Bills D vs. Geno should be fun

billsintaiwan

The Bills D has played quite well against two elite qbs. Or, at the very least, one elite qb and one very good qb. I reckon we'll see some fireworks this Sunday.

The only thing that might save Geno is that he practices against the jets d, but I expect Pettine will have something new.

The jets aren't great, but it would still be a huge win for this young team.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like it must have to Carolina fans coming in to the Bills game, this looks like a W on our schedule before the game starts. Geno isn't playing inspired football, but they've managed to split their first two games in spite of it. New York allowed 250 total yards to Tampa Bay and then held New England to just 232 total yards. The good news is that the Jets are averaging only 311 total yards through two games, are -4 on turnover ratio, and are penalty happy too. The Bills hung 436 yards on the Panthers Sunday.

The Bills are a 2.5 point road underdog. Carolina gets the Giants this week, we get Baltimore the week after the Jets. No way in hell the Panthers come out of that game anything but 0-3. We're 1-1, but our schedule is still darned difficult. If we lose to the Jets, we drop another winnable division game and will likely be 1-3 after the Ravens game. The Jets are as close to a trap game we'll see this season.

Like it must have to Carolina fans coming in to the Bills game, this looks like a W on our schedule before the game starts. Geno isn't playing inspired football, but they've managed to split their first two games in spite of it. New York allowed 250 total yards to Tampa Bay and then held New England to just 232 total yards. The good news is that the Jets are averaging only 311 total yards through two games, are -4 on turnover ratio, and are penalty happy too. The Bills hung 436 yards on the Panthers Sunday.

The Bills are a 2.5 point road underdog. Carolina gets the Giants this week, we get Baltimore the week after the Jets. No way in hell the Panthers come out of that game anything but 0-3. We're 1-1, but our schedule is still darned difficult. If we lose to the Jets, we drop another winnable division game and will likely be 1-3 after the Ravens game. The Jets are as close to a trap game we'll see this season.

"Holding the Patriots*" is completely misleading given the weather, given the atrocious play of their receivers

I actually feel pretty confident about this.

Cleveland is horrible and I believe we play Baltimore at home and so far this year, the Ravens have been pretty bad.

I agree, riding the momentum from the emotional Panthers game and what I predict to be a solid victory over NYJ, I think we can take down Baltimore. Cleveland played them tight in Baltimore, after all.

I hate the jets just like the next Bills fan but I can't go in to this game thinking it's a definite win especially after all the games we've lost to them (and we didn't even contend).

But this IS a new Bills team and we're not going up against Sanchez. I'm really liking this defense we have so far so I hope they show up again this week against the Jets.

If our offense can catch up to our defense (Stevie's words not mine), then we damn well SHOULD come out of there with a victory.

That being said, I not only want to win the game but I want the score to be lopsided. 42-13 final score would make me happy for a week til we face the Ravens.

We took one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL and reduced him to a mediocre pocket passer. I just don't see any possible way that Geno succeeds where Cam failed, and I can't see us losing to the Jets. The Dolphins will be much more of a challenge, IMO.

We took one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL and reduced him to a mediocre pocket passer. I just don't see any possible way that Geno succeeds where Cam failed, and I can't see us losing to the Jets. The Dolphins will be much more of a challenge, IMO.

I will admit that the Fins look better than I was expecting. They will be tough, but I think we'll at least be able to split with them.

EJ and the Bills won't have the luxury of the home crowd helping out. We'll see how they handle things on the road.

Gotta jump on the Jets early to keep the crowd out of it...Or better yet to turn them on the Jets...Get Geno to throw a couple picks in the 1st half and he'll see how friendly that home crowd is... ;)

All that being said I'm guessing this one will be a grind too...I think the Bills clearly have the better talent overall...But so did the Pats and the Bucs...We'll see... B-)

I will admit that the Fins look better than I was expecting. They will be tough, but I think we'll at least be able to split with them.

Yep, I didn't consider them a legit contender, but they've improved on both sides of the ball. If they can maintain a consistent ground game, they'll be tough for sure.

I saw the Thursday night game and Geno Smith leaves a lot to be desired. He holds on the ball a lot and doesn't seem to have a good command of the offense. He doesn't have good escapability and is prone to taking sacks. He has a good arm, and can make some good throws, but he looks nowhere near as confident and poised as Manuel. If all goes well, Pettine's D should be able to knock him out of the game.

Rex Ryan should probably never be a head coach. However, he will always get the most out of his defensive players and I expect them to be tough in this game. We will neeed to be more consistent offensively and cut down on the drive killing penalties. Offensively, their running game managed to average over 100 yds against two pretty good defenses. Geno Smith seems to panic when he feels pressure and that is when he seems to make most of his mistakes. However, when he doesn't get pressure, he has shown he can hit receivers downfield...and he can run as well if containment is not disciplined. I believe we are the better team. However, it is a division game, on the road, against a team that has found a way to hang close in their first two games and steal a win in one of them. If we play smart, disciplined football, and show consistency on offense, we win this game.

Exactly. Its nice that the Jets follow Carolina on our schedule, we will be well prepared for this game. Pettine will get a game ball for this one.

Dont jinx it.

I hope the Bills win but I'm not gonna expect it.

Anyone know how good the Jets run D is?

I have a feeling its pretty good.

CBF

Is the Jets' run D as good as Carolina's, which hadn't given up a run of more than 16 yards or a total of more than 70 in some significant stretch of games?

People tend to forget that as good as some defenses are Spiller is an elite talent, and Freddy ain't far behind.

"Holding the Patriots*" is completely misleading given the weather, given the atrocious play of their receivers

Good points here. That weather was a great equalizer for both teams. But missing Amendola and Vareen were huge factors, too.

GO BILLS!!!

If the offense can execute and not turn the ball over, I think the Jets D is going to have their hands full with the Bills, to be honest. The Jets D is decent but they haven't played a good offense yet this year. Brady's O was hampered by the weather and his lack of WRs and RBs that can play. Tampa has some decent skill players, but they were dreadful in week 1 and Milliner couldn't stop Vincent Jackson to save his life. Combined with the fact that the Bills should have some familiarity with what the Jets arer going to do on D because of our defensive staff coming from there, I anticipate some success. They will need to account for Spiller & Jackson and that should open up some things quite a bit. I don't think that our Dline will have as much success against the Jets Oline as they did against Carolina, but they should be able to contain Geno enough with some packages top confuse him into throwing picks that we get the win. As someone on Twitter put it during the Pats-Jets game on TNF, Geno is "the family dollar version of Cam Newton." Well, we saw the Neiman Marcus version on Sunday and turned him into a one-dimensional QB. GO Bills!!!!

Yep, I didn't consider them a legit contender, but they've improved on both sides of the ball. If they can maintain a consistent ground game, they'll be tough for sure.

Truthfully, not sure how much the Fins have improved. I think they are Fake Good. They played the Browns in week 1 (insert joke here) and the Colts defense is terrible and their offense was depleted by injury. They traded away their LT and playmaking RB. Their defense is their strength. I am not sold on Mike Wallace, but I think Hartline is a dependable, underrated WR. IMO, this division is wide open. I just wish the Bills and Jets could have taken care of the Pats while Gronk, et al was out.

I actually feel pretty confident about this.

Cleveland is horrible and I believe we play Baltimore at home and so far this year, the Ravens have been pretty bad.

I'm thinking the same thing, SJBF. In fact, I'm putting my money where my mouth is. We have a family gig of 10 people who just bought a block of tickets for the Bengals game. I have a feeling the Bills will be 4-1 going into that game, and Cincinnati didn't blow me away last night.

WAY too much Kool-Aid.

I'm thinking the same thing, SJBF. In fact, I'm putting my money where my mouth is. We have a family gig of 10 people who just bought a block of tickets for the Bengals game. I have a feeling the Bills will be 4-1 going into that game, and Cincinnati didn't blow me away last night.

WAY too much Kool-Aid.

I have lived in Ohio for 16 years, and I don't trust the Bengals to live up to the hype. There is something missing with that team. On paper, they should be a SB contender. But for some reason they seem to flop. I know they have made the playoffs the last 2 years, but they are a weird team. They beat the Steelers (bad) at home on MNF... just not a team I would be afraid of. Maybe it is their QB.... just not sure he is there yet. Their TEs are the real deal though and AJ Green is an absolute stud.

I agree. I foresaw much confusion from Newton, and that pretty much came to fruition.

I envision smith being completely befuddled.

It seemed that the Panthers only watched film of the 2012 Bills defense. They were completely surprised that the Bills would blitz. I put that on Rivera, who is a crappy Head Coach. Newton blows up his rookie year then they change the offense and he can't do squadoosh. Hint - Go back to the offense that was killing the NFL before Rivera was on board. And the Panthers lost in a way I thought only the Bills can lose. A PI call on a game icing INT. That is right out of Chan Gailey's 4th QTR playbook.

Anyhow I don't think Rexxy is as bad a coach as Rivera. I expect Geno to be very prepared for Rex RyanPettine's defense. I expect Keller I mean Soldier Grapefruitnuts to have a bananas game. We still can't cover TEs and Leonard is all over the ball but it doesn't look like he can bring anyone down any more.

I still think the Bills win but its gonna be close. If Mario gets 2+ sacks again the Bills win.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Bills on Offense:

- Jets have a good D allowing only 241 yds/game. Their pass and run D both appear to be good.

- They will take out the short to med routes and challenge EJ to go deep. Early part of the game will be critical - EJ has to take deep shots. If EJ wants to be respected for the deep ball, this would be a great game to start. This will ease the pressure and allow more runs and checkdowns

- Cromartie is good and Milliner looks slow out of the gate. Stevie should be able to get the better of Cromartie.

- IN additiion to deep ball, sideline routes should be ripe pickings also. This is a good gut check time for EJ with both these routes

- I think Hackett and EJ are picking Pettine's brain about how Ryan is likely to think on defense

Bills on D:

- Jets have given up 9 sacks and I don't expect that rate to change much. We should be able to get to Geno due to his reported happy feet. As with most raw QBs, hitting him early will pay dividends

- You can bet Pettine is fired up and will dial up exotic pressure packages

- Their run O seems non existent and almost RB by committee

All in all, we need to dominate in the first quarter and if EJ plays mistake-free football, we should coast in this game with a score that looks like 30-17