CB Nolan Carroll to visit bills

hes started 22 games and reportedly looking to be paid as a starting corner. hes also met/had interest from the eagles, steelers and vikings this week i believe. doesnt sound like a classic #4 as much as a guy that will get real snaps potentially...

Yeah he's going to want starter money & the starting job. Looks like he's using us as a bargaining chip. Hope he doesn't get snowed in....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Currently. I still believe Ron Brooks will develop well. Yes, he's struggled some, but also shown signs of brilliance, IMO. It took McKelvin a few years..

BTW. Bills just signed/re-signed TE Caussin

I adhere to a philosophy of 3 years for a CB and Receivers.

hes started 22 games and reportedly looking to be paid as a starting corner. hes also met/had interest from the eagles, steelers and vikings this week i believe. doesnt sound like a classic #4 as much as a guy that will get real snaps potentially...

I was surprised the Bills are looking at him, but IMO he is not going to start over Gilmore or McLuvin, and he is not going to be the slot CB with Robey playing the way he is, even if he may be a better starter than Robey if SG or LM went down. But that still means he is your #4 unless there is an injury, which any corner they bring in is going to (outside of a top dollar top name guy).

For the rest of you insomniacs (or bored early risers), here's a scouting report on this much scrutinized and highly controversial potential signee: http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/4/24/1432175/nfl-draft-2010-miami-dolphins. FYI he's the 31st ranked FA CB according to Rotoworld. BTW we signed Rotoworld's 6th ranked FA K!!! Can't wait for more blistering action tomorrow (it is already tomorrow).

Sorry, should have expected a bad link from anything related to the "phins"--here's a cut/paste:

With their fifth round pick, the Miami Dolphins have selected Maryland CB Nolan Carroll.

Carroll measured in at 5'11, 204 pounds at the Combine and was a receiver before changing to

cornerback in 2007. He is coming off of a broken leg that he suffered in Maryland's second game of

2009. He's raw but has good speed. In fact, he reportedly ran a sub 4.4 40 at his Pro Day.

[update: Carroll ran a 4.42 40 at his Pro Day despite the broken leg that ended his senior season. He

ran a 4.37 40 after his junior season, according to reports.]

And yes - he was a team captain.

Below is Carroll's scouting report from NFL.com:

Strengths: Big corner with a muscular build. Possesses smooth hips and changes direction without

losing momentum. Explodes out of his breaks and has an extra gear to close the gap in man coverage.

Gets his hands on receivers at the line and re-routes them in press coverage. Vocal leader who pumps

up his teammates.

Weaknesses: A bit late recognizing routes and gets caught looking into the backfield too often. Over-

aggressive at times and is susceptible to double moves. Does not have good hands and struggles to

make plays when the ball is in the air. Misses too many tackles in the open field and is inconsistent in

run support.

Is he a potential safety prospect for Dolphins? Probably not. According to Carroll, Dolphins told him he'll

compete at cornerback.

Edited by biggerdaddynj

Very physical CB...to be honest, CB isn't a huge need and he'd be fighting for a 3rd or 4th CB spot. Would be a good addition for depth purposes.

I disagree, we only have two good CB's on the roster and one good nickel. He has the metrics and scout report to convert to safety though. Might be the Bills are looking to do just that after the succesfull Wiliams move?

Edited by bladiebla

I also agree that corner is still a pressing need....especially a big physical fast corner.

Lets keep in mind that one of the things that really hurt us last year was having to move Williams back to corner because of CB injuries (and then Byrd was doing his PF thing)

We need to keep Aaron where he is at safety

Robey needs to play though

Perhaps this has been mentioned by someone else - given his size, is Nolan Carroll someone who could play safety as well?

I'm a big fan of putting corners with size and good ball instincts at FS. That's what Byrd and Aaron Williams did. I think Champ Bailey would be a good FS like Rod Woodson became later in his career.

i know it was mentioned in another thread, but what a bummer a major snow storm at the start of free agency is.

I think it was like 70 when Mario signed 2 Marchs ago.

i know it was mentioned in another thread, but what a bummer a major snow storm at the start of free agency is.

I don't think it's a big deal to the caliber of players they are bringing in for visits.

They can very possibly double their best offers signing in Buffalo. It's easy to do at those salary levels.

Different story with premium, proven talent.