Tashard Choice released, Wingo's role to increase

What if Fred or CJ go down again during the last 4 games? Wouldn't Choice be the best option if they really want to win, or are the Bills packing it in and want to get a look at Wingo? This one caught everyone offguard, including the News beat writers. Never know what the braintrust is thinking.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about THIS Bills regime, they are not slow to pull the trigger on roster moves...

Uhhhh....they were horribly slow getting enough QB's on the roster, and then they overdid it...at one point had 5 I think. (they probabily had to buy more footballs)

Not strange timing, logical timing. Bills are now out of playoff contention, these games remaining are nothing but the first of the 2014 preseason games. Choice will get his whole years salary anyhow, and might get resigned again if they need him and he hasn't been picked up elsewhere. Choice is a journeyman back, and has worked for several teams. He might kick around the league some few more years. (Of course, the Bills have to play the first teamers against anybody who has playoff asperations/homefield considerations. But, the next two weeks are not in that category)

I have no qualms about giving Wingo more looks. The odd timing is cutting Choice outright when there's still a week's exemption on Meeks and you haven't seen Wingo in live action at all.

In all seriousness, the RBs will have a new look in about 2 years. I don't believe Spiller gets a new contract from the Bills and Freddie probably has 1-2 good years left. I see a RB drafted either this year or next.

Yes, one will be drafted to insure against Spiller's departure...but the Bills will break the bank to try and keep Spiller. He may not want to stay however, after this seasons debacle...not sure the OC knows how to use him. His best interest might be to leave, irrespective of money. If they do retain him....then the drafted back is Fred's replacement. Fred is currently, I have heard, the oldest running back in the NFL.

Not strange timing, logical timing. Bills are now out of playoff contention, these games remaining are nothing but the first of the 2014 preseason games. Choice will get his whole years salary anyhow, and might get resigned again if they need him and he hasn't been picked up elsewhere. Choice is a journeyman back, and has worked for several teams. He might kick around the league some few more years. (Of course, the Bills have to play the first teamers against anybody who has playoff asperations/homefield considerations. But, the next two weeks are not in that category)

Bills part ways with Tashard Choice

Joe B's Take:

At 4-8, it would be prudent for the Bills to see what they have on the roster in the setting of regular season games. This move is likely to get undrafted free agent rookie Ronnie Wingo some time on the field so that way the Bills can evaluate whether or not he fills a potential need this off-season. Choice and the Bills were destined for a breakup upon signing only a one-year deal, so if the sizable Wingo (6-foot-3, 231 pounds) can play well, that may cancel the need for the Bills to select a young running back in the later portions of the 2014 draft. Choice's final grades for the Bills in 2013 read as this: 105 offensive snaps and a 2.34 GPA. Through 12 games, he ranked 29th out of 39 Bills players that took at least 100 snaps.

Yes, one will be drafted to insure against Spiller's departure...but the Bills will break the bank to try and keep Spiller. He may not want to stay however, after this seasons debacle...not sure the OC knows how to use him. His best interest might be to leave, irrespective of money. If they do retain him....then the drafted back is Fred's replacement. Fred is currently, I have heard, the oldest running back in the NFL.

Hmmm...debacle you say.

With four games to play, he needs 344 yards to eclipse 1,000 yards (having missed one full game and the majority of two others)

And he only needs about 18 carries each of the next four weeks to hit the number he had last year.

And actually if he gets those carries, at his current ypc (4.8--hardly a debacle) he'll be at 1,001 yds for the season.

I agree. Think this is a look to next season move. May as well have a look at Wingo now, the season is dead, CJ and Freddie are both more than likely back next year, Summers has had a good year as a ball carrier and occasional pass catcher from full back and T-Choice was never going to be more than a kind of ok back up guy.

I dont fully buy into the "cut Choice to see what we have in Wingo" theory...Wingo is already on the 53-man roster..all the Bills would have to do is make Choice inactive on game days over Wingo and let Wingo run Choices plays...simple as that, they get to see how Wingo does and not lose a RB in the process...theres got to be someone else they have in mind...maybe someone to either help in run defense or help offense on 3rd downs??

I dont fully buy into the "cut Choice to see what we have in Wingo" theory...Wingo is already on the 53-man roster..all the Bills would have to do is make Choice inactive on game days over Wingo and let Wingo run Choices plays...simple as that, they get to see how Wingo does and not lose a RB in the process...theres got to be someone else they have in mind...maybe someone to either help in run defense or help offense on 3rd downs??

Agree re: Wingo. Most likely to bring up Meeks to the active roster when he is eligible in a few days (?)

WAG - see what Meeks has and phase out Leonhard

Agree re: Wingo. Most likely to bring up Meeks to the active roster when he is eligible in a few days (?)

WAG - see what Meeks has and phase out Leonhard

but according to previous posters - thats not this week... which would mean theres something pressing to make the move now instead of later, if they are right.

You sure? I thought Choice had a decent salary as a 3rd string RB.

I don't recall the exact number but it was thousands not millions. Essentially vet minimum plus a nice dinner or two, which is higher than rookie min, but not terribly noteworthy.

Edited by NoSaint

Very classy move.

hopefully. also has potential to be not a good sign for morale. id guess those guys wouldnt do it without the go ahead from above though.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings on it too. Kinda feels mutinous.

Personally I like it when players stick up for each other.

Did Choice have any incentives in his contract he was getting close to I wonder?

In guessing that deep down, the Coaching Staff knows that it's over and they are getting some other guys some shots to see what they've got.

As much as I want to fight until were mathematically eliminated, I'm hoping this is the truth. It has been a very long time since we tanked ANY part of the season in order to see what we have. Marrone is in scouting mode right now. That's my guess.

As much as I want to fight until were mathematically eliminated, I'm hoping this is the truth. It has been a very long time since we tanked ANY part of the season in order to see what we have. Marrone is in scouting mode right now. That's my guess.

I couldn't agree more.

I don't want to use too much hyperbole--but this is maybe the most exciting move the bills have made since drafting EJ.

It tells me a few things--the coach and gm feel very comfortable in their standing with the team, and have probably been told by brandon they will be in place either as long as brandon is there (until ralph dies) or 4-5 years--whichever comes first.

Second--and this might be the most important: We have some real talent at leadership positions (front office, sideline, etc.) I am one of the guys that plays with the ESPN playoff calculator until i can get the 6-10 bills in at the final wild card spot. I'm glad the coaches are not. Choice might not have been a "big name" player, but he's big enough. It's exciting to see the organization going into evaluation mode now, with 4 games left to develop ej, grow the offense, see what we have, and what our TRUE areas of need are.

This is the difference between being proactive and reactive. Gailey or Jauron et. al would have been giving the company line "were still alive, we still have a chance."

This moves shows the players: were here to win. If you don't win, you wont be here, and we'll use the games left that are now meaningless (because you didn't win) to find your replacements who can win.

Maybe they like someone on another practice squad.

I believe if they pick up a practice squad player from another team, he must go on active roster.

My bet is they want to start filling spots for next year the best way they can.

I'd like to see what one of the big wr's on our practice squad can do, assuming they are ready to try.

Doesn't make sense to release him, considering his effectiveness as the all-purpose backup. Something must have happened. If Wingo wowed them in practice, why not give him a few carries when Spiller was out? Odd timing to say the least.

Yeah. This is certainly a head scratcher

I couldn't agree more.

I don't want to use too much hyperbole--but this is maybe the most exciting move the bills have made since drafting EJ.

It tells me a few things--the coach and gm feel very comfortable in their standing with the team, and have probably been told by brandon they will be in place either as long as brandon is there (until ralph dies) or 4-5 years--whichever comes first.

Second--and this might be the most important: We have some real talent at leadership positions (front office, sideline, etc.) I am one of the guys that plays with the ESPN playoff calculator until i can get the 6-10 bills in at the final wild card spot. I'm glad the coaches are not. Choice might not have been a "big name" player, but he's big enough. It's exciting to see the organization going into evaluation mode now, with 4 games left to develop ej, grow the offense, see what we have, and what our TRUE areas of need are.

This is the difference between being proactive and reactive. Gailey or Jauron et. al would have been giving the company line "were still alive, we still have a chance."

This moves shows the players: were here to win. If you don't win, you wont be here, and we'll use the games left that are now meaningless (because you didn't win) to find your replacements who can win.

I want to disagree but I can't.