Without cheating, name this QB

His pre draft report...

Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

His pre draft report...

Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Brady

Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games.

Maybe these should be the main factors in searching out a QB rather than height/arm strength/speed, etc.

Intelligence, poise, accuracy, touch, produces in big games

These seem to be those intangibles everyone always talks about that Brady has in spades...producing in big games

shows the competiveness, leadership, and want to be great; poise shows mental toughness (not letting things get to you); intelligence,

accuracy, and touch (doesn't make a lot of mistakes).

Edited by folz

I assume Bob Griese

The Brian Griese comparison is because he succeeded Griese as QB at Michigan after Griese led the Wolverines to the national championship. Griese's leadership was widely credited as a major factor in the Wolverine run (that and Charles Woodson). In fact Brady had trouble replacing Griese although he had a better arm and better accuracy. I remember reading at the time that Brady's superior physical tools were "fools gold" and that he did not have Griese's leadership skills, which was true in college. As a matter of fact, QB guru Bill Walsh though that Griese was the best QB prospect of his class which included Peyton Manning.

Edited by vincec

Yeah, all the Griese comparisons give Brady away.

That and the fact that this is posted every single year, multiple times, in the exact same thread question of "name that player" during the season, after the season, and before the draft

Oh its Brady. Point being the talking heads don't know **** when it comes to evaluating players. yeah they hit on one or two but if they really knew something NFL teams would pay huge to have them on their staffs.

It also shows most of the NFL front offices can't evaluate talent for crap. Its a crap shoot every year period. Who knows if one of these QB's can do the job or not? I know this continuing to wait till next year, or next year, or next year is why we are in this spot.

His pre draft report...

Hmmmm.....it sounds like Brady but the thread title implies this quarterback has never cheated so it can't be Brady.

Hmmmm.....I'd say Montana but isn't he older than Brian Griese so it has to be someone younger.

Hmmmmm.......I think Gabbert was touted for his arm but the rest sounds about right.

I'm going to say Aaron Rodgers.

His pre draft report...

]

Your favorite QB - Tom Brady. How many of his jerseys do you have?

His pre draft report...

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own. Cries like a little girl when he doesn't get his own way.

I thought the bit in red would have been a dead give-away.

His pre draft report...

brady

The Brian Griese comparison is because he succeeded Griese as QB at Michigan after Griese led the Wolverines to the national championship. Griese's leadership was widely credited as a major factor in the Wolverine run (that and Charles Woodson). In fact Brady had trouble replacing Griese although he had a better arm and better accuracy. I remember reading at the time that Brady's superior physical tools were "fools gold" and that he did not have Griese's leadership skills, which was true in college. As a matter of fact, QB guru Bill Walsh though that Griese was the best QB prospect of his class which included Peyton Manning.

I know, it was obvious but if your going to read it as any qb just for the hell of it, I think it was the funniest as the elder griese.

Oh its Brady. Point being the talking heads don't know **** when it comes to evaluating players. yeah they hit on one or two but if they really knew something NFL teams would pay huge to have them on their staffs.

It also shows most of the NFL front offices can't evaluate talent for crap. Its a crap shoot every year period. Who knows if one of these QB's can do the job or not? I know this continuing to wait till next year, or next year, or next year is why we are in this spot.

While true, the number of QBs in the Draft with similar credentials that end up never doing **** are voluminous. Finding a franchise QB is tremendously difficult.

How many teams have one? What, 12? Definitely fewer than half the teams. Also, how one defines a franchise QB is somewhat relative.

NE, Denver, Houston?, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Giants, Dallas?, GB, NO, Detroit?, Atlanta, and as of this past season, Washington, Indy, Seattle, and SF.

Of those, several will be falling off ranging from anytime to over the next few seasons.

When you contrast that with the number entering the Draft every season, the odds of success are slim to none. On average, based on the above, about one/year enters the system. Some years it's more like the '83, '04, and '12 Drafts, but most produce none. This seems to be one of those years that may not produce one.

see bill really is a genius

Yeah, so much so that he couldn't find his way to voluntarily replacing iron feet Bledsoe with Brady, he had to have his hand forced. Then with an extremely moderate season from Brady simply lacking in stupid mistakes, he took a flyer and won out.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Cannot believe the lack of respect you all show for Todd Collins.

Technically it's "I can't believe the lack of respect for Todd Collins from this board."

I think it was the funniest as the elder griese.

Yes, the reverse logic based on the line "has some Brian Griese in him."

Damn, I thought it was Mike Glennon.

I did too.....until it said not what you're looking for in terms of arm strength. He's got a rocket. I also never saw the "greise" mentality in glennon. Not much of a gamer in my book. I think he's going to get broken in the NFL. Dude is a string bean