Chris Kelsay Announces retirement

mrags

At least now we won't have to listen to any more bitchin about Kelsay I just wonder who the Bills fans will pull up to take his place ?

To add i just came from youtube & watched the Kelsay interception /touchdown he made off Romo in that monday night game & i bet all you haters were high fiving Kelsay that night .

oh please!!!

Every player has a decent game. Kelsey's were very few and very far between. He wasnt good, was overpaid, and underperformed his entire career with the exception of a handful of games.

And yes, I was cheering him on that night, because I will cheer for any player that makes plays. Give credit where it is due. Don't give it for underperformance.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that, and they had drafted McKelvin as the heir apparent that year. Just another good example of the FO misallocating resources, especially in the draft. I hope they don't make that same mistake this year and lose McKelvin only to draft his replacement.

he is a free agent isn't he ? But Buddy said ..........

No, Kelsay was one of many problems. He was an average player on bad teams

Kelsay was always a liability against the run. From day one. And for his career, he averaged only 3.5 sacks every 16 games so he was not anywhere near exceptional at the thing he did best.

I often wonder if the people that liked Kelsay so much actually watched him. He was not an effective player.

I'm overpaid. When I go in to my boss's office for my next raise, I'm going to tell him "No thanks, I think I'm already making enough." Blaming Kelsay for that is foolish. Like I said, us paying Kelsay (who again was above average) never kept of from resigning people. When we let people go, it was personnel decisions. McGee over Greer. Not we can't keep greer as we gotta pay that kelsay! We didn't reward mediocre players. Or else the whole team would be be overpaid. Kelsay wasn't just a feel good soldier in the locker room. He was a consistent solid, defensive end who played his role each and every sunday.

Can someone tell me who this good player was that we let go because we were paying kelsay? Badolbeelz? Ny33?

As someone said above, nobody is "blaming kelsay" for inking the deal. Myself and many others just hate what it represented. Kelsay was average at best. If you think he was an above average player, you should tune into some other games during the season. It's been so long since we have had a good team, we've forgotten what it looks like.

Marginal starters/backups do not get paid half of what star players get paid. They get a fraction....sometimes 10-20%.

Thank you. Does anyone in their right mind think a team like the pats, steelers, ravens would have given a contract to kelsay worth even half as much as his last one?

Chris Kelsay was never as bad as this board would have made him seem. At times, he played better than most of our players on D. That being said, he certainly didn't warrant the contract he received. But he can't be blamed for signing it.

I hope his neck is alright and that he has a comfortable retirement. Thanks for saving us some cash in the process, Chris. God speed.

But, man - do we have some roster spots to fill after this offseason! This is going to be a big year for Undrafted Free Agents making the roster.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I'm starting to think. What if Buffalo let Levitre go, move Glenn to guard(he was highly regarded as a guard coming out of college. Then with the first pick the Bills get a top LT. That would put an immense amount of money in the Bills coffers for FA signings. They could literally fix every weak position on the team with the possible exception being QB.

"They could literally fix every weak" what? :huh:

I'm starting to think. What if Buffalo let Levitre go, move Glenn to guard(he was highly regarded as a guard coming out of college. Then with the first pick the Bills get a top LT. That would put an immense amount of money in the Bills coffers for FA signings. They could literally fix every weak position on the team with the possible exception being QB.

I'd rather trade Byrd for some picks and re sign Levitre. It's much harder to get a talented G than a safety.

Good guy and very average football player. If the Bills were the Steelers, he would be praised for being an unsung player. But instead, he sums up this last decade of Bills football. Meh. Sad part is, he's probably one of TD's best draft picks. Wish him the best and thanks for being a standup guy.

Chris Kelsay was never as bad as this board would have made him seem.

So much handwringing about the treatment on the message board of a pass rusher who averaged 3.5 sacks per 16 for 10 years and was a liability against the run.

WONDER WHAT HE'LL DO with the undeserved millions he took out of Buffalo.

Move to suburban Atlanta and build a McMansion in the same gated community as Jon Koncak?

It's better than the 17 pages of why Geno Smith or Matt Barkley should be the next quarterback or Alex Smith was traded or Matt Cassel should be given another chance

Or the Mother of them All, 19 pages on the Bills not tendering David Nelson.

I could never hate the guy despite how the team tried to get me to with that crazy contract.

LOL

Chris kelsay? What position did he play?

The buffoon cop in the Charlie Chaplin movies who always clumsily ran in the opposite direction of the criminal.

Tough break though for anyone who bought a Mario Williams #94 jersey. :(

LOL

To add i just came from youtube & watched the Kelsay interception /touchdown he made off Romo in that monday night game & i bet all you haters were high fiving Kelsay that night .

You're right. Kelsay made about $50 million in his career and only made one memorable play.

Top DEs make in the $12 million per year range. Kelsay made $6 mil per year. Whats so out of whack?

I don't know. How much do really bad defensive ends make?

Look. I almost never slander players and I understand that Kelsay was a hard worker and a good guy.

But he sucked as a player IMO. Sucked. And he was the most visible symbol of the team's ineptitude. In each of the two previous regime changes, Kelsay was actually given a lucrative contract extension.

Forgive me for being happy that this new regime will go forward without Chris Kelsay. Keep in mind that it was announced by the Bills on February 11th that Kelsay had been cleared to begin working out. JW mentioned that Kelsay was in Buffalo and was hoping to play this year.

I think we should take this as a real positive sign that the new head coach and defensive coordinator might actually know what they're doing. There's clear evidence that Kelsay was shown the door and took the opportunity to retire.

I'm happy for Chris that he's retired as a wealthy man. He doesn't seem the sort to blow $50 million in career earnings.

I'll sign up for that.

I'm very professional and have a great work ethic too. And I'm a great teammate.

you and me both brother !

lets let him return to Nebraska or some darn nice farm out there and let him be at peace.

He was a team player and he kept his job. He has retired.

Lets wish him well and move on.

So.. Next. We are at need for a DE now along with the other holes Marrone has created.

Anderson we have no idea about and Moore is yet to be signed.

I have concerns :sick:

At least now we won't have to listen to any more bitchin about Kelsay I just wonder who the Bills fans will pull up to take his place ?

Aaron Williams is the leading candidate. If McKelvin ends up a starter, it will be him.

So.. Next. We are at need for a DE now along with the other holes Marrone has created.

Anderson we have no idea about and Moore is yet to be signed.

I have concerns :sick:

Me too but also I'm excited.

Barnett, McGee, George Wilson, and Chris Kelsay are gone and yet I have a firm conviction that the Bills 2013 defense will be significantly better than the 2012 version.

From the team's statement:

“Chris has been the consummate professional throughout his career and we will miss him," said general manager Buddy Nix. "He always gave 100 percent, regardless of the situation and regardless of the score.

I FINALLY get why Kelsay wasn't good enough here. Turns out he was only giving 100% as compared to the customary 110%:

My guess is he was told he would be cut and decided to retire

Sounds likely. The Bills didn't have a place for an overpaid underachiever under the new regime. I think one of the best things about the coaching change is the re-evaluation of personnel by relatively objective new people. He had no future with the Bills and he made a ton of money while with the Bills. Although I hold no animosity against him personally or professionally, I am glad to see him go.

Chris Kelsay 9th in franchise history in sacks,8th in forced fumbles,and tied for first in career safeties. Thanks for everything Chris,and best of luck in your retirement.

so what your saying is, besides the career of Bruce Smith, Bennett, Talley, Paup, Williams, and Washington we've had absolutely horrible defensive linemen and LBs?

so what your saying is, besides the career of Bruce Smith, Bennett, Talley, Paup, Williams, and Washington we've had absolutely horrible defensive linemen and LBs?

You forgot Schobel.

it's about time! Now if we can just get rid of Kelsay...oh wait....

You know, we are down a defensive end, a linebacker, safety and two receivers. We may lose a left guard and a free safety. That's a lot of bodies to replace. I sure hope the boys have a plan.

I don't think they do. They've got their big contracts.....now they can sit back and relax for 3 years before retiring into the media.

Thank you, but NO, I Didnt.

I can understand that some may feel he was perhaps over-rated(by other Bills fans, not media).....but 78 Sacks(2nd Bills all-time) & 2 pro-bowls.

He was a good player......certainly not "absolutely horrible" as leaving him out of your original post would suggest.

You also forgot Phil Hansen.

I can understand that some may feel he was perhaps over-rated(by other Bills fans, not media).....but 78 Sacks(2nd Bills all-time) & 2 pro-bowls.

He was a good player......certainly not "absolutely horrible" as leaving him out of your original post would suggest.

he was over rated IMO. The stats show that he wasnt horrible, your correct. But that doesn't mean he was very good. Most people that know football probably couldn't tell you who he was unless they were Bills fans. He was not feared.

Hanson was another blue collar, lunch pail, high motor guy that nobody outside of Buffalo ever heard of or cared about.

The fact that we honor these mediocre players is exactly whats wrong with Buffalo Bills fans. We're stupefied when it comes to real talent.

Edited by mrags

he was over rated IMO. The stats show that he wasnt horrible, your correct. But that doesn't mean he was very good. Most people that know football probably couldn't tell you who he was unless they were Bills fans. He was not feared.

Hanson was another blue collar, lunch pail, high motor guy that nobody outside of Buffalo ever heard of or cared about.

Both over and done with now.....I'll agree to disagree.