I dont get bills fans sometimes.....2-3 and the season is over in a 16

I disagree... we've seen this same song before!!! Not buying into the silver lining here. We're in dire straits on offense, and the writing is on the wall. I'm not eating crow later because a winning record from here on is just not happening, plain and simple. Who exactly are we going to beat with a third string quarterback or a quarterback who couldn't even make a roster AS a third string? Come on man... be real.

I'm with you John.

Although my hopes aren't through the roof, but with a solid ground game and an even stronger defense with the return of Gilmore, Brooks, and Byrd (if he doesn't get traded, or finally stops being a baby) then we could have a sickly defense. The whole league should watch out for this group on the defensive side.

On the EJ note, I firmly believe it will be the short end of the 5-8 weeks. This week is one of them, so that's really only 4 games. Not as bad as it sounds. Plus we have a bye week in there somewhere.

It shouldn't be all doom and gloom but so many here have losing engrained into their "Bills Blue" DNA.

Edited by mrags

Gotta say John I spoke with at least 5 die-hard Bills Fans Friday who said the minute EJ got hurt not only did they know the Bills would lose that game, they knew the season was basically over...It's not so much about the overall feeling folks have about the team, because most believe the Bills are better on Defense, and that we do have a decent team overall...But our QB situation is a complete cluster-you-know-what now...And that's reason enough for some Bills Fans to throw that white flag you spoke about... B-)

We would have been lucky to win 7 games with EJ. Without him we will be lucky to win 5. It's not pecimism it's common sense. This is a rebuilding year. Our goal should be to get better each week and if we accomplish that then we are doing well

Edited by kdiggz

All we hve to do I win some games that people expect us to lose (you know....like the Ravens game) and we are right back in it

- Even with the loss of EJ for 3-4 weeks the team is getting healthier.....our D should be very stout

No way im throwing up the white flag 5 games into the season

That is all

There were only 2 potentially positive outcomes for this season:

Break the losing culture by having a winning record

and/or

having the QB of the future emerge and play well

The first objective is still attainable but not with some guy who can't make another NFL teams roster taking over at mid-season as the starter.

Aside from maybe picking up Freeman.......who has maybe a 20% chance of ever recovering his franchise QB status.......the Bills are looking like an offensive disaster waiting to happen.

Too bad, because they have some defenders having really good individual seasons and getting the secondary healthy would make them tough if they had a good supporting offense.

If Tuel, Dixon, or White are the QB until EJ is healthy this season is over. If Freeman is signed there is still hope. QB is the most important position in football by a mile and starting any of the three bums that I mentioned are the QB it is going to be awful to watch.

This season is a development year. The main guy under development is out probably until after the bye when they have three out of four on the road to finish the season.

We're playing a superbowl contender next week, followed by two road games against teams who are clearly better. Then host the currently undefeated Chiefs.

Things look so great!

If Tuel, Dixon, or White are the QB until EJ is healthy this season is over. If Freeman is signed there is still hope. QB is the most important position in football by a mile and starting any of the three bums that I mentioned are the QB it is going to be awful to watch.

Unfortunately true. And getting a less than complete look at EJ Manuel was the worst case scenario, IMO. With what we have seen so far it is a huge leap of faith to say EJ is a potential franchise QB. He has had moments just like JP, Edwards, Fitz and Rob Johnson........but his play to this point has been covered up by conservative coaching and an opportunistic defense. Freeman would provide some hope but considering how they handled the backup QB situation during the offseason.......shunning good backups for a UDFA and the horrendous Kevin Kolb.....it is hard to see them bringing in a talented young QB who might challenge EJ.

I'm with you John.

Although my hopes aren't through the roof, but with a solid ground game and an even stronger defense with the return of Gilmore, Brooks, and Byrd (if he doesn't get traded, or finally stops being a baby) then we could have a sickly defense. The whole league should watch out for this group on the defensive side.

On the EJ note, I firmly believe it will be the short end of the 5-8 weeks. This week is one of them, so that's really only 4 games. Not as bad as it sounds. Plus we have a bye week in there somewhere.

It shouldn't be all doom and gloom but so many here have losing engrained into their "Bills Blue" DNA.

I can't imagine why this would be...

I can understand why people will dump the season with EJ out. He missed a good portion of preseason and now will miss a quarter of regular season. EJ needs to be in and be given a chance to play the game the way he knows how. With the way the first few games have been the play calls have been "varied". Some have made him shine and others have made him look awful. That's the nature of the game. Plenty of other QB's were held back and looked like garbage their first season but he does have the all the assets to be a very good if not great QB.

The defense, I'm not worried about until Pettine leaves. We pretty much have the same group of guys (plus Kiko) and they look like a defense that most teams will never take for granted.

I'm not concerned with the remainder of the season with EJ out because we can win or lose with or without him. I just want to see progression from the status quo.

All we hve to do I win some games that people expect us to lose (you know....like the Ravens game) and we are right back in it

- Even with the loss of EJ for 3-4 weeks the team is getting healthier.....our D should be very stout

That is all

The gloom is from the EJ injury (we have NO viable backup), and years of suckitude. But you are right, this can change quickly. If EJ isn't hurt and we still lose at CLE, we lick our wounds and have a chance for 3-3 at home next week. With EJ hurt and Tuel starting we will be lucky to find the ned zone, let alone win a game. Now if Josh Freeman chooses Buffalo everything changes again. The chance that our QB of the present and future is on this roster increases greatly. If it's Tuel and some other mediocrity, the season is effectively done until EJ comes back and the evaluation continues. It's a really fluid situation right now and the next 24 hours or so is fairly huge for the future of this organization.

well i guess it's time to nut up or shut up. we'll see what kind of ball players are on this team over the next few weeks. i'm betting we have a few that are not going to just concede the remainder of the schedule because the starting rookie qb is going to be out for a few weeks.

I'm with you John.

Now, I want to be as optimistic as most here, but be realistic. The Bills will be playing the next 4-8 games with a starting QB that no team wanted as even their 3rd stringer. I agree that Spiller and Jackson should be a good ground game, but with no passing threat at all, defenses will take that run game away almost completely.

With the exception of Josh Freeman, insert any of the available QBs and think about whether defenses will have to remotely respect the passing game. Expect a steady dose of man-to-man on receivers with at least 1 safety in the box on nearly every down.

FWIW, I KNOW that Tebow can't pass to save his life, but if they can't get Freeman - I'd just as soon take a wild chance with someone who has found a way to win some NFL games than cast my lot with Pat White, Dennis Dixon, etc. At least Tebow might be able to eek out a win or two and maintain team morale with his leadership...

AGAIN, TO BE CLEAR, I know that Tim Tebow is NOT an NFL passer. For those as old as me, he is a modern-day Bobby Douglass... However, I think he might give the team a better chance to win a game or be competitive than any of the available FA QBs besides Josh Freeman.

That is all

People want their instant gratification...

I'm with you though, this season is FAR from over. If we can get a QB to just manage the next few games, who knows where we'll be. It's not like EJ was playing at a Payton Manning level - find someone to play within the system and with our D (getting stronger with Gilmore, Brooks, Byrd [?], Leodis) and CJ / FJ we'll be OK until EJ gets back!

I'm more interested to see if the team still plays hard with all this adversity. Wins aside, will the team respond to the latest round of adversity

This isn't year 3 of the Marrone era, if we are only 5 games into the season and you are already concerned about this team quitting then it's time to fess up that they simply didn't do enough to put Marrone in a situation to succeed.

Now, I want to be as optimistic as most here, but be realistic. The Bills will be playing the next 4-8 games with a starting QB that no team wanted as even their 3rd stringer. I agree that Spiller and Jackson should be a good ground game, but with no passing threat at all, defenses will take that run game away almost completely.

With the exception of Josh Freeman, insert any of the available QBs and think about whether defenses will have to remotely respect the passing game. Expect a steady dose of man-to-man on receivers with at least 1 safety in the box on nearly every down.

FWIW, I KNOW that Tebow can't pass to save his life, but if they can't get Freeman - I'd just as soon take a wild chance with someone who has found a way to win some NFL games than cast my lot with Pat White, Dennis Dixon, etc. At least Tebow might be able to eek out a win or two and maintain team morale with his leadership...

AGAIN, TO BE CLEAR, I know that Tim Tebow is NOT an NFL passer. For those as old as me, he is a modern-day Bobby Douglass... However, I think he might give the team a better chance to win a game or be competitive than any of the available FA QBs besides Josh Freeman.

well. That's your argument. Mine is that any NFL caliber QB can manage a game. That's why they are in the NFL in the first place.

Our defense is playing lights out and so is our running game.

Yiu say EJ will be out 4-8 weeks. I think he's out only 3 games considering today u til Thursday counts as week 1 of his injury and he has t missed any games yet.

IF.... Huge IF... Whoever is our QB can go .500 (not impossible considering the way the defense is playing and they get Gilmore and Byrd back this week) then we still have a shot.

Like someone else already posted, if your already giving up on the season after just 5 weeks.... Why bother? Guess well see you in April. Am I right?

That is all

this is a qb driven league couple that with a banged up secondary and the qbs we have to face equates to us maybe winning 2 more games tops. Until this team starts stringing wins together and proving everyone wrong people will continue down the doom and gloom path. Embrace 14 years straight of no play offs and 13 of the 14 bein losing seasons.

Pre-emptive anger and disappointment is an understandable reaction to an uncertain, flawed, and often disappointing world. It's just not much fun, or terribly useful.

Dare to dream, dare to hope, dare to believe, my friends. There is joy in risking your emotions, and a world to win.

That is all

I'm with you 100%

I'm actually already in full tanking mode. Will be rooting against the Bills the rest of the season so we can get a high draft pick to select our QB of the future.

Woooooo! Qb of the future !! Hahhh. Enjoy your 6th rounder we draft. Maybe he will be as great as Tuel !!

That is all

Effing THANK YOU!!!! Sick of the drama and bs about the season being over.... The entire division lost today, lets celebrate!!

I disagree... we've seen this same song before!!! Not buying into the silver lining here. We're in dire straits on offense, and the writing is on the wall. I'm not eating crow later because a winning record from here on is just not happening, plain and simple. Who exactly are we going to beat with a third string quarterback or a quarterback who couldn't even make a roster AS a third string? Come on man... be real.

Technical he's a second string QB... If you'd like to continue to discuss how bad you feel we are, why don't you join a Pats* or Dolphins fan page...

I guess if every NFL GM were as prescient as some of the all-knowing 'fans' on this board, there would have been 31 teams banging on Kurt Warner's door in the summer of 1999.

I'm not saying a Kurt Warner-type story is within any of the named FA quarterbacks out there, but I'll take my chances with talent and fate rather than the foolproof proclamations of the usual yahoos on this board who claim to be picking apples or hanging up laundry on Sundays to avoid having to watch the Bills. Those folks are the ones who have already given up on the season four times since September 8.

If you're not mature enough to make it through the peaks and valleys of an NFL season without jumping off a cliff at every sign of trouble, maybe you oughta join a book club or take up yoga instead. This is football, guys and gals.

If you went into this season with the mentality that it was playoffs or failure, then yes, you could be disappointed with this season. If you had a realistic outlook based on the progression of our rookies developing and our coaching staff getting the most out of a group of young talented players, then this season is nowhere near over. I personally was excited for this season because of all of the "Newness" in the franchise. As far as I am concerned, if game 16 rolls around and we have a healthy team and our rookies are better than they were for game 1 it was a successful season. Go Bills!!!

Our D with Byrd and Gilmore is in top 12 in the league. We have no QB yet.-Most important position in football by a mile and we have Tuel.

I guess if every NFL GM were as prescient as some of the all-knowing 'fans' on this board, there would have been 31 teams banging on Kurt Warner's door in the summer of 1999.

I'm not saying a Kurt Warner-type story is within any of the named FA quarterbacks out there, but I'll take my chances with talent and fate rather than the foolproof proclamations of the usual yahoos on this board who claim to be picking apples or hanging up laundry on Sundays to avoid having to watch the Bills. Those folks are the ones who have already given up on the season four times since September 8.

If you're not mature enough to make it through the peaks and valleys of an NFL season without jumping off a cliff at every sign of trouble, maybe you oughta join a book club or take up yoga instead. This is football, guys and gals.

coulda fooled me the past 13 yrs

Gotta say John I spoke with at least 5 die-hard Bills Fans Friday who said the minute EJ got hurt not only did they know the Bills would lose that game, they knew the season was basically over...It's not so much about the overall feeling folks have about the team, because most believe the Bills are better on Defense, and that we do have a decent team overall...But our QB situation is a complete cluster-you-know-what now...And that's reason enough for some Bills Fans to throw that white flag you spoke about... B-)

I'm in this camp. Dont know that we could beat Jacksonville right now, given Tuel's play.. Love the team but there's no back up QB.

Pre-emptive anger and disappointment is an understandable reaction to an uncertain, flawed, and often disappointing world. It's just not much fun, or terribly useful.

Dare to dream, dare to hope, dare to believe, my friends. There is joy in risking your emotions, and a world to win.

I know you think you are sh*tting sunshine and rainbows but you do realize you are talking about a product, right? This isn't your college team. The only affilitation you have with the team is the money you give them. There is no inherent connection.

A handful of wealthy guys got together and said we are going to start a professional football league and play games in your city and in exchange for your cash you can come watch us compete tooth and nail to beat each other. That is the basis for getting people to root for a professional football team. Naturally, when the owners end of the bargain isn't held up, the customers should voice their displeasure. Anything less is perverse. I mean if Budweiser was the only producer of beer allowed in the US and the version they made for Buffalo was lower qualtiy than everywhere else would you have the same attitude?

I support the Bills because I am optimistic that things can change......but it won't change until they make significant changes in how they do business and run football operations. Those that want that change should be vocal about it.

13 years of empty promises doesn't exactly leave a lot in the optimism tank, so yeah.... what's not to get? This team needs to score points in order to win, and Jeff Tuel really needs to be more than just a space filler. It's incredible how bad this team looks without a quality QB.

On the bright side though.... looks like EJ is winning over many of us, and when healthy, might very well be the franchise QB we've all been waiting for. Too bad this season is on the brink.

0-2 in the division, 1-3 in conference will not get it done.. with a near certain loss to the Bengals upcoming the only path to the playoffs will be to win the division...yes the season is over.

I love it!!! A near certain loss... Cleveland beat Cincy handily.... We were neck n neck with Cleveland.... I am optimistic, even with the current QB state!!