Warren sapp slams J Byrd on NFLN

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked Warren but these comments are unwarranted with no substance. If he were to give reasons, or at least one, then maybe he could try and argue this. Other than that, this video seems to be a washed up, broke man's rant simply because Byrd plays for the Bills.

Byrd is average at best. Is he a ball hawk? Yes. But that's all he does.

Byrd is above average.

but does he deserve the top money in the NFL at that position ? ........................................... no

The trouble is Eugene Parker probably won't even settle for that.

I find it really hard to take anyone with an 8th grade level of reading and comprehension seriously. How on earth this man is still employed as an analyst is a mystery.

When you have to fill up speaking-seats on NFLN, ESPNxxx channels, what quality do you expect.

Byrd is above average.

but does he deserve the top money in the NFL at that position ? ........................................... no

The trouble is Eugene Parker probably won't even settle for that.

Byrd has also been on ****ty teams that cannot stop the run. May be if he plays on a team like the Steelers or Ravens, he can prove that he is as good or better than Polamalu or Ed Reed, both of whom benefit from a fantastic front seven.

When you have to fill up speaking-seats on NFLN, ESPNxxx channels, what quality do you expect.

Byrd has also been on ****ty teams that cannot stop the run. May be if he plays on a team like the Steelers or Ravens, he can prove that he is as good or better than Polamalu or Ed Reed, both of whom benefit from a fantastic front seven.

Well, I USED to think Byrd was great, but then ShipUpride told us all differently. So now I'm not so sure... o0

So true... it's sad how many crappy ex-players litter sports channels...

On an aside, I loved Shannon sharp as a player, he was awesome to watch, but when I hear his analysis, all I can think of now is "Simple Jack"

Edited by Homey D. Clown

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/25/performance-based-value-buffalo-bills/

Undervalued

1. Jairus Byrd, Safety

In 2011 Byrd did enough to convince us big things were in store for his future. Well, 2012 was an even bigger step forward where he put forth a season that should have earned him All-Pro honors. He finished second in our safety rankings with the highest grade of all his peers in coverage. That’s what happens when you’re targeted 21 times and manage to pick off five balls and not allow a single touchdown.

2012 Cap Hit: $1.1m

2012 Performance Based Value: $8.8m

Value Differential:

+$7.8m

Jairus Byrd is way above an average safety. is he top 5 ? NO......is he top 10 ? maybe....is he top 15 ? for sure.

is he worth $9 mil/year ? NO

is he worth $8 mil/year ? maybe

is he worth $7 mil/year ? YES

if i'm the bills, i'm playing hardball. he plays under his franchise tag this year or signs for $7-8 mil. otherwise I franchise tag him again next year.

Jairus Byrd is way above an average safety. is he top 5 ? NO......is he top 10 ? maybe....is he top 15 ? for sure.

is he worth $9 mil/year ? NO

is he worth $8 mil/year ? maybe

is he worth $7 mil/year ? YES

if i'm the bills, i'm playing hardball. he plays under his franchise tag this year or signs for $7-8 mil. otherwise I franchise tag him again next year.

I agree with this. Maybe I am missing something but the only time I really notice Byrd is when he gets the pick. Ints are nice but when I think of an elite safety, I think of a player that is just all OVER the field all the time, every game. He is nowhere near someone like Ed Reed or some of the other top safeties.

Byrd's style of play is nothing like Polamalu's, and that has nothing to do with the front 7.

Just another ex player trashing a team he is too lazy to pay attention to.

Buffalo is not winning so, all players suck! In his opinion.

If Manual works out and this team is half as good as some of our optimism suggests, They will be all over the Bills.

Basically like Bandwagon fans. If they are not winning, they all must stink.

Warren is the old school d-bag. He is going to hype the old players, that's it. He is annoying and just comes off like a giant tool. Doesn't even come off as a likeable nice guy, just a punk.

And judging a safety, I would listen to Rhonde before I would Warren.

Edited by jboyst62

I agree with this. Maybe I am missing something but the only time I really notice Byrd is when he gets the pick. Ints are nice but when I think of an elite safety, I think of a player that is just all OVER the field all the time, every game. He is nowhere near someone like Ed Reed or some of the other top safeties.

thats the problem here in the opinions about Byrd.

He is a top safety. But the safeties that everyone comparing him to are guys like Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu. Those are not just good or great safeties. They are HOF safeties.

Is Byrd a HOF safety? No, at least not yet, for the same reasons many will point out. Is he good? You bet. Is he one of the top 5 in this league? Sure is. Should he get paid like he's #1-3 in the league. Well, that depends in what team. Even if the armchair GMs on this site, or even Doug Whaley and Co don't believe he is worthy of being paid top 1-3 in the league doesn't mean he won't. Some team out there will offer him a paycheck to make him that. Whether its us or not, it will happen.

For those of you saying he's not good enough to be paid like one of the best in the league, your absolutely bat-chit crazy. I'd really like to hear your list of safeties that are better right now. He is an absolute ball-hawk, he tackles very well, he comes up and plays the run really well (which is also why he's not all over the field on every play, because our defensive line couldn't tackle a RB if they had a box of doughnuts). I'd really like to hear everyone's list.

And fwiw, I don't think Byrd will play another down as a Buffalo Bill. He will be traded or hold out until he either gets traded or his huge contract. I hope I'm wrong, but the longer this goes in, the more likely its going to happen.

One of the best tacklers on defense, also

absolutely.. almost like people form an opinion early and never learn. his FIRST year, he was a lousy tackler. he's gotten so much better. in 2009 he had 30 solo tackles, by 2011 he had 75. Assists were similar. Last year the first game he looked lost (new system?) and then looked really good again after. granted, i don't watch other teams as closely, but i can't imagine there are 5 definitively better. certainly not geezers like polamalu or reed. this team has lacked playmakers and game-changers forever, and he's one of and maybe THE only we've had on defense. gotta keep guys like that, at least until you have others.

absolutely.. almost like people form an opinion early and never learn. his FIRST year, he was a lousy tackler. he's gotten so much better. in 2009 he had 30 solo tackles, by 2011 he had 75. Assists were similar. Last year the first game he looked lost (new system?) and then looked really good again after. granted, i don't watch other teams as closely, but i can't imagine there are 5 definitively better. certainly not geezers like polamalu or reed. this team has lacked playmakers and game-changers forever, and he's one of and maybe THE only we've had on defense. gotta keep guys like that, at least until you have others.

Byrd is one of my favorite players on the Bills.

In M. Pettines defense he could become a star.

He has improved greatly each season, a has become a balanced player. He's not so fast as he is play aware and where he needs to be.He did not freelance at all last year like Troy is allowed or Reed even. and he is still young with great upside.

Be a darned shame for him to get voted into probowl for another team next year.

Get er dun Dougie!

Well...Considering the fact that Byrd was a 2nd Team All Pro I'm pretty sure he's a little more than simply a ball hawk...

You don't get on the All Pro Team easily...It's not the Pro Bowl...You have to earn that... B-)

I'm not here to argue whether or not Byrd is elite. He's a good player, regardless. But pff analysis must be taken with a huge grain of salt, especially where FS play is concerned. I can think of two TDs given up, both with Gilmore having primary coverage (Cleveland, SF games), where Byrd was very late in getting over to cover his deep half responsibility. Yes, we can chalk it up as Gilmore giving up a couple TD passes, but Byrd screwed the pooch on both plays. That's why no agent in his right mind cites profootballfocus ratings when negotiating. There is very little context in their evaluations.

GO BILLS!!!

thats the problem here in the opinions about Byrd.

He is a top safety. But the safeties that everyone comparing him to are guys like Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu. Those are not just good or great safeties. They are HOF safeties.

Is Byrd a HOF safety? No, at least not yet, for the same reasons many will point out. Is he good? You bet. Is he one of the top 5 in this league? Sure is. Should he get paid like he's #1-3 in the league. Well, that depends in what team. Even if the armchair GMs on this site, or even Doug Whaley and Co don't believe he is worthy of being paid top 1-3 in the league doesn't mean he won't. Some team out there will offer him a paycheck to make him that. Whether its us or not, it will happen.

For those of you saying he's not good enough to be paid like one of the best in the league, your absolutely bat-chit crazy. I'd really like to hear your list of safeties that are better right now. He is an absolute ball-hawk, he tackles very well, he comes up and plays the run really well (which is also why he's not all over the field on every play, because our defensive line couldn't tackle a RB if they had a box of doughnuts). I'd really like to hear everyone's list.

And fwiw, I don't think Byrd will play another down as a Buffalo Bill. He will be traded or hold out until he either gets traded or his huge contract. I hope I'm wrong, but the longer this goes in, the more likely its going to happen.

He is not getting 9 million here so I think it is safe to say he has played his last down here (unless he chooses to play one year under the tag.) If your perception is that of other teams, he WILL get paid but no way in hell it happens here.

For me its simple.

We play Tom Brady Twice a year.

We are not in a position to let someone with that much talent and playmaking abilities to walk away.

Pay the man.

CBF

No one doubts that the team would benefit from having someone with his talent back there,

But , it simply cannot be at ANY price, that would NOT benefit the team.

The "pay da man" posts are too simplistic.

No one doubts that the team would benefit from having someone with his talent back there,

But , it simply cannot be at ANY price, that would NOT benefit the team.

The "pay da man" posts are too simplistic.

this---^

Even though I think Byrd is worth the money he is most likely asking, I don't want us to sign them for that amount. Hence why I think he's played his last down as a Buffalo Bill.

It's too bad no players have offered to restructure their contracts so the Bills could keep Byrd.

CBF

its quite odd indeed. In fact, when was the last time any Buffalo player has restructured in order to keep someone?

Byrd's run D is very underrated on here. Guy has no problem flying up to the line of scrimmage and dropping an RB. Darren Woodson and current Steelers safety Ryan Clark were asked on ESPN to name the top 5 safeties- Woodson put Byrd third and Clark put him 5th. He's comparable to any safety in the league IMO.

I don't know what Bills games people have been watching, but to imply that Byrd isn't a top 5 safety or that he is only noticeable when making picks is absurd. First off, making picks is a huge part of being a safety. The guy also recovers and creates fumbles. In other words, he's a playmaker, and playmakers come at a premium, much more so than your run of the mill high tackling/ low turnover creating safeties. Not to mention that Byrd is constantly making solid tackles. The guy is also at the very least an above average tackling safety. When you combine all these facets of the game that he has in his repertoire, this makes him an All-Pro player that deserves top pay, which in my estimations is $9M a year.

Byrd's run D is very underrated on here. Guy has no problem flying up to the line of scrimmage and dropping an RB. Darren Woodson and current Steelers safety Ryan Clark were asked on ESPN to name the top 5 safeties- Woodson put Byrd third and Clark put him 5th. He's comparable to any safety in the league IMO.

even though they are different positions, Byrds ability to play the run, reminds me a lot of Antoine Winfield.

I don't know what Bills games people have been watching, but to imply that Byrd isn't a top 5 safety or that he is only noticeable when making picks is absurd. First off, making picks is a huge part of being a safety. The guy also recovers and creates fumbles. In other words, he's a playmaker, and playmakers come at a premium, much more so than your run of the mill high tackling/ low turnover creating safeties. Not to mention that Byrd is constantly making solid tackles. The guy is also at the very least an above average tackling safety. When you combine all these facets of the game that he has in his repertoire, this makes him an All-Pro player that deserves top pay, which in my estimations is $9M a year.

perfectly said. Still don't think we pay him anything though. Some safety hungry team will though.

This thread is killing me. I am now bleeding out of my eyes and missing about 50 IQ points. Most of ya'll need to read up on the safety position. Byrd may not be 1st ballot HOF right now but if he does not drop off in production and continues to improve on the trajectory of the Pro Bowl type player he will be HOF material.

"average at best." ... really?

is he a ballhawk? yes.

did he lead the team in interceptions, forced fumbles and tie for the team lead in fumble recoveries? yes.

that is not average. it's better.

how silly.

jw

warren sapp is an idiot.

really, he's underprepared and should be fired from his job. he's not good at what he does...

the fans who argue that byrd isn't that good can share the same designation as sapp. he's a top 5 safety in the NFL, according to just about every analyst in the game...

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

This thread is killing me. I am now bleeding out of my eyes and missing about 50 IQ points. Most of ya'll need to read up on the safety position. Byrd may not be 1st ballot HOF right now but if he does not drop off in production and continues to improve on the trajectory of the Pro Bowl type player he will be HOF material.

thank you

Byrd has 1 less forced fumble in his first 4 years than Ed Reed has in his entire career. That should tell you how good Byrd is.

thank you.