Scott chandler re signs with Bills

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He actually isn't. He's a sub par blocker who's weak at the POA. He's certainly not the seam splitting downfield threat that we see other team deploy to exploit pass defenses. He has next to zero elusiveness or tackle breaking ability. He's a mediocre mid range receiving TE with okay hands.

Bottom Line: NOT GOOD ENOUGH

but for our purposes, as setting a floor at the position... not worst case scenario. agree an upgrade is in order though.

really, in my head i keep coming back to our offense a few years ago where id probably slot stevie somewhere in the 16-24 ranking, fitz towards the tail end of the same, and chandler somewhere in there..... still have stevie as the #1, still have chandler as the #1 (both those guys written in pencil at this point) and EJ being a huge question mark but cant say anything better than i hope he shows higher than that.... offense hasnt gotten talent really added in awhile with the defense flip flopping - its definitely time. we did a little last year but need another year of adding pieces high.

He actually isn't. He's a sub par blocker who's weak at the POA. He's certainly not the seam splitting downfield threat that we see other teams deploy to exploit pass defenses. He has next to zero elusiveness or tackle breaking ability. He's a mediocre mid range receiving TE with okay hands.

Bottom Line: NOT GOOD ENOUGH

I think this is true for all but 2 TE's in the game. Those that can catch can't block. Those that can move can barely block or catch. Those that can block can barely catch. And then there is Lee Smith.

I think this is true for all but 2 TE's in the game. Those that can catch can't block. Those that can move can barely block or catch. Those that can block can barely catch. And then there is Lee Smith.

i think what 26 was getting at, and i dont mean to put words in his mouth but, is that hes merely competent in the passing game, and below average in blocking. if we are going to be below average in one of those dimensions youd like to atleast be very good in the other as a starter.

All you Eric Ebron fans can close the door on that idea. Looks like either WR or OT in the first round.

This signing has no bearing on the Bills picking Ebron at #9 or not. It's simply insurance for them not to have a gaping hole at TE if Ebron were perhaps taken by the Falcons at #6 or if the Bills had Jake Matthews staring at them at #9 and they simply couldn't pass on him with Ebron still on the board.

Watkins and Ebron are the only two known game changing receivers in this draft. He is still very much in play for the Bills at #9.

i think what 26 was getting at, and i dont mean to put words in his mouth but, is that hes merely competent in the passing game, and below average in blocking. if we are going to be below average in one of those dimensions youd like to atleast be very good in the other as a starter.

:thumbsup:

For all the blithering about Chandler's skills... he gets open, he has reliable hands (save Atlanta), and has been adequate as a blocker. No he's not blinding fast, no he's not a blocking stud, no he's not a juke machine. Be he does produce results that are better than about half the league's starting TEs. To me that says "solid" or "average" if you want.

I'd love to improve the position. But we could do a lot worse there, as well.

So I stand by my opinion... he's "fine" as long as we improve the WR corps, or the two second year guys take off. If the WR corps continue to struggle, then we could very much use a new shiny athletic TE (who likely wouldn't be the best blocker, but you have to take what you can get).

good for Scott.

to those that want THE best TE in the league, I say get over it.

You do realize that your team was 29th in the league in scoring TDs in the redzone last year, don't you?

They also spent a 1st round pick on a QB last year who by most accounts is going into his make or break year.

So maybe you need to get over not wanting the best TE on the Bills. Of course we're talking about Eric Ebron at #9 here.

So I stand by my opinion... he's "fine" as long as we improve the WR corps, or the two second year guys take off. If the WR corps continue to struggle, then we could very much use a new shiny athletic TE (who likely wouldn't be the best blocker, but you have to take what you can get).

i think thats the thing - hes acceptable as one of your weaker starters, but we have a lot of guys that of similar caliber starting on the offense. as long as we keep adding talent, i wont fret tooooo much over chandler specifically, but weve got to improve a couple spots and TE would qualify as an opportunity to do that

Question: If the Bills had a Scott Chandler caliber player at every position, what would their 16 game season record be?

By my list above I believe that there are 23 NFL TEs that I would rather have than him. That would mean that they would have the 9th worst record and be picking 9 in the dra--wait a minute...

Question: If the Bills had a Scott Chandler caliber player at every position, what would their 16 game season record be?

6-10

and like i said upthread, under gailey we did have chandler quality players at a lot of positions...

By my list above I believe that there are 23 NFL TEs that I would rather have than him. That would mean that they would have the 9th worst record and be picking 9 in the dra--wait a minute...

exactly - and i bet you wouldnt stray toooo far if you had to rank our #1 WR, and our qb hasnt proven better than that yet.... if we upgrade the passing game talent, and it helps EJ come into his own we will see a much bigger jump than anywhere else we could commit resources today.

Edited by NoSaint

6-10

and like i said upthread, under gailey we did have chandler quality players at a lot of positions...

exactly - and i bet you wouldnt stray toooo far if you had to rank our #1 WR, and our qb hasnt proven better than that yet.... if we upgrade the passing game talent, and it helps EJ come into his own we will see a much bigger jump than anywhere else we could commit resources today.

Exactly

You do realize that your team was 29th in the league in scoring TDs in the redzone last year, don't you?

They also spent a 1st round pick on a QB last year who by most accounts is going into his make or break year.

So maybe you need to get over not wanting the best TE on the Bills. Of course we're talking about Eric Ebron at #9 here.

do you realize what they were the year before with Fitz? In the first 4 weeks the Bills lead the NFL in red zone efficiency? guess who the TE was.

do you realize what they were one of the last 2 teams to score over 20 ppg on in the the first 4 weeks of the year?

do you realize its a team effort and that also involves coaching / play calling?

Like what Dorkington wrote. He's NOT the best, but he's FAR from the worst.

your assumption is that I don't want the best TE. You are wrong. The truth of it is ... I'm not delusional enough to expect it.

so please read my post again - get over it.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever