Scott chandler re signs with Bills

I'm pleased. One less spot to worry about.

Chandler had a couple rough spots this season with a couple of bad drops and being tragically misused in the beginning of the season. (I thought I was going to break my TV whenever we sent him out into the flat for a 0-1 yard pickup)

He can't juke my trash can, but he has good hands and gets open in the middle of the field. Seriously, he's not a run-after-catch kind of guy, why flair him out into the flat for a 1 yard gain???? Thankfully they stopped throwing to him on that route.

But he's a competent Tight-End and better than what we've had in YEARS.

I don't like it when my "good hands" TE has "bad drops".

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we can never draft a TE to compete for number 1 TE? Re-signing the guy who's greatness, by your own description, is best measured not against his contemporaries in the league, but comapred to the 9 horrible TEs this team had before him?

I think other teams are drafting TEs earlier than the 6th round, successfully...

But not us. Have you forgotten the horror show of our TE drafting in the last 15 years?

Let me remind us all:

2013 -7- Chris Gragg

2009 -4- Shawn Nelson

2008 -4- Derek Fine

2007 -7- Derek Schouman

2005 -3- Kevin Everett (medical miracle, but terrible NFL tight end)

2004 -4- Tim Euhus

It doesn't get much better for the 10 years before that with 8 tight ends drafted

"High"lights:

1996 -7- Jay Riemersma

1994 -2- Lonnie "fricken" Johnson

14 tight ends drafted in 20 years with only Jay R worth a hoot. Since we got Chandler we've only had to throw 1 7th round pick away in 4 years.

I'm quite happy having Mr. Chandler thank you very much.

But not us. Have you forgotten the horror show of our TE drafting in the last 15 years?

Let me remind us all:

2013 -7- Chris Gragg

2009 -4- Shawn Nelson

2008 -4- Derek Fine

2007 -7- Derek Schouman

2004 -4- Tim Euhus

It doesn't get much better for the 10 years before that with 8 tight ends drafted

"High"lights:

1996 -7- Jay Riemersma

14 tight ends drafted in 20 years with only Jay R worth a hoot. Since we got Chandler we've only had to throw 1 7th round pick away in 4 years.

I'm quite happy having Mr. Chandler thank you very much.

So since the Bills are bad at drafting TEs (even though they don't emphasize it) we should be happy to have a mediocre player that makes big mistakes?

All you Eric Ebron fans can close the door on that idea. Looks like either WR or OT in the first round.

I wouldn't say that at all. But now we don't HAVE to reach to fill the hole. We can take bpa, and that could be tightend at our first few picks still.

So since the Bills are bad at drafting TEs (even though they don't emphasize it) we should be happy to have a mediocre player that makes big mistakes?

And I'm not sure how a franchise can be bad at it for 20 years. An evaluator might be but unless we have a specialized tight end scout with the last name Wilson, or there's something about the water in buffalo.... It's a bit puzzling that the bills are bad at it and not Donahue, levy, butler etc....

All you Eric Ebron fans can close the door on that idea. Looks like either WR or OT in the first round.

Maybe Hackett wants to run some 2 TE sets ala Gronkowski/Hernandez (albeit with less talent and hopefully less murdering)?

Let me remind us all:

2013 -7- Chris Gragg

2009 -4- Shawn Nelson

2008 -4- Derek Fine

2007 -7- Derek Schouman

2004 -4- Tim Euhus

"High"lights:

1996 -7- Jay Riemersma

Psshhh, youngsters. I'm still PO'ed about Tony Hunter.

And I'm not sure how a franchise can be bad at it for 20 years. An evaluator might be but unless we have a specialized tight end scout with the last name Wilson, or there's something about the water in buffalo.... It's a bit puzzling that the bills are bad at it and not Donahue, levy, butler etc....

Its more of a lack of emphasis from an organizational standpoint. It could have to do with Overdorf's philosophy? If we are still using that % of the cap number that you and I have been discussing TE has been a low % for sure. That can always change but they have been content to get low level FA or mid-late round guys at that position.

Its more of a lack of emphasis from an organizational standpoint. It could have to do with Overdorf's philosophy? If we are still using that % of the cap number that you and I have been discussing TE has been a low % for sure. That can always change but they have been content to get low level FA or mid-late round guys at that position.

If overdorf gets down to setting firm positional caps and not our gms, that would roughly be on par with a TE scout with the name Wilson. And be incredibly frustrating.

I'd argue it'd still be "overdorf hates tight ends" not "bills hate tight ends" but at this point it's hard to seperate "overdorf/littman" from "bills"

If overdorf gets down to setting firm positional caps and not our gms, that would roughly be on par with a TE scout with the name Wilson. And be incredibly frustrating.

I'd argue it'd still be "overdorf hates tight ends" not "bills hate tight ends" but at this point it's hard to seperate "overdorf/littman" from "bills"

Just looking for logical explanations as to why the position has always been bad. We then settle on mediocrity (Chandler, Riemersma, even Metzelaars) because they are better than Derek Fine and Tim Euhus. It's just kind of odd.

I don't think that they should go that route Tip Man. I respect the opinions of my friend "Doc." He is big time against taking one of the 3 SEC qbs who are coming out. Count me as all in for either McCarron, Murray or Mettenberger.

Jmo.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that we should be getting a back-up QB in free agency, although I'm not against drafting one either.

Disagree with you. Not a ways from the playoffs at all. Bills have a lot of talent. This FA period seems to be about depth and special teams, issues last year. Truth is Bills fate is directly tied to EJ taking a big step forward.

Not to be negative but unless we win our division than there's no guarantee that we make the play-offs regardless of how much we improve. As of today can we win the division? I don't think so, we're still a ways from that. Keep in mind, I'm a hardcore Bills' fan for the last 40+ years. I'm just trying to keep it real, that's all.

see above, we had no backup plan or no way to address TE that was viable. TE in the draft is a crapshoot.

to go on a little more. We would have overpaid for a position we seemed amply solid at to continue with out Byrd, though I wanted him tagged and in a Bills jersey. Also, for the money that I would guess he signed for - hard to imagine it was too expensive.

I have sat back and read alot of similar comments; we should have tagged Byrd, the Bills should have upped their offer, blah, blah, blah ......

Once & for all - BYRD WAS NOT GOING TO SIGN HERE !!!!!!! let me spell this out further - he is now on the record saying it was tough playing for a losing team. He is now with the Saints, get it? And if we tagged him, he would he been out the first 7 games with a broken fingernail.

Guys, gals, kids .....players leave for free agency across the NFL after their rookie deal expires. It's a simple fact of life.

Sure, I can help you.

134, 1495. And 34, 340.

Oh, not the numbers you expected? Not anything you recognized? That's just a few stats. 134 catches for Chandler, 1,495 yards in 3 seasons as a Bill. In that same time we have 34 catches, 340 yards by 6 or 7 other TE's, if you count Dickerson.

So, yeah, he kind of matters when he is the only one that matters, eh?

And just to help you some more...Chandler played for us in 2010, but only 8 yards on one catch. 2010 and 2 seasons prior (3 total seasons), we had 9 TE's make 106 catches and 1,043 yards.

In 3 seasons Scott Chandler outperformed every other TE we had by a mile. In the three seasons before Chandler came to Buffalo our TE's accounted for over 400 yards less production, and 20+ catches less.

We had no viable options on this team for TE and we cannot and should not go in to the draft without shoring up a position as easy to address as TE, and even more so when we have Chandler as an option.

I'll add that it seemed Chandler and EJ had decent chemistry during games. There were some big plays and also some balls EJ threw right in the numbers that Chandler dropped that could have gone for big gains or 1st downs, You can say that is a positive for EJ or a negative for Chandler, but I look at it as last season is over and maybe those plays are made next year with more reps between the two. I agree that signing him is the right thing to do, I don't think Pettigrew or Dickson are much better. it is a very inexpensive contract, Hackett and Marrone use a traditional TE, and it certainly does not mean they won't draft one. But you don't want to go into the draft desperate for a TE and take one higher than needed. I would like one in the 2nd too but what if some guy drops in your lap that is the BPA and not a TE.... would be better to be able to take that guy than feel like you absolutely have to draft a TE high. We also don't know what we have yet with Moeaki - but he practiced at the end of last year so they likely have some idea of what he can do. For this offense, the signing makes sense. Will be happier if they take a guy like Crockett Gilmore as well in the 4th or so. Edited by YoloinOhio