How to slow Bills running back C.J. Spiller: 'Hit him in the mouth

“I’m familiar with Spiller,” Allen said. “He’s still talented to this day. He’s still the same guy to me (as he was in high school). I think you’ve just got to hit him in the mouth. Nobody likes to get hit in the mouth. Be aggressive with him, be physical and that should take care of it. You’ve just got to hit him in the mouth. Since high school, he’s been that type of guy. If you hit him in the mouth, he’s always looking for you once you lay that wood on him one time. He’ll be looking for you next time.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/09/jets_safety_antonio_allen_on_how_to_slow_bills_running_back_cj_spiller_hit_him_in_the_mouth.html

If the Jersey Jets show up and do anything less then trying to put our lights out I will be surprised. This is a team that plays with their back in the corner a lot and they thrive doing it. They will come at us fully charged and trying to lay a lick in. Our OL is going to be tested, Spiller is going to be knocked around, and Jackson is going to be hit all over - high and low. Lets hope the Zebras keep it clean.

If the Jersey Jets show up and do anything less then trying to put our lights out I will be surprised. This is a team that plays with their back in the corner a lot and they thrive doing it. They will come at us fully charged and trying to lay a lick in. Our OL is going to be tested, Spiller is going to be knocked around, and Jackson is going to be hit all over - high and low. Lets hope the Zebras keep it clean.

I expect the Bills to give it back to them this time, not back down. That is the difference.

Fear not. I'm a Federal Agent.

On the one hand you have to hit him in the mouth. On the other you have to be sure to tackle him. Let's see...smack him under the chin while you're tackling him with the other arm? I can't imagine Spiller has gotten through Clemson and his years with the bills without getting smacked around quite a bit. Sounds like this Jet might be overthinking the game. If I were his coach I'd be telling him to forget about smacking him in the mouth and concentrate on getting him on the ground before he gets up a head of steam.

On the one hand you have to hit him in the mouth. On the other you have to be sure to tackle him. Let's see...smack him under the chin while you're tackling him with the other arm? I can't imagine Spiller has gotten through Clemson and his years with the bills without getting smacked around quite a bit. Sounds like this Jet might be overthinking the game. If I were his coach I'd be telling him to forget about smacking him in the mouth and concentrate on getting him on the ground before he gets up a head of steam.

Yep, but his coach is Rex Ryan. So, he won't.

I'm sure CJ is trembling in his spikes as I type this.

Free hits on EJ? Allen better hope EJ doesn't run him over. Size differential and physics can be a painful combination.

Seriously, is there a player in that locker room that will pull this kid aside and tell him to can it? Or are they convinced they're gonna get in EJ's head? Sometimes the Jest are a shed full of dull tools.

GO BILLS!!!

You have to admit that in past years the Bills were not known to be a physical team. This game will say a lot about whether or not they are. The Bills did play tough against Carolina.

Agreed. The jets have been tougher than the Bills for Rex's whole tenure

They blew us out from the first snap. I could care less.

Technically they didn't. Bryan Scott picked off Sanchez on one of the first plays from scrimmage. Then it was all downhill.

I guess my question would be; who in the hell is Antonio Allen? And how did he get to be the new official big mouth moron on the Jest?

Ok, that was two questions.

Technically they didn't. Bryan Scott picked off Sanchez on one of the first plays from scrimmage. Then it was all downhill.

I guess my question would be; who in the hell is Antonio Allen? And how did he get to be the new official big mouth moron on the Jest?

The offense scored 28 pts. The defense lost that game, it was a Wanny special. And I have never heard of Antonio Allen either.

Who's Antonio Allen? Who's Antonio Allen? Are you kidding me? We are talking about the 242nd pick in the 2012 draft here. Are you friggin' kidding me? Who's Antonio Allen?

GO BILLS!!!

Who's Antonio Allen? Who's Antonio Allen? Are you kidding me? We are talking about the 242nd pick in the 2012 draft here. Are you friggin' kidding me? Who's Antonio Allen?

GO BILLS!!!

Oh, THAT Antonio Allen. I remember seeing him in the Pro Bowl! He is a defensive monster! Wait.. that was JARED Allen.

Interestingly, he says this about Stevie:

"The way he gets off the line, he just has nice, subtle quickness," said the Jets safety Antonio Allen. "You’ve just got to keep your eyes on him at all times. He’s real slippery."

One reason that Johnson is difficult to track is that the Bills line him up on both sides of the field wide and in the slot. This season, Johnson has caught 11 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winner last Sunday with two seconds remaining against the Carolina Panthers.

"He knows how to get back underneath a defensive back," the Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie said. "That’s what he does best, trying to get off the jam. I think he does it better than any other receiver that’s probably in the NFL. I think the biggest thing is just making sure to try to get your hands on him as quick as possible and just go from there."

BTW... is he the only Jet available for interviews this week or something?

More chatter this week from the Jets than I can recall in the past few years. They must be pretty nervous about this game.

This

The Jets defense looks very good so far. They're very well coached. I'm not sure why people have a problem with what the Jets players are saying. At least they're being honest.

Yes, they have been good. As far as their yipping, they like attention, just like their coach.

I could be wrong.....but......"hitting him in the mouth" was a figure of speech. Like "laying a lick" on someone etc.

Seems like people think that Allen literally meant "hitting him in the mouth"......which makes very little sense.

I could be wrong.....but......"hitting him in the mouth" was a figure of speech. Like "laying a lick" on someone etc.

Seems like people think that Allen literally meant "hitting him in the mouth"......which makes very little sense.

That's what I thought.

I think there's a lot of posters trying to manufacture some bulletin board material. Thing is, I don't think this team needs any if it really even existed. The offense wants to do well for EJ, EJ wants to do well for EJ, and the defense wants to do well for Pettine and make Geno look bad for EJ. All bases covered.

The difference between last year and this year.......

- Last year despite FItz common trend of throwing bad picks....the offense was game and tried to make a game of it

- The defense rolled over like my dog Samson when he wants a doggie treat

This years team just has a different personality to it......we start OFF by playing strong defense

Its going to be a different type of game....I have laid off this year of making any kind of predictions.....but its just not going to be the same old soft bills

i think your taking it a bit too literal. hitting spiller hard is likely a good way to gameplan for a guy like him. obviously you want to hit anyone but he hasnt struck me as a guy that thrives on contact like some backs can. pats got in his head early with the fumble week one. i LOVE his play, so dont take this as anything huge, but i could see the possibility that spiller could get rattled. kind of like chans comments on him getting too excited he might be a guy where the highs are too high and the lows too low and keeping an even keel could be something he focuses on to take another step forward.

yea, thats 100% what he meant. im surprised anyone took it literal.

Edited by NoSaint

Oh, THAT Antonio Allen. I remember seeing him in the Pro Bowl! He is a defensive monster! Wait.. that was JARED Allen.

Interestingly, he says this about Stevie:

"The way he gets off the line, he just has nice, subtle quickness," said the Jets safety Antonio Allen. "You’ve just got to keep your eyes on him at all times. He’s real slippery."

One reason that Johnson is difficult to track is that the Bills line him up on both sides of the field wide and in the slot. This season, Johnson has caught 11 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winner last Sunday with two seconds remaining against the Carolina Panthers.

"He knows how to get back underneath a defensive back," the Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie said. "That’s what he does best, trying to get off the jam. I think he does it better than any other receiver that’s probably in the NFL. I think the biggest thing is just making sure to try to get your hands on him as quick as possible and just go from there."

BTW... is he the only Jet available for interviews this week or something?

that really matches everything we know about stevie - hes not an overwhelming guy physically - wont overpower you, wont out jump you, wont run past you, but somehow he gets his separation at the line better than just about anyone.

Marrone can kick Ryan's ass

So....who's gonna hit Ivory in the mouth because someone has to. That guy runs harder than any back the Bills have faced so far so someone will have to hit him on the mouth to slow his roll too!

ivory is a violent runner, thats for sure. he and kiko or aaron williams hitting each other in the open field should be a sight to see.

you volunteer at your local ag department because they give you all the free **** you want <_<

My local ag department doesn't offer anything free. In fact, I'm in trouble because I went to pick up the seed drill after hours and returned it two hours and 1 acre later. I told them I was going to get it...they never did tell me no.