WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Led all rookie receivers in the NFL in yardage (964)...and had 996 in another year.....

BUT STEVIE HAD 1004!

really, i agree, using that as a benchmark to separate the two is incredibly pointless.

Graham - Shouldn't be on a NFL roster

Woods - Unproven but perhaps could be a #2

Goodwin - A burner

Watkins - High upside to be a #1 but has never played an NFL game

Williams - HUGE wildcard on and off the field.

We traded our most reliable WR at a time our starting WR core is very raw and unproven. However the bigger issue with trading stevie is losing a proven body that can play the position. Injuries happen and we have horrific depth beyond these guys.

I don't think we are good enough or have the depth that makes it smart to trade a guy like Stevie.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I would suggest practicing taking deep breaths. This was a business decision. Decisions like this happen in the NFL every year. Take a look at the long list of current veterans who don't have a job. There are some pretty decent players there.

It's the way things go.

No NFL franchise is broke. It's called the salary cap.

The writing is on the wall for the Buffalo Bills. Everything links together: Goddell comments on RWS, the trade up for Watkins, the trade of SJ.

The franchise is broke.

They didn't want to pay SJ's salary. They know they're going to stink next year, so they don't want to pay a first-round pick next year. They're cutting expenses like crazy to either make the team more attractive to a buyer, or to move the team to LA. It's just obvious.

Because we spent 2 first round picks. We spent this years 1st, and next years 1st. We aren't getting next years back. So the Bills used two firsts and a fourth to grab Watkins.

No...we lost/spent one first round pick. It's a question of Sammy-antics

Stevie was gone next year anyway...he wasn't worth the contract Nix gave, so I see it as getting something for him now instead of teams knowing he was going to get cut next year...

Interesting thread by Seattle fans makes it sounds like the Bills are a bunch of bumbling idiots. I disagree with their take. Do they even take into consideration Stevie's gimpy groin every year? or that Watkins will be um, great?!?

http://www.seahawks....php?f=4&t=92804

Seattle fans are generally bandwagon fans like Pats fans. Most couldn't prob. name 5 players on their team. Or their last head coach.

Interesting thread by Seattle fans makes it sounds like the Bills are a bunch of bumbling idiots. I disagree with their take. Do they even take into consideration Stevie's gimpy groin every year? or that Watkins will be um, great?!?

http://www.seahawks....php?f=4&t=92804

Watkins is an unknown. he could flop. If that happens the Bills are in trouble and we get to start the GM, Coach and rebuild process all over again.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92804

So that's where the logical discussion of this move is taking place.

Reading some of the comments on here is making my head hurt.

He's an excellent player that we got rid of for basically nothing. This is an unbelievably stupid move and typical of the mouthbreathing crowd to be happy about it.

We are the laughing stock of the league yet again.

HATE THIS

We trade up to get EJ a WR-- sacrificing next year's #1 pick-- and then drop out most productive WR for a #4???

This looks like a front office that has no long range plan-- just going day by day.

Or maybe they just prefer Williams to Johnson?

Seattle fans are generally bandwagon fans like Pats fans. Most couldn't prob. name 5 players on their team. Or their last head coach.

Yea that team that just won the SB wouldnt know anything about how it looks to build a team. lets take Buffalos route and miss out on even getting a chance year after year, after year, after year, after year, after year.

BTW this was a great move by the Bills brass. They get a 4th for a guy that likely would have been released. Now move back in the second and grab an extra second next year. This would make the Watkins deal much more palatable. Let's face it folks Stevie was not in the future plans of this team. I wish him well.

I am probably one of the more negative guys on this board (hence the probationary status) but I am starting to believe that the front office knows what they are doing.

This is just absurd. What if Williams doesn't work out? What if he isn't worth $6+ million?

We would be down to Woods, Watkins, and Goodwin.

We essentially just spent two 1st rounders and stevie Johnson on Watkins. Overkill?

Williams is only $2 million or less next year. It jumps to $5 the following year. He has a one year tryout or he will be bagging groceries. So, he needs to play to get paid. We are no hook cap wise as the Bucs have eaten that portion.

Stevie was gone next year anyway...he wasn't worth the contract Nix gave, so I see it as getting something for him now instead of teams knowing he was going to get cut next year...

this is a good take on it. If he didn't perform this year, which is a high possibility given the lack of chemistry he had with EJ when he was in games, and his injury issues, he would have had no value next year. This is a pretty good return. Also a good get for the 49ers because he won't draw top corner coverage (crabetree will) and will provide Kap another receiver.