T McGee

beerme1

I concur on all of these points, including your rankings.

What do you think of JR in Pittsburgh's content in his previous post, including his rankings? (Arguing about how to argue on the board isn't really fun for anyone. Take the high road and turn the convo back to the content.)

Point taken and I agree.

As for the rankings, I'd go as follows (first being the best)...

1) Coverage: Winfield, Clements, McGee

2) Ball Skills: Clements, McGee, Winfield

3) Tackling: Winfield, McGee, Clements

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, this is why we have an issue; your statement seems to imply that it's appropriate to push your opinion on others. Nobody "should" think what you believe, otherwise nobody else would be allowed to have an opinion.

As for the original statement, what I said was that I felt his CB play was over-rated by many Bills' fans, but that his KR skills were incredible. You cannot determine, via debate, if a person's opinion is correct...thinking you can--as you seem to be implying above--is a fallacy.

I loved the guy, and I watched his entire Bills' career with excitement, so my opinion is as valid as anyone else's. Telling me, or anyone else, what we should think about the guy, is over-stepping.

For my part, one of the stretches that, to me, eptimoized his limitations as a CB was during the 2006 season, when he gave up TD receptions on double moves in 4 consecutive weeks, and went the entire season without an interception. Now, that sample size is entirely representative of his career, as he had notably good stretches in 2004 and early 2007, but my point remains the same.

This is such an asinine debate because everybody probably feels the same way about McGee, but is just saying it in slightly different ways.

The problem with the debate is that someone made the assertion that McGee was overrated--which automatically implicates the opinions that people hold of him.

Point taken and I agree.

So the only place we differ is coverage, where I rank McGee higher than Clements. You may be right, depending on how you look at it. Clements was more consistent during his time with the team. McGee was very good in man coverage and not nearly as good in the zone he was asked to play (i.e. way off the ball). I judged him higher because I think he had more skill, even if he was asked to play in a weaker scheme. And, I don't count his playing hurt against him, because it helped the team at the cost of his health.

Winfield and Clements had more passes defensed than McGee when they were teammates?

Well certainly you disproved my point that a team's best cornerback will have fewer passes defensed because he's thrown at less. Maybe Winfield had more passes defensed because he's more often matched up against the other team's best receiver? Just a thought.

So if Winfield and Clements had more passes defensed than McGee, how does that fit into your upthread assertion that McGee was a better cover cornerback than Winfield or your snide insinuation that McGee is a better cover man than "third team" Clements?

Also you stray from the argument when mentioning that Clements is on his third team.

Is this fact more or less relevant than the fact that Terrence McGee is out of the league and hasn't had a decent season since 2008?

http://www.pro-footb.../M/McGeTe99.htm

Yeah, maybe.

Anyway, I think that Clements was a solid CB also, and also better at pass coverage than Winfield.

I guess we should define "coverage." Winfield could cover a lot of people, as in, stay with them. But his ball skills-- making a play on the ball-- were far inferior to McGee.

This stuff about Winfield as a smothering step for step CB (with bad hands) is fantasy. He never had elite speed to go step for step with a team's best WR. Until this thread, Winfiled has been known thoughout the league and throughout his career as a small CB and a big hitter who provides outstanding run support and coverage over the middle. He's the guy who lays the hit on you after you get the ball.

This is what a poster said over at the Seahawks SBNation site (BuffaloRumblings equivalent) said (and which I have said):

"If you like, he may be best characterized as the world's best cover linebacker or the world's best run-stuffing corner."

He's a tackler. Any suggestion that he's a great "cover" CB or that his team puts him on the opponenets best WR is just ridiculous. As is th contention that he covered WRs as well as McGee.

Point taken and I agree.

that would be about my list.... ill say that even being 3rd among those 3, is pretty solid. its 3 very good players being compared.

Speaking of overrated, look up the statistics for the Bills pass defense during the years the great Winfield was at CB.

ive already conceded to the fact that Terrence McGee is the best football player of all time. The argument is over. Enlightened has shown me the way. It's because of him I can officially say that Stevie Johnson sucks too.

Honestly, not sure the difference in the 2 arguments, one player he loves, the other he thinks is overrated. Hmmm. Everyone's got opinions. But... I'm on his train now. So you won't hear any flak from me.