NFL networks coverage of Michael Sam

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, whether you like it or not, this is a pretty huge story. Get used to it...like it or not, you will be hearing about this all summer... the NFL Network would have been crazy, and not doing their job (they have been on for 60 hours or something like that) if they didn't address it.

The reason he lasted this long is his being gay. That is all. Anybody saying otherwise is either lying or fooling himself. They picked a kid from Marist before this guy. He will help the Rams.

Maybe but maybe most teams didn't want the circus that follows

The reason he lasted this long is his being gay. That is all. Anybody saying otherwise is either lying or fooling himself. They picked a kid from Marist before this guy. He will help the Rams.

Look in the mirror.

Or because he is an undersized tweener with no real fit in the NFL at his size and weight. That could probably be it.

Or because he is an undersized tweener with no real fit in the NFL at his size and weight. That could probably be it.

Ding! Coupled with his poor showing at the Combine in February.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No it's because he is openly gay...you are lying to yourself

There are a handful of NFL executives that might not want him because he is gay; the other 95% of GM's and coaches are just looking at his football readiness for the NFL. The media, including the NFL network, are doing what they always do: hype a story. As for us, the fans, I think it breaks the same as NFL executives, a handful don't want him or don't like him because he is gay, most of us don't care one way or the other but want to know if he can play. Then there are probably a few gay people, NFL executives, players and some fans, that are rooting for him because he is gay. "Not that there is anything wrong with that." I'm not gay, but I gotta say, I'm kinda rooting for the kid. I hope he can play.

I think there's a significant segment of the population that not only cares that he's gay, but is excited to see someone just like them be himself and have the chance to compete on the big stage. I wish him all the best.

Who f'in cares except liberal newswriters who are looking for a lazy way to fill their copy.

If he keeps his affections out of the locker room, who cares.

If he doesn't, then his harrassment will get him run out of there, just the same as if he was intruding on others in any other fashion that is unacceptable.

Were you this upset about Antonio Coleman going undrafted after leading the SEC in sacks?

Who f'in cares except liberal newswriters who are looking for a lazy way to fill their copy.

If he keeps his affections out of the locker room, who cares.

If he doesn't, then his harrassment will get him run out of there, just the same as if he was intruding on others in any other fashion that is unacceptable.

^^Yea they sure have to worry about him kissing his team mates... :thumbdown:

Good for him being gay, but I turned on NFLN just now to see about the early life he had. A brother shot, a sister drown, a brother disappeared, two in jail, and some other stuff to the rest... the kid definitely rose above the surroundings and succeeded. Good for him, that he is gay, I just don't give a crap. To me it's not different then him being black, a man, or having two thumbs.

IMO, it is pretty important. It's a barrier being broken down. In the hunt for equality in our society, it's another step in the right direction. In the future, it'll hopefully be a non story, but for now it very much is.

Congrats to Michael Sam, and kudos to the Rams. Hopefully his teammates embrace him. Hopefully his opponents respect him as much as the next guy.

I found it curious, when Sam first came out, as I recall it was on a Friday, the first 24-48 hours of hype surrounding the story, pretty much everything I read/heard, said that he was projected to be a 2nd-3rd round draft pick. By Monday, when everyone in the media and the NFL was back from the weekend, all of the sudden, the SEC co-defensive player of the year, was being talked about as if he might not be drafted at all, of course, all based on his football abilities. It seemed like every team and every NFL executive tweeted out some statement of support for Sam. Don't know, it sure seemed like a choreographed, preemptive strike, from the NFL, because they knew damn well his sexuality was going to be an issue among a lot of their teams.

I don't discount the argument that teams may have just taken him off their list, because they didn't want the inevitable distraction this would cause, more than any homo-phobic issues...but it would be naive, and dishonest to pretend that was not a factor at all. He didn't have a great combine, but a lot of guys don't, but are still drafted for what they actually did in games... Sam played well in games...

Interesting to note, in the last 10 years, only 3 of 54 players named as defensive player of the year, in their conference, went undrafted. Of those 54, of the 10 from the SEC, only one went after the 2nd round. I realize their can be other factors involved in all of that...but, i think that is an indication that he maybe wasn't given the kind of consideration he might have been, if he hadn't come out.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/10/michael-sam-only-one-other-sec-defensive-player-of-the-year-has-been-drafted-outside-the-first-two-rounds/

Good for him being gay, but I turned on NFLN just now to see about the early life he had. A brother shot, a sister drown, a brother disappeared, two in jail, and some other stuff to the rest... the kid definitely rose above the surroundings and succeeded. Good for him, that he is gay, I just don't give a crap. To me it's not different then him being black, a man, or having two thumbs.

jboyst, I think many feel the same way as you...myself included. But there are obviously those who don't. It is still an issue for a significant number of people out there... seems as though most of Sams high school and college teammates knew, and had no issue. But there are a lot of folks, who aren't as accepting... whatever happens, this is an actual real legit news story...sure, we will all get sick of hearing about this...

They'd better hope so. They're committed. They can't cut him without an EEO lawsuit.

This is why no team wants to pick him!!!! Just shut up about it and let it go!!!! No one cares that he is gay!!!!

No one cares that he is gay, but he is pioneering being an openly gay football player, making history- which is why it's being covered like it is!!

I love these idiots who keep saying nobody cares. It's a major thing. I know you're protected and privileged life is comfortable, but it's not that way for everybody. I'm glad Michael Sam got drafted, and I will be rooting for him.

If he can announce to the world that he enjoys anal sex with men? Then is it cool for a straight guy to announce to the world that he enjoys anal sex with women? If so, where is our parade? I know that I am not alone here. Will male athletes be misunderstood if they admit to such a thing at a press conference? Will Mike Mayock speak of the need for dialogue on the issue? Should we keep some things private? Are we ready for a women's feet float in the Thanksgiving Day Parade? :beer:

In the last six years no SEC Defensive Player of the Year had been selected later than 17th overall...but I'm sure you're right.

In the last six years no SEC Defensive Player of the Year had been selected later than 17th overall...but I'm sure you're right.

How many of these 7 have you watched heavily? Could you tell me the differences? I brought up in this thread an SEC sack leader that likewise was too small for end and too slow for LB and he went completely undrafted.

How many of these 7 have you watched heavily? Could you tell me the differences? I brought up in this thread an SEC sack leader that likewise was too small for end and too slow for LB and he went completely undrafted.

To add to your point a little, Kelcy Quarles of South Carolina was 3rd in the SEC with 9.5 sacks this season. He went undrafted as well.

The simple fact is that the draft is highly competitive from a player's perspective. There's a reason it was 12 rounds as recently as 1992. There's still plenty of talent in seven rounds and its hardly unheard of for a midround projection to fall out of the draft after a disappointing combine or other misstep along the way.

Edited by Brandon

If he can announce to the world that he enjoys anal sex with men? Then is it cool for a straight guy to announce to the world that he enjoys anal sex with women? If so, where is our parade? I know that I am not alone here. Will male athletes be misunderstood if they admit to such a thing at a press conference? Will Mike Mayock speak of the need for dialogue on the issue? Should we keep some things private? Are we ready for a women's feet float in the Thanksgiving Day Parade? :beer:

Honestly? Do you really not understand the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behavior?

Zero and nope.....You?

Yea, I could, and many have. If you choose to ignore their assessments because it makes for a better story so be it. I will again point to Antonio Coleman who led the SEC in sacks a couple years ago and was a UDFA for us as a comparable player.

This is why no team wants to pick him!!!! Just shut up about it and let it go!!!! No one cares that he is gay!!!!

Did Rich Eisen start screaming Johnny Manzeil when he was talking about Sam or was he actually able to lay off for a few mins

There was one point today where he was complaining about ppl on twitter complaining about how much he talked about Manzeil and he just started screaming and every time someone else tried talking he would just start screaming Manzeil again

The coverage was absolutely brutal by both networks this year. Think I'm done with the televised broadcasts

Edited by Max997

Were you this upset about Antonio Coleman going undrafted after leading the SEC in sacks?

Since being a SEC Defensive Player of the Year and being the SEC sack leader have nothing to do with each other, I would bet not.

I bet it plays well to female/non-traditional demographic. Is there really that much info you're trying to ingest that an extra 10 minutes of buffer is a big deal? Like others have said, every 5 minutes there updating you on what color johnny footballs underwear is I'm happy whenever they bring me somethign new...even if it is just some liberal fodder.