Scott chandler re signs with Bills

So I'd put 11 TEs clearly ahead of Chandler, to the point where they'd be very significant upgrades. I'd probably rather have some of the Tier 4 guys than Chandler, but at what cost? We haven't seen the details of Chandler's new contract yet, but the old one was for peanuts. I definitely think Pitta or Bennett would be an upgrade over Chandler, but either one (esp. Pitta) might be making double what Chandler is making. I don't think either one is $2-3 million/year better than Chandler. Pettigrew is fairly close, but based on blocking alone, he might be an upgrade over Chandler even though he's a Robert Royal-esque receiver. I'd definitely rather have Chandler at (guessing here) 2 years, $6mil than Pettigrew at 4 years, $16mil. Pettigrew is not so much better than Chandler that he's worth 50% more per year.

yea i normally end up right about 20 when i do the list. somewhere around mid teens is where i get into the break you had at 11, and then a couple that id put ahead but once your in that range whats the difference between 18 and 19 type situations -- i didnt take the time to do it today, but have a few times this last year in similar discussions.

i think hes a good value, would love to see him our #2 TE and have the position turn into a strength instead of a weakness, but i dont think its a huge gaping hole either.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He took a pay cut because only Detroit showed any interest...

The guy is a solid target at TE but has various flaws, as other NFL teams like their TE's to actually block well.

The fact he is back with the Bills might mean that they won't target Ebron in the draft.

He took a pay cut because only Detroit showed any interest...

The guy is a solid target at TE but has various flaws, as other NFL teams like their TE's to actually block well.

The fact he is back with the Bills might mean that they won't target Ebron in the draft.

No, it doesn't. It means they got a proven producer on the cheap and gives them flexibility. Not sure they wanted to go into the draft with Lee Smith, Chris Gragg and Ouchie Moeaki.

Edit: And Magic Mike Caussin! Always forget about him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Whats wrong with (hoping to) having a great TE found in FA and a good TE already on the team?

seriously guys

http://sportsillustr...0386/index.html

from the (AP) - Scott Chandler is returning to Buffalo, where he spent the past three seasons establishing himself as the Bills' top pass-catching tight end.

Chandler is coming off a year in which he set career highs with 53 catches and 655 yards.

12th in the NFL in yards (which to some sucks) - w/ lets say 20 teams worse off.

http://sports.yahoo....old_category=TE

----------

Hoping to find a great TE in the draft on day 1 is IMO a reach. The draft is a crapshoot, sometimes you strike it rich

He was 8th in the league in TDs by a TE in 2012. 10th in 2011.

People cite 2013's results of only 2 TDs as the norm for him, but I think he more lines up with the 2011/2012 stats.

Personally I think he's a top half talent at TE. Is he great? Nope. Certainly a solid starting TE, though.

What hurt him was the drops in key situations that could have potentially led to wins last season. I am sure every other team out there looked at that as well. My opinion of him is he is good but not so much in clutch situations.

What hurt him was the drops in key situations that could have potentially led to wins last season. I am sure every other team out there looked at that as well. My opinion of him is he is good but not so much in clutch situations.

caught a pretty nice TD in a clutch situation to tie up the 1st Jets game. Unfortunately, our defense couldn't contain old Geno.

caught a pretty nice TD in a clutch situation to tie up the 1st Jets game. Unfortunately, our defense couldn't contain old Geno.

It's baffling to me how Bills fans are satisfied with such a lackluster talent at TE. In order for the Bills to get back to the top of the mountain in the AFCE, they have to beat the Patriots. The team that just signed Revis for two years. What's that got to do with Scott Chandler? It means that the Bills would do themselves very well to pick an elite TE prospect like Eric Ebron who Revis would never be matched up against and who would give Manuel an easy target to throw to.

It's baffling to me how Bills fans are satisfied with such a lackluster talent at TE. In order for the Bills to get back to the top of the mountain in the AFCE, they have to beat the Patriots. The team that just signed Revis for two years. What's that got to do with Scott Chandler? It means that the Bills would do themselves very well to pick an elite TE prospect like Eric Ebron who Revis would never be matched up against and who would give Manuel an easy target to throw to.

If you are referring to me, which I think you are since you quoted me, I didn't say I was satisfied with him. I was responding to a poster who said he was not good in clutch situations. While I remember some instances where this is true, just pointing out it wasn't a universal truth. I'm all for drafting an elite TE. Chandler is 28 and cheap. He does not preclude the Bills from doing whatever the heck they want going fwd with the TE position. He just helps them not have to depend on a rookie plus the other guys they have. Edited by YoloinOhio

The Bills need to find a TE to out play Chandler and make him expendable. Until then, it's a nice deal for the Bills no matter what. No matter who they draft at TE or who they might have already on the roster, they will still have to prove themselves to take playing time away from Chandler. It would be great to have a duel threat to put on the field with him also. Power running and 2 TE sets put a smile on my face. :beer:

If you are referring to me, which I think you are since you quoted me, I didn't say I was satisfied with him. I was responding to a poster who said he was not good in clutch situations. While I remember some instances where this is true, just pointing out it wasn't a universal truth. I'm all for drafting an elite TE. Chandler is 28 and cheap. He does not preclude the Bills from doing whatever the heck they want going fwd with the TE position. He just helps them not have to depend on a rookie plus the other guys they have.

Sorry, but it sounded like you were good with Chandler remaining as our starting TE.

IMO, the Bills are no longer in rebuilding mode, they must have a winning record in 2014 and also be a serious contender within their division this year. They have the defense and they only lack a couple of pieces on offense so that EJ Manuel and Doug Marrone have no excuses for not having a winning record.