Bills D vs. Geno should be fun

billsintaiwan

It seemed that the Panthers only watched film of the 2012 Bills defense. They were completely surprised that the Bills would blitz. I put that on Rivera, who is a crappy Head Coach. Newton blows up his rookie year then they change the offense and he can't do squadoosh. Hint - Go back to the offense that was killing the NFL before Rivera was on board. And the Panthers lost in a way I thought only the Bills can lose. A PI call on a game icing INT. That is right out of Chan Gailey's 4th QTR playbook.

Anyhow I don't think Rexxy is as bad a coach as Rivera. I expect Geno to be very prepared for Rex RyanPettine's defense. I expect Keller I mean Soldier Grapefruitnuts to have a bananas game. We still can't cover TEs and Leonard is all over the ball but it doesn't look like he can bring anyone down any more.

I still think the Bills win but its gonna be close. If Mario gets 2+ sacks again the Bills win.

Talk about a downgrade with the Panthers -John Fox to Ron Rivera?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Count me in as one who thinks the Bills defense has improved... but

I think one thing to keep in mind in regards to the Panthers and Patriots and our defense, is that we played lesser versions of both offenses. The Patriots, obviously, were missing many weapons from years past. The Panthers have hamstrung Cam Newton and company with their "new" conservative offense.

Though, on the other side, we are missing Gilmore and Byrd.

Basically what I'm saying is... I'm not going to get too "up" on our defense against the Pats and Panthers, because both teams are shells of what they used to be. The Jets, though, aren't exactly offensive juggernauts. When do we next play a team that is considered offensively great?

I think one thing to keep in mind in regards to the Panthers and Patriots and our defense, is that we played lesser versions of both offenses. The Patriots, obviously, were missing many weapons from years past. The Panthers have hamstrung Cam Newton and company with their "new" conservative offense.

Basically what I'm saying is... I'm not going to get too "up" on our defense against the Pats and Panthers, because both teams are shells of what they used to be. The Jets, though, aren't exactly offensive juggernauts. When do we next play a team that is considered offensively great?

Yours is an overly skeptical viewpoint, in my opinion. The Pats* had Amendola and Vereen against us -- not so in their game against NY. Aside from not having Stewart the Panthers were at full strength.

The Jets have the worst skill position players in the league. Their offense is ranked 25th in yards, tied for 28th in yards per play, and 29th in points.

The Bills' defense is tied for 5th in yards allowed per play; total yardage is skewed by TOP differential (but still a respectable 18th).

The statistics would appear to significantly favor the ability of Buffalo's D to completely stifle the Jets' O.

Yours is an overly skeptical viewpoint, in my opinion. The Pats* had Amendola and Vereen against us -- not so in their game against NY. Aside from not having Stewart the Panthers were at full strength.

The Jets have the worst skill position players in the league. Their offense is ranked 25th in yards, tied for 28th in yards per play, and 29th in points.

The Bills' defense is tied for 5th in yards allowed per play; total yardage is skewed by TOP differential (but still a respectable 18th).

The statistics would appear to significantly favor the ability of Buffalo's D to completely stifle the Jets' O.

I agree that we look good going against the Jets O. Not questioning that. I'm just keeping myself a bit reserved in response to the NE and CAR games, due to circumstances of each game. Whether that's over skeptical or not, is not for me to decide. :)

The Bills D has played quite well against two elite qbs. Or, at the very least, one elite qb and one very good qb. I reckon we'll see some fireworks this Sunday.

The only thing that might save Geno is that he practices against the jets d, but I expect Pettine will have something new.

The jets aren't great, but it would still be a huge win for this young team.

I expect a great showing from the Bills D. I expect them to be extra fired up for this Game!

Bills on Offense:

- Jets have a good D allowing only 241 yds/game. Their pass and run D both appear to be good.

- They will take out the short to med routes and challenge EJ to go deep. Early part of the game will be critical - EJ has to take deep shots. If EJ wants to be respected for the deep ball, this would be a great game to start. This will ease the pressure and allow more runs and checkdowns

- Cromartie is good and Milliner looks slow out of the gate. Stevie should be able to get the better of Cromartie.

- IN additiion to deep ball, sideline routes should be ripe pickings also. This is a good gut check time for EJ with both these routes

- I think Hackett and EJ are picking Pettine's brain about how Ryan is likely to think on defense

Bills on D:

- Jets have given up 9 sacks and I don't expect that rate to change much. We should be able to get to Geno due to his reported happy feet. As with most raw QBs, hitting him early will pay dividends

- You can bet Pettine is fired up and will dial up exotic pressure packages

- Their run O seems non existent and almost RB by committee

All in all, we need to dominate in the first quarter and if EJ plays mistake-free football, we should coast in this game with a score that looks like 30-17

Don't forget about Robert Woods. I expect him and SJ to be open quite a bit against the Jets secondary.

Bills on Offense:

- Jets have a good D allowing only 241 yds/game. Their pass and run D both appear to be good.

- They will take out the short to med routes and challenge EJ to go deep. Early part of the game will be critical - EJ has to take deep shots. If EJ wants to be respected for the deep ball, this would be a great game to start. This will ease the pressure and allow more runs and checkdowns

- Cromartie is good and Milliner looks slow out of the gate. Stevie should be able to get the better of Cromartie.

- IN additiion to deep ball, sideline routes should be ripe pickings also. This is a good gut check time for EJ with both these routes

- I think Hackett and EJ are picking Pettine's brain about how Ryan is likely to think on defense

Bills on D:

- Jets have given up 9 sacks and I don't expect that rate to change much. We should be able to get to Geno due to his reported happy feet. As with most raw QBs, hitting him early will pay dividends

All in all, we need to dominate in the first quarter and if EJ plays mistake-free football, we should coast in this game with a score that looks like 30-17

Again, two games in, after playing the anemic Bucs and the neutred Pats* (in a monsoon) their defensive stats mean precisely squat.

Hamstrung? Conservative? Did you miss the seven or so bombs they unsuccessfully chucked down field? The reason we got to him was because their playcalls on offense were too aggressive.

Shells of what they used to be? Who cares? Did the Pats* have Amendola tearing it up against us? Yes. Do they still have Brady? Yes. Did they have both Vareen and Ridley to play off one another? Yes. Who cares what they used to be, they were still decent on offense when they came to Buffalo.

Same goes for Carolina: first overall pick Cam Newton, check. Steve Smith, check. Greg Olsen, check. Their backfield healthy, check. Ted Ginn, check.

EBall called you out for being pessimistic. Sometimes I think you make it a point to be negative, and in doing so fail to make any point, whatsoever, particularly one that's grounded in reality.

I couldn't watch either, it was so bad.

I reveled in it. I couldn't have scripted a better Jets - Pats game. Both teams were incompetent. Brady melted down on the sidelines, while Geno melted under the pressure. Perfect.

Good point about the Jets D. They were helped all night long by the Pats dropsies. Edelman was the only guy who could hold on to the ball. Without Amendola and Vereen that offense was grounded. Belichek doesn't trust Ridley to hold on to ball.

The Jets offense put together a few ok drives, and they had drop problems of their own. Geno looked alternatively deer in the headlights or competent. He holds the ball forever and will give pass rushers ample time to get to him. I estimate that Bills will intercept Geno between 8 and 15 times on Sunday.

Again, two games in, after playing the anemic Bucs and the neutred Pats* (in a monsoon) their defensive stats mean precisely squat.

Hamstrung? Conservative? Did you miss the seven or so bombs they unsuccessfully chucked down field? The reason we got to him was because their playcalls on offense were too aggressive.

Shells of what they used to be? Who cares? Did the Pats* have Amendola tearing it up against us? Yes. Do they still have Brady? Yes. Did they have both Vareen and Ridley to play off one another? Yes. Who cares what they used to be, they were still decent on offense when they came to Buffalo.

Same goes for Carolina: first overall pick Cam Newton, check. Steve Smith, check. Greg Olsen, check. Their backfield healthy, check. Ted Ginn, check.

EBall called you out for being pessimistic. Sometimes I think you make it a point to be negative, and in doing so fail to make any point, whatsoever, particularly one that's grounded in reality.

Cam had a pretty bad game, but it's also obvious that the Panthers offense isn't as dynamic as it once was. Can't one give praise to the Defense while also acknowledging that we have played different versions of teams that were successful recently? Apparently that qualifies as overly pessimistic. My apologies for making note of these things. My apologies for wasting your time with my lack of points.

We are two weeks into the season, and I'm not willing to make too many hard statements on anything. The defense looks improved. It's certainly more aggressive and active. We have some better players, as well. And I'll leave out the "but..." from now on.

It's funny that when I try to be objective, I'm called out as pessimistic. If I praise the team, no one responds to me at all. But I guess it is to be expected at a fan forum.

I think we match up very favorably against the Jets.

My only real concern is that Geno will be more likely to run with the ball than Cam (and obviously Brady). The Panthers specifically are calling for Cam to be more of a pocket passer this season, no real option run plays, and they've discouraged him from scrambling too much. This was to the benefit of the Bills last game, who took advantage and put some great pressure on him.

The Jets, however, won't be encouraging Geno to stick it out in the pocket, I suspect. As long as we have someone spying on Geno outside of our rush, I suspect we'll be just fine.

Edited by Dorkington

Cam had a pretty bad game, but it's also obvious that the Panthers offense isn't as dynamic as it once was. Can't one give praise to the Defense while also acknowledging that we have played different versions of teams that were successful recently? Apparently that qualifies as overly pessimistic. My apologies for making note of these things. My apologies for wasting your time with my lack of points.

We are two weeks into the season, and I'm not willing to make too many hard statements on anything. The defense looks improved. It's certainly more aggressive and active. We have some better players, as well. And I'll leave out the "but..." from now on.

It's funny that when I try to be objective, I'm called out as pessimistic. If I praise the team, no one responds to me at all. But I guess it is to be expected at a fan forum.

I think we match up very favorably against the Jets.

My only real concern is that Geno will be more likely to run with the ball than Cam (and obviously Brady). The Panthers specifically are calling for Cam to be more of a pocket passer this season, no real option run plays, and they've discouraged him from scrambling too much. This was to the benefit of the Bills last game, who took advantage and put some great pressure on him.

The Jets, however, won't be encouraging Geno to stick it out in the pocket, I suspect. As long as we have someone spying on Geno outside of our rush, I suspect we'll be just fine.

Did you ever stop and wonder that may be Cam had a bad game because the defense played well?

"We are two weeks into the season, and I'm not willing to make too many hard statements on anything. The defense looks improved. It's certainly more aggressive and active. We have some better players, as well. And I'll leave out the "but..." from now on."

"My only real concern is that Geno will be more likely to run with the ball than Cam (and obviously Brady). The Panthers specifically are calling for Cam to be more of a pocket passer this season, no real option run plays, and they've discouraged him from scrambling too much. This was to the benefit of the Bills last game, who took advantage and put some great pressure on him. "

Yes?

Edited by Dorkington

I think the real rookie vs. rookie matchup here is Kiko v. Geno. 2nd rounder v. 2nd rounder..... my $ is on Kiko.

I reveled in it. I couldn't have scripted a better Jets - Pats game. Both teams were incompetent. Brady melted down on the sidelines, while Geno melted under the pressure. Perfect.

Good point about the Jets D. They were helped all night long by the Pats dropsies. Edelman was the only guy who could hold on to the ball. Without Amendola and Vereen that offense was grounded. Belichek doesn't trust Ridley to hold on to ball.

The Jets offense put together a few ok drives, and they had drop problems of their own. Geno looked alternatively deer in the headlights or competent. He holds the ball forever and will give pass rushers ample time to get to him. I estimate that Bills will intercept Geno between 8 and 15 times on Sunday.

Pure entertainment

I think the real rookie vs. rookie matchup here is Kiko v. Geno. 2nd rounder v. 2nd rounder..... my $ is on Kiko.

Pure entertainment

Kiko has been spectacular this season. He's been fun to watch. Will be great to see how he grows, considering he's already starting off so well.

Kiko has been spectacular this season. He's been fun to watch. Will be great to see how he grows, considering he's already starting off so well.

I do know someone in the FO of another NFL team... I asked him about Kiko (this was back in May) and he said that they liked him but really didn't know how to use him, he was a weird player position-wise depending on the defensive scheme and that is why he didn't go higher. I think this was a pick Pettine wanted for his specific scheme and he is utilzing him beautifully to make him and the scheme successful.

I do know someone in the FO of another NFL team... I asked him about Kiko (this was back in May) and he said that they liked him but really didn't know how to use him, he was a weird player position-wise depending on the defensive scheme and that is why he didn't go higher. I think this was a pick Pettine wanted for his specific scheme and he is utilzing him beautifully to make him and the scheme successful.

I guess he's not a Takeo Spikes sized Mike run stopper, but the guy is pretty darn good at stuffing the run (as a rookie), excellent in coverage, great motor, excellent sideline to sideline, can blitz, and seems like an overall great team player so far. Seems to me that if other front offices didn't think they could use a player like this in their scheme, they need to reevaluate their scheme or their front office.

There were the character concerns. Was it just a DUI? If that's what made teams pass on him that just seems dumb. So common not just in the NFL but everywhere. Who doesn't know a dozen great people who have them. People make mistakes, especially in college.

That's a little low don't you think?

Bills on Offense:

Bills on D:

I don't know if the above text in Red is necessarily true. We have some very fast receivers. It's not easy to take the short game away when your receivers are that fast. That said, they can start bringing in the safeties for tighter coverage, but then like you are saying Fan in Chicago, your risking the deep ball, but deep doesn't have to be 40 or more yards down field either when your safeties play up tight. Deep can be 15 yards down field. If the receivers get behind the corners with the safeties playing up tight there's no one down field to help the corners out. The offensive line has been playing well so it's not inconceivable that EJ would have time for the deeper throws. JMHO

BigPappy

True but the Jets' O goes against a D in practice that is very much like the Bills'. I'm not so sure Geno will be so surprised and rattled as most think.

The X-factor here is how Manuel does in his first NFL road game. Winning on the road with a young team is hard as hell, even against bad teams. Unlike some posters I don't want Manuel to push the ball down field, I want him to play it safe and avoid the big turnover. If he does the Bills win.

I really do like Pettine and his knowledge of the jets personnel to help out a lot here. Pettine will be able to help out Hackett and Marrone with the O game plan. Pettine also knows the Jets O pretty good. Pettine will be bale to pick Marrone and Hacketts brain about Geno.

I also agree with SJBF- Bills can win the next 3 games. Ravens are ripe for the picking. Cleveland on a Thursday night game should be fun too! This team could be 4-1(only loss being a last second FG by the pats).

I feel like he's going to scramble a lot, compared to Cam, so we need to be careful to not be *too* aggressive, or at least keep a zone/spy around the pocket.

Yup, that is a primary fear of mine. Though Geno isn't a running QB, he can easily rip off a 30yd run if he has a lane. Unlike some, I'm not liking this game at all. I hope I'm wrong, but we play like crap against Rex Ryan's Jets every damn season. Hopefully this year is when things change.

I really do like Pettine and his knowledge of the jets personnel to help out a lot here. Pettine will be able to help out Hackett and Marrone with the O game plan. Pettine also knows the Jets O pretty good. Pettine will be bale to pick Marrone and Hacketts brain about Geno.

I also agree with SJBF- Bills can win the next 3 games. Ravens are ripe for the picking. Cleveland on a Thursday night game should be fun too! This team could be 4-1(only loss being a last second FG by the pats).

It works both ways. The jets are familiar with Pettine too; the advantage isn't strictly ours.

he literally destroyed Geno during Independance Bowl at Yankee Stadium last year ....

To be accurate: He didn't destroy Geno in any way. He destroyed WV's defense. Geno had a good game. Syracuse ran the ball to the tune of something like 400yds..

Edited by bobobonators

The Bills D has played quite well against two elite qbs. Or, at the very least, one elite qb and one very good qb. I reckon we'll see some fireworks this Sunday.

The only thing that might save Geno is that he practices against the jets d, but I expect Pettine will have something new.

The jets aren't great, but it would still be a huge win for this young team.

Lets see if Mario can get some more sacks this week and I would even settle for just 2 ...lol

Can't wait to see what Petine does vs Geno., I think he brings the house this week.

If E.J, C.J., Freddy, Stevie and Woods do they parts and have 0 turnovers I have no doubt we will win. There I said it and I'm sticking to it.

Doesn't matter who's familiar with whom. It all comes down to the players, the matchups, and who executes better. Neither Rex or Pettine is gonna fool the other guy with something they've never seen. I trust both coaches to put their players in the best position to be successful.

GO BILLS!!!

We would be catching the Ravens wih Ray Rice not 100 percent. Cleveland ...we beat them last year, and will this year Id be very happy with 3-2 tho

Yup, that is a primary fear of mine. Though Geno isn't a running QB, he can easily rip off a 30yd run if he has a lane. Unlike some, I'm not liking this game at all. I hope I'm wrong, but we play like crap against Rex Ryan's Jets every damn season. Hopefully this year is when things change.

It works both ways. The jets are familiar with Pettine too; the advantage isn't strictly ours.

To be accurate: He didn't destroy Geno in any way. He destroyed WV's defense. Geno had a good game. Syracuse ran the ball to the tune of something like 400yds..

Sceme yes. But intimate knowledge of personnel is solely on Pettine. Pettine coached the D, he knows most of those players strengths and weakness'. He also saw firsthand the offenses strengths and weakness. Ie maybe an O linemen struggles more in pass protection then run blocking...

Could i be reaching? Sure. But i also think there is something to pettine wanting to beat Rex and the Jets. he will do all he can.

nah, his stats looked decent, but he looked really bad that day. I don't think that WVU converted a single 3rd/4th down all game long, and I know that Smith had at least 1 turnover. In 2011, Smith had another statistically acceptable game, but SU smashed the heavily-favored 'Neers. The year before that, Smith stats sucked, and SU won (again, against the favored and ranked WVU squad). That's the thing about Smith, you look at his stat line, and you're impressed. When I watched him play, most times, I was thoroughly unimpressed. More style than substance, IMO.

nah, his stats looked decent, but he looked really bad that day. I don't think that WVU converted a single 3rd/4th down all game long, and I know that Smith had at least 1 turnover. In 2011, Smith had another statistically acceptable game, but SU smashed the heavily-favored 'Neers. The year before that, Smith stats sucked, and SU won (again, against the favored and ranked WVU squad). That's the thing about Smith, you look at his stat line, and you're impressed. When I watched him play, most times, I was thoroughly unimpressed. More style than substance, IMO.

I understand that the stat line doesn't represent the entire truth. However, the only stat line that matters from that game is the nearly 400 YDS RUSHING obtained by Syracuse vs. WV. Geno having 2TD and 0 INT and 200+yds was certainly average for his standards in college. I'm sure Geno will have an axe to grind for B-lo and Marrone passing him up. Can't wait for this matchup - I want to hear Jets fans cry for a week on WFAN.

Edited by bobobonators

Doesn't matter who's familiar with whom. It all comes down to the players, the matchups, and who executes better. Neither Rex or Pettine is gonna fool the other guy with something they've never seen. I trust both coaches to put their players in the best position to be successful.

GO BILLS!!!

I think we're going to see the same thing from Rex's jets that we see every year. (Week 17 last year doesn't count, draft sandbagging).

They will be dirty, physical, run first,smash mouth, sh** talking. They will try to get us to take bad penalties. They know geno can't win the game throwing 30 times.

Bills need to buckle em up, stay disciplined and stop the run. Rex is a total douche but a proven motivator.

I saw the Thursday night game and Geno Smith leaves a lot to be desired. He holds on the ball a lot and doesn't seem to have a good command of the offense. He doesn't have good escapability and is prone to taking sacks. He has a good arm, and can make some good throws, but he looks nowhere near as confident and poised as Manuel. If all goes well, Pettine's D should be able to knock him out of the game.

I agree, but as an addendum to your point, the reason Geno was able to hold onto the ball a long time was their O-line seemed pretty stout. Of course, the Patriots pass rush is no great shakes, but I thought their O-line did a really nice job of protecting Geno.

I agree, but as an addendum to your point, the reason Geno was able to hold onto the ball a long time was their O-line seemed pretty stout. Of course, the Patriots pass rush is no great shakes, but I thought their O-line did a really nice job of protecting Geno.

Jets O-line is really good. Esp Brick and Mangold. Will be a great test for our D-line. Maybe one of them will hit our DB out of bounds on an INT return and give us 15 yards and then start a fight and get ejected. That was brilliant on TNF. Love Rex Ryan coached teams. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I recently checked and think we are ranked #18 in overall defense.

Not too shabby

CBF

15 according to Pro-football-reference

15 yards

18 points

32 in plays (thanks, Pats*)

5 in yards per play (Jets are 2, but again, factor in the Monsoon debacle)

4 in Net Yards per pass attempt

Can't take anything for a given, especially on the road vs a division rival... Going to be tough and the Jets are probably feeling they should win this game vs the lowly Bills.

-Absolutely can't lose the turnover battle, if we do it will be a struggle...

-While I think Geno is garbage, he is an athlete and can make some athletic big plays... need to force him into big mistakes instead.

-EJ needs to out perform Geno

-Shut down their run game and force Geno to become a pocket passer