NFL networks coverage of Michael Sam

It's a continued step towards social equality for the LGBT community. It's a big deal, in that regard. To ignore that, is to be purposefully obtuse.

I think the point that many (some?) are trying to make is that the Sam story is more of a human interest story and not the leading NFL football story of the draft weekend. So to use up the vast majority of NFL post-draft reporting on a late 7th round draft pick is what's aggravating to many. Sam may or may not have a decent NFL career, but it was definitely frustrating to tune into SportsCenter or Total Access this weekend to get some post draft analysis, only to see it dominated by Sam-related coverage.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point that many (some?) are trying to make is that the Sam story is more of a human interest story and not the leading NFL football story of the draft weekend. So to use up the vast majority of NFL post-draft reporting on a late 7th round draft pick is what's aggravating to many. Sam may or may not have a decent NFL career, but it was definitely frustrating to tune into SportsCenter or Total Access this weekend to get some post draft analysis, only to see it dominated by Sam-related coverage.

I'm going to submit that if he'd been drafted in the fifth the coverage window would have shrunk a bit. It happened at the end of the draft and hence allowed unneeded drama to build up.

Sam is a.... :)

Linky: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20063233

That being said. Unlike some, I actually don’t care much that he’s slow and or undersized as a situational DE. I see many players that have succeeded at his weight and at his position in the NFL. All those guys had tremendous heart though. Does Michael Sam? Not sure, I think his handling of this whole thing is somewhat suspect as I have stated in previous threads, but that just might be the cynical in me. I personally think that he and his handlers made a calculated decision to come out, and then relax that narrative and suggest that this was really about football. I don’t buy that, and history shows that for most gay men, and a lot of gay women, their sexuality is precisely what defines their motivations. Sam knew in his heart of hearts that he had a very small chance of getting drafted. He knew that there was a very eager liberal media that would embrace his coming out in a sport that is personified by masculinity, and he knew that one way or the other, being drafted not being drafted, the cause of the LGBT movement would progress by virtue of the exposure it would demand.

What I care about is the implicit bullying of NFL owners, and executives into submission. Does Sam get drafted if he does not come out? I dunno, no way of knowing, but probably not. He’s not very strong (for his size), he’s not very fast, and he’s not a prototypical DE in this league. There are many that went undrafted that were more in line with what NFL clubs expect from that position, albeit, less productive in college. Did the RAMS draft him out of pity? Did they draft him as a PR stunt? Are they ready to cut him, will they cut him? All very interesting story lines as we move to mini-camps. I for one am pulling for him, but I think we would all serve ourselves a teeny bit better if we at least look at possibility that this was all manufactured specifically because of the all-out left’s push for tolerance of LGBT issues. It was win-win for them, and a calculated move for Sam. Was it the right call? Well he did get drafted and has his shot.

Did the RAMS really think this through? I guessing they didn’t because like it or not, all eyes are on the RAMS this pre-season, and they along with their players are going to be bombarded with all eyes on Sam. I think that this will bother a lot of what would otherwise be a normal NFL off season for the RAMS players and executives. Me? I would have drafted him if I thought we could really use him. His measurables do not add up to being selected, so I personally wouldn’t have drafted him. Coupled with the off-field circus would simply have made the decision that much easier. Teams need to focus on football at this time of year. Players don’t need distractions, and Sam is a big one, even though Sam himself will say all the right things and that this is about football, I (the cynic) believe it’s much more than that to Sam.

Tim-

Poor powerless bullied NFL owners. When are we as a society going to recognize the the living hell we put billionaire NFL franchise owners through just because we think that players that are gay ought to be able to live truthfully rather than living in the shadows, all the time fearing that they will be found out and lose the career they have worked their whole life to achieve? It's high time we started worrying a bit more about beleaguered NFL owners and a little less about basic fairness and equal opportunities. Bless you for your insight on the long overlooked, shameful treatment of the richest and most powerful people on the planet.

I'm going to submit that if he'd been drafted in the fifth the coverage window would have shrunk a bit. It happened at the end of the draft and hence allowed unneeded drama to build up.

and the day one and two recaps to be beaten like dead horses at that point.

From a ratings standpoint, Sam sliding to the late 7th round was a godsend because they still had a developing story. But, since then, the reporting has gone overboard, because now people tuning into those programs are NFL fans, and they don't have much use for another story on the almost Mr. Irrelevant. Time for the Sam story to move to Outside the Lines and A Football Life.

From a ratings standpoint, Sam sliding to the late 7th round was a godsend because they still had a developing story. But, since then, the reporting has gone overboard, because now people tuning into those programs are NFL fans, and they don't have much use for another story on the almost Mr. Irrelevant. Time for the Sam story to move to Outside the Lines and A Football Life.

problem is, casual fans are still curious, and you will tune in no matter what - even though you have both already seen more in depth evaluations AND probably seen the ESPN take 38 times. much like tebow, and a variety of other stories that arent the most in depth but hook the borderline viewer.

Human interest stories have often times been the focus of SC and other sports programs/news. They are humans playing these sports, after all.

problem is, casual fans are still curious, and you will tune in no matter what - even though you have both already seen more in depth evaluations AND probably seen the ESPN take 38 times. much like tebow, and a variety of other stories that arent the most in depth but hook the borderline viewer.

I'm of the opposite view, I doubt that a casual fan would tune into the midnight showings of the draft recaps. I missed most of the live draft coverage and had zero luck getting a recap on the regular programs.

I can ignore it all he wants. And I was not making a political statement. If I was to make one it would be much more coarse but in my opinion the only reason for any politics to be involved in this is only for headlines and show boating. There are much more important duties for members of our government to be worried about then an NFL player.

Jackie Robinson has nothing to do with Michael Sam. But at that time I wouldn't have cared who was playing baseball, or any sport just like today. As long as they earned their spot and their coaching staff allows them, let them play. I don't care if it is a black midget tranny with pink hair that denies the holocaust and thinks that we never landed on the moon. Let'm play. It changes nothing, at least in my world. And for those affected by Michael Sam now playing in the NfL today who do not know him I can only question what things are important or not important in your life.

It is great we have come so far to have a black man in office, a gay NFL player, NBA player and freedom of religious expression is allowed. But, call me a simple man and I'm just fine with that, it simply doesn't effect my life. A man or woman of any color or sexuality or religion is still just a man or woman to me. I only get offended when an agenda is pushed down my throat and I am supposed to believe that there is no narrative or political allegiance

I am a simple person myself but I don't understand what agenda is being pushed down your throat? Do you feel that the media recognizing the historical relevance of Michael Sam results in an "agenda" being pushed down your throat?

Btw, the term "tranny" is highly offensive to people who are trans identified, it is sort of their equivalent of the "N" word. I don't think you were in any way consciously meaning to insult anyone by using it but being a polite and well mannered person, I thought you would want to know that you were unintentionally using hurtful language. Lots of words that we were once comfortable with, we would never use in polite company today such as the racist slurs against Italians, Polish immigrants, Jews and others we remember from our youth. "[T]ranny" is one of those words, so to is "midget". "Transgender" or simply "Trans" is the preferred and correct term both socially, medically and legally.

It seems to me that in this context you were trying to show just how fair minded you are, ie, so fair minded that you could even give fair consideration to a "tranny". Implicit in that statement is that there is every reason to not be fair minded with such people. In retrospect, you might consider that this wasn't exactly the best way to show how little you care about other people's differences.

Poor powerless bullied NFL owners. When are we as a society going to recognize the the living hell we put billionaire NFL franchise owners through just because we think that players that are gay ought to be able to live truthfully rather than living in the shadows, all the time fearing that they will be found out and lose the career they have worked their whole life to achieve? It's high time we started worrying a bit more about beleaguered NFL owners and a little less about basic fairness and equal opportunities. Bless you for your insight on the long overlooked, shameful treatment of the richest and most powerful people on the planet.

Hey Mick, judging by your sigline you appear to be a flaming liberal so I’ll give you only some limited time, as mine is very valuable being a capitalist and all. Oh, and aren’t you a fan of football and I assume sports in general? Strange that you would scoff at the owners of professional sports teams as an after-thought. Heck, maybe we should let Joe down the street own the team. It’s not fair that he only makes $10 an hour.. Everyone should own a team.. LOL obvious silliness aside..

As to Sam, my comments are a real perception of just how things went down. Not the media or Sam version but how I envisioned it actually happened. You can disagree all you like, heck I encourage it. Whether or not a gay person wants to hide in the closest is his or her own choice. No one is forcing it on them, no one is beating them in the streets despite media reports that get attention it simply does not happen; and if they want to do this or that but can’t come out in fear of not being able to do this or that, then it speaks volumes to their real character. The polarization of views on a number of political matters is a glaring elephant in the room right now in this nation. Being led, (which the word “led” is almost oxymoronic in this syntax) by the President, emboldened by a totally complicit media is amusing. Alarming that some here cannot see it, it begs several questions as to the true health of our nation, but I digress… Gays have made significant progress in just the last ten years, but I warn you that this bullying tactic, screaming homophobe, and bigot at the very hint of distaste of gay issues, is a façade. It only serves to prop up a phony sense of tolerance.

People generally tolerate a lot of things, but do they ever really accept them? Not usually. People also don’t like being told what to think or what to say. This is America bro.. Michael Sam sticks his penis into another man’s anal canal for gratification, and the fact that this visual would be grotesque to MOST men seems like a foreign almost unimaginable response when speaking to the left rhetorical machine. It’s laughable to an extreme level of ignorance. Why do straight men tolerate lesbian sex---à gee I have no idea.. None at all, do you? I see no evolutionary advantage to homosexual behavior, NONE zero zilch. I see NO evidence credible or otherwise invented, to suggest that homosexuality is a condition of one’s genetic disposition, yet, like a religion in the twilight zone we are all supposed to just shut up and not point it out. Long term societal ramifications be damned. As to those ramifications of an accepting and completely tolerant society of sexual behavior.. I can think of a few, and I can point to evidence already available to suggest the correlations are real, but perhaps another discussion. This is a sports forum mostly and I very rarely delve into the PPP forums. I do that on other forums. I come here to talk sports.. A sport I love..

Cheers to you, and have a wonderful, glorious day!

Tim-

Agreed

Do folks think Jackie Robinson was just another baseball player whom the liberal media makes too much of? If we were watching coverage of his entry into MLB would you say "who cares" But you will argue that's different because folks saying they don't approve of blacks mixing with whites in sports were clearly wrong but the followers of the "gay lifestyle" are an entirely different issue?

May seem like that to some today but it also seemed pretty important to keep blacks out of white professional sports not that long ago.

As a 7th round pick he isn't likely to have a great career but he broke a barrier here that lots of responses in this and the other thread are clearly showing proof still exists.

This is where the Sam crowd loses me. I agree that if a gay guy is good enough to play he should be able to play without being harassed more than anyone else, but comparing him to Jackie Robinson is so beyond the pale, I'd say it's borderline offensive.

There are a handful of NFL executives that might not want him because he is gay; the other 95% of GM's and coaches are just looking at his football readiness for the NFL. The media, including the NFL network, are doing what they always do: hype a story. As for us, the fans, I think it breaks the same as NFL executives, a handful don't want him or don't like him because he is gay, most of us don't care one way or the other but want to know if he can play. Then there are probably a few gay people, NFL executives, players and some fans, that are rooting for him because he is gay. "Not that there is anything wrong with that." I'm not gay, but I gotta say, I'm kinda rooting for the kid. I hope he can play.

The most annoying phrase on the planet. I think everyone already knows you cant say bad things about gays. If you do, you have to apologize to the media, the world, etc.

Dont really care about gay issues. However I do love lesbians.

I agree that if a gay guy is good enough to play he should be able to play without being harassed more than anyone else, but comparing him to Jackie Robinson is so beyond the pale, I'd say it's borderline offensive.

I heard that Jackie was openly black at the time.

I am a simple person myself but I don't understand what agenda is being pushed down your throat? Do you feel that the media recognizing the historical relevance of Michael Sam results in an "agenda" being pushed down your throat?

Btw, the term "tranny" is highly offensive to people who are trans identified, it is sort of their equivalent of the "N" word. I don't think you were in any way consciously meaning to insult anyone by using it but being a polite and well mannered person, I thought you would want to know that you were unintentionally using hurtful language. Lots of words that we were once comfortable with, we would never use in polite company today such as the racist slurs against Italians, Polish immigrants, Jews and others we remember from our youth. "[T]ranny" is one of those words, so to is "midget". "Transgender" or simply "Trans" is the preferred and correct term both socially, medically and legally.

It seems to me that in this context you were trying to show just how fair minded you are, ie, so fair minded that you could even give fair consideration to a "tranny". Implicit in that statement is that there is every reason to not be fair minded with such people. In retrospect, you might consider that this wasn't exactly the best way to show how little you care about other people's differences.

Meh, I just don't care about other people. So, I'll see your not caring about their differences and just go ahead and say that I generally do not care about other people. The 100-150 people I know and regularly associate with, even if it is on here (and those are mostly the ones I know personally) matter to me. All others, Jackie Robinson, Michael Sam, Michal Jordan, the country of Jordan.

None of those people affect me and therefore I simply do not waste a moments thought about them and just wish them well and hope they do just fine. Yup, I'm pretty simple like that. A nice as can be guy but not going to waste my time thinking about Thurman Thomas, C. Thomas Howell...well you get the idea.

I'm of the opposite view, I doubt that a casual fan would tune into the midnight showings of the draft recaps. I missed most of the live draft coverage and had zero luck getting a recap on the regular programs.

unfortunately for you, espn ratings tend to pain a different picture from my understanding. theres a reason that someone like Tebow got so much coverage and it wasnt diehard fans or his elite football skills. espn ratings went through the roof with the mere passing mention of his name. the guy up at midnight flipping through the channels that didnt care enough to watch the draft is much more likely to stop on a story than true analysis of day 3 picks.

Things that are not ironic:

o Rain on your wedding day

o A free ride when you've already paid

o The good advice that you just didn't take

Things that are ironic:

It's interesting how society has changed. The overwhelming support even in this thread is proof that the battle is being won. I'm sure there's hundreds of people that have read this thread that disagree with Michael Sam's lifestyle and are afraid to comment. This is proof that change isn't coming - it's here. The tolerance has been achieved - because even those that disagree won't voice their opinion and have been silenced. It is no longer acceptable in the USA to object the gay lifestyle.

Well played, sir.