Selling of Bills Could Happen Even Sooner

Makes me think that Ralph had someone lined up.

I felt that the minute Russ Brandon took over. I think he and the Sr. Staff have known the plan all along and who the new buyer was. I also believe they were on board with Brandon, Whaley etal. Staying the course and being the front office/ Staff for the new owners as well.

I just want Jeffery Litman's ass kicked to the curb. Again, I pray new owner will spend what he needs to and his #1 Goal is winning period

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's started a while ago for me.

oh, I've grown tired of them for a while. The Tebow thing didn't bother me. The nonsense they run in the day is what does. Around the horn used to be the worst show they had. Now its the second best to PTI.

They removed original content and creative artistry, eroded all other content to quips, quotes and storylines and now make me feel as if their take on sports is a soap opera.

To make me hate something takes a lot. I don't like to work that hard. But seeing their site use bloggers to take credit for other journalists work gets me. Especially when cherry picked and ill informed.

I hope the Bills stay in Buffalo, but as usual everybody reads into the article what they want to believe. The article mainly says that the sale might take place quicker than many previously anticipated, so the state wants to be ready to push for that new owner to stay in WNY. The article specifically states that Duffy said that he doesn't know who the new owner may be or what that new owner's goals may be:

We're just being prepared because we don't know who the next owner will be. We're not sure what the goals and the objectives of the next ownership team will be."

If the fix is in for the new owner to be a local person that will definitely keep the Bills in WNY, why would the state be in a rush to prepare a report about possible new WNY stadium options in 90 days or so (immediately after any early sale), rather than in 6 months or so when the "New Stadium Working Group" committee has prepared its own report?

While it can't hurt to have potential bidders tour possible sites for a new WNY stadium, a quick new owner decision doesn't necessarily mean it will be someone local - - it could still go either way.

Just my opinion - - flame it if you want.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

God I hope so. Not only just to get stability but for the press, and all of us to finally SHUT UP about it. LOL.

I have felt there was a person/ Group already ordained to take the reigns. And people keep talking about 'bidding' who says there has to be bids? Mary Wilson owns this team, if she says ' Its Donald Trumps if he wants it' then all she needs is league approval.

Maybe its worth 1.1 Billion, but maybe she just wants 700 mill and GTFO? See there are many things that have been missing in reports, #1 is this is Mary Wilsons, not Buffalo's, Not the States, Not Erie Counties, Not some trust....Mary Wilsons to sell.

My only fear is there are buzzards out there that see Buffalo fans flock to the stadium year, after year, after decade and fill the stands even though Ralph Wilson fielded a **** team. Now a pure money man sees nothing but lemmings willing to line his pockets. I pray and I suggest you do too even if you don't believe in God or Buda or whatever, we find a guy that wants to put WINNING as #1 and financially be ok with the purchase of the team being a tax write off for 20 years or so. Put ALL the money back into this team.

Also an ownership group also worries me. Groups tend to worry more about the ROI of the investment, not the product of the team.

That said, yeah I can see it sold by July and approved in October, its best for the Team, League, and fans.

Mary may be acting owner but I'm guessing it's how the trust was structured on the final outcome of the sale. The Ralph ain't cheap in me hopes he set it up with WNY interests having exclusive rights to bid.

This can only mean one thing (if true): this had been in the works for some time.

yup :thumbsup:

Would make for an entertaining press conference.

LMAO :w00t: Love to see the Bills roll him out first at the presser ! I'd die laughing !

Mary may be acting owner but I'm guessing it's how the trust was structured on the final outcome of the sale. The Ralph ain't cheap in me hopes he set it up with WNY interests having exclusive rights to bid.

FWIW, from an article based on an interview Ralph gave in 2005:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2005/05/20050516/Other-News/In-Profile-Bills-Owner-Ralph-Wilson.aspx?hl=SFX&sc=0

Wilson asked his lawyer if his estate could require a buyer to keep the team in Buffalo but was informed that would be illegal. So he is left hoping that a future acquirer will be as committed as he to the region.

Article doesn't specify WHY that would be illegal, and maybe he got different legal advice or changed his mind later. People in their 80's or 90's change their minds about stuff all the time, right?

I have to say I disagree. It was clear a couple years back, this belongs to the family not the trust. The trust is inplace to help the team keep going until a new owner is found. This is 100% Mary Wilsons team now

I felt that the minute Russ Brandon took over. I think he and the Sr. Staff have known the plan all along and who the new buyer was. I also believe they were on board with Brandon, Whaley etal. Staying the course and being the front office/ Staff for the new owners as well.

I just want Jeffery Litman's ass kicked to the curb. Again, I pray new owner will spend what he needs to and his #1 Goal is winning period

The way this team has had so many lost seasons for so many years I'm hoping that the entire front office gets the boot. Brandon became director of non football operations when Marv Levy was hired, and more then likely took over the football operations side when Marv retired.

I'd rather the new owners rid themselves of this losing culture, and start anew with "football" people in the top job. Rather then a marketing guy with a baseball background..which is probably a big reason why the team has been at the bottom of the division for so many years.

Yea, to me winning before profits. So we fans need a billionaire owner that wants to win as badly as we all want to win.

I have to say I disagree. It was clear a couple years back, this belongs to the family not the trust. The trust is inplace to help the team keep going until a new owner is found. This is 100% Mary Wilsons team now

Having a bit of experience in this area of law and having dealt with a couple of cross jurisdictional cases where US trust law was relevant I can say pretty confidently it will depend on the terms on which the trust was established and the contractual obligations thereby placed upon it. I agree with your assertion that the team belongs to the Wilson family and not the trust, however, the trust are in operational control until such time as the team is sold and therefore are the de facto sellers. For that reason I think it's very likely that the trust's obligations in respect of the sale are obligations to the Wilson family and not to WNY. I find it almost impossible to believe that there is anything that gives WNY interests exclusive rights to bid. I think much more likely the trust is obligated to act in the best interests of the Wilson family 1st and Buffalo 2nd. Therefore a WNY bidder will not get favoured treatment if their bid is less than what Mary Wilson would get on the open market selling the team to someone who might well have designs on moving the team. It's likely that what is best for Buffalo and / or WNY is only a secondary factor where two rival bids both satisfy the obligations to Mary Wilson and the Wilson family.

Edited by GunnerBill

FWIW, from an article based on an interview Ralph gave in 2005:

http://www.sportsbus...spx?hl=SFX&sc=0

Article doesn't specify WHY that would be illegal, and maybe he got different legal advice or changed his mind later. People in their 80's or 90's change their minds about stuff all the time, right?

Interesting. When he sold the Sabres, a condition of the sale was that they couldn't be moved out of Buffalo. Wonder why the NFL is different.

GO BILLS!!!

The way this team has had so many lost seasons for so many years I'm hoping that the entire front office gets the boot. Brandon became director of non football operations when Marv Levy was hired, and more then likely took over the football operations side when Marv retired.

I'd rather the new owners rid themselves of this losing culture, and start anew with "football" people in the top job. Rather then a marketing guy with a baseball background..which is probably a big reason why the team has been at the bottom of the division for so many years.

Yea, to me winning before profits. So we fans need a billionaire owner that wants to win as badly as we all want to win.

Sure. Because, you know, starting over is something that needs to be done again and again. Why not re-rebuild once more amirite?

Football people are in the football jobs. Whaley is the top football man. Brandon is the team President, which is not always and not necessarily a football person.

I understand that 14+ years of no playoffs sucks. But the people in charge at the moment are not responsible for 14 years without playoffs.

Are there reports of Mary Wilson being stupid?

I agree she'll most likely "pick" the party to whom she feels most comfortable with, but she's not leaving 400mil on the table. Either way, this is good news all around.

Whoever she picks still needs to be approved by the league. So the highest bidder might work for her, but not the league, in which case she has to sell to someone who will fulfill both needs.

Having a bit of experience in this area of law and having dealt with a couple of cross jurisdictional cases where US trust law was relevant I can say pretty confidently it will depend on the terms on which the trust was established and the contractual obligations thereby placed upon it. I agree with your assertion that the team belongs to the Wilson family and not the trust, however, the trust are in operational control until such time as the team is sold and therefore are the de facto sellers. For that reason I think it's very likely that the trust's obligations in respect of the sale are obligations to the Wilson family and not to WNY. I find it almost impossible to believe that there is anything that gives WNY interests exclusive rights to bid. I think much more likely the trust is obligated to act in the best interests of the Wilson family 1st and Buffalo 2nd. Therefore a WNY bidder will not get favoured treatment if their bid is less than what Mary Wilson would get on the open market selling the team to someone who might well have designs on moving the team. It's likely that what is best for Buffalo and / or WNY is only a secondary factor where two rival bids both satisfy the obligations to Mary Wilson and the Wilson family.

That all may be true. But said owner would still have to be approved by the league. And the league is under no obligation to approve of the ownership group the trust might sell to due to concern for their own business interests. So then what? The trust/family sells to the highest bidder who can gain approval from the league. I don't see any alternative to the family and the league working hand in hand on this. If the league wants the Bills in WNY, the Bills will be in WNY. Trust or no trust.

I also wonder why there seems to be a sentiment that a WNY-centered bidder wouldn't be able to outbid other potential ownership groups wherever they may come from.

Edited by purple haze

Appreciate the insight. Is it possible Mary Wilson has any discretion at all with regard to the sale?

GO BILLS!!!

Are you close to Pegula or his family to say definitively that he has no interest? It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Jason LaCanfora mentioned last month at the owners meetings that Pegula's name was a topic amongst attendees. Not that that means Pegula will buy the team, but his name wasn't mentioned for no reason. I would highly doubt he hasn't considered it. It would be good business. The NFL is more profitable than the NHL. Add a new stadium into what will probably include a broader real estate development plan for whatever area it is placed in. Why is that important? Pegula is building Harbor Center so real estate development looks to be something he's interested in. Real estate can = money. Ask Milstein. Don't be so quick to discount Pegula. Although he wouldn't be my first guess.

I think it winds up being someone nobody has a heard a thing about in the media, but has the money, ties to WNY in some type of fashion and a desire to keep the team where it always has been.

It's common sense. Put yourself in his shoes. He strikes it rich and decides to buy his favorite hockey team from when he was growing up as well as invest in his college hockey team. Dream come true right? We all would love to be able to do that. He has vowed to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo and is focused on that. Then he committed to building a state of the art training facility and hotel which is now under construction. And meanwhile, while all of this is going on, the team tanks and they decide to rebuild from scratch. Not a very good start and he sure has his work cut out for him to turn things around but he is determined because that's his team.

Then meanwhile another sports team in town is up for sale which he has no link to whatsoever (Steelers fan growing up but not much of a football fan at all). Think about it, he's way too busy to even care. Truth be told if that team leaves then his team is the only game in town so it's of no benefit for him to be involved. You can't blame him. I think he will do what it takes to make the Sabres relevant again but he can care less about the Bills

It's common sense. Put yourself in his shoes. He strikes it rich and decides to buy his favorite hockey team from when he was growing up as well as invest in his college hockey team. Dream come true right? We all would love to be able to do that. He has vowed to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo and is focused on that. Then he committed to building a state of the art training facility and hotel which is now under construction. And meanwhile, while all of this is going on, the team tanks and they decide to rebuild from scratch. Not a very good start and he sure has his work cut out for him to turn things around but he is determined because that's his team.

Then meanwhile another sports team in town is up for sale which he has no link to whatsoever (Steelers fan growing up but not much of a football fan at all). Think about it, he's way too busy to even care. Truth be told if that team leaves then his team is the only game in town so it's of no benefit for him to be involved. You can't blame him. I think he will do what it takes to make the Sabres relevant again but he can care less about the Bills

Terry may be a bigger fan than you know. Plus, his wife has been a Bills fan all her life. And then there's LaConfora's reports of Pegula's name being tossed around at the league meetings in March. Hmm. Granted, it's all speculation, but still.

http://www.buffaloru...g-buffalo-bills

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Interesting. When he sold the Sabres, a condition of the sale was that they couldn't be moved out of Buffalo. Wonder why the NFL is different.

GO BILLS!!!

"Illegal" might be the wrong term. Might be more "not allowed by NFL rules?"

GO BILLS!!!

Only thing my brother Darryl can think of, and this is just the wild-ass guess of a moron, is that because the article says Ralph was 86 at the time of the interview, maybe the trust was already established when Ralph sought the legal advice. Darryl says he ain't clear about all the ins and outs of when trusts are revocable (i.e., they can be changed), and when they are irrevocable (if I gotta put an i.e. explanation here, you may have gone to remediation school with Darryl).

Ralph unceremoniously gave to a lot of charities during his lifetime - - it certainly seems plausible that he may have made at least one charity a beneficiary of some portion of the value of the assets in the trust. If that's what happened, Darryl thinks maybe the trustees, reportedly including Mary Wilson and Jeffrey Littman, have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize the sales price for the benefit of all of the beneficiaries - - not just the ones who happen to be Ralph's relatives.

Another poster (BringBackFergy?) suggested that if all of the beneficiaries agreed in advance to honor Ralph's legacy by accepting a non-maximum bid from a Buffalo ownership group, it wouldn't matter if the terms of the trust said that the sale should be made to the highest bidder (or to the highest bidder who could obtain approval from 75% of the other NFL owners). Assuming that's true, Darryl thinks that doesn't address the possibility that medical research institutions or other charities are included among the beneficiaries of the trust.

Even if Mary Wilson wanted to favor a local ownership group despite receiving a higher bid from somebody else, would you expect the CEO of a medical research institution (especially if it happened to be an out-of-state medical research institution) to agree to a sale that generated less $$ for medical research? How many sick people should that CEO throw on the dust bin so that the Bills can stay in Buffalo?

Darryl don't watch much hockey, but as far as he knows, the hockey team sale didn't involve trustees, so it twern't an amalgamous situation.

This post certainly raises more questions than it answers, but hey, it's just reporting the musings of a moron who ain't all that knowledgeable about what's happenin' beyond the borders of the holler. Darryl's been known to be wrong a time or two.

Roll Tide!

And Go Bills!!

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Terry may be a bigger fan than you know. Plus, his wife has been a Bills fan all her life. And then there's LaConfora's reports of Pegula's name being tossed around at the league meetings in March. Hmm. Granted, it's all speculation, but still.

http://www.buffaloru...g-buffalo-bills

GO BILLS!!!

Pegula is rocking the foot of Main St. A new stadium by the FNC would just add to the synergy

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Pegula is rocking the foot of Main St. A new stadium by the FNC would just add to the synergy

I agree 100%. His commitment to the revitalization of the city cannot be overstated. The man is putting crane's in the air with his own nickle.

I'd really like to know who was in the group that toured various potential stadium sights.

GO BILLS!!!

Whoever she picks still needs to be approved by the league. So the highest bidder might work for her, but not the league, in which case she has to sell to someone who will fulfill both needs.

That all may be true. But said owner would still have to be approved by the league. And the league is under no obligation to approve of the ownership group the trust might sell to due to concern for their own business interests. So then what? The trust/family sells to the highest bidder who can gain approval from the league. I don't see any alternative to the family and the league working hand in hand on this. If the league wants the Bills in WNY, the Bills will be in WNY. Trust or no trust.

I also wonder why there seems to be a sentiment that a WNY-centered bidder wouldn't be able to outbid other potential ownership groups wherever they may come from.

I agree. I'm on record as saying I'm pretty much certain the Bills stay in Buffalo. I think the factors in play all make that by far the most likely scenario. I was simply sharing my knowledge on some of the legal technicalities in the way that such trusts are generally set up and operate.

I agree 100%. His commitment to the revitalization of the city cannot be overstated. The man is putting crane's in the air with his own nickle.

I'd really like to know who was in the group that toured various potential stadium sights.

GO BILLS!!!

You'r unquestionably overstating it. He's put "cranes in the sky' on one project, not many, on one site in a city that's more than 40 square miles. He's hardly "committed to the revitalization of the city." I'd be shocked if he could identify more than a handful of streets on a map. So let's not anoint him the savior of a once proud city whose legacy is massive vacancy, abandonment, segregation, poverty, dysfunctional schools, and pathetic leadership. About the only thing I'll applaud him for is using his own money without his hand out like the d-bag hypocrite who touts a conservative agenda until the money is doled out for his projects, then suddenly the govt is welcome in the private market place if he benefits. However, he still bought the parcel from the city for pennies on the dollar, so there's that reality.

I'd certainly, however, rather have Pegula than these other guys. He seems to be old school, enjoys his team for the love of the game, not the greed and profiteering a Golisano, Milstein, Trump, or Bon Douchey would command.

" I'd be shocked if he could identify more than a handful of streets on a map.

Since TP lived in Orchard Park for a number of years in the 80's and 90s and had seasons tix to the Sabres for 18 years, I suspect he can drive around WNY pretty well

Sure. Because, you know, starting over is something that needs to be done again and again. Why not re-rebuild once more amirite?

Football people are in the football jobs. Whaley is the top football man. Brandon is the team President, which is not always and not necessarily a football person.

I understand that 14+ years of no playoffs sucks. But the people in charge at the moment are not responsible for 14 years without playoffs.

I worked in pro sports for 8 years and have never seen a successful organization run by anyone other than business people. A lot have front men that may have played there and make decisions on the ops side but no one has those people making business decisions (pricing, lease deals, sponsorship deals, etc..). The people that are put in charge of the business are business people. My old boss is currently the president if the NJ Devils and he originally came from Ventura Foods.

The people selecting talent is different but make no mistake they do not run the team. The GM usually reports to the president (often the head coach too).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is my guess as well.

I'd like to think the same but does he have a billion in cash plus another 500k for a new stadium available? Net worth is one thing but cash flow is a totally different thing and 'The Shield" doesn't like owners with a big debt service.

All of what you say is possible. HOWEVER, Pegula is a businessman before anything else. The other team in town is one that is profitable and in a league where the profits keep rising. And I believe a new stadium would also lead to other real estate development opportunities that might interest him. That means potentially more money for him.

He's not scouting or drafting or coaching players. He hires a team to do that. IF he were to own the Bills he would do the same thing. He wouldn't be doing that himself. What he would do is make money and increase his business portfolio and national profile which could lead to more money streams. The Bills being in Buffalo hasn't decreased the Sabres attendance or general support. So there is no need for him to wish them away.

I agree. I'm on record as saying I'm pretty much certain the Bills stay in Buffalo. I think the factors in play all make that by far the most likely scenario. I was simply sharing my knowledge on some of the legal technicalities in the way that such trusts are generally set up and operate.

Appreciate you sharing. It was good knowledge to get.

Edited by purple haze

You'r unquestionably overstating it. He's put "cranes in the sky' on one project, not many, on one site in a city that's more than 40 square miles. He's hardly "committed to the revitalization of the city." I'd be shocked if he could identify more than a handful of streets on a map. So let's not anoint him the savior of a once proud city whose legacy is massive vacancy, abandonment, segregation, poverty, dysfunctional schools, and pathetic leadership....

One project which is finally reshaping the waterfront and will make Buffalo a destination city for youth hockey...Do you understand the scope of what exactly he is doing?

Rome wasn't built in a day, but what he is doing is a MASSIVE start to drive commerce to the city.

Yeah the idea that it would take years until the Bills are sold idea was silly.

When was the last time an NFL franchise became available for purchase?

The Browns?

There are Billionaires around the Planet that want to own an NFL franchise.

It's like if Mario Williams killed Marsha Brady during a game. Everyone would say "The poor, grieving widow Gisselle. It will take her years to get over the loss, in time she may find a new man."

In reality on Day 1 there would be a line of swantz around the building trying to tap that.

There is a line of swantz around OBD trying to tap that, guaranteed.

I'd like to think the same but does he have a billion in cash plus another 500k for a new stadium available? Net worth is one thing but cash flow is a totally different thing and 'The Shield" doesn't like owners with a big debt service.

Agree about the league wanting a guys w/o a ton of debt, but by no means does TP need a liquid 1 billion to buy the team.

Agree about the league wanting a guys w/o a ton of debt, but by no means does TP need a liquid 1 billion to buy the team.

Pegula is as liquid as anyone. He sold his company for $4.7B. He could buy the Bills and stadium in cash if he wanted to. That is a large part of his appeal. In addition to his large net worth it is extremely liquid.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Brandon has had a major role within the Org for eight years, and after Marv retired the team having no GM it is easy for me to speculate on who else was guiding the team along with the owner. My sole reasoning for this is because the same stupidity that has enveloped this team for a lot of that time is still prevalent.

I could care less if Brandon is retained as CEO, as long as the team hires a true "football" man as president for the football side of the operations. Like Green Bay has ex NFL safety Mark Murphy as president / CEO the last seven years, and they won a SB under him. Like Baltimore has ex NFL TE Ozzie Newsome as VP / GM, and has won several SB's under him. Like the Colts had Bill Polian as GM / president, and won a SB with him.

I would like to see a knowledgeable football guy in charge of the football side of the team rather then a marketing / baseball guy is all.