Mike Freeman of CBS Almost Guaranteeing Alex Smith Landing in Buffalo

dgr81

Kevin Kolb went for a 2nd and an established CB. I find it hard to believe Smith, with more proven experience and performance, would warrant anything less than a 1 plus a 3. Alternatively, he could probably be had for a proven offensive line starter and a 1 or 2. Of course, it is widely believed that Arizona overpaid for Kolb but the pool of available starters being what it is, I can't imagine Smith going for any less.

Kolbs potential got that. Smiths lack of upward potential based on his long track record hurts him. Kolb could've been anything and got a premium for that. Alex smith is Alex smith.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolbs potential got that. Smiths lack of upward potential based on his long track record hurts him. Kolb could've been anything and got a premium for that. Alex smith is Alex smith.

Kevin Kolb is the mystery box, and Alex Smith is the boat lol

Anyone know what show Im referencing?

Smith is likely to be a FA before April fools day, so the concern over draft picks is likely unwarranted. Why give up picks when the odds favor him being cut long before the draft. Given the teams needs and the QBs available in the draft, I would think that WR or LB would be targeted in the first round. Cutting Fitz, signing Smith after he is released, keeping the first round pick, and still having a second round pick to possibly spend on another QB is not the worst scenario moving forward. I hope they draft another tackle too.

Smith is likely to be a FA before April fools day, so the concern over draft picks is likely unwarranted. Why give up picks when the odds favor him being cut long before the draft. Given the teams needs and the QBs available in the draft, I would think that WR or LB would be targeted in the first round. Cutting Fitz, signing Smith after he is released, keeping the first round pick, and still having a second round pick to possibly spend on another QB is not the worst scenario moving forward. I hope they draft another tackle too.

Unfortunately, too many teams now need a QB so somebody will trade for Smith prior to his bonus payment in March. His bonus and salary are middling for a starter in the league. Waiting for him in FA will cost a lot more money because he'll have multiple suitors. I think SF will trade him or keep him but won't release him to FA. They get nothing if they release him.

agreed. hes a solid vet. has good tools (have to, to be drafted that high), and has learned not to make mistakes. we could do far worse as our "hold the seat" guy.

that said, without a HC, this rumor is nothing more than a rumor.

And we have a decent to above average OL with a good/great Left side protecting a right handed QB. Alex can make the throws that Fitz cannot even attempt and is a far more accurate passer than Ftiz.

Well, when you consider that pick was Todd Blackledge and he was taken BEFORE Kelly and Marino, I'd be a little gun shy about taking a QB in the first round, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah but after almost 30 years you'd think they'd be past that,

if we get Alex Smith I may have to boycott a season

Because of the guy with the 70 percent completion rate, 8.0 YPA, 13 TDs to 5 INTs, and 104.0 rating this season? Seems silly. He'd be a fine stopgap until the Bills actually find a franchise QB in the draft. Odds are that won't be this year, so they'll have to make do with something and Smith will probably be the best available option.

I'd be fine with Alex Smith on a 2 year deal to keep the seat warm for whatever QB we take in Rd 2 (after getting the best LB in RD1)

I could deal with this too as long as it comes with a QB drafted and we have a offense put place that doesn't require him to be the man. Chan Gailey's system + Alex Smith = a giant hell NO!

People will crap on this, but I'm cool with it as long as we draft a QB in rds 1-1

FYP

The thinking should always be "how can we win the Superbowl THIS year." Alex Smith is not going to win a superbowl for the Bills. Only a real quarterback can do that. And a front office that brings him in is not trying to win the superbowl THIS year. Smith would be part of a 2-3 year plan, and I'm sick of 2-3 year plans.

Edited by maddenboy

FYP

The thinking should always be "how can we win the Superbowl THIS year." Alex Smith is not going to win a superbowl for the Bills. Only a real quarterback can do that. And a front office that brings him in is not trying to win the superbowl THIS year. Smith would be part of a 2-3 year plan, and I'm sick of 2-3 year plans.

I hated the pick when 9ers took him 1 overall. And for his first few years in the league he validated my concern. But I have to admit over the last 2 he's shown a lot of improvement. I love how he can run an uptempo offense, and at least he looks like a leader and competitor out there. I don't think he'll ever have an elite arm like Brady or Eli, and hes prone to some real clunker outings at times, but still he was an overtime loss last year from being in the Super Bowl. And anything could have happened had they made it. So I don't see how one can definitively say you can't win a Super Bowl with him.

I only got to the second page but I would think that Step 1 for the Bills would be to hire a head coach. Step 2 would be "hey new head coach what do you think of Alex Smith?"

Weisenhunt and horton probably have a specific opinion of Alex Smith since they played against him 2 times a year the last 5 years.

So I'd think this we are way too early in the game to sepculate about FA QBs.

The new coach is going to have and want some input on their QB.

I only got to the second page but I would think that Step 1 for the Bills would be to hire a head coach. Step 2 would be "hey new head coach what do you think of Alex Smith?"

Weisenhunt and horton probably have a specific opinion of Alex Smith since they played against him 2 times a year the last 5 years.

So I'd think this we are way too early in the game to sepculate about FA QBs.

The new coach is going to have and want some input on their QB.

Right, except these potential coaches are being asked in the interview how they view working with "Alex Smith", which adds to the rumor. The idea is our FO is looking for someone who is comfortable coaching Alex Smith, potentially.

I hated the pick when 9ers took him 1 overall. And for his first few years in the league he validated my concern. But I have to admit over the last 2 he's shown a lot of improvement. I love how he can run an uptempo offense, and at least he looks like a leader and competitor out there. I don't think he'll ever have an elite arm like Brady or Eli, and hes prone to some real clunker outings at times, but still he was an overtime loss last year from being in the Super Bowl. And anything could have happened had they made it. So I don't see how one can definitively say you can't win a Super Bowl with him.

It's stupid to say you can't win with any QB. You once couldn't win a SB with Peyton. But Smith would be more of the exception than the rule. The way the 49ers are built, a lot of Qbs could have played well for them. Harbaugh puts his QBs in great situations. If you honestly think Smith can carry a team, it will be a huge mistake. He is a slightly better version of Fitz.

Any idea what they'd want for him? I floated the idea of bundling Fitz w/ a pick or 2 in a trade for Smith earlier but it didn't get much traction. The theory is that he'd give them a veteran b/u who's significantly better than what they can sign off the street, and he'd probably be willing to renegotiate his contract to stay employed. Any thoughts?

I don't see anyone trading much if anything for Fitz, especially with his contract. He will be cut hopefully.

FYP

Of course it should, but who in your estimation should we pursue to fulfill this? A rookie?

Right, except these potential coaches are being asked in the interview how they view working with "Alex Smith", which adds to the rumor. The idea is our FO is looking for someone who is comfortable coaching Alex Smith, potentially.

That would be the most bass ackward thing I have heard of, I highly highly highly doubt the decision has been made to acquire Alex Smith and they are looking for a coach to fit the QB.

If I were a GM and I were interviewing multiple NFC West Coaching Candidates, and I knew that Alex Smith may become available it would be just basic due diligence to pick their brain while you have them in for an interview.

That doesn't mean they are going to base thier coaching decision on whether they like Alex Smith or not.

That would be the most bass ackward thing I have heard of, I highly highly highly doubt the decision has been made to acquire Alex Smith and they are looking for a coach to fit the QB.

If I were a GM and I were interviewing multiple NFC West Coaching Candidates, and I knew that Alex Smith may become available it would be just basic due diligence to pick their brain while you have them in for an interview.

That doesn't mean they are going to base thier coaching decision on whether they like Alex Smith or not.

I would tend to agree with you, however I believe that is where this rumor originated. Again, just passing what I read here on to you, not saying I was in agreemant with that approach, or even believed it for that matter. TBH, I'm not even sure how someone knew that question was asked.

As long as he's not brought in to be the unquestioned starter, and we don't trade anything above a 4th round pick.

I would trade a 4th for Smith, keep the Amish rifle, and draft a QB in the first 3 rounds to groom. QB depth would be outstanding

I would trade a 4th for Smith, keep the Amish rifle, and draft a QB in the first 3 rounds to groom. QB depth would be outstanding

SF will waive Smith at some point because of a 3 million dollar roster bonus next year. It will not be necessary to give up anything for him. I'd cut the Amish popgun and draft a young QB to groom for the long term.

SF will waive Smith at some point because of a 3 million dollar roster bonus next year. It will not be necessary to give up anything for him. I'd cut the Amish popgun and draft a young QB to groom for the long term.

He will be cut only if no team is willing to give up a draft pick for him under his current contract. I think a few will, because his contract is on the low end for starting QBs. If there are no good offers, it's also possible, although not very likely, that the 49ers will just decide to keep him for a year as a backup to CK, who's contract is very modest.

He will be cut only if no team is willing to give up a draft pick for him under his current contract. I think a few will, because his contract is on the low end for starting QBs. If there are no good offers, it's also possible, although not very likely, that the 49ers will just decide to keep him for a year as a backup to CK, who's contract is very modest.

You could be correct, but I think any potential teams would be more inclined to draft and go with a young guy rather than give up something for him unless they believe he can help them compete for a playoff berth right away. Most of the teams with QB issues are bad however. I think the market for Smith will be limited.

only problem - thats potentially 25m in salary (if its a 1st round rookie) tied up in qb this year. the depth may be outstanding but the value would not.

FYP

That type of thinking makes a team a perrenial loser, unless it already is a contender.

People will crap on this, but I'm cool with it as long as we draft a QB in rds 1-3

Actually I can live with this as long as they rid of Fitz also....... sign me up.

I think A. Smith plus Stevie , C.J. Freddie ( in a backup 3rd down role) and another WR in the draft we would have a decent Offense.

Lovie could you work with Alex Smith? Thats a joke right? I had success with Rex Grossman and I think with Alex we at least make the playoffs right off the bat. Welcome to the Buffalo Bills Lovie.

and Lovie who woild be your OC?

I think that would be my first question.

If only it weren't for that pesky salary cap thingy, this wouldn't be a stupid idea.

I am fine with Smith.

Fitz needs to go so the veterans don't get the wrong idea.