Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me. Any QB behind that line would suck. The running game was also putrid. I always liked Kolb.

Besides, we had nothing. I'll side with OBD on this signing all day long. Hell we've got to start somewhere. And...who knows...maybe he'll even flourish with a new start behind a better OL and a better running game.

Nothing says we cant still draft a QB either but clearly this gives us more options.

Pa, don't you know by now Bills fans only go for the 'Name' that the media loves? I mean they would B word if we got Aaron Rogers! And they are NOT going to listen to a future HOF QB tell them anything about how the OL Was that bad and the #1 reason he retired and Kolb failed.

I know,some just can`t read into things well. Football L.D.

Kolb had zero chance behind that awful Cardinal Line.

This is actually a smart move by the Bills....did i just say that :doh: I can't believe I praised Nix.

Arizona did have a very bad O line, one good WR and no TE or running game to speak of. The Cards were 32nd in offense and 32nd in rushing

The Cards thought enough of Kolb to give up a #2 pick and starting CB, and not many QB's could have played well in Arizona on that poop team.

This will give the Bills an opportunity to use that #8 pick on something other then a REACH for a QB :D

My two cents is that it is a surprisingly good signing. Kolb is a viable starting NFL QB. He has more ability than Fitz. He had no chance to show what he could do in Arizona behind the poor Cardinals' o-line even w/ Fitzgerald at WR. I'm excited about it. That being said, I think the Bills will still draft a QB in R1 or R2.

I cannot figure out why people think the Bills like Barkley i haven't found anything to substantiate that what so ever. He is actually the opposite of what we need, a weak armed QB from a city with great weather coming off a bad year who bombed his pro day and is coming off a injury. This Rob Johnson repeat will NOT be a Bill. It will never happen

I cannot figure out why people think the Bills like Barkley i haven't found anything to substantiate that what so ever. He is actually the opposite of what we need, a weak armed QB from a city with great weather coming off a bad year who bombed his pro day and is coming off a injury. This Rob Johnson repeat will NOT be a Bill. It will never happen

Rob Johnson had a stronger arm than Flutie. He was a stiff but that's not why.

Now before the onslaught starts think about it. The guy could flourish in our system. Drew Brees was an average QB on his way out in San Diego (even before the shoulder) then turned into a world beater in basically the same offense we are installing.

I am quite excited to add Kolb who can compete to be the backup if we get a star in the draft and can be our John Kitna if our QB of the future isn't game ready or isn't there until the 2014 draft.

But the Drew Brees comparison is completely unreasonable. He was coming off two Pro Bowl caliber years in a row, and his numbers were pretty similar to his first years in NO other than NO didn't have Tomlinson and his pass attempts went up.

Kolb has never had a 2000 yard or 10 touchdown season or played 10 games in a season despite being 28 years old. Those are thresholds that Tavaris Jackson and even Trent Edwards have reached, and Fitzpatrick just put up three 13+ game 3000+ yds, 23+ TD seasons in a row. I like Kolb's potential with a strong O-Line, and I like having Aaron Corp slide down the depth chart. But we can't get ahead of ourselves with expectations.

I am quite excited to add Kolb who can compete to be the backup if we get a star in the draft and can be our John Kitna if our QB of the future isn't game ready or isn't there until the 2014 draft.

But the Drew Brees comparison is completely unreasonable. He was coming off two Pro Bowl caliber years in a row, and his numbers were pretty similar to his first years in NO other than NO didn't have Tomlinson and his pass attempts went up.

Kolb has never had a 2000 yard or 10 touchdown season or played 10 games in a season despite being 28 years old. Those are thresholds that Tavaris Jackson and even Trent Edwards have reached, and Fitzpatrick just put up three 13+ game 3000+ yds, 23+ TD seasons in a row. I like Kolb's potential with a strong O-Line, and I like having Aaron Corp slide down the depth chart. But we can't get ahead of ourselves with expectations.

Thank you for sharing some reason.

He tenure is just like Rob Johnson, but even with more injuries. Waste of roster spot.

We gave up the #9 pick for Johnson and gave him a lucrative contract extension. I see no comparison between the two moves.

This time we are picking up the scraps. What do these type of players ever accomplish?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

Well, I hate it. I'm not even going to sugarcoat it, and everyone here damn well knows that they didn't want this. Even if he's not starting, it's still additional drain on the cap, and the man is not going to be our savior. If we are resigned to suck TJax can do that all on his own.

Recalling the Arizona game last year, where Kolb was the QB for Ariz, he got hurt, and never got back in the groove the rest of the season. but, he stood in there against the Bills, and he impressed me with his heart willingness to lead in tough circumstances. (talentless, almost anyhow, Cards)

The Bills could do worse.

I don't hate the move. The Bills don't believe that Geno will be there at 8 an do not like anyone enough to use the 8th pick on a QB. Someone has to play the position. They will draft a guy in round 2 or later (assuming Geno is gone) and build the rest of the team. Next year is the time to get your franchise guy.

Does this sound like desperation to anyone else?

They cut a mediocre Fitzpatrick for a mediocre Kolb?

What a franchise!

Actually, at the risk of having the naysayers rev up their flamethrowers, this is continuing to validate the sense that things are changing, IMO.

I'm not saying that Kolb will be the answer, but he has a better chance than Fitz, and comes cheaper. They are not beholden to him, so will likely take a QB early in the draft, but not feel compelled to "overspend" at #8 for one who doesn't justify the pick. QB has been an issue, and they're finally addressing it, starting with the stance they took with Fitz to either restructure and fight for the job, or they'd cut him. As for that #8 pick, signing Kolb gives them the option to go BPA or see if they can't trade back and increase the spoils.

Also, they've cut some dead wood from the roster, something they've been loathe to do in the past. They hired a coach that at least more than one team was interested in and has even been touted as a hot commodity, one with a background in offense, who then brought in an aggressive defensive coordinator who has been associated with some pretty good defenses in the last five years, and who wants to prove he wasn't Rex Ryan's puppet.

While some will point to not signing Levitre as the same old same old, given the money he got, I would have been more upset if we retained him given the position he plays. They signed a decent LB for reasonable money. They even made a pitch to bring in a TE with some big-time skill (if he recovers from the achilles, of course). It feels like there is a plan in place, and they are trying to see it through, finally.

While breaking that playoff-less streak is not likely this coming season, I don't think it will be as lousy as last season. We may actually be witnessing this team finding a direction for the first time since the late '90s.

Edited by transient

Now before the onslaught starts think about it. The guy could flourish in our system. Drew Brees was an average QB on his way out in San Diego (even before the shoulder) then turned into a world beater in basically the same offense we are installing.

Are you telling me Marrone didn't have some impute on the guy before us making him an offer?

I agree why not? Has he ever had a solid ol or a running game? He is like marrone to me unproven track record, but I am hoping for the best

I am not saying he is the answer, but it is strange to me they make a push for a guy who is a former starter, who will expect to compete or even get the job AFTER looking at all of these QB's in the draft. Then again maybe he is a backup an that is the plan, but don't be shocked if they go with Cordarrelle Patterson at #8 instead of QB now or even trade down a couple spots if they get the chance.

i guess we can have two back up qb's......just adds depth...lol. been a fan for over 20 yrs...bout have my foot out the door

Like drafting Nassib?I`ll take Kolb.

we know what we are getting with kolb....and bills still took him.

I also think that this is a good move. The guy has some talent and he really did show some heart behind that awful Cardinal offensive line. He definitely is worth a shot.

The added benefit is that the Bills do not have to reach in any round for a QB. They can stick to their board. If there is a QB available that they have rated highly enough to pick where they pick in any particular round (whether it be the first, second . . . or any other round), they Bills can pick him. If not, move on and pick the best player available.