Selling of Bills Could Happen Even Sooner

I think the Milstein news today makes Niagara Falls site more likely. Would look too shady if Milstein buys the Bills, then Cuomo and the local politicians hand over hundreds of millions in taxpayer money to build a stadium on his land. People would go more nuts than they already would have when new stadium is heavily taxpayer-subsidized

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Milstein knows there are other people he has close ties with that will be buying the team so he's not going to drive up the price on them. He helps them, they help him (new stadium on his land)

I would bet that Milstein is out because there is another stronger candidate that is a front runner and he doesn't want to compete. He probably also realizes his consolation prize will be a fat new stadium on his NF land.

I would bet that Milstein is out because there is another stronger candidate that is a front runner and he doesn't want to compete. He probably also realizes his consolation prize will be a fat new stadium on his NF land.

It will be an utter travesty if, with everything that is going on in downtown Buffalo these days, they put the stadium in Niagara Falls.

It will be an utter travesty if, with everything that is going on in downtown Buffalo these days, they put the stadium in Niagara Falls.

Not to be the hyperbole police but it would be an utter travesty if the team moved to Toronto. If the state and owner feel NF is the best option to keep them fine. The same goes for downtown, Amherst by UB, etc... Edited by Kirby Jackson

Another stadium site is proposed: Linky

There is already a proposal that would put a stadium in the Outer Harbor. This group’s stadium would not be there, but close. Architect John Karan said, “The stadium is located just south of the small boat harbor. There’s an industrial park there that is basically empty, there’s a couple of buildings there. There’s enough parking space for the stadium. What we’re planning is a stadium on the east side of Route 5. On the west side of Route 5 would be the Buffalo Convention Center on the waterfront between a couple of grain mills with a platform over the top of Route 5 where the future subway could be extended.”

I'm trying to figure out exactly where this is. Is he talking about just west of Lackawanna? Or am I completely off base? If so, I have a hard time figuring out how traffic would get in and out of there.

West of Lackawanna puts you in the lake

Not to be the hyperbole police but it would be an utter travesty if the team moved to Toronto. If the state and owner feel NF is the best option to keep them fine. The same goes for downtown, Amherst by UB, etc...

Exactly!

I'm trying to figure out exactly where this is. Is he talking about just west of Lackawanna? Or am I completely off base? If so, I have a hard time figuring out how traffic would get in and out of there.

East of Route 5 & Tift Street, the proposed convention center would be West of Route 5. Anyone who thought Niagara Falls would be a nightmare for traffic, will really hate this idea.

It's around the Tiff Farm nature preserve and the old GM assembly plant (later used as the old Nano Dynamics complex).

Horrible idea, BTW. That area would be an island, cut off from all of the other inner harbor development now underway. The exact wrong way to build any critical mass or synergies.

Good thing the proposal will likely get about as much notice as a fart in the wind...

The first I saw of it was on Twitter by Tim Graham.

ByTimGraham

Howard Milstein tells The Buffalo News he will not bid on the Buffalo Bills or participate in any attempt to purchase the team.

5/12/14, 10:07 AM

Wow. Interesting, TG. Surprised the AP didn't break this one. They seemed to have some secret info regarding Milstein's intentions.

It would be good to have a poll of where the stadium location stadium location will be. We could plot each location on google maps (understanding that I recall AECOM studying only 4 possible sites for Gov. Cuomo). Plus OP plus any other locations we can think of. I am having trouble keeping track of where those specific locations might be and I've been away from the area so am not as familiar with the area as I used to be. And I am a technological moron to be skilled enought to set up a poll. LOL

Donald Trump as Bills owner is outlandish idea, says USFL expert

"Good people of Buffalo, take up a collection, pass the hat, start a fund, anything you can do to keep this away from him, anything to outbid him,'' said Mike Tollin, the movie and television producer and director who created "Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?" for ESPN's "30 For 30" documentary series in 2009.

"Who are we kidding,'' Tollin told Sporting News. "He can't afford it. That Forbes report that he's worth $3 billion, that's a greater mythology than the one that the USFL won the lawsuit, which he continues to propagate.''

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-05-13/buffalo-bills-donald-trump-ownership-mistake-usfl-mike-tollin-espn

Edited by papazoid

I mean, !@#$ Robert Kraft and the Patriot* Way, but...

Lauren Brill@LaurenBrill4 2m

Patriots owner Robert Kraft just told me he fully supports the Bills staying in Buffalo and will do everything he can to make that happen.

Patriots are 20-2 Last 11 years vs the Bills. I'd do whatever I could to keep that team in the division too.

I think Milstein knows there are other people he has close ties with that will be buying the team so he's not going to drive up the price on them. He helps them, they help him (new stadium on his land)

I think this is it - he's been informed that someone else has the inside track and is bowing out to save face and to preserve some hope of having his NF land bought out from under him.

Good to hear Kraft's comments, BTW (assuming the source is legitimate).

Can't stand his team, but I can't hate on Kraft Dinner. Like the Rooneys in Pgh, I wish my favorite team was run so well.

Edit: I wonder if the eventual owners' vote on a new owner will be a matter of public record? If so, would be odd for Kraft Dinner to make these comments and then vote the other way.

Edited by jimmyo

Can't stand his team, but I can't hate on Kraft Dinner. Like the Rooneys in Pgh, I wish my favorite team was run so well.

Edit: I wonder if the eventual owners' vote on a new owner will be a matter of public record? If so, would be odd for Kraft Dinner to make these comments and then vote the other way.

I'm not sure the actual votes (on an owner-for-owner basis) will be made public; only whether or not the new owner is approved and perhaps by what margin. In all likelihood though, it'll be unanimous...almost always is from what I can remember (Khan, Kroenke).

I'll tell you this right now: either Jacobs or Pegula would be unanimously approved in a heartbeat.

When Ralph passed, many of the remembrances of him stated he voted against team relocation every time there was a vote--- I don't know if it's necesarily considered a matter of public record, but I'd imagine it would become public fairly quickly.

Good to hear Kraft's comments, BTW (assuming the source is legitimate).

Kraft said the same thing right after Ralph passed (saw it on NFL Network, I believe). Apparently, he's on record at least twice now stating this. Whether it's just lip service and he's being disingenuous is another matter. For Bills fans everywhere, let's hope he's telling the truth.

Kraft said the same thing right after Ralph passed (saw it on NFL Network, I believe). Apparently, he's on record at least twice now stating this. Whether it's just lip service and he's being disingenuous is another matter. For Bills fans everywhere, let's hope he's telling the truth.

Krafty is one of the most disingenuous people you'll never meet. I do, however, subscribe to the theory that he would much prefer the Bills to remain in Buffalo so he can lord over the franchise with deeper pockets. He personally would not make a lot more money if the Bills were in LA anyway.

Krafty is one of the most disingenuous people you'll never meet. I do, however, subscribe to the theory that he would much prefer the Bills to remain in Buffalo so he can lord over the franchise with deeper pockets. He personally would not make a lot more money if the Bills were in LA anyway.

I agree with you wholeheartedly WRT Kraft, Kelly. I believe he & Little Dummy Snyder were just being 'PC' and saying what people wanted to hear after Ralph's passing. I've always thought Kraft was only slightly better than Jerruh Jones & Snyder on the scumbag scale but still lump all three of them in the "what's in it for me" group of owners rather than the "what's best for the league" group (i.e., Ralph). To me, they represent everything that is wrong with today's NFL and its endless corporate greed. Kraft's statement, while nice on the surface, does not give me any "warm and fuzzy" or added hope that the Bills will remain in WNY. I take him with a large grain of salt. JMO.

Doesn't surprise me that Kraft appreciates Buffalo. Sat behind me with his box window open at about every Pats game in Buffalo for the last 6 years. seems to love the atmosphere.