WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

The writing is on the wall for the Buffalo Bills. Everything links together: Goddell comments on RWS, the trade up for Watkins, the trade of SJ.

The franchise is broke.

They didn't want to pay SJ's salary. They know they're going to stink next year, so they don't want to pay a first-round pick next year. They're cutting expenses like crazy to either make the team more attractive to a buyer, or to move the team to LA. It's just obvious.

OMFG!

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised by all of the animosity that I'm reading about this. I have long-defended Stevie- but this deal is a no-brainer. Makes sense for both teams. And there have been countless people on this board clamoring for the Bills to get rid of Johnson for years- now all of a sudden there is this outcry about his being dealt. The schizophrenia here is absolutely amazing!

Well said.. you know if they would have kept him, the first big drop at a crucial time in a game this season they would have said we should have traded him in the off-season while he had some value left.

Anquan Boldin got what a 6th round pick... this is pretty good value here. EJ and Stevie were not on the same page this season when they were both in there.

SJ has a perpetual groin injury on top of that and had a connection with Fitz that may not be duplicated because he is so unconventional. Yea he can get open but it takes a while to develop and when the ball is thrown he can't make the catch anyways..

Graham - Shouldn't be on a NFL roster

Woods - Unproven but perhaps could be a #2

Goodwin - A burner

Watkins - High upside to be a #1 but has never played an NFL game

Williams - HUGE wildcard on and off the field.

We traded our most reliable WR at a time our starting WR core is very raw and unproven. However the bigger issue with trading stevie is losing a proven body that can play the position. Injuries happen and we have horrific depth beyond these guys.

I don't think we are good enough or have the depth that makes it smart to trade a guy like Stevie.

I suspect that there are issues between Stevie and Marrone that may have become impossible to work out. Since we don't know exactly what the issues are, I won't lay blame on either one. This is a typical business deal. High salary cap+injury problems+new coach and staff = trade, or cut.

Whether this was a good decision or not will be determined by the team's W-L record this coming season.

Yea that team that just won the SB wouldnt know anything about how it looks to build a team. lets take Buffalos route and miss out on even getting a chance year after year, after year, after year, after year, after year.

was I commenting on the team or its fans?? what does my opinion of the teams fans have to do with my opinion of the teams coaching staff and front office, which I did not comment on. ??

I don't like the trade. We get a 4th next year - not a lot of value. If it becomes a 3rd I'd feel a little better. But not much. I don't see Mike Williams as a viable replacement, and in fact there's reason for concern that he may flame out in one way or another. In which case, we just lost one of our top receivers because we were "too crowded" at the position. Watkins may be great, but many rookie receivers take until year 3 to break out. I have to wonder if Stevie was looking to go back to SF for personal reasons. Anyhow, I don't think we are taking big steps forward this offseason so far.

Would you ratherhave:

Watkins

Late 4th round pick in 2015

Playoffs?

OR

Stevie Johnson on the bench with ice pack on his groin

9th overall pick this year

Top 12 pick in 2015 adding another year out of the playoffs

Early 4th round pick in 2015 so they can add another D'Norris Searcy, Duke Williams, Marcus Easley, Shawn Nelson, Reggie Corner, Derek Fine, Dwayne Wright or other 4th round talent

Name one GM in the NFL who would make this trade??? (other than Whaley obviously)

I'll take the former. At least he's trying to make the team better NOW.

Basically the Bills gave up a 1st round pick next year to move up 5 spots and get Watkins. The rest is no loss. Whaley had a great draft last year. Maybe he knows what he's doing?

Edited by John Adams

Interesting thread by Seattle fans makes it sounds like the Bills are a bunch of bumbling idiots. I disagree with their take. Do they even take into consideration Stevie's gimpy groin every year? or that Watkins will be um, great?!?

http://www.seahawks....php?f=4&t=92804

Not unlike the reaction here when the Pats* got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder.

Problem is they won't spend the money they save on Stevie... Or did the Bills eat some salary? If not, same story, different day.

However, the move makes sense. I'd hope it points toward a TE (Niklas!) But OT and DE are too pressing im sure.

Edited by SmokinES3

The Bills brass must have thought they would never get a better offer than what SF was willing to give up right now. And SF has 5 picks in rounds 2 and 3 this year, so SF had plenty of ammunition to play with. Personally, I would have liked to have kept SJ on the team at least into the pre-season and use him as trade bait when some other team has injuries to their starting WRs. *shrug*

I would agree. This seems like the most we could get for him. They have done their homework and shopping and know the value. If they could have gotten a higher pick or a 4th in this years draft they would have done it. Especially since the 4th round is not till tomorrow, so, they could not have been close to getting a 4th this year. If they were close, I don't think they would have done this deal till after rounds two and three unless they were scared SF would draft a WR and this offer would dry up. Carolina must not have been interested too. I thought it was more than we could have got for him.

Well, I doubt he will mouth off and say he tosses the offseason conditioning book away, with the niners.

kap, watch out for #13 if the game is on the line.

adios, colorful character, who the bills parlayed a 7th round talent into a 4 or maybe 3rd rounder Ina trade. if he sticks with the team.

In the end a player that was part of the 7 of the 14 year drought, is gone. 1000 yard seasons in this era are no biggie at all. It will be much more exciting watching a new player who can be clutch and a game changer. SJ13 was not even close to that. Good luck being a small fish in a big pond in niner land dude.

I agree with this. You people are acting like Stevie is the guy that took us to the promise land. He has never been on a team with a winning record before. decent receiver but there is noway the Bills were bringing him back this season at his salary & his production. If they don't trade him my guess is he would of been a training camp cut. He will put up decent numbers with the 49ers & he is probably excite as hell to being going home. The Bills may get a 3rd for him whe it is all said & done & they get rid of a player that they were not to fond of all along dumping a pretty significant salary. I think it is a good trade for everybody involved.

So is any 4th round pick gonna put up numbers as good as Stevie is having? This is almost as bad as the Marshawn Lynch trade. We get screwed (again).

It is certainly in the same class as trading Marshawn Lynch. How did that work out? This is a great trade for the 49er's. They get a proven NFL receiver for a 4th round pick. Sweet deal. The Bills front office seems determined to make their last few months on the job memorable, if not productive!

Bad deal.

The Bills re-signed Stevie Johnson and Buddy Nix said, "One of our philosophies coming in is that we wanted to keep our good players here. We were able to do that with Steve Johnson." Now Nix wasn't too successful overall, but keeping your best players is generally a good idea.

I guess Doug Whaley has a different philosophy. Trade away next year's 1st and 4th round picks to move up 5 slots in the draft. Whaley lets our best safety go for free (Jairus Byrd) and lets our best receiver (Stevie Johnson) go for a likely very late 4th round pick. Is this a winning strategy?

Cause that Williams guy, he has not antics or character concerns.

Not on the field he doesn’t. When healthy he produces pretty well. Not saying I wanted to see Stevie go, but it’s not like Mike Will is some bum.

He might have more talent than Stevie. He definitely doesn’t have less talent. Bills WR core is still potentially dominant. And I can’t wait to

see Watkins and Goodwin on the field at one time. And I’ve said that Woods is Reggie Wayne’s reincarnation sooner than later.

Watkins is an unknown. he could flop. If that happens the Bills are in trouble and we get to start the GM, Coach and rebuild process all over again.

The guy penciled in to throw the rock has a bigger chance of flopping IMO. Either way a house cleaning with new ownership will happen at more than one job at OBD. Win or lose with the pick yesterday.