Does anybody watch any of the NFL pregame shows???

I am 42 and a father of two boys. I have no time for any of the shows anymore but happened to catch Michael Irvin, Rich Eisen, and Kurt Warner standing on a fake field trying to expain why wearing gloves in the cold works. I have not seen Berman or Terry or Marino, or Sanders in several years but catch little bits while watching Sunday Ticket. Are any of them any good? Am I just old? Everytime I catch a shot of them on NFL Sunday ticket they are alway touching each other, laughing over the guy talking, or just yelling non-sense about clothes.

I only watch if the Bills are playing a prime-time game because they'll be talking about them. Otherwise on Sunday mornings I watch the Fantasy Football show on ESPN2 since they can give me info I can use, and listen to the Bills pregame show on WGR.

I'm usually on the computer dealing with fantasy football stuff during the regular season and really have no desire to watch any of the pregame shows, anyway. In the "old days" before so much info was available online and via all of the other technology of today, I liked watching them. That may also have had something to do with the fact that the Bills were a good, competitive football team. I didn't watch today, either. Instead, I watched my alma mater beat St. Bonaventure in college hoops. :)

Those pregame shows remind me of The View, but they have 5 men talking at the same time instead of 5 women.

I can't stand watching those shows.

I can't think of a better way to describe the pregame shows. You nailed it.

However, the question that comes to mind is this: how long have been watching The View?

i don't watch the pre-game show but i'm a devoted follower of the playoff post-game shows. especially when they feature jared shilling subway's newest turkeytopia concoction.

6 inch turkey breast and black forest ham with spinach anyone? coach cowher and boomer agree that it's the bomb-diggity!

Edited by Dirtbag

I'm usually on the computer dealing with fantasy football stuff during the regular season and really have no desire to watch any of the pregame shows, anyway. In the "old days" before so much info was available online and via all of the other technology of today, I liked watching them. That may also have had something to do with the fact that the Bills were a good, competitive football team. I didn't watch today, either. Instead, I watched my alma mater beat St. Bonaventure in college hoops. :)

Yah, the increase in options today plus the Bills sucking plus the shows sucking = no reason to watch.

Those pregame shows remind me of The View, but they have 5 men talking at the same time instead of 5 women.

I like em...they are entertaining and plus they lend some insight and nuances to the game. They are fun shows.

Saw that coming.

The only one I can watch is the Fox pre game show, the others are just unwatchable. I used to always watch Countdown with Berman but since it went to 2 hours and added 87 people to it one of which is Chris Carter who might be the most annoying person on the planet i can't evn tune in anymore. The NBC and NFL personalities are incredibly boring.

I know some people don't like him but I loved the Frank Caliendo segment on Fox. Replacing him with clown they have now was a huge mistake.

Edited by Max997

Total waste of time. Nothing important is said. Too many boring ex coaches, ex players who butcher the English language and lame attempts at humor. Rather listen to the pregame radio shows. That way I can make thru Mass and not nod off.

Not as good as they used to be. I haven't watched in years sometimes have it on as background noise as i do other stuff

exactly, not to sound like an old fogey, which i am, but 20-25 years ago, the pre-game shows were watchable, stuck to the match-ups, weather, etc.. now it is pop culture B S.. totally unwatchable.. like someone mentioned, standing on a fake field, is really tough to take..

exactly, not to sound like an old fogey, which i am, but 20-25 years ago, the pre-game shows were watchable, stuck to the match-ups, weather, etc.. now it is pop culture B S.. totally unwatchable.. like someone mentioned, standing on a fake field, is really tough to take..

Yup, I'm also an old fogey and I cant take the pre-game shows anymore. During the season I do like the radio call pre-game of the Bills games however. Those guys do some decent analysis, minus all the BS.

jb

Yes...the pre-game shows are just a re-hash of things you have heard, over and over again, all week...I will catch a few minutes at the bar, waiting for the Bills game to start...but I make no point to tune into one of these shows. Only exception might be the NBC Sunday night pre-game, as it is the first packaged look at all the games that week....and whether people like Costas or not, he adds a little bit of legitimacy to the "journalistic" element that these shows used to try to have, when they were more relevant. In general though, other than actual games, I think sports are suffering from over-exposure these days...

I don't watch them, and haven't in years, but I think it's twofold: one, when I do catch a few minutes of one they all strike me as clowns, and two, the Bills have been bad so they're never talking about my team.

I occationally have NFL AM on as background noise when I am getting ready for work. Mainly, because there is no NHL Network programing so far this year. I pretty much agree with everything you guys have said, however, I was never a huge fan of these...

I am 42 and a father of two boys. I have no time for any of the shows anymore but happened to catch Michael Irvin, Rich Eisen, and Kurt Warner standing on a fake field trying to expain why wearing gloves in the cold works. I have not seen Berman or Terry or Marino, or Sanders in several years but catch little bits while watching Sunday Ticket. Are any of them any good? Am I just old? Everytime I catch a shot of them on NFL Sunday ticket they are alway touching each other, laughing over the guy talking, or just yelling non-sense about clothes.

They are all pretty bad, but you got stuck watching the NFL Network team, which is probably the worst.

I feel my IQ slowly declining each time I listen to them.

There are a few people worth listening to on all of these football shows, Ron Jaworski and Adam Schefter are two - but unless you are tuning into Jaws' show NFL Matchup, there isn't a thing worth making time for.

#1- not while attending HOME games....

#2- not while watching the commercial free Red Zone Sundays 1 - 7:30 PM.....non-stop action.

#3- while not doing #1 or #2.....then i channel hop between NFLN, ESPN, CBS, FOX, NBC & Showtime...probably like NFLN best (other than Irvin)....can't get enough football talk....

I'm about the same as you with age and kids so rarely watch anything for more than a few minutes at a time, but from the bits I catch it seems they are all awful. The participants now try so hard to show their 'personalities'; just like the rest of the media who think their job is to promote themselves and their network rather than just provide useful information. I even tried the NFL Network this year and they were worse than any of them.

The last good NFL pre/post game show was the old ESPN Gameday, and even that got old once they crammed six guys into the studio.

This may sound ridiculous but it is a common occurrence for me to miss the beginnings of games because I absolutely refuse to turn on my television until I'm sure these "personalities" will not be present in my living room for even a single second. I have no idea who it is that actually watches these self-promoting clowns.

That being said there is one show worth watching that runs during the week on NFL Network called "Playbook". It's the only "pregame" show I'm aware of that actually focuses on the games that are going to be played on the field. However since it is the NFL Network, it has already begun its slide to stupidity and I imagine its only a matter of time before it becomes completely unwatchable like every other show they've destroyed created. At first it had fantastic analysts like Sterling Sharp, Mike Mayock, Solomon Wilcots, Charles Davis, etc. Now Mayock, Wilcots and Davis are gone, replaced by the likes of Donovan McNabb and Brian Baldinger(who's actually calmed down and improved); it's probably only a matter of time before Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin and Marshall Faulk show up to assure that I will never view it again.

But for now, even if it's not as good as it once was, it's still tolerable and is certainly the best of any of the pre or post game garbage available.

In the pre-internet olden days, access to information wasn't as immediate or accessible, and the pre-game shows were more tolerable as a somewhat necessary evil for information starved fans.

Other than weekly sports rags, brief newspaper blurbs, or national sports radio talking heads, keeping current for a specific team was not as instant. This was especially frustrating for those (most) of us who follow the Bills, but are not based in WNY.

With everything and anything now at our fingertips 24/7, no matter where we are, what can the Fox or CBS panel tell me that I don't already know? Maybe a tidbit here or there, but not enough to justify spending precious time fixed to the "tube" while they act like delinquent frat boys, fawning over the latest media darling. Only thing missing is the togas and beer kegs.

If ever there's anything remotely controversial, they rehash it incessantly like some gossipy old hens at the sewing club. Ughhh. The pre-season nonstop Tebow coverage was enought to make me puke. Talk about a non-story!

With the Bills being little more than the very occasional mention or logo graphic on any network coverage, I'd have to be a huge fan of all things NFL to even consider having the TV on prior to kickoff.

This thread got me thinking; there was a good show on ESPN several years ago, kind of a pre-pre-game show. I think Jaworski may have been on it and they did a ton of film breakdown and analysis of key plays, offensive/defense trends, etc. And without the hosts acting like goofy idiots as is required now for all programming.

I also used to watch Spanish Fly.....that was a perfect Sunday morning hangover show in my single days.

I would love to be able to ask the producers of the CBS, FOX, & ESPN pregame shows, why the need for 4 or 5 talking heads on the set? What is wrong with two people on the main set, and cutaways to live remotes. KISS principle.

It's hard to believe that if they ever did a focus group on the pre-game shows that what I posted above would not be a recurring theme.

This thread got me thinking; there was a good show on ESPN several years ago, kind of a pre-pre-game show. I think Jaworski may have been on it and they did a ton of film breakdown and analysis of key plays, offensive/defense trends, etc. And without the hosts acting like goofy idiots as is required now for all programming.

I also used to watch Spanish Fly.....that was a perfect Sunday morning hangover show in my single days.

'Edge NFL Matchup', perhaps? Prior to that it was 'Monday Night Matchup' with Chris Berman, Steve Sabol, & Allie Sherman. 'MNM' was a good show, IMHO.

I watch during the season when there is more teams to talk about but with the focus being so narrow during the play offs (unless of coarse the Bills were playing) i don't pay as much attention B/C you can only talk about so much with 8 teams playing.

I don't watch so i'm not sure if they talk about other teams & their coaching hirings or searches, i guess i have better things to do but if the Bills were in there i'd be watchin them !!