseason the last couple of years.

Let's hope they are right. I'm certainly sick of hearing about the Cowboys, Eagles, and so on every day.

All about the QB.

Is it really though? I used to think like that and it's true when you're talking about Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. But for the majority of the QBs, it's not that cut and dry. The 49ers and Seahawks had the 2 lowest passing attempts in the NFL last year. IMO, EJ doesn't need to be Peyton to take the Bills to the playoffs. He jsut needs to limit his mistakes and make a few big plays throughout the game.

And I love swagger but Spikes talks too much. It's funny some people got sick of SJ talking so much and now love Spikes' attitude. Just play ball.

I used to think Spikes was a punk....I have changed my opinion of him. It appears Takeo really got through to him when he decided to sign here. Spikes looks genuinely excited to be here and prove himself. The fact that he took some special teams reps and smiled about almost seems to indicate he knew the coaches were sending a message to him...that he is no more important than any of the other guys out there. He has shown himself to be a somewhat humble professional (whereas other "stars" might tell the coach to pound salt if asked to go out on special teams). I'm not a Twitter guy, but Spikes might actually force me to sign up. I'm all in on this guy.

The Seahwaks beat Drew Brees and Sean Payton with Wilson passing for 100 yards.

Of course there's other ways to win. You basically switch the great QB comment with great defense comment, so if you think it's easier to build an elite defense than I'm on board with that route too.

Edited by Triple Threat

I used to think Spikes was a punk....I have changed my opinion of him. It appears Takeo really got through to him when he decided to sign here. Spikes looks genuinely excited to be here and prove himself. The fact that he took some special teams reps and smiled about almost seems to indicate he knew the coaches were sending a message to him...that he is no more important than any of the other guys out there. He has shown himself to be a somewhat humble professional (whereas other "stars" might tell the coach to pound salt if asked to go out on special teams). I'm not a Twitter guy, but Spikes might actually force me to sign up. I'm all in on this guy.

I don't know. I certainly want him to be a missing piece but I'm consistent. He was a piece of crap on the Pats. Those cheap shots he took on Chandler were bush league. I don't care if he was on the Bills when he did that. Also, let's not pretend like the market was going crazy for him. He needs us more than we need him IMO.

But much like TO, he talking the talk. Hopefully, he makes me a fan.

Of course there's other ways to win. You basically switch the great QB comment with great defense comment, so if you think it's easier to build an elite defense than I'm on board with that route too.

a

Agreed. I just think there are like 5 truly great QBs who single handedly win games. It's much easier building a balanced team than finding one of the great QBs. I think the Bills have done a good job with that. But this is a league where Alex Smith is a "winner." I don't see any reason why EJ can't be either, even if he isn't Peyton.

All about the QB.

EJ is going to be a game manager. JMO. And, I think he has the ability to be what Roethlisberger was for the Steelers early in his career. Not a stat monster, but a winner. I may be wrong, but to me he has a Donovan McNabb style that can win games IF he is not required to carry a team the way Andrew Luck/Brady/Manning/Brees sometimes have to do. The Bills won't ask EJ to do that, because that isn't the type of QB he is. But he has a lot of Russell Wilson in his preparation and mindset and he has a lot of physical talent. I like our chances with him behind center. If the Bills can run the ball and play defense, EJ has plenty of ability to get the ball to that group of WRs. if they can't do those other two things, he won't be able to win games for us. That's how I see it. I think it WILL happen for this team.

EJ is going to be a game manager. JMO. And, I think he has the ability to be what Roethlisberger was for the Steelers early in his career. Not a stat monster, but a winner. I may be wrong, but to me he has a Donovan McNabb style that can win games IF he is not required to carry a team the way Andrew Luck/Brady/Manning/Brees sometimes have to do. The Bills won't ask EJ to do that, because that isn't the type of QB he is. But he has a lot of Russell Wilson in his preparation and mindset and he has a lot of physical talent. I like our chances with him behind center. If the Bills can run the ball and play defense, EJ has plenty of ability to get the ball to that group of WRs. if they can't do those other two things, he won't be able to win games for us. That's how I see it. I think it WILL happen for this team.

That's fine. A "game manager" would be a dramatic improvement for EJ, quite honestly. Yes Russell Wilson had some rough outings last year but he moved the chains when he had to, and appeared to have made the proper calls at the line for the running game and protections, etc. Go back and watch EJ's outing in Pittsburgh (if you can stomach it) - he was nowhere near the "shock the world" level of QB play, manager or not... long way to go there.

Years of losing plus too much time and endless discussions (I am just as guilty, folks) tends to make people forget much of the good and remember the bad. EJ had bad moments last year but jeesh he was rookie. This kid played tough against the Cheatriots and the loss was not on him. Against the Panthers, he led the team down the field to win the game. He was incredible in the Atlanta game - TWICE leading the team to victory only to have his veteran receivers fumble the lead and eventually the game away. It is way too early to judge the kid. Yes, the Bills can win this year without him playing "great" but there is every reason to be hopeful he truly IS a great QB. I am more worried about his health to be honest than I am about his future ability to be a great QB. I simply saw too many good things in his rookie season to not be hopeful. -RnJ