Things worth seeing from NYC to buffalo. Road trip

Vetriano

Thinking about going on a camping trip with my 9 year old daughter. Would like to show her niagra falls. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to space out the drive? Any suggestions on things we should see? I am thinking hopefully we could catch a drivein movie.

Thinking about going on a camping trip with my 9 year old daughter. Would like to show her niagra falls. Does anyone have any goodideas on how to space out the drive? Any suggestions on things we should see? I am thinking hopefully we could catch a drivein movie.

If you feel like going north of Albany at all, Saratoga Spa State park is really cool

There is a drive in movie theater in Hyde park NY (Just north of Poughkeepsie) I lived there last year and went a few times.

Niagara Falls is awesome, If you a passport, the Canadian side has many shops and attractions that could be cool for a 9 year old

Thinking about going on a camping trip with my 9 year old daughter. Would like to show her niagra falls. Does anyone have any goodideas on how to space out the drive? Any suggestions on things we should see? I am thinking hopefully we could catch a drivein movie.

...yeah, I got nuthin'.

I've driven the NYS Thruway several dozen times, easily. And the Albany-Syracuse segment is the most painfully boring stretch of highway I have ever driven.

...yeah, I got nuthin'.

I've driven the NYS Thruway several dozen times, easily. And the Albany-Syracuse segment is the most painfully boring stretch of highway I have ever driven.

Two of my friends ended up in the hospital with e. coli from a diner somewhere in the middle of the state (road trip). The girl ended up with a 2 week stay in the hospital.

I suggest this because not only was it mere months before their wedding, and the female was ecstatic about the rapid weight loss, but they also ended up being able to buy a car outright with the settlement. Total win/win. Well, more like win/puke/win. Actually, it's win/nonstopexplosivediarrhea/win, but whatever.

OP, I'll PM you the name of the restaurant so you can add it to your itinerary. :thumbsup:

...yeah, I got nuthin'.

I agree that it's boring but I take it you've never driven through northern Texas or the the Grapevine through central California. Boring!

To the OP poster I agree with the Finger Lakes especially with a 9 year old. More wine for you!!

Drive in's...

http://driveintheater.com/drivlist.htm

Letchworth would be cool.

If you're near Rochester, check out the Strong National Musuem Of Play.

...yeah, I got nuthin'.

The only thing I can think of in that stretch for a 9 year old would be Howe Caverns.

Screw the car... Take the trip by boat! ;-) :-)

Was a dream of my brothers and a friend of theirs to do Toledo-Windsor-Cleveland-Buffalo-Brockport by boat, possible Toronto. They never got the chance, but it would have been freaking awesome.

check with Chef Jim, he has a notebook full of suggestions and ideas...

that said, my suggestion would be....http://thinknydrinkny.com/NYSBA_Brochure_INSIDE.pdf

Thinking about going on a camping trip with my 9 year old daughter. Would like to show her niagra falls. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to space out the drive? Any suggestions on things we should see? I am thinking hopefully we could catch a drivein movie.

Edited by The Poojer

Side track to Cooperstown?

Lake George, great escape, camping. I take it you are doing this in the summer?

The Comet from Crystal Beach is at Great Escape outside Lake George. Try Watkins Glen. The Corning Glass Factory is good, too. And you need to ride on the Maid of the Mist.

Woodstock, Monticello Raceway, Finger Lakes, Ithaca, Watkins Glen, Rochester, Dinosaur BBQ/Sticky Lips, Buffalo, Bisons Game, Bills Training Camp, Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls Canada, Toronto, Blue Jays Game, Buffalo Naval Park, Violas Subs. That should give you some ideas.

I am sick of windmills. I moved to the Central Valley and at least half of my jobs are in the SF Bay area. To get there, I have to drive over the Altamont Pass (yes, the Altamont). The hills are covered with windmills (the second biggest wind farm in the US). For a change of pace,I'd like to see one of the big ones in the distance break apart.

Was a dream of my brothers and a friend of theirs to do Toledo-Windsor-Cleveland-Buffalo-Brockport by boat, possible Toronto. They never got the chance, but it would have been freaking awesome.

You will have to pay a toll through the Welland if you want to quickly hit Toronto...

Sounds great though! There is the "Great Loop" too! Many people say it is a trip of a lifetime! I see boats from all over: Vermont, Western PA, Bermuda, Cayman Islands...Heck even had some from Alaska! There are many options... One such very scenic option is coming up the East Coast and enter the Seaway @ Gaspe... Then down into Lake Onatrio and shoot the Trent-Severn (very scenic through Ontario from Peterborough to Port Severn) to Lake Huron bypassing Lake Erie and The Falls. You can also enter through Ottawa and the Rideau... Very historic and awesome! Once down the middle of the country... Up the Ohio and down the Tenn-Tom... That will put you out on the Gulf @ Mobile, AL (not NOLA as if taken the lower MS)... It is especially pretty through Tenn and Alabama... Places many people don't see! Then take the InterCoastal around back up to New York and do the Hudson to Erie Canal on to Lake Erie... This will put you right back up Lake Erie @ home in Toledo! ;-) ;-)

So many side trips... Like I mentioned, the Ottawa and Rideau... Even the Richelieu into Lake Champlain!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent%E2%80%93Severn_Waterway

Oh... Make sure you have over a year or two or three of time... Stay south in the winter months and north in the summer... Go full blown snowbird! Oh, and don't go through downtown Chicago, enter the Illinois through the industrial complex @ Calumet Harbor... Stop in and say hi! ;-) ;-)

I agree that it's boring but I take it you've never driven through northern Texas or the the Grapevine through central California. Boring!

To the OP poster I agree with the Finger Lakes especially with a 9 year old. More wine for you!!

Where in Northern Texas is boring?

The part I drove through on my way to CA 30 years ago. So boringly forgettable that I still remember it to this day. :D

Then regretfully I will have to agree with the

exception of Amarillo and Palo Duro Canyon

along with the college activities of Texas Tech

in Lubbock.

Woodstock,

I forgot about Woodstock (Bethel Woods). I stopped there one day on my way home from work. It's amazing standing at the base of the hill and thinking about what it looked like with a quarter million people there. The musuem is really interesting also, not sure if it will be for a 9-year-old though.

I forgot about Woodstock (Bethel Woods). I stopped there one day on my way home from work. It's amazing standing at the base of the hill and thinking about what it looked like with a quarter million people there. The musuem is really interesting also, not sure if it will be for a 9-year-old though.

It was actually about 400,000

Outdoorys type things...

Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge: AKA: "Alabama Swamps."

http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=52540

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois_National_Wildlife_Refuge

Bit off the northly Thruway... BUT you can travel from NYC to WNY via the Southern Tier:

(Mostly in PA):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_National_Forest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinzua_Dam

You can tell we took boring trips as a child! :lol:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/allegheny/Kinzua.html

http://www.theallegheny.com/Kinzua_Dam2

Letchworth would be cool.

I haven't been since my teen years, but I remember spectacular scenery. I was hoping to rekindle some memories, but that darn site doesn't have any pics of the park. I'll go view some pics via google. Meanwhile, whoever developed that website did a craptastic job.

Try driving through Indiana sometime.

As for the OP - Darien Lake would be a good stop if she likes amusement parks. If she likes baseball, Rochester has a very nice AAA team/stadium. We like Green Lakes State Park (outside Syracuse) for camping. Lots of other nice state parks in the finger lakes. If you go way north, 1000 Islands has alot to offer.

I am sick of windmills. I moved to the Central Valley and at least half of my jobs are in the SF Bay area. To get there, I have to drive over the Altamont Pass (yes, the Altamont). The hills are covered with windmills (the second biggest wind farm in the US). For a change of pace,I'd like to see one of the big ones in the distance break apart.

Too bad you missed this...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/enel_hires_consultant_to_help.html

Back to the OP, if you go by an Abbott's Frozen Custard stop in and get a Chocolate Almond. The stuff is amazing.

Does your kid like Jello? The Jello museum is off exit 47 in LeRoy.

Take a ride on a real steam locomotive on the Arcade & Attica Railway in Arcade.

The Fisher-Price toy museum is in East Aurora. I think they have the original Promo the Robot on display.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Try driving through Indiana sometime.

As for the OP - Darien Lake would be a good stop if she likes amusement parks. If she likes baseball, Rochester has a very nice AAA team/stadium. We like Green Lakes State Park (outside Syracuse) for camping. Lots of other nice state parks in the finger lakes. If you go way north, 1000 Islands has alot to offer.

how the hell can I forget Darien Lake? I only drive by it every single day to work.

Ill agree that the Albany to Syracuse drive is probably one of the most boring drives across the state. That and Elmira to Binghampton on the 17/86.

But neither of these are even close to ANYWHERE IN THE STATE OF NEBRASKA THAT'S NOT LINCOLN!!! By far the most mind numbing drive I have ever driven in my entire life. For quite a while I might add. Went through the entire state on my way to Denver when I moved out to Vegas years ago. I wanted to cut my throat with the Slim Jim wrappers I had all over my passenger seat. The eastern part of Colorado ain't that fun either FYI. Partly because once I hit Colorado from Nebraska I felt like I was almost there and of course it was a few more hours of boring rolling hills.

The Fisher-Price toy museum is in East Aurora. I think they have the original Promo the Robot on display.

PTR

The Fisher-Price museum I think is no longer... I think. We went a bunch of years ago and were gonna go again recently and the place was closed. I am not sure if it moved. Maybe to China where they make all the rest of the crap... ;-) ;-)

This from their website:

"The Toy Town Museum is no longer located on the Fisher-Price campus.  We are currently looking for a new location within the village.  Please check back for more information.

Thank you for your support and your patronage over the past 20 years."

Anyway:

There is the kazoo factory in Eden.

www.EdenKazoo.com

how the hell can I forget Darien Lake? I only drive by it every single day to work.

Ill agree that the Albany to Syracuse drive is probably one of the most boring drives across the state. That and Elmira to Binghampton on the 17/86.

But neither of these are even close to ANYWHERE IN THE STATE OF NEBRASKA THAT'S NOT LINCOLN!!! By far the most mind numbing drive I have ever driven in my entire life. For quite a while I might add. Went through the entire state on my way to Denver when I moved out to Vegas years ago. I wanted to cut my throat with the Slim Jim wrappers I had all over my passenger seat. The eastern part of Colorado ain't that fun either FYI. Partly because once I hit Colorado from Nebraska I felt like I was almost there and of course it was a few more hours of boring rolling hills.

Try driving through the state of Illinois. Illinois is one of the most levelest state when taken through a cross section. Kansas is flat but all up hill to the west... Think of like sticking a giant level on a state... ;-)

One old timer I worked with was from St. Louis... From The Chicago area to St. Louis is about 4-5 hours... He would read the newspaper while driving there, he was the driver!... LoL... :-O

what an odd mish mash of attractions co-exist in upstate ny. you sometimes forget when you are gone for awhile.

LoL... So true!

I don't know if somebody mentioned Old Fort Niagara... That is always my favorite!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois