Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darryl Talley@DarrylTalley1m

Welcome 2 my worldRT @ByTimGraham: One of Jairus Byrd's biggest frustrations with Bills was having four D coordinators in his five seasons.

yep no s===.

i have been diligent in my thinking. Consistency, reliable and true to course are valued by the players.

Buffalo has suffered so much discombobulation o'er these 14 years or more , no one knows where to hang their damned hat or how to lace the cleats.

Even if Pettine jumps ship ( i mean that literally ) Marrone owns what the players perceive in being a Bill.

No small feat . I pity the man sometimes while others want his pass key to the facilty.

Bills have been one of the most challenging teams to take on i wager.

Browns of course or trying to outdo us of late.

!

Darryl Talley@DarrylTalley1m

Welcome 2 my worldRT @ByTimGraham: One of Jairus Byrd's biggest frustrations with Bills was having four D coordinators in his five seasons.

A little different circumstance here; we've never had a guy leave for a promotion. This would also mean that even if get another DC, the scheme will be the same.

Pettine seems to be the only guy in the process who wants the job. Haslam has a PR nightmare on his hands. Firing Chud has a more profound effect on Cleveland than he or his front office realize. Unless you are a guy desperate to get back into the game or wanting your first HC job, no one wants the gig. I was surprised Mike Lombardi did not offer the job to NFL Network colleague Brian Billick. Billick was in the running for the Bills job

(-)1

I don't care.. he has 5 SB rings (2 as a player and 3 as a coach)...He has been on a defensive staff that wins this very division every single year for over a decade. I'll take the system he installs any day over Pettine's.

Will he bring Tom Brady? Brady, not the defense, is why NE has been competitive in the last 5 years.

It's over folks. Time to look for a new DC.

Daryl Ruiter ‏@RuiterWrongFAN 2m

Hearing that Jimmy Haslam, Joe Banner, Alec Scheiner & Mike Lombardi all few to Mobile, Ala to meet w/ Pettine tonight #Browns

Daryl Ruiter ‏@RuiterWrongFAN 2m

It marks the first time that the big 4 will meet with a candidate together #Browns

Some more bad news from another media source

[/background][/i][/size][/font][/color]

Well this would truly suck. No good candidates on the current staff. No top candidates that are currently "on the street" AND any outsider is going to set the D back by changing schemes and coaches again. What a nightmare.

All the more reason to give Donnie Henderson the nod. That would be the most seamless transition. And from all that I've heard, the players love the guy.

GO BILLS!!!

Here is Henderson's coaching resume (courtesy of Wikipedia). You tell me if that sounds like a good candidate:

Henderson first joined the Jets during the 2004 NFL season.[1] In 2005, the Jets had a second-ranked defense against the pass, but a 32nd-ranked defense against the run, which undoubtedly was one of the factors leading to the team's disappointing 4-12 record (in addition to Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin being absent for most of the season due to injury). Henderson was not kept on after head coach Herman Edwards was replaced by Eric Mangini following the season.

Henderson soon accepted the defensive coordinator position for the Detroit Lionsand new head coach, Rod Marinelli. The Lions went 3-13 in 2006 and finished the season ranked 27th out of 32 in total defense. Henderson was fired from his position on January 2, 2007.

In 2010, he was hired by the Arizona Cardinals as a defensive backs coach.[2]

Henderson coached at Southern University in 2011 and was named the Defensive Backs coach at Syracuse University in 2012.[3] He was hired by the Buffalo Bills in 2013 to coach the defensive backs.[4]

Edited by OldTimer1960

Here is Henderson's coaching resume (courtesy of Wikipedia). You tell me if that sounds like a good candidate:

Henderson first joined the Jets during the 2004 NFL season.[1] In 2005, the Jets had a second-ranked defense against the pass, but a 32nd-ranked defense against the run, which undoubtedly was one of the factors leading to the team's disappointing 4-12 record (in addition to Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin being absent for most of the season due to injury). Henderson was not kept on after head coach Herman Edwards was replaced by Eric Mangini following the season.

Henderson soon accepted the defensive coordinator position for the Detroit Lionsand new head coach, Rod Marinelli. The Lions went 3-13 in 2006 and finished the season ranked 27th out of 32 in total defense. Henderson was fired from his position on January 2, 2007.

Henderson coached at Southern University in 2011 and was named the Defensive Backs coach at Syracuse University in 2012.[3] He was hired by the Buffalo Bills in 2013 to coach the defensive backs.[4]

That DOES sound familiar!

Well this would truly suck. No good candidates on the current staff. No top candidates that are currently "on the street" AND any outsider is going to set the D back by changing schemes and coaches again. What a nightmare.

There is always Wade Phillips.

It's been rumored that his favorite place to work was Buffalo and if Ralph is out of the picture it might entice him to come back. Maybe that's just wishful thinking but I think he'd be welcomed back with open arms by the fan base.

And we will just keep on keeping on. Time to hurry up to standby for an to this madness

Daryl Ruiter@RuiterWrongFAN 49s

Hearing #Browns intent tonight is to be told by Pettine on why they should offer him the job, if they like what they hear they just might

There is always Wade Phillips.

It's been rumored that his favorite place to work was Buffalo and if Ralph is out of the picture it might entice him to come back. Maybe that's just wishful thinking but I think he'd be welcomed back with open arms by the fan base.

And we will just keep on keeping on. Time to hurry up to standby for an to this madness

[/background][/font][/color]

Even if Phillips were to be willing to come back after he sued the Bills, he'd want to change the base scheme to his favored 3-4 and the team would be back in the situation of not having the right players for the chosen scheme.

I acknowledge that Phillips has almost always produced good defenses, but I can't see how changing coaches, schemes and players again is anything but a big step backwards.

If Pettine was smart he'd come back to Buffalo in 2014, and help us make the playoffs. If next year 6-7 HC positions open as usual, Pettine would likely be the #1 option.

$24 mil in Cap space, two 1st round picks, if Cleveland offers the job for 4-5 years GUARANTEED....you take it !!

Even if Phillips were to be willing to come back after he sued the Bills, he'd want to change the base scheme to his favored 3-4 and the team would be back in the situation of not having the right players for the chosen scheme.

I acknowledge that Phillips has almost always produced good defenses, but I can't see how changing coaches, schemes and players again is anything but a big step backwards.

We're not far off from producing a base 3-4. We would still need to fill the same holes on defense regardless if it was Pettine or Wade.

You need to go further back in his resume to appreciate the level of familiarity he has with the Ryan/Pettine schemes.

I don't put much stock in his previous stints as a DC with some poor personnel and major dysfunction. He has a solid foundation to work with in Buffalo, the most talented group he's been around since those Raven squads.

Perhaps we'll end up going in another direction. But I can see where Henderson makes a lot of sense.

GO BILLS!!!

We're not far off from producing a base 3-4. We would still need to fill the same holes on defense regardless if it was Pettine or Wade.

I don't think Phillips is coming back to Buffalo, but if he were to, I am not seeing where they have the players to play that scheme.

While Dareus is a big guy, he is more of a penetrating DT than a stack the point NT. Kyle Williams is not a 3-4 NT. If they re-sign Carrington, he and Branch might be adequate DEs, but pushing Mario Williams to OLB is not his optimal position (IMHO).

Where will the pass rush come from? Possibly Hughes can play 3-4 OLB and have another good season...

The biggest problem with this, in my opinion, is that the players have to learn yet another new scheme complete with the ugly learning curve that comes with that. Pencil in a bottom 1/3rd defense again next year.

You need to go further back in his resume to appreciate the level of familiarity he has with the Ryan/Pettine schemes.

I don't put much stock in his previous stints as a DC with some poor personnel and major dysfunction. He has a solid foundation to work with in Buffalo, the most talented group he's been around since those Raven squads.

Perhaps we'll end up going in another direction. But I can see where Henderson makes a lot of sense.

GO BILLS!!!

He undoubtedly is familiar with those schemes, but can he coach them? While I acknowledge that player personnel certainly has a lot to do with a team's/coaches success, his track record is less than inspiring as a DC. He has been fired twice as DC in very short stints each time. If NFL teams thought much of him, what was he doing coaching DBs at Southern University recently?

He undoubtedly is familiar with those schemes, but can he coach them? While I acknowledge that player personnel certainly has a lot to do with a team's/coaches success, his track record is less than inspiring as a DC. He has been fired twice as DC in very short stints each time. If NFL teams thought much of him, what was he doing coaching DBs at Southern University recently?

Should fit in well with our STs coach...

I don't think Phillips is coming back to Buffalo, but if he were to, I am not seeing where they have the players to play that scheme.

While Dareus is a big guy, he is more of a penetrating DT than a stack the point NT. Kyle Williams is not a 3-4 NT. If they re-sign Carrington, he and Branch might be adequate DEs, but pushing Mario Williams to OLB is not his optimal position (IMHO).

Where will the pass rush come from? Possibly Hughes can play 3-4 OLB and have another good season...

The biggest problem with this, in my opinion, is that the players have to learn yet another new scheme complete with the ugly learning curve that comes with that. Pencil in a bottom 1/3rd defense again next year.

Dareus is probably best suited as a 3-4 DE. Kyle could also man the other DE spot. We would need to find a traditional 2 gap NT.

Mario can easily play the Joker LB spot and strictly rush the passer. Hughes is another OLB that can rush and Lawson can cover.

We would need to find another ILB to play next to Kiko which we would need anyway. We don't need much in my opinion.

I'd say yes, he can coach those schemes because he has coached within those schemes in the past, as well as others. That's the least of my worries with Henderson.

As to what he was doing between stints in the NFL, that's not uncommon and I don't view it as an indictment of his ability. There are plenty of good coaches not coaching in the league at the moment.

Is there ONE candidate out there that you wouldn't find fault with?

GO BILLS!!!

Dareus is probably best suited as a 3-4 DE. Kyle could also man the other DE spot. We would need to find a traditional 2 gap NT.

Mario can easily play the Joker LB spot and strictly rush the passer. Hughes is another OLB that can rush and Lawson can cover.

We would need to find another ILB to play next to Kiko which we would need anyway. We don't need much in my opinion.

Well, if your right, then there is only the MAJOR hurdle of Phillips and Ralph Wilson hating each other...

I'd say yes, he can coach those schemes because he has coached within those schemes in the past, as well as others. That's the least of my worries with Henderson.

As to what he was doing between stints in the NFL, that's not uncommon and I don't view it as an indictment of his ability. There are plenty of good coaches not coaching in the league at the moment.

Is there ONE candidate out there that you wouldn't find fault with?

GO BILLS!!!

It isn't that I find fault with all coaches. It is that any qualified candidates have been snatched up already for other jobs. It is VERY unfortunate that this is happening so late in the off-season.

Further, I think any import DC will want to change schemes and other coaches on the staff - a big step back.

I am a firm believer that players are more important than coaches (for the most part), but I'd rather see them lose Jairus Byrd than Pettine (and I really want them to keep Byrd).

I wonder, would they consider Greg Schiano? I don't know that he is really qualified for the job, but he did do a great job as HC at Rutgers and I thought he was starting to turn Tampa around after they got rid of Josh Freeman. They certainly finished strong.

Alan Branch?

ClevelandStrikesBack@ClevStrikesBack 16m

Yes, the evidence over last few hours has made it pretty clear but this is solid. Pettine is going to be hired as #Browns HC.

ClevelandStrikesBack@ClevStrikesBack 14m

Yes. Positive. RT @Wease22: @ClevStrikesBack - You are rarely wrong and first to officially report it! You positive!?!?

This really would be a disaster. No way Henderson should be the DC. I hope that Marrone and the front office are smart enough to bring in a DC from outside of the current coaching group.

Well then, I hope it's someone from the Ryan/Pettine tree who doesn't need to come in with new schemes and terminology. It takes a defense the better part of half a season to start being comfortable in a new system. That's just the nature of the beast. We have a solid veteran defense that really started to gel and get comfortable in the current scheme. There's a lot to be said for continuity in that regard. The players love Henderson, he's more than familiar with the system, and he does have DC experience. Makes sense to promote him on several levels.

GO BILLS!!!