Cannot believe the lack of respect for Levitre from this board

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

per Rotoworld.....Free agency's top guard is off the market. Levitre graded out as the NFL's top pass-blocking guard last season, per Pro Football Focus, and was also part of a Bills rushing unit that ranked third in yards-per-carry (5.0). He's just 26 years old and fills a massive problem area for the Titans. Chris Johnson will have a harder time throwing his offensive line under the bus next season and Jake Locker will certainly have more time in the pocket. Titans agreed to terms with OG Andy Levitre on a six-year, $46.8 million contract with a $10.5 million signing bonus.

Right, because Johnson's never done that before, so it will have to be because of Levitre. Forget the fact that in Johnson's "down" year in 2012, he still went for over 1,200 yards. ...

All I know is that after he ran for over 2000 yards in '09, both of his Gs became household names over night with all the All Pro and Pro Bowl honors they garnered. You remember Eugene Amano and Jake Scott, don't you?

Seriously though, as I said yesterday, every time Spiller is dropped for a loss and/or Chris Johnson busts a long run, the Levitre revisionists will be going crazy on this BB.

GO BILLS!!!

per Rotoworld.....Free agency's top guard is off the market. Levitre graded out as the NFL's top pass-blocking guard last season, per Pro Football Focus, and was also part of a Bills rushing unit that ranked third in yards-per-carry (5.0). He's just 26 years old and fills a massive problem area for the Titans. Chris Johnson will have a harder time throwing his offensive line under the bus next season and Jake Locker will certainly have more time in the pocket. Titans agreed to terms with OG Andy Levitre on a six-year, $46.8 million contract with a $10.5 million signing bonus.

The pass blocking stats out of context are a little misleading because Fitz threw and throws so fast on the vast, vast majority of plays. So it's far, far easier, stats wise, for a Bills pass blocker to keep his man off the QB before the ball is thrown. That's not to say Levitre is not very good, he is. But you must take that into consideration when thinking of those kinds of stats. And I like the stuff PFF puts out.

lots of different ways to build a team......I just reject the thinking that the "guard" position is any less important than any other position on offense with the exception of QB. I also reject the idea of letting go of the NFL's top pass-blocking guard last season (per pro football focus) so that money can be used on 2 Manny Lawson type players. I subscribe to the 1 bird in the hand is worth 3 in the bush rule. I know ive got an absolute stud in levitre......I have no idea what's coming in Lawson and others. I would have put my money in the sure thing (levitre) even if I overpaid a little. also when it comes to allocating resources building a team, I put my money on #1- franchise QB, #2- Front 7's both sides(O&D lineman, te & lb) and then last #3- skill positions (rb, wr, db). the bills have used their first pick in the draft on a skill position in 8 of the last 10 drafts.....THIS IS WHY WE SUCK.

.......the bills have used their first pick in the draft on a skill position in 8 of the last 10 drafts.....THIS IS WHY WE SUCK.

Being fair to the concept that perhaps we are changing......the 2 non skill position picks came in the last 4 drafts.

When we lost 2 left tackles, Peters and the guy who could decide how to spell his name (so why should I look up the spelling), everyone was going crazy. We all said Peters was the best left tackle since Ballard. (that was crappola)

Neither of those guys could stay on the field, but Levitre since day one walk on the field into position and stayed there.

We have significantly weakened our team because of Brandon's budget. We do not have a cap issue, only a Ralph spending issue.

Now not only do we need to fill our LB positions, and QB now we begin the tearing down of the Oline. We have a poor D line to start thanks to money man Mario deciding not to play with his limp wrist.

How can a team get better when it tears itself apart every year.

We should all be irate about Levitre.

I cannot find one strength for this team...except the fans.

I think it is a key loss, but with all the money locked up with Mario it was going to be difficult to keep Levitre from testing the market.

I am upset that they did not appear to make him an offer as he has been the most stable lineman of the group and I thought he improved each year - particularly his leverage and strength. I do think that if they had pulled the trigger on letting Fitz go earlier they would have made an offer to Levitre, but there is still a good chance he would have tested the market - who wouldn't. He was rated on many sites as a top free agent acquisition and it was his time to cash in. He has been through a lot of coaching changes and disappointment here so I am pretty sure we were going to lose him one way or another.

There is no way the Bills were going to match what he was going to get on the open market, but if there was a year to hit the refresh on o-linemen via the draft this would be it. There is a good crop of quality young guards and tackles coming out of college and we should be able to nab one unless we go all in reaching for a quasi-talented QB.

I wish him continued success and thank him for all the solid play. I have absolutely no negative things to say about Levitre time here, that is really a rare thing for me when a player walks away from the team for more $$$, and says everything that needs to be said about Levitre's time as a Bill.

I think the bottom line is that if they upgrade at this position or hold the line with a much more cost-efficient option, they're going to be OK. It's the fact that the Bills' track record on this is spotty that has me worried. That, and the really unsavory option of spending a #8 pick on a replacement guard. That is a move that a better-positioned team like the Niners can afford, but I don't think the Bills can do that just yet.

Now, they have indeed unearthed some gems with later cuts and scrap-heap picks like Urbik and Pears, and they may be able to do this again. The Giants have definitely located decent linemen without spending all their top draft picks on them.

You must have missed this post from yesterday on page 5 of the thread:

From PFF themselves:

Andy Levitre (OG) to TEN: 6-year, $46.8m deal

"We like Levitre. He was our ninth ranked guard and can really hold up in the pass blocking game. But is he a player that is going to be the difference between the Titans winning and losing games? In all honesty no. He’s not a difference maker in the run game, and while good in space, he’s getting considerably more money than guards like Evan Mathis and Ben Grubbs who are just far better players. The Titans got their man, but at the end of the day, they’ve spent a lot of money over a long period without pushing their team on."

Pass protection is only one aspect of the job. It's about being a COMPLETE player. For top 4 money, you better be COMPLETE.

GO BILLS!!!

You must have missed this post from yesterday on page 5 of the thread:

From PFF themselves:

Andy Levitre (OG) to TEN: 6-year, $46.8m deal

"We like Levitre. He was our ninth ranked guard and can really hold up in the pass blocking game. But is he a player that is going to be the difference between the Titans winning and losing games? In all honesty no. He’s not a difference maker in the run game, and while good in space, he’s getting considerably more money than guards like Evan Mathis and Ben Grubbs who are just far better players. The Titans got their man, but at the end of the day, they’ve spent a lot of money over a long period without pushing their team on."

Pass protection is only one aspect of the job. It's about being a COMPLETE player. For top 4 money, you better be COMPLETE.

GO BILLS!!!

If the Titans can over pay for Levitre......I don't see why we couldn't. 0:)

If the Titans can over pay for Levitre......I don't see why we couldn't. 0:)

It's like I said yesterday when I paraphrased a definition of "overpaid" I heard once. Essentially, you overpaid for a player if it prevents you from signing other players to help your team improve. That may be true for the Bills but not for the Titans.

GO BILLS!!!

It's like I said yesterday when I paraphrased a definition of "overpaid" I heard once. Essentially, you overpaid for a player if it prevents you from signing other players to help your team improve. That may be true for the Bills but not for the Titans.

GO BILLS!!!

I was being facetious.......but I'm glad you explained for the countless posters who don't seem to understand how the cap works. :thumbsup:

I was being facetious.......but I'm glad you explained for the countless posters who don't seem to understand how the cap works. :thumbsup:

I had a hunch but I just couldn't help my over-officious self.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree, while the line these past 2 seasons has been good in general at opening lanes for the RBs and protecting Fitz (even though it helps a ton that he throws it under 3 seconds everytime) they NEVER were able to pick up short yardage on the ground.

This argument again.

Did you not watch the Bills last season?

Yes, the offense was designed for Fitz to get rid of the ball fast, but that did not happen on every down.

There were numerous times this past season when Fitz had all day to throw and the O-Line, including Levitre, gave him that time to throw it. Even when the Bills did not use maximum protection Fitz still had time to throw.

This argument again.

Did you not watch the Bills last season?

Yes, the offense was designed for Fitz to get rid of the ball fast, but that did not happen on every down.

There were numerous times this past season when Fitz had all day to throw and the O-Line, including Levitre, gave him that time to throw it. Even when the Bills did not use maximum protection Fitz still had time to throw.

True, but on the vast majority of plays this wasn't true. He threw very quick. When each play has equal value in a grading system, and he throws very quick in 400 of 500 plays (I'm just tossing numbers out there but not far off, IMO), it shows up in dramatic form on the stats.

I can't believe the OP asks why there is no respect for Levitre when we have all posted for the better part of 4 weeks that he and Byrd should be re-signed. Then, to top it off, Levitre says the Bills haven't contacted him with an offer. Obviously, they knew they could not play ball with the ransom he was asking.

Respect??? I have shown respect by saying he was a quality guard; but I have yet to hear him say, tweet or write in sanskrit how he liked Buffalo and thanks to the fans. I assume he is now gorging himself on some quality Memphis Bar-B-Q with sauce dripping all over his face. I don't feel sorry for him.

I agree.

I don't think disrespect is the right word to use in poster's attitude towards Levitre.

What gets me is how some poster's here appear to think that Levitre's departure is not that big a loss, rationalizing that Offensive Guards are a dime a dozen, and that it's the easiest position to place.

To me that is astounding. For a long time now, specifically from 2000-2010, the Offensive Line for the Bills has been a mess. Now for the past couple of seasons the O-Line has become a strength, and I hate seeing it broken apart.

That is my issue. Maybe the Bills did not want to spend that much on Levitre, or maybe Levitre wanted to cash in no matter where he ended up. Fine. Things like that happen.

I hate to see it, because I think the Bills lost a good player, and now have a need to fill at LG, which has been made a bigger issue now that they have also lost Chad Rinehardt. Who does that leave us with right now? David Snow? Colin Brown? Zebrie Sanders? Keith Williams?

Good Grief!

I agree.

I don't think disrespect is the right word to use in poster's attitude towards Levitre.

What gets me is how some poster's here appear to think that Levitre's departure is not that big a loss, rationalizing that Offensive Guards are a dime a dozen, and that it's the easiest position to place.

To me that is astounding. For a long time now, specifically from 2000-2010, the Offensive Line for the Bills has been a mess. Now for the past couple of seasons the O-Line has become a strength, and I hate seeing it broken apart.

That is my issue. Maybe the Bills did not want to spend that much on Levitre, or maybe Levitre wanted to cash in no matter where he ended up. Fine. Things like that happen.

I hate to see it, because I think the Bills lost a good player, and now have a need to fill at LG, which has been made a bigger issue now that they have also lost Chad Rinehardt. Who does that leave us with right now? David Snow? Colin Brown? Zebrie Sanders? Keith Williams?

Good Grief!

Well said.

Levitre was a good and durable player, no argument there. Was he worth $8 million a year? Not likely. Tennessee overpaid for him and I'm happy that the Bills did not. They could easily draft a guard that will be every bit as good as Levitre and pay a fraction of the cost. They can use that extra money to fill other holes on a team that has plenty of holes to fill. i think Levitre is a good player, but this team has too many needs to commit that much money to a guard.

Theoretically, yes that could happen. But no one here can guarantee that.

Wood's not worth all that money either if he's hurt every season. Shouldn't have to spend 100 Million for a decent O-Line

Shouldn't have to spend 100 Million to field an entire team, but what can you do?

Back when you were attending the Draft in your diapers. :D

:lol::P

Theoretically, yes that could happen. But no one here can guarantee that.

Shouldn't have to spend 100 Million to field an entire team, but what can you do?

:lol::P

Except that they should because if they don't they will be in violation of the minimum spending requirement which is approx. $112m for this upcoming season.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree.

Good Grief!

Amen. The only positions I was confident about were Byrd, RB, Oline, Dline,SJ. We were swiss cheese before the offensive line was eviscerated. Why create another gaping hole? And by drastically weakening our oline, we are now jeopardizing our strength at RB(and Spillers health). Also any QB walking into this **** show will be running for their lives looking for a qualified #2 WR to throw to. Spare me "we still have the draft and free agency is not over". There are way too many holes. Nix has been here 3 years. Any team can be turned around in 3 years- its an inditement on Nix. We are not improving, we are regressing. Same old Bills, same old Bills ways

That's all well and good, but Polian also had certainty at the most important position on the field, plus Bruce Smith while he was in Buffalo. It's a lot easier to build out the rest of the team, and to "slot" the other guys when you're anchored by Hall of Famers. If you lose somebody, you can always say, "sure, but I still have Manning (or Kelly)." Not downplaying his achievements, but still. I think the Bills let go of a guy who will now get All Pro recognition. We'll see whom is proven right there.

There are certain player that are difficult to find---so you sign and keep them whenever possible.

pass rushing LB/DE. blind spot OT, shut down iso CB are three positions that you pay a high price for.

Guard are easily replaceable. I look at Guards as the hockey's version of 4th lines, or baseballs version of utility players.....they are easily replaceable.

in terms of OL salaies....blind side OT> other OT> Center> Guards> utility OL players

There are certain player that are difficult to find---so you sign and keep them whenever possible.

pass rushing LB/DE. blind spot OT, shut down iso CB are three positions that you pay a high price for.

Guard are easily replaceable. I look at Guards as the hockey's version of 4th lines, or baseballs version of utility players.....they are easily replaceable.

in terms of OL salaies....blind side OT> other OT> Center> Guards> utility OL players

I dont know sh about football. (Actually I do)

I agree with the bolded part.

The only stupid part is that we may use our #1 draft for a guard now..... At least that's what some experts believe we will do.. Nfl.com mock central. Stupid or funny? I can't tell the difference.

If we had the cap space it is my opinion that we should have resigned him regardless of the high asking price.

Repeat the mantra.

It does little to hide a couple of facts. The Bills spent a lot of time trying to fill the LG position after Ruben Brown and they even wasted a ton of money on the likes of Derrick Dockery (which indirectly led to the Jason Peters situation and Eugene Parker facing off with Russ Brandon). Secondly, the Bills, despite knowing that they were probably going to lose Levitre, had no one in the bag as a replacement. Compare this to the Patriots failure to re-sign Wes Welker and how quickly they snapped up the next guy in line. Heck, the Bills even lost out on their own backup LG while the better guards were getting snapped up. "Easily replaced" is a good sound bite, but it implies there actually is a replacement.

And, before we go down the path of "the draft has lots of OL talent", the Bills simultaneously put themselves behind the 8 ball in the QB position. If they throw all their draft chips to chase Geno Smith up the draft board, when do they tap this OL talent?

In Buddy, we trust. B-)

Repeat the mantra.

It does little to hide a couple of facts. The Bills spent a lot of time trying to fill the LG position after Ruben Brown and they even wasted a ton of money on the likes of Derrick Dockery (which indirectly led to the Jason Peters situation and Eugene Parker facing off with Russ Brandon). Secondly, the Bills, despite knowing that they were probably going to lose Levitre, had no one in the bag as a replacement. Compare this to the Patriots failure to re-sign Wes Welker and how quickly they snapped up the next guy in line. Heck, the Bills even lost out on their own backup LG while the better guards were getting snapped up. "Easily replaced" is a good sound bite, but it implies there actually is a replacement.

And, before we go down the path of "the draft has lots of OL talent", the Bills simultaneously put themselves behind the 8 ball in the QB position. If they throw all their draft chips to chase Geno Smith up the draft board, when do they tap this OL talent?

In Buddy, we trust. B-)

So then there is nothing the Bills can do at LG at this point that would ease your concern I guess.

GO BILLS!!!

So then there is nothing the Bills can do at LG at this point that would ease your concern I guess.

GO BILLS!!!

:lol: They could pull off a trade for a QB. That would address a gaping hole.

But yeah, kicking back, saying "Buddy has a plan", taking another hit on the bong, and "knowing" they'll make a bunch of great moves seems highly likely.

Super Bowl!

I mean really! People complaining about Levitre's departure. Then, to top it off, they start a thread whining about the "loss" of Chad Rhinehart (Rhinehard) (Rhynehardt) (Rindehardtt). Now some are suggesting we look into Willie's Colon, for crying out loud. Yet no love for CBrown...dude's a mauler! Give him a chance!

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but I actually agree with you and I posted something to this effect yesterday. If you trust Buddy picking up mid-round draft picks from other teams' practice squads with good measurables (see: Urbik, Rinehart, Chandler) then there's no reason to think Colin Brown won't be more than servicable. David Snow looked decent at the end of last year too. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Bills' OL is gonna be just fine and people will realize that Nix made the right call not re-signing Levitre.

I mean really! People complaining about Levitre's departure. Then, to top it off, they start a thread whining about the "loss" of Chad Rhinehart (Rhinehard) (Rhynehardt) (Rindehardtt). Now some are suggesting we look into Willie's Colon, for crying out loud. Yet no love for CBrown...dude's a mauler! Give him a chance!

I see what you did there :)

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but I actually agree with you and I posted something to this effect yesterday. If you trust Buddy picking up mid-round draft picks from other teams' practice squads with good measurables (see: Urbik, Rinehart, Chandler) then there's no reason to think Colin Brown won't be more than servicable. David Snow looked decent at the end of last year too. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Bills' OL is gonna be just fine and people will realize that Nix made the right call not re-signing Levitre.

ill keep saying it - interior lineman have been handled very well so far. it gives me a degree of faith that there was a plan in place and it didnt include levitre at 8m and that it may still be ok.