Chris Kelsay Announces retirement

mrags

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially if we don't bring by Kyle Moore, I'm thinking we go either OLB or DE in the 1st round. Anderson is still a question mark, Mario is injury prone

With or without Kyle Moore, the Bills don't have an 3-4 OLB on the roster. But they don't have a NT or ILBs either and they need help at QB, WR and CB as well so they could go anywhere with their top pick.

Crap, now who do I hate on the team? Especially if Fitz isn't the starter anymore. Why don't these guys think of me when they make these decisions?

Potential top 3 future scape goats:

1 - Leodis (If he stays and actually plays corner)

2 - Fred Jackson (for taking carries away from CJ)

3 - TJ (for his stone hands and high draft pick)

Honorable Mention goes to Mark Anderson if he doesn't earn some of that money

You're doing it wrong.

Sincerely,

Aaron Williams

At least now we won't have to listen to any more bitchin about Kelsay I just wonder who the Bills fans will pull up to take his place ?

To add i just came from youtube & watched the Kelsay interception /touchdown he made off Romo in that monday night game & i bet all you haters were high fiving Kelsay that night .

Edited by T master

Kelsay was not a great player but he was a classy dude and he goes out as one, too. Compare to Schobel, a much better player, who dragged his wishy-washy retirement considerations into August and hurt the team's ability to make decisions on the defense.

I am not dying inside for Chris Kelsay that he didn't get to play in the playoffs - he did in fact win the lottery as WEO put it. But I sure wish he had gotten to play in them.

Happy trails, and on to the next one. It's nice that the team gets some cap room and flexibility out of this, even if it does create a "hole." For me, this is Carrington's chance to step up.

Crap, now who do I hate on the team? Especially if Fitz isn't the starter anymore. Why don't these guys think of me when they make these decisions?

Potential top 3 future scape goats:

1 - Leodis (If he stays and actually plays corner)

2 - Fred Jackson (for taking carries away from CJ)

3 - TJ (for his stone hands and high draft pick)

Honorable Mention goes to Mark Anderson if he doesn't earn some of that money

you have been paying attention haven't you ? : )

I'm starting to think. What if Buffalo let Levitre go, move Glenn to guard(he was highly regarded as a guard coming out of college. Then with the first pick the Bills get a top LT. That would put an immense amount of money in the Bills coffers for FA signings. They could literally fix every weak position on the team with the possible exception being QB.

I will never understand the hate for this guy. I'v been on this forum a very long time and the bashing of kelsay was some of the most ignorant and silly stuff I have read. Even in this topic, some of you can't believe that a 10 year veteran that has had some injury and health issues would retire on his on terms with a new coaching staff coming to town. No, you're sure he was nudged out. He was overpaid, but who cares. We were never at the cap and he never prevented us from signing anyone. He as a solid defensive end, on many terrible defenses and awful defensive lines. He was hard working and did his job well, he will have to be replaced.

Thanks for the years!

Kelsay was obviously a good guy, leader, an teammate. However he was simply a mediocre football player. The negative attitude towards him would probably be non existant if he was paid like a backup / situational player. When you get paid top dollar like an impact player I expect an impact not simply showing up and giving it your all. I understand its not Kelsays fault that they threw a bunch of $ at him or asked him to do things that were not consistent with his skill set. I wish him and his family the best. However, I promise you my TV and the people that sit in front of us at the Ralph are glad that they won't have to hear me curse him anymore after one of his famous "missed containment cutback" or "close to QB but QB simply steps up" plays after he he got into the backfield (which the guy could actually do).

I will never understand the hate for this guy. I'v been on this forum a very long time and the bashing of kelsay was some of the most ignorant and silly stuff I have read. Even in this topic, some of you can't believe that a 10 year veteran that has had some injury and health issues would retire on his on terms with a new coaching staff coming to town. No, you're sure he was nudged out. He was overpaid, but who cares. We were never at the cap and he never prevented us from signing anyone. He as a solid defensive end, on many terrible defenses and awful defensive lines. He was hard working and did his job well, he will have to be replaced.

Thanks for the years!

I don't think people's issue was with Kelsay himself, or his play. He was exemplary of the poor management by the Bills; overpaying mediocre players while letting good ones walk, while staying under or at the cap, was the team's forte during his time on the team.

Thanks for the years!

This is why the Bills have sucked. Rewarding mediocrity for simply showing up and being the good soldier. If a guy is making 6 mil per he better damn well make an impact routinely or hit the road, whether he's a living saint or not. The Bills don't have the luxury of keeping "feel good" guys around, let alone give them multiple contracts that are probably double what they would get anywhere else.

I'd feel a lot better knowing they were going to cut him anyway. Everyone here is assuming as much and I guess that is the logical conclusion but he was supposed to have been cut by a couple of new regimes previously. After some puzzling moves already (Nelson, Barnett), I'm skeptical.

this really came to mind. Bowe could easily be had with the savings if Kelsey and McGee.

Not to hijack the Klassy Kris Kelsay thread......but KC has a new GM a new HC and most notably a new QB....so unless Bowe hates BBQ and the Chiefs are cheap, I see no reason he would leave there for Buffalo to play for an unproven coach and Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tarvaris Jackson. Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

I don't think people's issue was with Kelsay himself, or his play. He was exemplary of the poor management by the Bills; overpaying mediocre players while letting good ones walk, while staying under or at the cap, was the team's forte during his time on the team.

EXACTLY. And this point has been made many times......yet someone is always there with the "I can't understand why Bills fans hate Chris Kelsay".

They don't hate Chris Kelsay.....they hate what he represented as an overpaid, mediocre producing player who was retained in favor of much better players. It's that simple.

Kelsay was obviously a good guy, leader, an teammate. However he was simply a mediocre football player. The negative attitude towards him would probably be non existant if he was paid like a backup / situational player. When you get paid top dollar like an impact player I expect an impact not simply showing up and giving it your all. I understand its not Kelsays fault that they threw a bunch of $ at him or asked him to do things that were not consistent with his skill set. I wish him and his family the best. However, I promise you my TV and the people that sit in front of us at the Ralph are glad that they won't have to hear me curse him anymore after one of his famous "missed containment cutback" or "close to QB but QB simply steps up" plays after he he got into the backfield (which the guy could actually do).

Top DEs make in the $12 million per year range. Kelsay made $6 mil per year. Whats so out of whack?

This is why the Bills have sucked. Rewarding mediocrity for simply showing up and being the good soldier. If a guy is making 6 mil per he better damn well make an impact routinely or hit the road, whether he's a living saint or not. The Bills don't have the luxury of keeping "feel good" guys around, let alone give them multiple contracts that are probably double what they would get anywhere else.

I'm overpaid. When I go in to my boss's office for my next raise, I'm going to tell him "No thanks, I think I'm already making enough." Blaming Kelsay for that is foolish. Like I said, us paying Kelsay (who again was above average) never kept of from resigning people. When we let people go, it was personnel decisions. McGee over Greer. Not we can't keep greer as we gotta pay that kelsay! We didn't reward mediocre players. Or else the whole team would be be overpaid. Kelsay wasn't just a feel good soldier in the locker room. He was a consistent solid, defensive end who played his role each and every sunday.

Can someone tell me who this good player was that we let go because we were paying kelsay? Badolbeelz? Ny33?

Edited by Numark

Top DEs make in the $12 million per year range. Kelsay made $6 mil per year. Whats so out of whack?

I'll bite, and say that the real problem is that Kelsay was getting that money while they "couldn't afford" to keep Jabari Greer or any number of other players who went on to greener pastures.

We will win the super bowl now. If you listen to people on the board kelsay and his contract were the source of all our problems. Vegas odds of bills winning super bowl just went from 200-1 to 1-1.

No, Kelsay was one of many problems. He was an average player on bad teams

Thanks for the years!

^

yep

I'll bite, and say that the real problem is that Kelsay was getting that money while they "couldn't afford" to keep Jabari Greer or any number of other players who went on to greener pastures.

We chose to sign McGee over Greer. This wasn't because money was tied up to Kelsay. Blame McGee or the front office. Not kelsay

We chose to sign McGee over Greer. This wasn't because money was tied up to Kelsay. Blame McGee or the front office. Not kelsay

Well, that, and they had drafted McKelvin as the heir apparent that year. Just another good example of the FO misallocating resources, especially in the draft. I hope they don't make that same mistake this year and lose McKelvin only to draft his replacement.