Warren sapp slams J Byrd on NFLN

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, perhaps. But I'm specifically referring to those plays where he's playing deep, usually in a cover-2, when he has the most field to help defend.

GO BILLS!!!

im just saying, with the defense playing as poorly as it has, even if he was not asked to aggressively play the run, there's a major chance that he has not trusted the players in front of him to make the play for the last.... Well, since he's been on the team. So therefore, there's a good chance he's always a second off because the rest of the defense is out of position.

Actually kind of similar to Whitner. He wasnt that bad, but never lived up to expectations. Byrd has however lived up to and exceeded at every expectation anyone has ever had for him when he was first drafted. Apparently everyone forgets how good he's been at creating turnovers. Absolutely incredible at being in the right place at the right time for the pick, and his forced and recovered fumbles is off the charts. He always seems to be around the ball.

And despite all of his poor play when asked to cover or play deep. If that's the only real knock on him, then what do you think he could grow Into with an actual good defensive coordinator helping him? Wanny and the crap we've had at DC has managed to completely ruin what should have been a dominant DL and a solid defense at least. Yet Byrd managed to succeed with the same coaches. What do you think he will do with a good coaching staff and scheme?

Dont know if you guys saw this, but really Warren. The guy argues numbers but then wont support them when its a bill..

http://www.nfl.com/v...ve-for-safeties

shouldnt he be sucking up to JB for when he signs for all this money so he can be pulled up from bankruptcy?

I only like players who talk great about the Bills, it makes my fragile ego feel better.

Some people were talking about Byrd as if we couldn't afford 8-9 million a year with our current contracts. We can. I would bet at this point, they are going to wait to see who they can get to come in FA wise before the make his contract. We can tightly pack in a FA or 2 with a 9 million Byrd Contract this year.

Next year however we end up with an interesting situation. Several contracts either end or hit a point were cuts don't hurt us. I would say the names that come to mind are:

Fred Jackson (3.7M owards cap / no dead Money)

Mark Anderson (5.5M towards cap / 3M dead Money)

Brad Smith (4M towards cap / .5M dead Money)

Fitzmagic (7M dead money towards cap)

There's also a ton of smaller contracts that will add up to cap room when people are cut.

FWIW- as I pointed out in another thread, about this "Top 100 Players" list, I don't think Sapp really has an issue with Byrd...he just has an issue with the very notion than a Bills player, any Bills player, could be in the Top 100.

It is very obvious, he has spent very little, if any time, studying the Bills. A few weeks back, on one of these "reactions to the Top 100" shows, he seemed incredulous when two of the other analysts suggested the CJ Spiller belonged in the Top 100. Sapps argument against Spiller was essentially: "Everybody knows the Bills offense goes only as well as Fred Jackson goes...Jackson gets all the carries for a reason. You guys are talking about CJ Spiller in the Top 100? CJ Spiller form the Buffalo Bils? Please...what are you guys smoking?"

I only like players who talk great about the Bills, it makes my fragile ego feel better.

I don't have an issue with anyone talking bad about the Bills, hell I do it all the time. It is just that when they are flat-out wrong, and have nothing to back up their opinion other than the "Bills suck" because the lose so many games. What Sapp does is essentially as ignorant as people who come here to rail on Tom Brady and say he is "overrated". Difference is, fans aren't supposed to necessarily have an educated opinion... Sapp is being paid to have one. He just isn't earning his paycheck on this one...if you ever listen to him, as someone pointed out, he will always chose an old time big name vetran over a younger talent, and he seems to have the opinion that anybody who "graduated" from the Universtiy of Miami is superior in every conceivable way. It may just all be his schtick, but it isn't really based on reality, or educated opinion. Guy was a tremendous football player, but a lazy analyst.

Warren Sapp would be doing the same thing JB is doing, holding out to get paid. How ironic.

I think everyone should email NFL network and voice thier opinion of dislike towards sapp and what a crappy analyst he is.

im just saying, with the defense playing as poorly as it has, even if he was not asked to aggressively play the run, there's a major chance that he has not trusted the players in front of him to make the play for the last.... Well, since he's been on the team. So therefore, there's a good chance he's always a second off because the rest of the defense is out of position.

Actually kind of similar to Whitner. He wasnt that bad, but never lived up to expectations. Byrd has however lived up to and exceeded at every expectation anyone has ever had for him when he was first drafted. Apparently everyone forgets how good he's been at creating turnovers. Absolutely incredible at being in the right place at the right time for the pick, and his forced and recovered fumbles is off the charts. He always seems to be around the ball.

And despite all of his poor play when asked to cover or play deep. If that's the only real knock on him, then what do you think he could grow Into with an actual good defensive coordinator helping him? Wanny and the crap we've had at DC has managed to completely ruin what should have been a dominant DL and a solid defense at least. Yet Byrd managed to succeed with the same coaches. What do you think he will do with a good coaching staff and scheme?

I've already stated that his coverage ability is my only concern with his game. No doubt that would be helped by putting more pressure on the QB. I'm anxious to see what he does in the new scheme. But my initial post in this thread was in response to profootballfocus' review in general and their claim that Byrd did not give up a TD pass in particular. I disagree with their assessment. That is all. I'm not going to debate the finer points of Byrds merits as a FS in the NFL. He's a damn good player worth keeping. That's all I need to know.

GO BILLS!!!

I've already stated that his coverage ability is my only concern with his game. No doubt that would be helped by putting more pressure on the QB. I'm anxious to see what he does in the new scheme. But my initial post in this thread was in response to profootballfocus' review in general and their claim that Byrd did not give up a TD pass in particular. I disagree with their assessment. That is all. I'm not going to debate the finer points of Byrds merits as a FS in the NFL. He's a damn good player worth keeping. That's all I need to know.

GO BILLS!!!

Fair enough. I still don't think he's coming back so your hope to see what he looks like in a better defense it will be on another team.

Fair enough. I still don't think he's coming back so your hope to see what he looks like in a better defense it will be on another team.

What's he going to do, sit out the year? What about the next one? Almost no chance of that happening.

What's he going to do, sit out the year? What about the next one? Almost no chance of that happening.

athletes have all the power nowadays. They sit out, teams trade at a lower rate. That simple. And with his POS agent, I don't think they will think twice about sitting out.

athletes have all the power nowadays. They sit out, teams trade at a lower rate. That simple. And with his POS agent, I don't think they will think twice about sitting out.

That's true but he's give up a year of eligibility towards UFA and the big one......$7M in salary this year.

What guarantees does he have of going to a team with a better defense? Is that a team that's only one, highest paid FS away from a championship? He has limited options at the moment.

I see it this way: at worst, he's gonna play one more year in Buffalo as we want to see what he looks like in this defense, too. If he does well, I don't think the Bills will have any problem slapping the tag on him next year as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree with this on many levels. Byrd/Parker have nothing at all to gain by sitting out the year. It only hurts their cause. I can see him skipping training camp but even Parker isn't dumb enough to sit out an entire year, especially with the Bills having the option to tag him again next year.

GO BILLS!!!2

Here is what so many people miss on Byrd. He has done all of this on terrible defenses, with terrible coaching, and little to no support from the other DBs. This kid could be special playing for Pettine and this new aggressive defense. He is the best young safety in the league, hands down, and a year or two of better coaching, playing on a better team, etc and this kid might be universally recognized as the best safety in the NFL (some around the NFL already think he is).

Sign this kid, and Sapp doesn't have a clue and is a joke analyst about everything football. He isn't even good at analyzing his own position where he hates on anyone that might be better than him (and they usually are) because of his own ego.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I think these vets are going to think twice about playing hardball. Only certain guys can do this. Chris Johnson did it because he tore it up years prior. I don't want to overpay for this guy - not with a new regime coming in. We may be able to find a younger kid and get him coached up with the new D-coord.

Just another ex player trashing a team he is too lazy to pay attention to.

Buffalo is not winning so, all players suck! In his opinion.

If Manual works out and this team is half as good as some of our optimism suggests, They will be all over the Bills.

Basically like Bandwagon fans. If they are not winning, they all must stink.

Maybe the Bills are losing because the players suck

And by the way it's Manuel

I think these vets are going to think twice about playing hardball. Only certain guys can do this. Chris Johnson did it because he tore it up years prior. I don't want to overpay for this guy - not with a new regime coming in. We may be able to find a younger kid and get him coached up with the new D-coord.

Good point. They sure did focus on safeties in the draft.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know what Bills games people have been watching, but to imply that Byrd isn't a top 5 safety or that he is only noticeable when making picks is absurd. First off, making picks is a huge part of being a safety. The guy also recovers and creates fumbles. In other words, he's a playmaker, and playmakers come at a premium, much more so than your run of the mill high tackling/ low turnover creating safeties. Not to mention that Byrd is constantly making solid tackles. The guy is also at the very least an above average tackling safety. When you combine all these facets of the game that he has in his repertoire, this makes him an All-Pro player that deserves top pay, which in my estimations is $9M a year.

Byrd has 1 less forced fumble in his first 4 years than Ed Reed has in his entire career. That should tell you how good Byrd is.

Well said....and "pay that man"

I'm willing to listen if Sapp has a case to make, but that isn't what happened here. He simply says Byrd isn't any good and gives no reason for saying it. I think I trust Ronde Barber's judgment a little more as to who is playing the safety position well. Byrd is the real deal in my book.