Scott chandler re signs with Bills

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like bringing him back. He's not the seam stretcher they need but he is a very productive receiver. Even if they draft a TE early I don't think you can count on much from a rookie TE. Moeaki is made of glass. Gragg hopefully emerges but he was fragile in college as well. Chandler had an ACL two years ago but he isn't fragile like those two.

Some posters act like it's easy to just go out and grab an elite TE in free agency...it isn't. There are 32 teams in the league and only a small handful of elite TEs (maybe 5-6 of them)

and teams tend to hold on to those guys.

Now, by no means with this post am I saying Scott is up there with the elite guys, but someone said (rather than compare him to past Bills TEs) compare him to his peers. OK

In 2 of the last 3 years Chandler was top 10 in TDs (7th and 8th). He had a down year last year, but think of who was throwing the ball to him.

Last year he was 13th in receptions and 12th in yards (despite the low TD total). The year before (2012) he was 14th in yards.

Percentage of catches to targets for the last 3 years compared to some elite guys:

Chandler caught 65% of the balls thrown to him in 2013, 58% in 2012, and 82% in 2011.

Graham caught 58% of the balls thrown to him in 2013, 62% in 2012, and 66% in 2011.

Gronk caught 59% in 2013, 69% in 2012, and 72% in 2011

And yes, his fumble in the Atlanta game was huge, but he averages 1.3 fumbles per season.

So, let's put to rest the "he can't hang on to the ball myth."

And let's not forget, for as good as those elite TEs actually are, some of them also have a certain advantage:

Gronk, Hernandez (Brady)

Graham (Brees)

D. Clark, J. Thomas (Manning)

A. Gates (Rivers)

Witten (Romo)

Chandler (Fitz, Manuel, Thad, Tuel)

Tony G. is probably the only elite guy that has done it without stellar QB play (although Flynn over the last 2 years isn't too shabby)

And then there is opportunity. While Chandler was targeted 81 times last year, Graham was targeted 142 times,

Gonzales 120 times, Witten 111 times, J. Cameron 118 times, A. Gates 113 times. If Scott had 30 to 60 more targets,

his numbers would be a lot better.

Again, by no means am I saying he is or ever will be elite, like some of those guys, but over the last 3 years he has

probably hovered around the 12th to 15th best TE in the league (by stats). And what if he had Brady or Manning throwing to him instead?

He'd probably be higher than that. Everyone would love an elite TE, but how many of those 10 or so guys significantly better than Chandler were actually

available to upgrade with for next season? If we didn't resign Chandler, our TE position would definitely have been worse next year.

Every position on the team can't have an elite pro-bowler, no team can afford that, so don't knock those solid guys in the

top half or third of their position, we need them.

Anyhow...very happy to see most people are positive on this resigning. Glad to have you back Scott!

Some posters act like it's easy to just go out and grab an elite TE in free agency...it isn't. There are 32 teams in the league and only a small handful of elite TEs (maybe 5-6 of them)

and teams tend to hold on to those guys.

Now, by no means with this post am I saying Scott is up there with the elite guys, but someone said (rather than compare him to past Bills TEs) compare him to his peers. OK

In 2 of the last 3 years Chandler was top 10 in TDs (7th and 8th). He had a down year last year, but think of who was throwing the ball to him.

Last year he was 13th in receptions and 12th in yards (despite the low TD total). The year before (2012) he was 14th in yards.

Percentage of catches to targets for the last 3 years compared to some elite guys:

Chandler caught 65% of the balls thrown to him in 2013, 58% in 2012, and 82% in 2011.

Graham caught 58% of the balls thrown to him in 2013, 62% in 2012, and 66% in 2011.

Gronk caught 59% in 2013, 69% in 2012, and 72% in 2011

And yes, his fumble in the Atlanta game was huge, but he averages 1.3 fumbles per season.

So, let's put to rest the "he can't hang on to the ball myth."

And let's not forget, for as good as those elite TEs actually are, some of them also have a certain advantage:

Gronk, Hernandez (Brady)

Graham (Brees)

D. Clark, J. Thomas (Manning)

A. Gates (Rivers)

Witten (Romo)

Chandler (Fitz, Manuel, Thad, Tuel)

Tony G. is probably the only elite guy that has done it without stellar QB play (although Flynn over the last 2 years isn't too shabby)

And then there is opportunity. While Chandler was targeted 81 times last year, Graham was targeted 142 times,

Gonzales 120 times, Witten 111 times, J. Cameron 118 times, A. Gates 113 times. If Scott had 30 to 60 more targets,

his numbers would be a lot better.

Again, by no means am I saying he is or ever will be elite, like some of those guys, but over the last 3 years he has

probably hovered around the 12th to 15th best TE in the league (by stats). And what if he had Brady or Manning throwing to him instead?

He'd probably be higher than that. Everyone would love an elite TE, but how many of those 10 or so guys significantly better than Chandler were actually

available to upgrade with for next season? If we didn't resign Chandler, our TE position would definitely have been worse next year.

Every position on the team can't have an elite pro-bowler, no team can afford that, so don't knock those solid guys in the

Anyhow...very happy to see most people are positive on this resigning. Glad to have you back Scott!

I think that he has had a lot of opportunities as well. Here is my list of TE that I would rather have (in no particular order): J. Graham, G. Graham, Gronk, Gates, Gresham, Gonzalez (maybe we need a TE that's last name starts with a "G"), Pitta, Witten, Daniels, Rudolph, Eiffert, Cameron, Thomas, Charles Clay, Greg Olsen, Reed, Miller, Ertz, Bennett, Finley, Fleener, Cook, and Davis. That's 23 by my count (including Gonzalez but not the rookies) that I would trade Chandler straight up for. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The draft is never really great at TE anyway. It's scary how few impact TEs are actually in the NFL.

The rational is that players with a TE physical requirement are off to NBA where they get guaranteed contracts and less chance for life threatening injury.

And that is the most important point. We're a better team with Chandler and a draft pick, then say... Gragg and a draft pick next year. It's simple, if you want to build you have to keep your better players and add to them. We all get pissed, and rightfully so, when good players like Byrd walk away. But, this isn't one of those situations. The best TE on our roster, by far, was just extended. That's a good thing.

Maybe Gragg develops, maybe they draft some stud. I don't know. But, the first step to solidifying the TE position is re-signing the best one on your team. So I say good move. Now, hopefully they follow it up with another good move.

per rotoworld:

Chandler drew no known interest elsewhere. Turning 29 over the summer, Chandler is coming off a "career-year" that saw him post 653 yards and two touchdowns. With an erratic E.J. Manuel at the helm and Chandler possessing next to no movement skills, he'll be lucky to finish 2014 as a TE2. Mar 13 - 5:37 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4257/scott-chandler

And that is the most important point. We're a better team with Chandler and a draft pick, then say... Gragg and a draft pick next year. It's simple, if you want to build you have to keep your better players and add to them.

I don't disagree but I would say that you could have inserted: Finley, Garrett Graham or Owen Daniels and upgraded. Just because Chandler is/was your best TE doesn't mean he's good. TE is certainly a lesser need now than it was but I'd have rather taken a shot on someone like Ed Dickson that i think has more natural ability.

Don't get me wrong, Chandler is not Colin Brown. He is a mediocre football player. If Moeaki is healthy they are actually better at that position than they were but it is still one of the weakest position groups on the team.

I like Chandler, myself. He's a solid all around TE. As long as our WRs are doing their job, he's just fine. If our WRs continue to struggle, then I'd be more adamant about wanting a more dynamic TE.

He actually isn't. He's a sub par blocker who's weak at the POA. He's certainly not the seam splitting downfield threat that we see other teams deploy to exploit pass defenses. He has next to zero elusiveness or tackle breaking ability. He's a mediocre mid range receiving TE with okay hands.

Bottom Line: NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

per rotoworld:

Chandler drew no known interest elsewhere. Turning 29 over the summer, Chandler is coming off a "career-year" that saw him post 653 yards and two touchdowns. With an erratic E.J. Manuel at the helm and Chandler possessing next to no movement skills, he'll be lucky to finish 2014 as a TE2. Mar 13 - 5:37 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4257/scott-chandler

To be fair, it seemed like the TE market was slow overall. I thought guys like pettigrew would be snatched up. He made like 1 visit and then re-signed with the Lions.