I dont get bills fans sometimes.....2-3 and the season is over in a 16

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree... we've seen this same song before!!! Not buying into the silver lining here. We're in dire straits on offense, and the writing is on the wall. I'm not eating crow later because a winning record from here on is just not happening, plain and simple. Who exactly are we going to beat with a third string quarterback or a quarterback who couldn't even make a roster AS a third string? Come on man... be real.

I'm with you John.

Although my hopes aren't through the roof, but with a solid ground game and an even stronger defense with the return of Gilmore, Brooks, and Byrd (if he doesn't get traded, or finally stops being a baby) then we could have a sickly defense. The whole league should watch out for this group on the defensive side.

On the EJ note, I firmly believe it will be the short end of the 5-8 weeks. This week is one of them, so that's really only 4 games. Not as bad as it sounds. Plus we have a bye week in there somewhere.

It shouldn't be all doom and gloom but so many here have losing engrained into their "Bills Blue" DNA.

Edited by mrags

Gotta say John I spoke with at least 5 die-hard Bills Fans Friday who said the minute EJ got hurt not only did they know the Bills would lose that game, they knew the season was basically over...It's not so much about the overall feeling folks have about the team, because most believe the Bills are better on Defense, and that we do have a decent team overall...But our QB situation is a complete cluster-you-know-what now...And that's reason enough for some Bills Fans to throw that white flag you spoke about... B-)

We would have been lucky to win 7 games with EJ. Without him we will be lucky to win 5. It's not pecimism it's common sense. This is a rebuilding year. Our goal should be to get better each week and if we accomplish that then we are doing well

Edited by kdiggz

All we hve to do I win some games that people expect us to lose (you know....like the Ravens game) and we are right back in it

- Even with the loss of EJ for 3-4 weeks the team is getting healthier.....our D should be very stout

No way im throwing up the white flag 5 games into the season

That is all

There were only 2 potentially positive outcomes for this season:

Break the losing culture by having a winning record

and/or

having the QB of the future emerge and play well

The first objective is still attainable but not with some guy who can't make another NFL teams roster taking over at mid-season as the starter.

Aside from maybe picking up Freeman.......who has maybe a 20% chance of ever recovering his franchise QB status.......the Bills are looking like an offensive disaster waiting to happen.

Too bad, because they have some defenders having really good individual seasons and getting the secondary healthy would make them tough if they had a good supporting offense.

If Tuel, Dixon, or White are the QB until EJ is healthy this season is over. If Freeman is signed there is still hope. QB is the most important position in football by a mile and starting any of the three bums that I mentioned are the QB it is going to be awful to watch.

This season is a development year. The main guy under development is out probably until after the bye when they have three out of four on the road to finish the season.

We're playing a superbowl contender next week, followed by two road games against teams who are clearly better. Then host the currently undefeated Chiefs.

Things look so great!

If Tuel, Dixon, or White are the QB until EJ is healthy this season is over. If Freeman is signed there is still hope. QB is the most important position in football by a mile and starting any of the three bums that I mentioned are the QB it is going to be awful to watch.

Unfortunately true. And getting a less than complete look at EJ Manuel was the worst case scenario, IMO. With what we have seen so far it is a huge leap of faith to say EJ is a potential franchise QB. He has had moments just like JP, Edwards, Fitz and Rob Johnson........but his play to this point has been covered up by conservative coaching and an opportunistic defense. Freeman would provide some hope but considering how they handled the backup QB situation during the offseason.......shunning good backups for a UDFA and the horrendous Kevin Kolb.....it is hard to see them bringing in a talented young QB who might challenge EJ.

I'm with you John.

Although my hopes aren't through the roof, but with a solid ground game and an even stronger defense with the return of Gilmore, Brooks, and Byrd (if he doesn't get traded, or finally stops being a baby) then we could have a sickly defense. The whole league should watch out for this group on the defensive side.

On the EJ note, I firmly believe it will be the short end of the 5-8 weeks. This week is one of them, so that's really only 4 games. Not as bad as it sounds. Plus we have a bye week in there somewhere.

It shouldn't be all doom and gloom but so many here have losing engrained into their "Bills Blue" DNA.

I can't imagine why this would be...

I can understand why people will dump the season with EJ out. He missed a good portion of preseason and now will miss a quarter of regular season. EJ needs to be in and be given a chance to play the game the way he knows how. With the way the first few games have been the play calls have been "varied". Some have made him shine and others have made him look awful. That's the nature of the game. Plenty of other QB's were held back and looked like garbage their first season but he does have the all the assets to be a very good if not great QB.

The defense, I'm not worried about until Pettine leaves. We pretty much have the same group of guys (plus Kiko) and they look like a defense that most teams will never take for granted.

I'm not concerned with the remainder of the season with EJ out because we can win or lose with or without him. I just want to see progression from the status quo.

All we hve to do I win some games that people expect us to lose (you know....like the Ravens game) and we are right back in it

- Even with the loss of EJ for 3-4 weeks the team is getting healthier.....our D should be very stout

That is all

The gloom is from the EJ injury (we have NO viable backup), and years of suckitude. But you are right, this can change quickly. If EJ isn't hurt and we still lose at CLE, we lick our wounds and have a chance for 3-3 at home next week. With EJ hurt and Tuel starting we will be lucky to find the ned zone, let alone win a game. Now if Josh Freeman chooses Buffalo everything changes again. The chance that our QB of the present and future is on this roster increases greatly. If it's Tuel and some other mediocrity, the season is effectively done until EJ comes back and the evaluation continues. It's a really fluid situation right now and the next 24 hours or so is fairly huge for the future of this organization.

well i guess it's time to nut up or shut up. we'll see what kind of ball players are on this team over the next few weeks. i'm betting we have a few that are not going to just concede the remainder of the schedule because the starting rookie qb is going to be out for a few weeks.

I'm with you John.

Now, I want to be as optimistic as most here, but be realistic. The Bills will be playing the next 4-8 games with a starting QB that no team wanted as even their 3rd stringer. I agree that Spiller and Jackson should be a good ground game, but with no passing threat at all, defenses will take that run game away almost completely.

With the exception of Josh Freeman, insert any of the available QBs and think about whether defenses will have to remotely respect the passing game. Expect a steady dose of man-to-man on receivers with at least 1 safety in the box on nearly every down.

FWIW, I KNOW that Tebow can't pass to save his life, but if they can't get Freeman - I'd just as soon take a wild chance with someone who has found a way to win some NFL games than cast my lot with Pat White, Dennis Dixon, etc. At least Tebow might be able to eek out a win or two and maintain team morale with his leadership...

AGAIN, TO BE CLEAR, I know that Tim Tebow is NOT an NFL passer. For those as old as me, he is a modern-day Bobby Douglass... However, I think he might give the team a better chance to win a game or be competitive than any of the available FA QBs besides Josh Freeman.

That is all

People want their instant gratification...

I'm with you though, this season is FAR from over. If we can get a QB to just manage the next few games, who knows where we'll be. It's not like EJ was playing at a Payton Manning level - find someone to play within the system and with our D (getting stronger with Gilmore, Brooks, Byrd [?], Leodis) and CJ / FJ we'll be OK until EJ gets back!