WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

To put it in perspective I told my co-worker here on the West Coast my Bills just traded Stevie Johnson. He said, "who"?

Here's hoping Sammy is truly worth the trade-up.

I take it that your co-worker does not really follow the NFL.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guy who appreciated the fact the Bills gave him a shot and he represented Buffalo proudly.

Having said that, he just did not seem to fit well with Marrone. I do not dislike Stevie. I do however think Stevie was being asked to be something he was not, a number one, clutch receiver. Winners win. Meaning they make the catch against the Steelers and Jets. They do not fumble against the Falcons. Did Stevie lose those games? No. But when he could have helped win them he did not step up.

I always liked Stevie, but I see how this was inevitable. I hope he does well in San Fran and that conditional pick turns into a third rounder for the Bills.

Agreed. I can only wish him well and I will never understand the fans who hate.

Great guy who appreciated the fact the Bills gave him a shot and he represented Buffalo proudly.

Having said that, he just did not seem to fit well with Marrone. I do not dislike Stevie. I do however think Stevie was being asked to be something he was not, a number one, clutch receiver. Winners win. Meaning they make the catch against the Steelers and Jets. They do not fumble against the Falcons,they make crucial late 4th quarter 3rd down conversion catches against the Pats,. Did Stevie lose those games? No. But when he could have helped win them he did not step up.

Per schefter. For fourth round pick

@AdamSchefter: Filed to ESPN: 49ers trading a conditoonal 2015 4th-round pick to Buffalo for WR Stevie Johnson, per sources. Pick can become a 3rd.

I am happy for him he is going home. Thank you for your time here in Buffalo Stevie!

Thanks, Stevie, and I hope that he's happy and productive in San Francisco.

I generally agree with you but the reason the 49ers have a winning culture is making smart moves like this. Also, should we trade Kyle and Mario Williams? They are part of the losing culture as well?

I'm never negative and I'm praying I'm wrong. But I see SJ being a major contributer to a good team with championship hopes while our young guys learn the ropes from Mike Williams.

The 49ers culture became "winning" 2-3 seasons ago, with the arrival of Harbaugh. Before that they were schitt. The new Buffalo regime clearly wants a certain type of player and personality in the locker room. I suspect Stevie -- despite being Mr. Fun-N-Games in the world of social media and outside interests -- did not necessarily project the attitude they are looking for. He's a great guy and I wish him well, but I don't have a problem with this move -- not one bit.

regardless of our opinions of the colorful Stevie Johnson (I happen to like the guy), this move is largely about playing time for Watkins, Woods, Williams and Goodwin - 3 of which they really can't afford to NOT have on the field and 2 of which are likely going to surpass Stevie in ability and consistency THIS season.

I think this is the key point, and one i think EBall made as well. Throw in EJ to this mix, all first and 2nd year players with no baggage/ties to the pre Marrone/Whaley Bills. Build chemistry for the long term.

I also think SJ13 always being a step away from a pulled hammy just gets to the point where you cant rely on the gu

Since he was traded for a #4, and we gave away our #4 next year, the Watkins trade just basically became two #1's and Stevie Johnson for Sammy Watkins.

Because of the addition of MWilliams, it made Stevie easily expendable considering his contract. I wish him well.

Cuz mike Williams is the Goat around here.

I think this is the key point, and one i think EBall made as well. Throw in EJ to this mix, all first and 2nd year players with no baggage/ties to the pre Marrone/Whaley Bills. Build chemistry for the long term.

I also think SJ13 always being a step away from a pulled hammy just gets to the point where you cant rely on the guy

That groin and hammies of his do seem to be in perpetual states of distress, no?

Having said that, he just did not seem to fit well with Marrone. I do not dislike Stevie. I do however think Stevie was being asked to be something he was not, a number one, clutch receiver. Winners win. Meaning they make the catch against the Steelers and Jets. They do not fumble against the Falcons. Did Stevie lose those games? No. But when he could have helped win them he did not step up.

And, they make the catch in the Pats game last year.

Listen, i am a front of jersey guy, i like Stevie, but he is no longer a Bill.

Let him play on a bum wheel somewhere else

I still can't believe we couldn't have gotten a 3rd this year from Carolina. They are a playoff team with a championship-caliber Defense, but have literally nothing at WR except a very raw WR/TE tweener. It makes too much sense. You have to wonder if the Bills FO was hounding them.

Best of luck to Stevie. Kept clean off the field, worked his way from a 7th rounder, and always stumped for the Bills. Now he gets to go back home and potentially finish his career. Can't say I'm surprised given the logjam of talented young and cheaper receivers.