Manti Teo vs. best QB in this draft

tito1

Who you got? This qb class looks pretty weak o me, so curious if everyone still would want qb(with all the problems with Fitzy this year), or one of the most dominant defensive and leaders in college football this year

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the LB is better than the QB take the LB. Besides, as the team is now, we need a stud LB more than a QB.

I'm strongly BPA, but qb is a whole different question.

1) can any qb on the board be a franchise guy?

Yes, take him.

No, continue to question 2.

2) who's the BPA?

Take him.

I might even change the first to "any qb better than your own" with fitz at the helm.

Edited by NoSaint

Te'o is awesome, but if there's a franchise Q available, it begins and ends there.

Clay Matthews didn't win the SB for the Packers. Rodgers did, you know?

Yup. The assumption is the top QBs will be gone before Buffalo picks (yes they will win six games), so in that case a LB makes a lot of sense.

This team needs more than one LB but Teo is not top 10 quality. If the team does not sweep Miami and Indy they will be drafting around 8-11. If they go 5-3 down the stretch they wil be drafitn arounf 15-18 and Teo may be decent value there.

He's been grading out as" Kuetchly with better cover skills".

Who you got? This qb class looks pretty weak o me, so curious if everyone still would want qb(with all the problems with Fitzy this year), or one of the most dominant defensive and leaders in college football this year

QB, Landry Jones and Tyler Wilson are the best available and can be had after "stars" Smith and Barkley. Wilson has had a rough year but with the program in total disarray it's easy to see why he is down this year but last year he was on the same level as Tannehill who I'm sure most of you would take right now.

LBs are nice but QBs win championships and the LB position is becoming less important with all the use of nickel and dime packages.

I want the LB and then get a first or second round guy next year. I hate the square peg into a round hole. If the best player is a LB take the LB. If the best player is a QB take the QB. I'm with you, the QB's don't look like RGIII or Luck.

yeah this has worked great for so far, BPA is for teams that have all the pieces.

Sticking to your board is dumb when you have players the are closely ranked together but you take the BPA when you really need that other player. How much difference is there really between the top 20 through the third round? Not a whole heck of a lot.

Look at our draft this year ,Nix has said he sticks to his board no matter what and we passed by players that could have helped this team (QBs Wilson, Foles 3rd round) and cut or traded our last 4 picks. Did we really need a guard, which we have a ton of, in the sixth round when there talented WRS and Safetys available that we really needed? You have to go get the players you want just like Dallas who could be great if not for their QB. There was Talk that the Bills would have taken Tannehill if he was there, if so then they should have traded up to get him.

Here's what we should have done:

1. QB Ryan Tannehill 6'4" 222 Tex A&M (trade our first and second to miami)

3. TE Michael Egnew 6'5" 252 Missouri

4. LB Nigel Bradham 6'2" 241 FSU

4. CB Ron Brooks 5'11" 188 LSU

5. WR/RB Chris Rainey 5"9 180 Florida

5. SS George Iloka 6'4" 225 Boise State

6. WR Tommy Streeter 6'5" 219 Miami

7. LT Andrew Datko 6'6" 315 FSU

7. LB Vontaze Burfict 6'1" 245 Arizona ST.

Sticking to your board is dumb when you have players the are closely ranked together but you take the BPA when you really need that other player. How much difference is there really between the top 20 through the third round? Not a whole heck of a lot.

Look at our draft this year ,Nix has said he sticks to his board no matter what and we passed by players that could have helped this team (QBs Wilson, Foles 3rd round) and cut or traded our last 4 picks. Did we really need a guard, which we have a ton of, in the sixth round when there talented WRS and Safetys available that we really needed? You have to go get the players you want just like Dallas who could be great if not for their QB. There was Talk that the Bills would have taken Tannehill if he was there, if so then they should have traded up to get him.

While I disagreed with you on Tannehill- and props to you for recognizing his skill- thank you for not submitting a b.s. draft board of the best available that this franchise would not have drafted (i.e., Bobby Wagner, Casey Hayward).

While I disagreed with you on Tannehill- and props to you for recognizing his skill- thank you for not submitting a b.s. draft board of the best available that this franchise would not have drafted (i.e., Bobby Wagner, Casey Hayward).

Your Welcome, although I was hoping we could Wagner or Lavonte David.

Yes, take him.

2) who's the BPA?

Take him.

I might even change the first to "any qb better than your own" with fitz at the helm.

Te'o is awesome, but if there's a franchise Q available, it begins and ends there.

Clay Matthews didn't win the SB for the Packers. Rodgers did, you know?

QB, Landry Jones and Tyler Wilson are the best available and can be had after "stars" Smith and Barkley. Wilson has had a rough year but with the program in total disarray it's easy to see why he is down this year but last year he was on the same level as Tannehill who I'm sure most of you would take right now.

LBs are nice but QBs win championships and the LB position is becoming less important with all the use of nickel and dime packages.

These.

Even if there isn't an Andrew Luck or Matt Ryan, there will be a Ben Roethisberger or Aaron Rodgers in the next draft. Meaning there may not be an outright franchise player but there will be some good QBs. And a good/great QB trumps a Middle LB every time.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I used to not like the idea of drafting the BPA, but I've changed my tune after seeing teams like New England, Green Bay and Houston continue to choose the BPA. You can never have enough Pro Bowl Caliber players. They (hopefully) make everyone around them better. Right now, I think our biggest weakness is up the middle on Defense. To me, if we can stop the run, we are a better team. Sheppard is not pulling his weight. If we have a chance at Teo, I think we have to take him. He is a Ray Lewis type. The guy has willed ND's defense into a really solid unit. JMO.

Ahhhh boy, still on the Tannehill thing are we? Get over it. LB's are less important? Tell that to SF, CHI, ATL, GB, and BAL. Those teams all have top tier LB groups and all are sitting in the NFL's upper echelon right now. It still takes a TEAM effort and you surely need a good QB in today's NFL, but defense does win championships and Te'o would be a quality piece. On that note, I think we could take Te'o in the first, possibly another LB in the 2nd, and still get Landry Jones in the 3rd. Jmo with how many teams are actually in need of a QB this year. I think demand is lower than I can remember for the most part.

Ahhhh boy, still on the Tannehill thing are we? Get over it. LB's are less important? Tell that to SF, CHI, ATL, GB, and BAL. Those teams all have top tier LB groups and all are sitting in the NFL's upper echelon right now. It still takes a TEAM effort and you surely need a good QB in today's NFL, but defense does win championships and Te'o would be a quality piece. On that note, I think we could take Te'o in the first, possibly another LB in the 2nd, and still get Landry Jones in the 3rd. Jmo with how many teams are actually in need of a QB this year. I think demand is lower than I can remember for the most part.

Good defense and well equipped qb play.

If not elite (Rodgers), certainly very good qbs for all of those right now. Smith really upped his game recently, and had the tools to go number one, cutlers very good, flacco and Ryan both very good.

These.

Even if there isn't an Andrew Luck or Matt Ryan, there will be a Ben Roethisberger or Aaron Rodgers in the next draft. Meaning there may not be an outright franchise player but there will be some good QBs. And a good/great QB trumps a Middle LB every time.

How do you know this? There have been many drafts that EVERY QB turned out to be 2nd string material or out of the league.

Even worse, you're saying the Luck and Ryan are outright franchise players, and Big Ben and Rodgers are "good QBs". The same Big Ben and Rodgers that have Super Bowl victories compared to 0 playoff wins between Ryan and Luck.

You always go for the franchise QB unless your top LB can throw touchdowns. The Bills FO are good at identifying the obvious when it come to QB talent but not good at doing their homework to find that third or fourth round gem. Therefore we should go for the QB in the first. Barkley, Smith and Jones should be worthy here. If we feel we can be creative and jump back into the first round we can look at other options for defensive help.

My concern about drafting a LB first which I wouldn't be against is that our lack of defensive coaching in this area will dwarf the exceptional talent upgrade brought in by a draft pick. So the question is what are going to do about our defensive coaching to get the most out of the defensive player additions to the team in the off season. For that matter how many 6-10 seasons does it take for you to realize that you have a 6-10 coach?

Even a middle of the pack/slightly above acerage starter at qb would do more for this team than a probowl LB

I am fully on board with this thought. We do not have the luxury of not upgrading the QB position this year and do not want to look at the lower rounds to hope we find a diamond in the rough. Take the QB even if he may not be BPA.

While I agree with your sentiment, Miami wanted Tannehill. If anybody, we would have had to trade with the Jags

How do you know this? There have been many drafts that EVERY QB turned out to be 2nd string material or out of the league.

Even worse, you're saying the Luck and Ryan are outright franchise players, and Big Ben and Rodgers are "good QBs". The same Big Ben and Rodgers that have Super Bowl victories compared to 0 playoff wins between Ryan and Luck.

I think he was saying perception coming out - ie can't miss vs slipped a bit

1. I don't think Barkley and Smith are as good as Luck and RG3

2. right now it looks like in the first round Barkley, Smith, and Wilson

3. I like some of the second tier guys Landry Jones, E.J. Manuel, Logan Thomas, Collin Klein- these guys are rated to go in 2nd-5th rounds so maybe grab more than 1

4. Don't rule out a CB in round 1, Xavier Rhodes and Dee Milliner fit the big CB profile the Bills seem to like

Hey mods, why in the world would you merge my topic with this when it has noting to do with next years draft?

Jones is not going third, he's going first round just like most prototype QBs do.

SF, GB and Bal are 34 teams which is whole different animal

Defense huh, Tell that to the Broncos

Something getting missed here....

IS THERE going to be a franchise QB there when we draft this year.....

If the answer is YES...then it is a no brainer

If the answer is NO.....then come on.....do we really want to draft another Losman? When we could have had a dominant ILB monster?

Is this really even a debate. This is an easy call.

Actually thats not what I meant, at all. My point was Big Ben and Rodgers weren't considered "franchise" guys coming out of college. Hence why they weren't taken first overall.

Yet they are now "franchise" guys, so there could be good QB's who are picked later that turn our to be great.

Hey mods, why in the world would you merge my topic with this when it has noting to do with next years draft?

Jones is not going third, he's going first round just like most prototype QBs do.

SF, GB and Bal are 34 teams which is whole different animal

Defense huh, Tell that to the Broncos

Only if someone is brave enough to trade back into the late 1st for him and after KC/Jax get Smith/Barkley who really NEEDS a QB that bad?

What have the Broncos won since Elway?

I am a Huge Notre Dame Fan As well as A Bills & I love Manti Teo He Is the Heart & Soul Of the team BUT the Bills NEED a QB if We Don't in the Top 5 We Have too move up

There is always Value at LB in later rounds when you don't have a Franchise QB & need one you don't take a LB just saying

Edited by Matt183

Teo. There is no QB in this draft that I'm high enough on to pass up on a defensive talent like Teo. Need a defensive "QB" also.

I am a Huge Notre Dame Fan As well as A Bills & I love Manti Teo He Is the Heart & Soul Of the team BUT the Bills NEED a QB if We Don't in the Top 5 We Have too move up

There is always Value at LB in later rounds when you don't have a Franchise QB & need one you don't take a LB just saying

I agree. I just don't think any of the "top" ranked QB's are vastly different from those you could get early in the second or by trading back into the first.

Teo. There is no QB in this draft that I'm high enough on to pass up on a defensive talent like Teo. Need a defensive "QB" also.

I agree. I just don't think any of the "top" ranked QB's are vastly different from those you could get early in the second or by trading back into the first.

So the Bills should just roll the dice with Fitz for another season or roll the dice with picking a late round QB?

Something getting missed here....

IS THERE going to be a franchise QB there when we draft this year.....

If the answer is YES...then it is a no brainer

If the answer is NO.....then come on.....do we really want to draft another Losman? When we could have had a dominant ILB monster?

Is this really even a debate. This is an easy call.

This is my thinking. I think we have a potential Losman when we draft like 5th or so. I'd rather have a dominant LB and trade back into the first and risk a Lousman then. AT least you leave round 1 with a TOP player. I'd also take a QB like Nassib later in the draft.

Yes, take him.

2) who's the BPA?

Take him.

I strongly agree with your post, except for the last line. If the franchise QBs are expected to be gone by 5th overall, and if you pick 8th, then trade up to fourth overall! :angry: If there isn't a franchise QB available in the draft, don't waste your time with a non-franchise guy. When you finally pull the trigger on a QB, you want him to be The Guy. Not Sort of The Guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.