Two Teams Moving to LA?

Jerry Jones says not one, but two, current NFL teams could be moving to LA in the near future.

"The owners don't mess much up ... but we haven't gotten this one right. There's people, there's locations, there are people that are interested, a lot of people that can help us put this thing together. And as it turns out that we have at least two teams ... that could move to this area... There won't be any expansion,so it will be teams that move."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000220639/article/jerry-jones-two-nfl-teams-could-move-to-los-angeles

Any guesses which two he's talking about?

Jerry Jones says not one, but two, current NFL teams could be moving to LA in the near future.

"The owners don't mess much up ... but we haven't gotten this one right. There's people, there's locations, there are people that are interested, a lot of people that can help us put this thing together. And as it turns out that we have at least two teams ... that could move to this area... There won't be any expansion,so it will be teams that move."

http://www.nfl.com/n...-to-los-angeles

San Diego and St. Louis

San Diego and St. Louis

Well, they both (Chargers & Rams) played there at one time..

I know we live in constant fear of possible relocation at sometime in the future, but, like the Vikings, I just don't see original teams moving, as long as they're viable. Yes, Modell and Irsay Sr did, and they're rotting in hell because of it. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

I know we live in constant fear of possible relocation at sometime in the future, but, like the Vikings, I just don't see original teams moving, as long as they're viable. Yes, Modell and Irsay Sr did, and they're rotting in hell because of it. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

I hear ya, fear the same and hope the same.

BTW, the two oldest franchises to move after staying put in one place are the New York Giants (74 years, 1883-1957) and the Brooklyn Dodgers (67 years, 1890-1957)...I really don't want to see the Bills third on the list at 60 years, or so.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

The first 7 years of this lease (think that it's 7) is key. The closer that we get to that 7 year mark the scarier it will become if a new stadium isn't under construction. No one is going to but this team in the next couple of years with the intent to move them because the cost to do so is too great. I think that it drops to like $28M in year 7 which can be made up in a year in certain markets. The best thing for the franchise's future in WNY would be to sell the team ASAP.

Like Detroit and the Red Wings new $650 million Arena that was just approved?

$450 million in tax money to create 400 permanent jobs. Detroit and all of Michigan shoudl be forced on Canada. There is no one in that state smart enough to run it.

$450 million in tax money to create 400 permanent jobs. Detroit and all of Michigan shoudl be forced on Canada. There is no one in that state smart enough to run it.

We don't want to take your trash, It would have to be a fair trade

We will give you permanent ownership of Justin Beiber and take Michigan off your hands. But if we take Michigan, their sports teams and team history belong to Canada. That should finally shut up all the ones whinning about howthe cup has to be won by Canadian teams...........

The first 7 years of this lease (think that it's 7) is key. The closer that we get to that 7 year mark the scarier it will become if a new stadium isn't under construction. No one is going to but this team in the next couple of years with the intent to move them because the cost to do so is too great. I think that it drops to like $28M in year 7 which can be made up in a year in certain markets. The best thing for the franchise's future in WNY would be to sell the team ASAP.

What KJ said...great big gobs of what KJ said above.

I have a hard time taking anything Jerry Jones says seriously. He could say the sky is blue and I'd have to go outside and check.

Yeah, sorta like when he said firing Chan Gailey was his biggest mistake. But plenty here touted that as gospel for (3) years.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think the stadium lease has much impact on the Bills staying or leaving the area. Whatever group buys the team is going to look at the long, not short, term financial picture. If they need to pony up a big pile of cash to move the team, they will if it makes long term sense. They will be spending 800 million-ish dollars to buy the team, adding some more initial cost won't matter that much. People that deal in those kinds of investments do not look short term. If it makes long term sense to stay in WNY they will, otherwise they will go. Stressing about something you have no control over makes the least sense of all. We will know when we know.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yeah, sorta like when he said firing Chan Gailey was his biggest mistake. But plenty here touted that as gospel for (3) years.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think the stadium lease has much impact on the Bills staying or leaving the area. Whatever group buys the team is going to look at the long, not short, term financial picture. If they need to pony up a big pile of cash to move the team, they will if it makes long term sense. They will be spending 800 million-ish dollars to buy the team, adding some more initial cost won't matter that much. People that deal in those kinds of investments do not look short term. If it makes long term sense to stay in WNY they will, otherwise they will go. Stressing about something you have no control over makes the least sense of all. We will know when we know.

The short term penalty is too punitive. They are not going to buy the team, keep it here for 6 years and wait to move it. They may do that for a year or 2. Typically in pro sports when someone has the intention of buying a team to move them the lease plays a huge part in it (see Sacramento Kings and Seattle Supersonics). If there is a plan in place for a new stadium that can generate the types of revenues that some of these new stadiums offer there is no need to worry. Currently the Toronto deal offsets some of the gap between the Bills and most NFL teams. The lease is the #1 thing that will be looked at if someone is considering purchasing the team. I worked for an NBA team that was sold twice while I was there and nothing mattered until a new lease was negotiated. I think that in the immediate future this lease is good for WNY but they better make progress soon on a new stadium or it could be a disaster.

Agree. Good points.

We don't want to take your trash, It would have to be a fair trade

We will give you permanent ownership of Justin Beiber and take Michigan off your hands. But if we take Michigan, their sports teams and team history belong to Canada. That should finally shut up all the ones whinning about howthe cup has to be won by Canadian teams...........

That's an interesting offer, here's my counter. Along with Detroit, you have to take Al Sharpton, and the Teamsters.

In exchange, we'll take Bieber and Celine Dion

Oh and one more thing, you guys can't complain about us having the death penalty until umm, well after we get done with Bieber and Dion ;)

That's an interesting offer, here's my counter. Along with Detroit, you have to take Al Sharpton, and the Teamsters.

In exchange, we'll take Bieber and Celine Dion

Oh and one more thing, you guys can't complain about us having the death penalty until umm, well after we get done with Bieber and Dion ;)

I think we need to have them make Al Sharpton mayor of Toronto for 2 terms. Torontonians will finally realize how racist they are.

http://www.nfl.com/n...-to-los-angeles

How come no follow up questions to any other owners or GM's with reaction to JJ's comments (or were there)? Wonder if privately they agree or think JJ should just shut the F up about this subject.

Well we all know that Jerry is the all knowing, all seeing orb of the NFL. Jerry said it so it must be so. Like Mongo said "Bills fans just pawn in game of life" IF the team moves we can't do anything about it anyway so why worry about something we can't change and may not ever happen. Just stay a Bills fan and root for them. Maybe just maybe the team has taken a true step forward. Will they go to the Superbowl? Probably not this year, but who knows.....they said the Titanic was unsinkable. GO BILLS!!

Its all a business ploy keep dangling LA out there, even if one team moves keep the threat alive by saying there could be two teams. The NBA is doing it with Seattle, The NHL is doing it with various Canadian markets. You always need one or two cities chomping at the bit to get a team in order to make your relocation threats have merit.

I'd bet Oakland and St. Louis. San Diego could replace one.

If there's any justice, the other would be the Cowboys. Hey, Jerruh...if it's so damn important to you, move your own friggin' team and stop treating the rest of the smaller market teams like they're your personal beotches, existing only to maximize YOUR profit.

Like Detroit and the Red Wings new $650 million Arena that was just approved?

I know that this is OT, but isn't that money in question if the city successfully files for bankruptcy? The emergency controller would have the power to void all city contracts and I'm sure this one would be at the top of the list.

It'$283 million dollars in public funding according to the Red Wings. I don't know how much of that is coming from the city but it would sure help in other areas.

Edited by vincec

Mostly depends on how long Ralph holds out. If the franchise is on the auction block by the end of next calendar year, the Bills may beat all the other candidates to L.A. simply because a team on the auction block carries much much more uncertainty than a team with an existing owner who will be "rotting in hell" as you put it for moving his team out of an area it has been in for a long time. If Joe Blow Billionaire with no ties to WNY outbids everyone else for the team, he or she is pretty much immune from attack as he or she had no history with or ties to the area in the first place. It 's just a business transaction, which it is no matter who buys it, frankly, but you see what i mean. NFL franchises are not public goods like libraries, schools and parks, they are businesses in the end. If there is a brand new stadium paid for and waiting for an NFL team in L.A., that lease termination fee for the Ralph is going to look quite reasonable to any buyer.

Arguably the only way it makes any economic sense to build a stadium in downtown LA is if there are two tenants.

Now your getting it. That's what stirs the drink in NY as well. Two teams. It is going to happen. Just a matter of time. Could be two years could be 10, but you can't bullish_t economics and free markets. Goods move to where they will sell the best. NFL teams sell best in NFL cities. From a economic standpoint, L.A. is an NFL city. Buffalo and WNY are not. 10 % of all of Erie County needs to show up to sell out the tired old Ralph. Less than 1% of those within L.A. city limits (forget about the neighboring areas ) will sell out Farmers Field. Plus the suites will be full (they have to practically give them away at the Ralph) at half a mil a pop. This is going to happen. Whether the Bills are involved really depends on Ralph's mortality. Long live the King!