T McGee

beerme1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg please god no. I can't take it anymore!!!!

Easy now. I wasn't suggesting we sign him. I was only asking about his whereabouts. I have the ultimate respect for him. He is a true professional.

I do not think for a minute think he could keep up with our practice sessions without getting injured!

Just curious for the guy who will retire one way or another as one of the all time great Bills players.

He has sucked the last two years. No team will touch him. We kept him bc we sucked even worse.

I'm thinking some team will sign him though. We kept him out of respect for being a great Bill with a delusional view that he could overcome the injury bug at his age. Well that and we sucked :lol: Happy trails T McGee!

Easy now. I wasn't suggesting we sign him. I was only asking about his whereabouts. I have the ultimate respect for him. He is a true professional.

I do not think for a minute think he could keep up with our practice sessions without getting injured!

Just curious for the guy who will retire one way or another as one of the all time great Bills players.

"one of the all time great Bills players" is your opinion.

I personally think he was extremely overrated for his entire career (except a few seasons as a kick returner).

But that's besides the point. The point of your thread is that he's ridiculously old and battered and probably wouldn't make it past 2 hours of practice without getting a career injury.

In his prime he was one of the great Bills. His returns were a thing of beauty. A Total team player.

"one of the all time great Bills players" is your opinion.

I personally think he was extremely overrated for his entire career (except a few seasons as a kick returner).

But that's besides the point. The point of your thread is that he's ridiculously old and battered and probably wouldn't make it past 2 hours of practice without getting a career injury.

Practice without getting an injury on this team. He will be able to manage some other teams ritual. Especially if he joins late. I'm betting someone does in fact sign him. It won't be us but I hope he has another shot and goes out on his terms as unlikely as that is. And please show the man some respect. He did a lot of good here on a lot of bad teams. In fact he was the only thing worth watching some times. unless you really liked seeing our punts!

Practice without getting an injury on this team. He will be able to manage some other teams ritual. Especially if he joins late. I'm betting someone does in fact sign him. It won't be us but I hope he has another shot and goes out on his terms as unlikely as that is. And please show the man some respect. He did a lot of good here on a lot of bad teams. In fact he was the only thing worth watching some times. unless you really liked seeing our punts!

his career has been done for years. Realistically since we signed him to a ridiculous contract when we should have signed Greer.

It's no exaggeration, he wouldn't last 3 hours in any teams practice at this point. His career is over. You haven't heard anything from him because he's probably locked in his room in a bed that he can barely get out of at this point.

I show him no respect because just like Roscoe Parrish, I feel he was extremely overrated and nothing special. He had about 2 good years under his actual NFL position with about 2 more years of pretty good returns.

If you have read anything about my opinions of return men in the past, it's nothing new.

Just because he was the only good thing to watch because the rest of our team sucked doesn't mean he was actually good.

Where's Fred Smerlas ? I haven't seen him since Denny's by the Buffalo airport (No Joke).

now that's one Bostonian that I absolutely hate. I can go my entire life with never hearing another word from that traitors mouth.

Practice without getting an injury on this team. He will be able to manage some other teams ritual. Especially if he joins late. I'm betting someone does in fact sign him. It won't be us but I hope he has another shot and goes out on his terms as unlikely as that is.

Loved Terrence.

His body is shot.

If he were here listening to this debate, he would have ruptured an eardrum by now.

I show him no respect because just like Roscoe Parrish, I feel he was extremely overrated and nothing special. He had about 2 good years under his actual NFL position with about 2 more years of pretty good returns.

If you have read anything about my opinions of return men in the past, it's nothing new.

Just because he was the only good thing to watch because the rest of our team sucked doesn't mean he was actually good.

I am sorry, but you are way off base. The guy was the best return guy in team history (that I have ever seen, at least) and one of our most consistent and quality corners for 6 years before injuries started getting him. He wasn't overrated in any respect.

I don't think you can rag on a guy because he started suffering bad knee and nerve injuries in his 7-10 seasons.

I do agree with you that he's done-- but don't get why anyone would or could criticize any aspect of his play.

I am sorry, but you are way off base. The guy was the best return guy in team history (that I have ever seen, at least) and one of our most consistent and quality corners for 6 years before injuries started getting him. He wasn't overrated in any respect.

I don't think you can rag on a guy because he started suffering bad knee and nerve injuries in his 7-10 seasons.

I do agree with you that he's done-- but don't get why anyone would or could criticize any aspect of his play.

he was a good returner, I think roscoe took way too many punts and some KR back that McGee should have taken. his numbers would have maybe doubled. Mcgee was solid as a smaller cb who succumbed to injury, not his fault he was paid so much or got hurt. he tried to come back but just got old. I really wished he could have had one more season before he retired.

This is how I see it too. Also, McGee was a very good man coverage playmaker. His game (and all of the Bills defense) really suffered when the Bills put him almost exclusively zone coverages. The guy toughed it out and took a pay cut to stay with the team. I don't understand faulting him or bashing him because his body was giving out.

well, you have your opinion.

your point being? from what i've seen, he's no better or worse than some of the backups the Bills have paraded out during camp.

jw

you can't be serious John. Your loosing all your cred if you really think a 30+ y/o corner with a history of missing 6+ games a season would be better than anyone on this team.

his career has been done for years. Realistically since we signed him to a ridiculous contract when we should have signed Greer.

It's no exaggeration, he wouldn't last 3 hours in any teams practice at this point. His career is over. You haven't heard anything from him because he's probably locked in his room in a bed that he can barely get out of at this point.

Well, you have your opinion..

By your own account, you just named 4 seasons of high level NFL play. That's not your every day 'extremely overrated, nothing special' kind of rhetoric, in MY opinion.

McGee had excellent CB years in 2004 and 2005. His AV number of 15 in 2004 (a pro-football-reference measure of overall player value) is the highest for a Bills CB in my lifetime. Spikes' 17 rating from that same season is the only one that's higher for any Bill in the post- glory years era. (Bruce had an ungodly 21 in 1996.) McGee had a very strong 12 rating in 2005 too.

Edited by dave mcbride

When healthy T McGee was a very good player. Not an elite shutdown corner, but very good starter. I think because most of the teams he played on were such crap he doesn't get enough credit. He was an elite kick returner in a time when it was much more likely to be a game changing play. He always played hard and never caused any trouble. One of my favorite players of the last decade plus of crap football.

McGee, 32, is recovering from surgery on his left knee in November. He played seven games last season with zero starts.

Over the past three seasons, he played only 22 games, starting 10.

But from 2002 through 2009, he logged double-digit starts. He went to the Pro Bowl in 2004 as a kick returner who scored three touchdowns. He had a career-high four interceptions in 2005 and 2007.

"I'm trying to get my knee back to 100 percent and hopefully find a landing spot somewhere else," McGee said. "I definitely have not thrown in the towel. That's not even in my brain right now.

"Hopefully, when I get healthy I'll have a shot at a couple teams and show what I can do. Once my knee's all right, I'll be all right."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/02/terrence-mcgee-blindsided-by-bills-call-but-hed-love-to-return.html?ref=bmh

Guy was a great KR in his time...his play at CB was, IMO, wildly over-rated by most Bills' fans, but I will say that he was a real playmaker once the ball was in his hands; he was also a great teammate.

All that said, I was glad to see him go (he's done), and I'll never understand the team keeping him over Jabari Greer.

McGee, 32, is recovering from surgery on his left knee in November. He played seven games last season with zero starts.

But from 2002 through 2009, he logged double-digit starts. He went to the Pro Bowl in 2004 as a kick returner who scored three touchdowns. He had a career-high four interceptions in 2005 and 2007.

"I'm trying to get my knee back to 100 percent and hopefully find a landing spot somewhere else," McGee said. "I definitely have not thrown in the towel. That's not even in my brain right now.

"Hopefully, when I get healthy I'll have a shot at a couple teams and show what I can do. Once my knee's all right, I'll be all right."

http://blogs.buffalo...rn.html?ref=bmh

Ah some much-needed substance.

On one hand, I don't see teams having an interest in Terrence.

On the other hand, cornerback is such a critical position and one in which many teams are deficient so I guess you never know.

I'm a bit surprised he wants to continue his career.

Ah some much-needed substance.

On one hand, I don't see teams having an interest in Terrence.

On the other hand, cornerback is such a critical position and one in which many teams are deficient so I guess you never know.

I'm a bit surprised he wants to continue his career.

That article is from a few months ago. I wonder if he has changed his tune at all. if he is healthy-- huge if-- he might get some fliers.

Im with JR. The guy made the pro bowl as a kick returner, had a solid career as a corner with some big plays for us.

I just read he was only one of 13 players in NFL history to have 5 or more kickoff returns for TD's.

2005 Christmas eve against Cinci he took one 99 yards to the house and another pick 46 yards for a TD. Never been done before or since in the NFL.

Not bad for a 4th round pick.

Gentlemen, it is more than likely he is retired, he said after his departure that he couldn't go in practice, but the debate on whether or not he was good seems a little harsh in this thread. I think it's fair and respectful to acknowledge he was a very good player for us, despite being on some miserable teams. When he played, he was good, being injury prone doesn't mean he sucked.

http://blogs.buffalo...rn.html?ref=bmh

Thats what I'm after but an update on that story.

you can't be serious John. Your loosing all your cred if you really think a 30+ y/o corner with a history of missing 6+ games a season would be better than anyone on this team.

jeepers, please read before ripping into my credibility. how easy is that to do in kneejerkville these days (and no, i'm not calling you a jerk, just simply over-reactionary). seems like anyone disagreeing with me these days goes off and questions my credibility. god, it's a discussion. i provided an opinion. and i didn't write simply "better." i wrote: "he's no better or worse."

sonofa-something. it's nearly impossible to have a discussion these days with some Bills fans who are so far dug in, that they can't see the horizon of perspective,

can't we just tap the brakes just a little.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

he doesn't even come close to how good Winfield was/is

Lil Antoine in Minnesota? No.Lil Antoine when he was on the Bills? I'll take a healthy McGee. Comparable coverage skills & light years better as a playmaker.

Thank you JR for sharing a voice of reason. McGee was a quality player who deserves respect from Bills fans, but alas, revisionist history and lack of knowledge rule the day. I wish Terrence McGee well.

jeepers, please read before ripping into my credibility. how easy is that to do in kneejerkville these days (and no, i'm not calling you a jerk, just simply over-reactionary). seems like anyone disagreeing with me these days goes off and questions my credibility. god, it's a discussion. i provided an opinion. and i didn't write simply "better." i wrote: "he's no better or worse."

sonofa-something. it's nearly impossible to have a discussion these days with some Bills fans who are so far dug in, that they can't see the horizon of perspective,

can't we just tap the brakes just a little.

jw

John, hang in there. Remember, a keyboard in the hands of the uniformed and knowledge lacking is a dangerous thing. Stay with us, you're one of the good ones around here.

Edited by Spiderweb

Thank you JR for sharing a voice of reason. McGee was a quality player who deserves respect from Bills fans, but alas, revisionist history and lack of knowledge rule the day. I wish Terrence McGee well.

Nobody said he wasn't a quality player...personally I felt he was an average corner, but not much better than that. As a KR, he was incredible. And just so you know, McGee was one of my favorite Bills...I bought his jersey and everything.

It's okay that some of us felt (and still feel) that he was over-rated as a CB by many Bills' fans...that doesn't mean we lack knowledge.

Nobody said he wasn't a quality player...personally I felt he was an average corner, but not much better than that. As a KR, he was incredible. And just so you know, McGee was one of my favorite Bills...I bought his jersey and everything.

It's okay that some of us felt (and still feel) that he was over-rated as a CB by many Bills' fans...that doesn't mean we lack knowledge.

So, how highly do you think he was rated by most Bills fans? I never heard much stronger than "very good" or "best on the team", which I think were both true when he was healthy.

Talk about someone "losing their cred." You stated McGee had "about two more years of pretty good returns." McGee was one of the best - if not THE best - return man in the NFL for about 4 years. During that 4 year stent he averaged 26.65ypr and scored 5 times. His best year he averaged over 30ypr. But yeah, instead of giving him credit for being a beast let's say he had a few years of "pretty good returns." :lol:

Edited by MDH

he doesn't even come close to how good Winfield was/is

No way. McGee was muchg

better at coverage. Winfield is a big hitter, which, as Deion taught us all, is immaterial for a shutdown corner. Winfield is like a safety trying to cover WRs man to man.

McGee was my favorite for a long time. Classy guy. Just played. Productive. Not a clown.