I !@#$ing love the draft!!!!

Virgil

I find the week leading up to draft week as exciting as any other sports week of the year. I don't what it is exactly, maybe the eternal optimism and being undefeated, but it's pure crack to me.

What makes it worse is that I know I'm insane. Ever try to explain what the draft is to someone who doesn't really follow football? They look at you like you are crazy.

I look at all of the pages dedicated to players like Nassib on here and it at least makes me feel like I'm not alone.

But man, I wish they would add some more fun to the draft. For example :

Hidden mics in war rooms to catch the real reactions as players get taken before them. A confessional where the gms speak to how they talked certain guys up just to mess with other people.

Even better, every team gets a skip card that they can apply to any other team and make them drop a spot in the draft. That would be awesome. Then buddy would have to take up a sword and fight for it back.

Either way, hopefully those suggestions were taken with the slight they were meant to have. But you get the point.

T-minus 4 days until my wife silently judges me from the other room!!!

Edited by Derek in Va

Oh, did I leave out the horrible crash and burn after every first pick? I can't remember the last pick that I absolutely loved.

It's like trying to recreate a perfect fit night you had when you were younger. You overhyped it, expect the world, and then wonder why you still do this to yourself the next morning.

And I'll do it again next year too :-)

Oh, did I leave out the horrible crash and burn after every first pick? I can't remember the last pick that I absolutely loved.

It's like trying to recreate a perfect fit night you had when you were younger. You overhyped it, expect the world, and then wonder why you still do this to yourself the next morning.

I was pretty amped up over the Marcell Dareus pick who was graded as the best player in the draft that year by Mike Mayock & Co.

It kinda stinks he hasn't lived up to the hype. But then I thought about who as coaching him and the other players around him. Two good DT's don't make a defense or a team. He should look so much better this year with better coaching.

In the 2009 draft most every Bills fan in this forum was saying no to Maybin. 2006 was even worse with Whitner over Ngata

There were also many questioning (including myself) the Spiller pick....Spiller is a superstar and this team lacks super stars.

My reaction to the Bills' first round pick invariably follows this pattern:

As pick is announced:

"Really?"

"You're kidding me; they need more help at [position]."

As guys on ESPN or NFLN discuss the pick and highlights are shown:

"At least they're not calling it a reach."

"The guy looks pretty good."

After hearing the GM talk about the pick:

"This guy is really going to be a player."

"Makes sense they'd take him in the first."

It's a goddamn sickness. :lol:

I am with you on this, the last pick I was excited about was Poz, didn't work out like I had hoped, as we all know...

I forgot about Poz. Hard to imagine considering he was with us for so long :thumbdown:

He was last player drafted who I wanted his jersey immediately. This year, I think I will grab whoever's jersey of the qb we select.

Other thoughts:

-There should be a random double jeopardy buzzer where the GM has to answer questions from Glee to get an additional pick

-There should be a challenge mode where one GM enters a MMA cage with the current picking GM to block their pick

-The GM's with the first two picks should have to guitar hero it out to Freebird to see who goes first. After the 5th commercial break, we should see a winner

-The last pick of the draft should go to the danceoff winner, which has been going on since the first pick of the draft

I think I used to love it more. The overanalyzing and business of the draft has gotten out of control. Also, I can't stand the number of draft "experts" and people who take them so serious. It's such a guess game and honestly with the internet, they don't have many more resources than your average poster. But mainly I hate that it's on Thursday now. I used to go away for the draft weekends to spend time with fellow Bills friends (basically an excuse to party). The Thursday draft kills that.

That said, it is pretty awesome to think that with one pick, the Bills could become that team I grew up with in the 90s. Unlike some here, I love hope and pray they finally get it right.

I think I used to love it more. The overanalyzing and business of the draft has gotten out of control. Also, I can't stand the number of draft "experts" and people who take them so serious. It's such a guess game and honestly with the internet, they don't have many more resources than your average poster. But mainly I hate that it's on Thursday now. I used to go away for the draft weekends to spend time with fellow Bills friends (basically an excuse to party). The Thursday draft kills that.

That said, it is pretty awesome to think that with one pick, the Bills could become that team I grew up with in the 90s. Unlike some here, I love hope and pray they finally get it right.

Totally agree. I used to love draft weekend. Now it's not nearly as good with the Thu-Fri-Sat nonsense. I still look forward to it, and will probably watch the entire thing. But draft weekend on sat-sun used to be tremendous.

I know - its ridiculous that I enjoy the draft, UDFA, and FA, sometimes more than the second half of the season itself - at least, its been that way the last 10 years or so.

I think it goes to why I like football in general. I like the game so much because I believe there's more to a team winning, and being successful, than just size, strength, and 40 times. It's like a real life version of a battle chess game. The intelligence factor, the heart factor, the team factor - those things can come together and make magic happen on Sundays.

I've always identified myself with the coach/GM, too. I've never been a tremendous athlete - rather average there - but, I'm drawn to the analysis, and game planning, roster building elements of it. There were times - I'd say during the Mularky/Jauron eras - when I tried to follow other teams whose play/styles/players I liked, and I just couldn't. It's Buffalo Bills or nothing. So, I'm left with thinking, if I were running the show what would I do - what do we need to compete? Whose a great sleeper pick? With the draft especially, theres always a very small but real possibility that a genius GM could get starters for all the holes and go into the season ready to compete. I feel that way now, too. Although I doubt we'll go into training camp with no holes, I still think we could realistically fill our holes if Nix and Co. play their cards right.

Just to clarify, I think if we add a franchise QB, a good tall WR (stereotype #1), a TE, an ILB, and a CB, I think we can compete with anyone, or at the least make the playoffs as a wild card. Thats 5 starters. In this draft a good GM with a roster like Buffalo's should be able to add starters into the 4th round. It shouldn't be out of the question (and, it's not statistically) to add a starter or two via UDFA. I think we can also add a starter at G in FA if we fail to do so in the draft.

And so - Thursday cannot come soon enough. Chicken wings, beer, pizza, and hope.

By chance, my wife has a business trip scheduled for this week. She leaves Wednesday and returns Saturday night. Now that's what I call good planning.

Totally agree. I used to love draft weekend. Now it's not nearly as good with the Thu-Fri-Sat nonsense. I still look forward to it, and will probably watch the entire thing. But draft weekend on sat-sun used to be tremendous.

Add me to that list too.

I am definitely looking forward to Thursday night but it isn't anywhere near as exciting as it used to be. Basically an entire Saturday spent with your football buddies watching it all unfold while grilling, drinking, and over analyzing everything. The one round prime time on Thursday just doesn't work as well.

I guess I'm in the minority because I have come to really enjoy the 1st round primetime show. I think the first round now flows so much more smoothly -- it always seemed to me that on Saturday it took forever to get through that round.

Funny- I booked my return flight back from CA (boring business meeting stuff) just so I could make the beginning of the draft. I'm afflicted with the sickness as well, as I'm becoming delusional again. Yes, "what if Marrone is as good as Polian, Parcells, and others have stated" "what if Buddy has a really good draft as I know people will balk at me, but Gilmore, Glenn, and yes Bradham were all good pick ups" "What is Buddy actually picks in the first 4 rounds excellent additions to us, and we just find one or two servicable guys in free agency afterwards" "what if we actually have a homerun hit for a DC, and we become a punishing defense like the Ravens or Jets"

It is definitely a sickness as I'm trying so hard to resist the temptation of starting to believe in them. So yes, I cannot wait for draft day, and hope to god I'm not throwing pretzels at the TV.

I'm just happy that the networks (ESP and NFLN) agreed to not ruin the surprise by pre "Twittering" the picks and showing the guys on the phone pre-pick. It lost a lot with me the last couple of years because of knowing the pick 5 min before it happened.

Now will they hold true to that, we will see.

Now the thought of the Jets having two first rounders at #9 and #13 is depressing. Just thinking the Bills will reach for a QB, and be mired in another 3 years of losing.

Meanwhile, the Jets are set to possibly grab 2 of those top 6 O linemen, or get a QB and a linemen :cry:

Edited by FeartheLosing

T-minus 4 days until my wife silently judges me from the other room!!!

My wife hates it, but she gets on board because it's the one day every year I make my special nachos. After those are gone, she starts in with the errand requests.

But mainly I hate that it's on Thursday now. I used to go away for the draft weekends to spend time with fellow Bills friends (basically an excuse to party). The Thursday draft kills that.

I absolutely hate the new format. I used to plan my whole weekend around the draft; sometimes parties with friends, sometimes just a big spread at home. Now I have to worry about getting home from work on time (especially for round 2) or how late the thing stretches on so I can still make it into work Friday morning. I wonder how it's working out for the NFL? I wonder if they will ever consider moving it back, or if the $$ is a lot better with this format.

The draft is the Bills Super Bowl CBF

Yep, I've been saying this to people for far too long.

I guess I'm in the minority because I have come to really enjoy the 1st round primetime show. I think the first round now flows so much more smoothly -- it always seemed to me that on Saturday it took forever to get through that round.

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that was because they used to have a longer time limit during the 1st round than they do now.

Now the thought of the Jets having two first rounders at #9 and #13 is depressing. Just thinking the Bills will reach for a QB, and be mired in another 3 years of losing.

Meanwhile, the Jets are set to possibly grab 2 of those top 6 O linemen, or get a QB and a linemen :cry:

This will make you feel better:

Also, add Vernon Gholston to the list.

I find the week leading up to draft week as exciting as any other sports week of the year. I don't what it is exactly, maybe the eternal optimism and being undefeated, but it's pure crack to me.

What makes it worse is that I know I'm insane. Ever try to explain what the draft is to someone who doesn't really follow football? They look at you like you are crazy.

I look at all of the pages dedicated to players like Nassib on here and it at least makes me feel like I'm not alone.

I know the feeling. I absolutely love the draft.

People think I am crazy for flying out from California to NYC just to attend the draft. What can I say, I love it.

To me, the draft is the first day of the season. This will be my 13th draft and over the years I have made many friends who attend every year too. It's a great time. Although I liked it much more when it was a two day event.

Considering how much you love it, you should go to it one of these years.

I know the feeling. I absolutely love the draft.

People think I am crazy for flying out from California to NYC just to attend the draft. What can I say, I love it.

To me, the draft is the first day of the season. This will be my 13th draft and over the years I have made many friends who attend every year too. It's a great time. Although I liked it much more when it was a two day event.

Considering how much you love it, you should go to it one of these years.

I give you major props for that. I really loved the old format of the draft and would have been tempted to go to Radio City one of these years. Personally, I'd rather go to McFaddens or some bar and watch it there but I hope you have a great time and the Bills make a pick you can be proud of.

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that was because they used to have a longer time limit during the 1st round than they do now.

Yes, and I believe the change was made for that exact reason. Less time in the 1st round because the teams know they don't have to worry about the 2nd and 3rd until the following day. Anyway, I like it.

By chance, my wife has a business trip scheduled for this week. She leaves Wednesday and returns Saturday night. Now that's what I call good planning.

She isn't going to New York City is she?

:)

This will make you feel better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Also, add Vernon Gholston to the list.

That was AWESOME!!!

Thanks!!!

She isn't going to New York City is she?

:)

That was AWESOME!!!

Thanks!!!

Wicked! That clip made me feel better.

I too love the draft. It is the perfect storm of excitement, disappointment and rationalization that being a Bills fan is all about

The draft is my drug, and yes I've refused methadone.

Learning about the players that year, making my spreadsheet, editing the comments on DraftTek, spending hours on here, watching video of players...oh my God! I'm in deeper than I thought!

3 days, 3 hours, 28 minutes, 53 seconds more fun!

I'm with ya but I'm just not into as much this year and it's mainly because year after year the FO disappoints with the picks they make and it's just not worth the headaches of getting bent out of shape about it.

Other than not grabbing Russell Wilson in rd 3, what was so terrible about last years draft?

For some reason, the drafting of John Fina over Carl Pickens angered me more than Whitner, Maybin and McKelvin combined.

Other than not grabbing Russell Wilson in rd 3, what was so terrible about last years draft?

But Graham over Wilson comes close.

I am with ya on Thursday. Since they switched it, the draft is just not that big of deal to me. Although Saturday, with the weather looking decent my son has a baseball game in the morning & it should be done by noon. I was thinking about bringing the TV out on the patio with the draft on & switch over to some ball games & make a day of it. Have not asked any of my friends, I will probably just keep it low key, get a couple ribeyes, see if my son wants to play the old man in a 5 game series in wiffle ball & make a fire at night. Oh yeah & get a case of beer iced down in the cooler. Should be a fun little Saturday, looking forward to it.

BTW, not to steel this post, but I called Direct TV Friday & threaten to cancel my service. The girl gave me the MLB baseball package for free, $15 off my account for the next 6 months & the NFL Ticket for a one time payment of $39.99. So now I got every baseball game. I have been loving it so far.

Edited by Gordio

The draft is my drug, and yes I've refused methadone.

Learning about the players that year, making my spreadsheet, editing the comments on DraftTek, spending hours on here, watching video of players...oh my God! I'm in deeper than I thought!

3 days, 3 hours, 28 minutes, 53 seconds more fun!

By the way, do you ever go back after three years or so and evaluate how you did, in terms of ranking and estimating success?

I love the enthusiasm around the draft on my part as well as watching people go primate poop like the O.P.

This year there is a potential for what might initially appears to be a bust to turn into something great, so don't despair immediately if the first couple of picks stink. It's been discussed, and that's: all supporting cast, in preparation for a tanked season a la Indy, so that we can get the franchise QB we need next year.

I'd be pretty happy with three great non-QB picks round 1-3 and a QB next year. IMO, none of this years QBs will turn this ship around in one year, so you may as well learn from Indy and build an actual team. Draft well, then lose out, then draft well THEN you've got a franchise that can win even in Toronto.

Ok... now you can blast me, I've taken cover.

i used to love spending the weekend watching the draft and initially i was pretty disappointed with the new format. but, my job now has me working most weekends, so now i'm happy i can watch the first few picks in the evenings. also, i drive a lot for my job so i can listen to all the expert evaluations from the callers to wgr, and this year there should be some really interesting insights!