Would you rather be a starter on a crappy team or backup on a good one

Late in your career, would you rather play for a contender or play?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If you were someone like Matt Hasselback, for the same money, would you prefer to be a back-up on a team that has a good chance for the playoffs, or have a good chance to be the starter for a year

• Be a starter for a year on a bottom level team like The Bills, and maybe two if you play well
    • Be a back-up on a team with a clear starter that should make the playoffs and only play if there is an injury

If you're Matt Hasselback, would you sign with the Colts or the Bills if the money was the same?

Myself, the name of the game is not to win, it is to play. I understand wanting to be on a winner, and there are a lot of injuries at the QB position, so you may indeed not only play but possibly become a starter... but I think late in my career I would rather experience playing than experience sitting and being a cheerleader. It's not a no brainer either way. I think I would want to play.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I'd go the team with the best chance of me getting a ring. Although, if someone is throwing money my way, who knows..

I understand that, and it's possible, that faced with the situation, i would choose to go to a team that was close to getting a ring. Like, perhaps, if SF called, knowing that Kapernick runs a lot and there is a decent chance he will not play the whole year, I may be tempted.

I don't think I would feel all that great about getting a Rob Johnson ring frankly. If I played in a few games and helped the team win and get to the playoffs, sure, I'd feel like I contributed. I don't really want it if I didn't do anything to get it.

I understand that, and it's possible, that faced with the situation, i would choose to go to a team that was close to getting a ring. Like, perhaps, if SF called, knowing that Kapernick runs a lot and there is a decent chance he will not play the whole year, I may be tempted.

I don't think I would feel all that great about getting a Rob Johnson ring frankly. If I played in a few games and helped the team win and get to the playoffs, sure, I'd feel like I contributed. I don't really want it if I didn't do anything to get it.

Even if you don't start on Sunday a backup qb can do a ton - film room, scout team, practice, helping to set a tone etc... That can make him a big part of the success. When in the right headspace for the job a vet that knows how to get the job done can give a lot, even on the bench.

In my late 30s I think I'd be ok starting that transition out of being an every week player and into role player and ease from there into retirement rather than go to a disaster and get beaten til I can't play anymore.

Be a starter for a year on a bottom level team like The Bills, and maybe two if you play well (6 votes [40.00%])

I think you mean...

Be a starter for a year on a piece of crap team in a dysfunctional franchise.

Edited by rickenbru

Even if you don't start on Sunday a backup qb can do a ton - film room, scout team, practice, helping to set a tone etc... That can make him a big part of the success.

+1. Jim Kelly once said he'd have never been the QB he was had it not been for Frank Reich. Jim said that Frank was always pointing out nuances with the D, and other things he'd learned by spending countless hours in the film room.

jb

+1. Jim Kelly once said he'd have never been the QB he was had it not been for Frank Reich. Jim said that Frank was always pointing out nuances with the D, and other things he'd learned by spending countless hours in the film room.

jb

Then be a QB coach when you retire. ;)

Or collect the MUCH BIGGER paycheck, sling it around some at practice without taking big hits and stand in when needed til you can't?

You get the same "much bigger paycheck" playing the last couple years. Believe me, I understand both sides, and both sides have their pluses and minuses. I just think I would rather play. Obviously, if you knew you were going to be a back-up on a playoff team but still get in the games, I would opt for the playoff team. But in the Hasselback example, where he is going to a team where there is a good chance Luck will play all 16 games, I think I would rather play.

when i watch all these sports networks and I see ex-NFL players talking they all seem to say the same thing...All players want that ring, that superbowl win...(this is when I get mad at certain players like Rob Johnson...play crappy for one team and then go and get a ring as a backup on another...so basically help destroy a team and then get rewarded for it on another)...the biggest prize you can get is that win and the ring, and some players get it for being back-ups on good teams...anyways, my point is, I think players will always go to the team that can get them that prize when its late in their career...I think if I'm coming off my rookie contract I would want to go and play somewhere knowing I have a good 5-7 more years to play...If I'm Hasselbeck I would go to where i can get that ring b4 where I can play...I guess it also depends on how beat up my body is at Hasselbecks point in his career...best option would be "where can I go and play and still get that ring", but that option doesnt come up often i wouldnt think...dont get me wrong, there are some players that dont feel the ring is the most important part of their career...some feel playing until they die is more important.

Winners want to start.

I tend to agree with this. These are ultra-competitive guys. A QB has to always believe he can get the job done, and wants the opportunity. That's why I chose "start for crappy team."

Myself personally, as long as I have confidence in my abilities and my body still feels good enough to take the pounding of a 16 game schedule, I want to start for the crappy team because I’d feel like I can help them become a winning team. I would get more personal satisfaction out of leading a notoriously bad franchise to the playoffs than riding the bench on an already good team to try and get my ring. This is how I voted.

Now if I’m Hasselbeck, who’s had back issues for a few years now, I don’t know that my body can handle that anymore and would be more willing to accept a backup role to stay in the league. If I’m going to do that, I want to be on a good team so I could possibly get that ring.

Either way, I'd want to keep the dream alive as long as possible...as long as my skills haven't deteriorated so much that I'm embarrassing myself.

Edited by cnico

Winners want to start.

I thought winners wanted to win ? Rather be on a team that will go to the Playoffs, even if a backup. Injuries are common to the QB position, and if your a solid player you could be the one winning the Super Bowl, like Hostletler (sp) in Super Bowl 25.

A backup on a good team is much easier on a body, particularly an aging body, of a QB.

there is also this. If your 38, this is a much better option.

You get the same "much bigger paycheck" playing the last couple years. Believe me, I understand both sides, and both sides have their pluses and minuses. I just think I would rather play. Obviously, if you knew you were going to be a back-up on a playoff team but still get in the games, I would opt for the playoff team. But in the Hasselback example, where he is going to a team where there is a good chance Luck will play all 16 games, I think I would rather play.

i was pointing at your "just become a qb coach" sentiment. obviously you get paid to play. but if you step back to qb coach, or offensive assistant its peanuts by comparison. good backup qbs can out earn head coaches.

definitely not clear cut, and obviously totally hypothetical, but just talking the flip side of the coin for your arguments a bit.

Edited by NoSaint

Hmm.. I answered this before I realized it pertained to Hasselbeck. If I were a young QB I'd want to be starting on a crappy team. As Hasselbeck I'd look for a ring.

I was really just using Hasselback as an easy to understand recent example. It didn't mean only him, I was thinking of more of a generic question. But the answer to the question does deserve some context. If you're really beat up and have bad knees and can't throw anymore or avoid hits, then maybe you opt for the back-up job.

i was pointing at your "just become a qb coach" sentiment. obviously you get paid to play. but if you step back to qb coach, or offensive assistant its peanuts by comparison. good backup qbs can out earn head coaches.

definitely not clear cut, and obviously totally hypothetical, but just talking the flip side of the coin for your arguments a bit.

Oh, I understand. But I only gave two options: Play in games or be back-up. You mentioned helping out on the sidelines and being mentor and helping in film room, etc. I mentioned that if that is what you really wanted to do, play for a year or two -- make the money -- and THEN become a QB coach where you can do those things.

Again though, I understand both sides of the argument, I personally would likely rather play, and I wouldn't really want a Rob Johnson Ring where I didn't really add anything to the team. Sure you can say running the scout team et al adds to the team, but also pretty much anyone could do that.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

when i watch all these sports networks and I see ex-NFL players talking they all seem to say the same thing...All players want that ring, that superbowl win

No they go to the highest bidder. Seriously, Mario Williams came here to get a ring? He tanked his post season career to come here for the dollar, a lot of them. He'll never see the playoffs as long as he is a Bill

backup QB is the best job in sports. think about it...you make millions of dollars for doing nothing, there's not a lot expected of you so when you go into the game and do good you are a hero, you don't have the pressure and scrutiny that the starter has to deal with, and you can retire healthy and without brain damage from numerous concussions. sign me up for that!

Edited by kdiggz

I get the feeling everyone voting "backup" just doesn't understand the mentality of a professional athlete -- and particularly an NFL QB. These aren't guys looking for the "easy" job for a paycheck -- that's schlubs like you and me. They are ultra competitive, and I guarantee you Matt Hasselbeck still believes he can get the job done.

I get the feeling everyone voting "backup" just doesn't understand the mentality of a professional athlete -- and particularly an NFL QB. These aren't guys looking for the "easy" job for a paycheck -- that's schlubs like you and me. They are ultra competitive, and I guarantee you Matt Hasselbeck still believes he can get the job done.

I heard, and it seems reasonable, that The Bills were interested in him and he was interested in the Bills, but he wanted the Bills to offer him the starting job. They wouldn't do that, and knowing that he would likely be in a fight with TJax and a #1 or #2 pick for the starting job through training camp, he turned them down and picked the sure thing on a contender.

i get it - but right now if he signs with a team thats sans qb, he will likely see one drafted and find his way to the bench anyway. no ones making a real starting commitment to a 38 year old hassleback. if thats the case you want to contribute to a championship. theres a lot he can still do, and frankly its a nice paycheck and situation still even if you arent starting

Edited by NoSaint