Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a damn message board people are or SHOULD be able to say whatever the hell they want, i was just venting and expressing my opinion at the current time, isnt that what message boards are for? People get so caught up in what other people say on a forum. Like there is some sort of white collar proper forum etiquette.

Yeah!!! Tell'em!!!! We will not be stifled!

Same old Bills FO. Losers! Don't even have the grit to fight to the end to get something out of Byrd in trade, just let him walk away smirking and flipping us the Bird!

UGH. What the hell leverage did the Bills had to trade Byrd when every other team knows that he wants out, not to mention the fact that they would then have to sign him to a long-term deal?!?!?!? Did you want to get a 5th rounder for him instead of a potentially much higher compensatory pick?!?!?!? I'm going to need therapy after 15 minutes of this thread.

Same old Bills FO. Losers! Don't even have the grit to fight to the end to get something out of Byrd in trade, just let him walk away smirking and flipping us the Bird!

Byrd gave us 4 years on a 2nd round rookie contract. He was a pro bowler and an all pro. I think we got more from him then he got from us. The guy doesn't want to be here, let em go.

Byrd will get what the market pays him, not what his worth is relative to another safety.

Correct. Kaepernick and Wilson both make well under $1 million per year, due to where and when they were drafted. That does not mean that other QB's are overpaid; it just means that Wilson and Kaepernick are steals.

Byrd gave us 4 years on a 2nd round rookie contract. He was a pro bowler and an all pro. I think we got more from him then he got from us.

That's a good point. But also a good reason why he deserves to be paid top dollar. He far outplayed his contract each of the first four years in a row. Ridiculously outplayed it. There is every reason to believe that he will get better and better.

Correct. Kaepernick and Wilson both make well under $1 million per year, due to where and when they were drafted. That does not mean that other QB's are overpaid; it just means that Wilson and Kaepernick are steals.

Not for long. I just heard on Sirius that Kaepernick wants 18 million per season.

Byrd gave us 4 years on a 2nd round rookie contract. He was a pro bowler and an all pro. I think we got more from him then he got from us. The guy doesn't want to be here, let em go.

How does that mentality build a winning football team? What it means is you've got to hit on all your top picks because you're recycling players at a really high rate. The Bills had 10 first through third round picks from 2007-09. Six managed to play well and are still in the league. Only two of those six were re-signed. So you've got average at best drafting combined with not keeping your highest picks. The league is too competitive for a team to take that approach and expect to win. The again maybe winning isn't as much of a priority as some think.

I think the point is what they did today is give up before they had to give up. That's not what you should do. if they tagged him and tried to trade him and THEN found out no one caved like Philly and the Falcons did for Peters and Price, or no one offered a second rounder at the last second when it appeared they were going to lose Byrd to another team OR the Bills put out word they were going to keep him be damned, THEN you take off the tag and let him walk like they did today. At least you exercised your option.

As I said before in this thread, with what they did and said, Byrd and Parker would have been idiots to sign for less than 65m-6 and 30m guaranteed with the Bills.

What you're saying makes sense; however, it's quite possible that Whaley has been in touch with teams about trading him as far back as last August and he knows the trade market just isn't there for him. If that's the case, then why play that out again?

I think it's going to be interesting to see where Byrd ends up and what his salary is, because I suspect he's over estimating his value just a bit.

That's not necessarily accurate. The CBA language stipulates what you're saying as the diet qualifier for a comp pick. However, because there are 32 picks to mete out, and not enough teams that qualify for the 32 picks, a weighted formula is applied for teams that break even on FAs.

Thanks for clarifying that what it looked like you were saying is not in fact how you feel. Would you be willing to further explain?

but those come at the end of the ones awarded at the tail end of the 7th, right before they start an 8th round that doles out the very last of those 32

The Saints were not afraid to tag Brees last year, even though Brees was outraged. The Saints did not have a problem tagging Graham as a TE. The collective bargaining agreement allowed us to keep the player who is now the top free agent on the market, and we decided to pass and let him go. I don't get it. The tag would have been cheaper than the 10 million we offered him for the next season.

What you're saying makes sense; however, it's quite possible that Whaley has been in touch with teams about trading him as far back as last August and he knows the trade market just isn't there for him. If that's the case, then why play that out again?

I think it's going to be interesting to see where Byrd ends up and what his salary is, because I suspect he's over estimating his value just a bit.

How hard is it, honestly, to put up with some questions from the media, and to answer a few phone calls, and to have your paid employees work on something a very short amount of time on the chance that you are going to get a #1, #2, or legitimate #3 draft out of the deal instead of nothing?

And if it doesn't work out, and no one wants him for a trade, you are in the same position you are in today.

I'm not saying we could have got a great trade out of this, I'm saying that there is precedent for it, and it doesn't hurt, it only can help.

Seriously. That's exactly what I was thinking. Whaley stands there and says they didn't tag and trade him because it's too many moving parts. You have to find a trade partner, etc.

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDIN ME? That's your job Doug!!! My god this team is unreal. You can't make this stuff up.

The Saints were not afraid to tag Brees last year, even though Brees was outraged. The Saints did not have a problem tagging Graham as a TE. The collective bargaining agreement allowed us to keep the player who is now the top free agent on the market, and we decided to pass and let him go. I don't get it. The tag would have been cheaper than the 10 million we offered him for the next season.

that its even in year 2 a considerable discount from what we were seemingly willing to offer him on a contract makes it a bit of a head scratcher that they didnt atleast say "listen, sign this paper, it has a no-tag clause next year, show up to camp" and heck, maybe even throw in a few extra bucks and go from there.

Edited by NoSaint

Byrd will get what the market pays him, not what his worth is relative to another safety.

Of course he will--I'm just saying that the number of teams lining up to pay him $10M/year may not be as numerous as some folks may believe.

How hard is it, honestly, to put up with some questions from the media, and to answer a few phone calls, and to have your paid employees work on something a very short amount of time on the chance that you are going to get a #1, #2, or legitimate #3 draft out of the deal instead of nothing?

And if it doesn't work out, and no one wants him for a trade, you are in the same position you are in today.

I'm not saying we could have got a great trade out of this, I'm saying that there is precedent for it, and it doesn't hurt, it only can help.

I agree, completely. But I don't know the full situation. Maybe they tried all season to trade Byrd? Maybe Parker said tag him and we'll walk from ANY offer you put on the table? Maybe Doug just doesn't like Byrd? My point being that it's hard to know all the efforts that our front office has put in to this; therefore, its hard to draw any concrete conclusions about what they should or shouldn't have done.

With that said, we were in this exact same situation last year. And the Bills couldn't (but maybe they didn't try?) trade him, so the one thing I feel most comfortable concluding is that there most likely aren't any teams willing to trade for him based on what he thinks he's worth and what the Bills want in return.

but those come at the end of the ones awarded at the tail end of the 7th, right before they start an 8th round that doles out the very last of those 32

That's correct as usual NoSaint.

I was just clarifying that there doesn't need to be a net loss of FAs to get a comp pick and neglected to mention that point.

Congrats to Eugene on massaging these nimrods into being able to sleep easy at night with their less than market offer. Byrd is obviously comfortable leaving.....and Eugene probably has already discussed the number he wants with other teams and the last part is coercing the team with all the leverage into not using the tag by keeping things warm and friendly and making them feel good about their efforts. Say what you want, but he is obviously the smartest guy in the room when dealing with any Bills official. Well played, sir. :beer:

I agree, completely. But I don't know the full situation. Maybe they tried all season to trade Byrd? Maybe Parker said tag him and we'll walk from ANY offer you put on the table? Maybe Doug just doesn't like Byrd? My point being that it's hard to know all the efforts that our front office has put in to this; therefore, its hard to draw any concrete conclusions about what they should or shouldn't have done.

With that said, we were in this exact same situation last year. And the Bills couldn't (but maybe they didn't try?) trade him, so the one thing I feel most comfortable concluding is that there most likely aren't any teams willing to trade for him based on what he thinks he's worth and what the Bills want in return.

1] even if all those things are true you suggested, or other possibilities neither of us have thought of before, you still tag him because circumstances change, and people say stuff that isn't true.

2] we were in the same situation last year, but we tagged him and we got 10 good games out of him, even with the injury.

So why should he sign with the Bills then, even if there are only 2-3?

I never said he should. I know its a long thread and so many posts get missed--I was responding to a post about Byrd's value as a safety.

He should be trying to get as much as he can; no harm no foul there.

I would tag him if I were the Bills--they obviously feel differently based on what they know of the situation.

Bitter pill to swallow as a fan; sometimes it is indeed better to move on though.

I never said he should. I know its a long thread and so many posts get missed--I was responding to a post about Byrd's value as a safety.

He should be trying to get as much as he can; no harm no foul there.

I would tag him if I were the Bills--they obviously feel differently based on what they know of the situation.

Bitter pill to swallow as a fan; sometimes it is indeed better to move on though.

Got it. Thx. And yes, sometimes it is indeed better to move on. To me, this wasnt the time.

Your Buffalo Bills: bringing knives to gun-fights since 1999, and probably earlier.

This should work out about as well as when they let Nate Clements go for nothing. If a team gave us a fourth round pick it would still be better than the compensatory pick shakeout, presuming the Bills will sign some FAs that will offset the reward.

So damned frustrating.

1] even if all those things are true you suggested, or other possibilities neither of us have thought of before, you still tag him because circumstances change, and people say stuff that isn't true.

2] we were in the same situation last year, but we tagged him and we got 10 good games out of him, even with the injury.

Why didn't they tag him and simply remove the tag in August just to screw him over and send a message?

I'll always be a Bills fan but its painful to see the organization frequentely mis-manage assets. Byrd's the best safety we've had in a long time. The franchise tag would seemingly give us enough leverage to sign him long term. Yet the F.O. is incapable of achieving it. Not sure if its because they're cheap or incompetent but god damn good organizations seem to retain their best young players.

Like I said, it's going to be interesting to see how much more another team pays him. Because if he just wanted out of Buffalo, regardless, then I wouldn't tag him either. If you're trying to change the culture and build a team of guys fighting for each other, you don't keep guys around that aren't buying into your plans, even if you can get another 10 good games out of him.

Got it. Thx. And yes, sometimes it is indeed better to move on. To me, this wasnt the time.

I agree...next year would've been better IMO with one more year under the tag.

Let's hope the team's plan to replace him works

I agree...next year would've been better IMO with one more year under the tag.

Let's hope the team's plan to replace him works better than the plan to replace Levitre

Why didn't they tag him and simply remove the tag in August just to screw him over and send a message?

At this point they have to be looking at their relationships with incoming FAs. If this is viewed as a place that is unfriendly to players, it means the Bills are playing a few cards shorter than they already are - and they are already not a prime destination.

I am annoyed with the situation but spite can't rule the day.

The tag is a fair number for one year, and an unfair number to a player expecting 20M guaranteed. I am surprised they cannot meet in the middle here. If they really can't, it must have something to do with the franchise itself, in which case recouping something on the loss via even a low draft pick would be preferable to this.

At this point they have to be looking at their relationships with incoming FAs. If this is viewed as a place that is unfriendly to players, it means the Bills are playing a few cards shorter than they already are - and they are already not a prime destination.

I am annoyed with the situation but spite can't rule the day.

The tag is a fair number for one year, and an unfair number to a player expecting 20M guaranteed. I am surprised they cannot meet in the middle here. If they really can't, it must have something to do with the franchise itself, in which case recouping something on the loss via even a low draft pick would be preferable to this.

I respectfully disagree. They let Clements go after Marv made him a "promise," and we continue to lose football games. Parker is out for blood and I respect this. But teams have the leverage if they are tough enough to use it.

Lets be realistic here for a second. The bills had to do the PR thing here and show that they wanted the guy here but the team had a value on the guy and werent willing to go beyond that. It wasnt an accident that they drafted 2 safeties last year. They were planning for his exit. They now have the money to build the team in areas of weakness. The oline can be addressed, ILB can be addressed, dareus and aaron williams can be resigned and they can continue to build through the draft. I wanted Byrd to stay and he might but if he does it will on the Bills terms. They have spent a LOT of money on the coaching staff, they are building the team the way they want to. Byrd may not want to be a part of that, he will probably be paid more elsewhere and I dont blame him for that but how I will smile if we go to the play offs and imagine him watching on TV. Ever optimistic maybe but I do think we are building something here.

I am done imploding after a day or so of this.

Last year JB got paid for all his efforts. This year he can do as he wishes. and he wishes to move on. He probably did last year too.

Always always more to the story .

I am over it. See it wasnt that hard !!

But i will pay close attention till the bitter end.

Sincere best wishes Jairus .\

Turn the page folks

Because they wanted him to play and there was still a chance to sign him long term. Not to mention you don't screw a guy over, you play hardball within the rules, both letter and spirit.

Because they wanted him to play and there was still a chance to sign him long term. Not to mention you don't screw a guy over, you play hardball within the rules, both letter and spirit.

Are you saying that what Byrd/Parker did last season was OK, and my scenario is somehow not OK?

Lets be realistic here for a second. The bills had to do the PR thing here and show that they wanted the guy here but the team had a value on the guy and werent willing to go beyond that. It wasnt an accident that they drafted 2 safeties last year. They were planning for his exit. They now have the money to build the team in areas of weakness. The oline can be addressed, ILB can be addressed, dareus and aaron williams can be resigned and they can continue to build through the draft. I wanted Byrd to stay and he might but if he does it will on the Bills terms. They have spent a LOT of money on the coaching staff, they are building the team the way they want to. Byrd may not want to be a part of that, he will probably be paid more elsewhere and I dont blame him for that but how I will smile if we go to the play offs and imagine him watching on TV. Ever optimistic maybe but I do think we are building something here.

the first post with positive leanings

Hurrah !

Ah. Yes. Another day of the Bills proving their ineptness. Sweet.

you revel in this all some how dont you ?