Rian Lindell released

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expected since Hopkins was drafted. Good Luck Rian Lindell.

Good luck Ryan, and thanks for all the big kicks when we needed them,. Only hope Hopkins is as good as you for the next ten yrears or so.

It's a nice gesture that they released him now so he'll likely be able to catch on with another club. And if it doesn't happen right away, he won't be out of work for very long.

It was likely a consideration of both money and a feeling that they should err toward youth and try to get some gel time with a kicker/punter combo that can be with the team for another 10 years.

So, we're full-on FSU for the kickers (and, one may speculate, QB). Did Hopkins and Powell(?) work together / FG-hold at FSU? Ramius?

All these. Thank you, Rian!

By the end of the season, he'll likely have a job somewhere. That said, I'm happy with the move. Lindell was a good kicker, and is on the downside of his career. Hopkins was a wise investment of a 6th round pick.

Good luck, Rian.

All of this.

Thanks to Rian for the last decade and best of luck to him.

Good luck Ryan, and thanks for all the big kicks when we needed them,. Only hope Hopkins is as good as you for the next ten yrears or so.

A piece of the team that has been taken for granted for years. The most reliable kicker in team history.

I think most of us saw this coming, and after Stahovich was released last week I predicted the Lindell cut would happen this week. Classy move by the Bills that allows Rian an opportunity to catch on with another team before the regular season.

I can only think of a couple of kicks Lindell missed over the years that stung -- the "gimme" against the Steelers on that fateful day when we couldn't beat their 3rd stringers to get into the playoffs, and the Monday nighter at home against Cleveland several years back.

Other than that, Rian was money -- particularly inside the 40. He's a consummate professional and has been one of the few bright spots on this roster for the past decade.

Best of luck to him!

Hate to see him go but thanks for being a Bill! all the best Rian

Have to think he will catch on somewhere. Still a good reliable kicker.

Great guy. I'm sure he'll catch on. Seems every season a kicker gets hurt, I'm sure he'll be the go to guy for any of the 31 teams...

I can't think of any real big kicks he ever missed. The dude was Mr. Clutch for a good decade. Thanks for being a bright spot on many dismal Sundays.

Me neither....then again, there were limited opportunities for big kicks over the last decade.....

Statistically better starting field position for our defense due to more touchbacks is worth more over the course of a season than the difference between the best kicker and an average kicker's difference in points from field goals made...

That being said Hopkins seems to have a chance to be both and that's rare...

Statistically better starting field position for our defense due to more touchbacks is worth more over the course of a season than the difference between the best kicker and an average kicker's difference in points from field goals made...

That being said Hopkins seems to have a chance to be both and that's rare...

Ok but you need to score to be able to kickoff and FGs are a big part of that.

Ok but you need to score to be able to kickoff and FGs are a big part of that.

Again, statistically speaking there is not much difference in the number of FGs made between the best and average kickers percentage wise...its like you are assuming all FGs are going to missed by Hopkins or something, lol...

No more punting from the 35 with Hopkins

It's a nice gesture that they released him now so he'll likely be able to catch on with another club. And if it doesn't happen right away, he won't be out of work for very long.

It was likely a consideration of both money and a feeling that they should err toward youth and try to get some gel time with a kicker/punter combo that can be with the team for another 10 years.

So, we're full-on FSU for the kickers (and, one may speculate, QB). Did Hopkins and Powell(?) work together / FG-hold at FSU? Ramius?

Yes they did.

I would carry TWO kickers, one for accuracy(FG's) and one for distance (kickoff touchbacks).

Agree. although his kickoffs may not be as strong as Hopkins, they were NEVER a liability to the team. Lack of KO coverage needed should free up a special teamer spot that can now be used to keep him as the primary FG kicker. Those two December home games and Pats in NE on 12/29 need more than a big leg, needs someone who can kick in the snow, cold, and wind. Lindell's leg strength is decent. But with our crappy defense over the past several years, any miss outside 40 yards was often converted to opponent scores. Improve the defense and you can take longer FG shots. I would have liked to have seen him break Christie's mark...deserved in the crappiest era of Bills football. At least someone would go up on the wall from the 2000-2012 decade. Right now, the leading candidate is the security guard that Lee Evans took out with his touchdown catch.

I would carry TWO kickers, one for accuracy(FG's) and one for distance (kickoff touchbacks).

Who are u??? Chan Gailey??? With all the positional battles we have going on, especially at WR, how can we possibly waste a valuable roster spot on an extra kicker???

In this day and age in NFL with players going down like flies, EVERY spot on roster in crucial.

Who are u??? Chan Gailey??? With all the positional battles we have going on, especially at WR, how can we possibly waste a valuable roster spot on an extra kicker???

In this day and age in NFL with players going down like flies, EVERY spot on roster in crucial.

Why are we assuming Hopkins is going to suck at FGs?

For some reason, I still remember that game at Kansas City a few years back, the one that went to overtime. Lindell nailed something like a 50-yarder, which I think would have won it (can't remember for sure), but the Chiefs called timeout before he kicked it. He then proceeded to shank the follow-up. Damn, that ticked me off.

Nevertheless, classy guy, a great kicker, and a real professional. Glad he was a Buffalo Bill.

last year Lindell FG% was 87.5% kicking mostly OUTDOORS.

there is a pretty good chance who ever replaces him will do worse.

Possibly but that will also likely include a lot more long range attempt and a lot fewer chip shots

Reminds me of a management book I was reading where a company was struggling and the employees insisted it was because management was so concerned with on time deliveries. The consultant was confused until he talked to the owner and he realized why it was a bad thing. Instead of taking on new business that would possibly cause a few shipments to be delayed due to volume, he maintained perfect shipping but kept business down.

Basically how I felt with Lindell the past few years...yes he has a great FG percentage but realistically its because almost all attempts were under 40 yards and he virtually never attempted a 50+ yarder...

Statistics are often misleading

which kicker is better ?

kicker "A" - 90% FG and 30% touchbacks.

kicker "B" - 80% FG and 60% touchbacks

B because the expected points saved over the course of a season due to worse starting field position for the opposition far outweighs the few extra points from FGs...

Edited by matter2003