Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Damn, it's entirely too early to start drinking. :wallbash:

Seriously? This isn't just because I wanted Lovie. I'm not a big fan of the idea of recruiting a college head coach but if we were going to do it, we could have tried getting someone with a slightly more productive program.

Please, someone give me hope for how we're going to get a fix for our QB spot, creatively use our run game and bolster a talented yet underperforming defense.

Spend a little time reading about Marrone.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone the Bills hired would be berated by fans. It's a no win situation. Honestly I don't know much about Marrone but I love the idea of CJ Spiller in a wco he's a tailor made rb for that. The big issue will be finding a qb but we needed that regardless of who the hc was. Now we'll see who Marrone is bringing in as coordinators. It def is a different kind of hire for the Bills that's for sure

The one thing that would make this hire even better would be if it drove the negative "Bills Fans" away once and for all! If you don't like the hire, go find another team to root for! Come on people!

The deal isn't done yet. It was leaked at an opportune time

Not a done deal yet. That's what Howie Simon said on GR this morning

I would think Russell is watching the reaction on " The Stadium Wall" before confirming the possible hire.

Edited by Hammered a Lot

I had thought that Marrone could be a serious dark horse candidate for Bills job. I hope he puts together a quality staff. WGR 55 reports that he and Fitz have the same agent. I hate that aspect of this hire . I simply do not want Fitz to return as QB. We cannnot win with hima at QB and he will not want to be a backup. This could contaminate what appears to be a forward thinking hire.

Yeah, you'd absolutely hate to have that team-first, hard-working, great teammate mentality of Fitz poisoning the locker room. Fitz coming back doesn't mean Fitz is unquestioned starter or franchise guy, and he'd be the first one to go along with whatever direction the coaching staff wants to go.

Or it was announced when the deal got done. What the hell are you trying to say?

Obviously the Bills tried to bury this story by giving fans all of the most football centric day of the week to talk about it because they were so embarrassed by it.

Edited by Pondslider

I see this as further confirmation nix is on his way out. Marrone is not his kind of guy ... Relatively young, not southern, not from SEC, no chargers connection, no history with nix. Just don't see the two of them fitting.

It may not be applicable to your life experience, most well-adjusted adults can get along well with somebody not the same age, not from a similar geographic region, and do not have the same employers listed on their resume'.

While it's doubtful Nix will be around in a few year's time, the Marrone hiring is by no means confirmation of it.

Aha finally the boiling water to pour on the ground up coming from the freezer.

I didnt like Gailey when he was hired, then I actually liked what I saw offense wise in his first two years... But I love this hire, it certainly makes me think this could work out great, however staffing is going to be essential. I hope we don't wind up with a bunch of college guys on staf again.

This guy has W written all over his track record; where as Gailey kept an existing program going at it's current level where as Gailey his successor greatly improved on Gailey his record in his first year allready.

Yes, good choice, now let's see if he can pass the first test and show what he's about when staffing.

Yeah, you'd absolutely hate to have that team-first, hard-working, great teammate mentality of Fitz poisoning the locker room. Fitz coming back doesn't mean Fitz is unquestioned starter or franchise guy, and he'd be the first one to go along with whatever direction the coaching staff wants to go.

+1

If it works out financially, I would love to have Fitz being the guy mentoring the young QB talent we draft.

Obviously the Bills tried to bury this story by giving fans all of the most football centric day of the week to talk about it because they were so embarrassed by it.

I hope your being facetious, because if not this post is just stupid.

Edit: I suspect facetiousness lol

Edited by mob16151

No wonder he was hired! This snippet from his resume:

• Named 'America's Friendliest College Football Coach' by ESPN the Magazine.

Other highlights:

Syracuse (2009-present)

• In 2011, a school-record and league-leading 28 student-athletes were named to the BIG EAST All-Academic Team.
  • • 2010 American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Region 1 Coach of the Year.
  • • 2010 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year finalist.
  • • In 2010, led the Orange to the inaugural New Era Pinstripe Bowl Championship.
  • • Named 'America's Friendliest College Football Coach' by ESPN the Magazine.
  • • In his second year, Syracuse continued its ascent in the national statistical rankings, including total defense (7th from 37th), pass defense (10th from 85th), pass efficiency (14th from 113th), scoring defense (13th from 81st), and first downs allowed (12th from 27th), interceptions thrown (13th from 84th)
  • •The 2009 Orange improved in the national statistical rankings in third down defense (28th from 117th), first downs allowed (27th from 104th), rush defense (13th from 101st), total defense (37th from 114th), tackles for loss (15th from 104th) and sacks (6th from 100th).

New Orleans Saints (2006-08)

• • In his three seasons, the Saints threw 1,232 passes and surrendered only 39 sacks.
  • • In 2008, the team led the NFL in total offense (410.7 yards per game) and passing offense (311.1 yards per game).
  • • In 2007, the Saints ranked first in red zone touchdown percentage (.720, 36 of 50), led the NFC in third-down conversions (46.3) and notched 346 first downs.
  • • In 2007, set an NFL record with 440 completions, and also set team all-time highs for passing first downs (222), attempts (652), touchdown passes (28) and completion percentage (67.5).
  • • In 2007, allowed the fewest sacks in the league (16), an average of one per 41 attempted.
  • • In 2006, led NFL in total offense and set a team record with an NFL-leading 6,264 yards.
  • • In 2006, set club records with 330 first downs, an average of 5.8 yards per play and 4,503 passing yards.
  • • In 2006, only team in the NFL with four players with more than 650 receiving yards.

New York Jets (2002-05)

• • During his tenure, the Jets played in four playoff games (two in 2002 and a pair in 2004).
  • • In 2004, the club finished third in the NFL in rushing yards (2,388) and second in rushing first downs (135).
  • • In 2004, the offense posted one of the highest rushing averages (4.5) in club history and had the NFL’s leading rusher (Curtis Martin, 1,697 yards).
  • • In 2003, the offense averaged 5.3 yards per play and 4.0 yards per rushing attempt.
  • • In 2002 the line led the way for the offense to rush for 1,618 yards.

University of Tennessee (2001)

• • Volunteers won the Florida Citrus Bowl with a 45-17 victory against Michigan.
  • • Fifth-ranked UT beat No. 2 Florida, 34-32, in Gainesville in the final regular season game.
  • • Helped earn the team a spot in the SEC championship game.

University of Georgia (2000)

• • Helped lead the Bulldogs to a top 20 finish in the polls and a victory against Virginia in the Jeep Oahu Bowl.

Georgia Tech (1995-99)

• • Georgia Tech participated in a bowl game each season from 1997-99.
  • • In 1999, the Yellow Jackets finished first nationally in total offense, averaging 509.4 yards and 40.7 points per game.

I did not, but why is that a bad thing? Russ is highly regarded by most people other than actual Bills fans.

I'm just wondering whom he is highly regarded by and how you've heard that. I'm not being a smart ass, but I've seen similar stuff offered and I've never read anything about the guy.

Agree. Though could have waited until the morning of the Super Bowl to completely fly under radar.

For those interested in his Jets years as o-line coach under Herman Edwards (2001-2005), the jets made the playoffs three times in the first four years and won their opening round twice. From 2001-2004, they gave up 19, 31, 32, and 31 sacks each year (an average of 28), which is very good. As for rushing yards, the Jets were 4th in 2001, 22nd in 2002, 25th in 2003, and 3rd in 2004.

The stats from 2005 are terrible across the board, but I put almost no stock in them because of the QB situation -- the hapless Brooks Bollinger started over half the games because of a shoulder injury to Pennington early on and the stark decline in 42 year-old Vinnie T's ability to play at an NFL level.

You are somehow implying that the timing is suspicious as if the Bills are trying to hide or sugarcoat the hire. Which is nuts or juvenile. I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

I asked if they possibly leaked it to grab the headlines before the NHL story came out. Russ is a marketing guy. Is that so far fetched? Smh

He wouldn't report it if it wasn't true. I'm going to barf. We need a good OC and DC now. We are in trouble

You believe everything on the internet?...yes, it wouldn't be on the internet if it wasn't true, and where did you hear that? the internet.....Bon Jour!!! :lol:

Edited by billsbum

We would have hated any coach. Lovie, Whis...retreads. Kelly...no NFL experience. Gotta say I'm stunned by Marrone.

Thats where I'm at. Just stunned. But I'll take a wait and see approach and obviously will be behind him when the season starts. I've heard good things about his defensive coordinator. I'll be interested if he brings him along.

Shocked when I woke up and heard this. But when you drill down, this guy is extremely well-regarded and was very hot in NFL circles right now. Seems safer than Kelly because Kelly has zip NFL connections. Guy is from the Parcells coaching tree. I favored Smith or Whiz but you pretty much know their ceilings. Marrone has a higher ceiling but a lower floor. Getting to the playoffs--more likely Smith or whiz in the short term. Winning a Super Bowl, I'd take Marrone. Don't know much more, but I'm willing to give him a shot... seems like a good leader.