Manti Teo vs. best QB in this draft

tito1

Do you guys really trust Nix / Gailey to draft the right players and then develop them properly, I sure don't! Look at the last 3 drafts...

I'll tell you what will happen, the team picking just before the bills will draft ILB Manti Te'o, and the Bills will draft a CB or RB as their history has shown. Then they trade Fred Jackson for a 5th. Perhaps they draft a QB as Matt Barkley looks like a "mini me" version of Fitz. Big brain, average arm, 6' 7/8" tall. Or maybe grab a QB in the 2nd round

BTW, that one win against Miami just knocked them from around 5th to up to 7th -18th depending on who wins this Sunday. 4-6 Oh I forgot, many of you have them finishing the season at 10-6

it took this regime 3 years to finally draft a LT...speaking of 3 years... to finally get some pass rush. But they needed to spend 112 million to draft on a pair of pass rushers who have only played well against rookie QB's

The team still needs a top WR to compliment SJ who is currently ranked 27th in yards, Jones is 64th. Still needs an ILB after letting Poz go. How many years until Nix / Gailey can actually compete for the division, if ever?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of us old folks might argue that point! Kelly was the only HoF QB, but Jack Kemp and Joe Ferguson were definitely "franchise" guys who led the team for a lot of years and to a fair bit of success!

You mean Joe "hang my head after every bad pass" Ferguson?

Joe,12 years with the Bills, two years at 9-5 in 74-75 and 2nd in the division to Miami. Then finally rode Chuck Knox's coattails to the playoffs again in 80-81. 79-92 just isn't what I'd call "franchise" type numbers

Kemp OTOH won Championships, The AFL, but still. League MVP, 7 time all star out of 10 years, played in 5 Championship games and won 2

i've watched Cam Newton play, he looks good good at 2-7. RGIII looks super at 3-7; Sam Bradford is stellar at 3-5; Stafford at 4-5; Gabbert at 1-8; Weeden at 2-7; Tannehill at 4-6; etc.

Luck has been solid but look at the Colts' remaining games - they won't be above .500 much longer.

All these QB's taken in the last 2 years or so aren't doing crap to put wins up for their teams.

Keep ripping on me all you want, but I like Fitz and the understanding he and Gailey have of this offense. Fitz is only 29, it's not like the guy is 35 and there's no hope for the future. Keep adding to the offense by upgrading at WR and adding to the OL. Above all, add to the defense/LB, especially.

i've watched Cam Newton play, he looks good good at 2-7. RGIII looks super at 3-7; Sam Bradford is stellar at 3-5; Stafford at 4-5; Gabbert at 1-8; Weeden at 2-7; Tannehill at 4-6; etc.

Luck has been solid but look at the Colts' remaining games - they won't be above .500 much longer.

All these QB's taken in the last 2 years or so aren't doing crap to put wins up for their teams.

Keep ripping on me all you want, but I like Fitz and the understanding he and Gailey have of this offense. Fitz is only 29, it's not like the guy is 35 and there's no hope for the future. Keep adding to the offense by upgrading at WR and adding to the OL. Above all, add to the defense/LB, especially.

So, just so I understand you correctly, are you saying you would rather have Fitz than Newton, RGIII and Stafford?

So, just so I understand you correctly, are you saying you would rather have Fitz than Newton, RGIII and Stafford?

Stafford has probably the best WR in the NFL and he has seriously looked questionable at times. He's been around now a few years and the lions have yet to get over the hump.

Newton could possibly be a complete headcase and his record/stats speak for themselves.

RGIII I like a lot, but we'll see how healthy his career is..

What I'm saying is that I feel this offense can be successful with the offensive scheme in place and Fitz running it.

I'd obviously take Luck in a heartbeat..

Remind me what can't miss ILBs like Aaron curry and rolando McClain did?

What about Ernie sims? AJ hawk?

Mayo has been good but top ten good?

Keith rivers?

Just saying, for all those saying not all qbs pan out

I wouldn't trade a supposedly so-so qb like being discussed for 3 of those guys. Qbs are just far more important.

Edited by NoSaint

http://www.pro-footb...ame/drafted.htm

Theres my football "IQ". Besides Justin Tuck, and MAYBE unproven rookies, Floyd and Harrison Smith. Who has been relevant from that "overrated" university in the past 10+ years? Moron.

~30 ND players in the NFL so not sure what you are blathering about now. Regardless, that has NOTHING to do with your ignorant statement that ALL players on the current team are overrated.

If you think ALL players on ANY team are overrated, you obviously don't know what the word means. Are you 13? Do your parents know you're on the internet unsupervised?

~30 ND players in the NFL so not sure what you are blathering about now. Regardless, that has NOTHING to do with your ignorant statement that ALL players on the current team are overrated.

If you think ALL players on ANY team are overrated, you obviously don't know what the word means. Are you 13? Do your parents know you're on the internet unsupervised?

http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=overrated&o=0&l=dir

Looks like the definition is to appraise too high or overestimate.

So if every players talent is "overestimated"(I used a synonym for you there, let me know if you need that definition too), that must mean that they are assumed better than they really are. Barely any ND players have made any waves in the NFL in the last 20 years.

So stick with the facts and leave your childish insults for the playground.

http://m.dictionary....rated&o=0&l=dir

Looks like the definition is to appraise too high or overestimate.

So if every players talent is "overestimated"(I used a synonym for you there, let me know if you need that definition too), that must mean that they are assumed better than they really are. Barely any ND players have made any waves in the NFL in the last 20 years.

So stick with the facts and leave your childish insults for the playground.

Imagine that, none of the current ND players have made waves in the NFL.

:doh:

Past, now I know you're trolling. It's alright though pal, I know it's hard to back up any argument instead of using emoticons.

What do the current players have to do with past players?

I guess Jonny Manziel is overrated because hardly any Texas A&M players have made 'waves' in the last 20 years, huh?

What do the current players have to do with past players?

I guess Jonny Manziel is overrated because hardly any Texas A&M players have made 'waves' in the last 20 years, huh?

You know, except the first round QB that plays on the Dolphins right now? Analogies only work when the situations are the same. But again, someone who resorts to name-calling in an argument probably doesn't understand that.

Oh, and I didn't realize everyone on ND is a freshman this year. I thought maybe some of them have been playing on the team for the last 3 years, and have had one good season. But that doesn't sound like a recipe for draft busts at all.

Edited by FireChan

You know, except the first round QB that plays on the Dolphins right now? Analogies only work when the situations are the same. But again, someone who resorts to name-calling in an argument probably doesn't understand that.

Yes, you know, except for him (he looked incredible the other night by the way). I didn't realize that one first round rookie was the difference between players that are still in college being overrated or not.

Good job ducking the ridiculous fallacy in your argument that the quantity or quality of NFL players from a school has any bearing on the ones currently at that school.

Yes, you know, except for him (he looked incredible the other night by the way). I didn't realize that one first round rookie was the difference between players that are still in college being overrated or not.

Good job ducking the ridiculous fallacy in your argument that the quantity or quality of NFL players from a school has any bearing on the ones currently at that school.

One bad game makes a good player bad, huh? And one good season makes an entire team NFL superstars? I guess Tom Brady sucked after losing to Seattle, and Mario Williams is the best DE after our last game.

We can sum up our arguments as you being a knee-jerk response kind of person, while I look at the long term. I bet you thought Matt Barkley was phenomenal, but after tonight you hate him.

One bad game makes a good player bad, huh? And one good season makes an entire team NFL superstars? I guess Tom Brady sucked after losing to Seattle, and Mario Williams is the best DE after our last game.

We can sum up our arguments as you being a knee-jerk response kind of person, while I look at the long term. I bet you thought Matt Barkley was phenomenal, but after tonight you hate him.

Keep running further away from your arguement that you can determine whether college players are overrated by what guys who went to the same school are doing in the NFL. Good move.

Keep running further away from your arguement that you can determine whether college players are overrated by what guys who went to the same school are doing in the NFL. Good move.

So you don't think Alabama players on the whole are better NFL prospects than players from UB?

So you don't think Alabama players on the whole are better NFL prospects than players from UB?

What kind of stupid strawman is that supposed to be? Because Alabama is better than UB doesn't make the UB players "overrated".

Keep trying to dig out of your hole.

What kind of stupid strawman is that supposed to be? Because Alabama is better than UB doesn't make the UB players "overrated".

Keep trying to dig out of your hole.

If you think a ND player is the same NFL prospect as a Alabama player, solely based on their records this year, then you don't understand football. There's no other way to put it besides knee-jerk idiocy.

I can't wait for next season, and all you ND praisers can see how stupid you sounded.

If you think a ND player is the same NFL prospect as a Alabama player, solely based on their records this year, then you don't understand football. There's no other way to put it besides knee-jerk idiocy.

I can't wait for next season, and all you ND praisers can see how stupid you sounded.

The only knee jerk idiocy here is your laughable attempts at posting "I bet you think...." strawmen that don't address your ridiculous assertion about identifying overrated college players (much less assigning that label to every player on a team) based on the careers of current NFL players. And it doesn't matter if it's Notre Dame, UB or Alabama.

'Don't draft another californian QB' was a popular and equally silly sentiment on these boards over the years.

Sure ND is a highly exposed program but so is Alabama and lots of other tier 1 NCAA program. Is there a big school bias? Sure there is but to place a higher draft grade to a prospect from Alabama over ND because Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen haven't panned out isn't prudent.

To answer the original question. I am BPA kinda guy but I also subscribe to the theory that franchise QB trumps all. So QB if there is one there and if the Bills end up with Teo I would be OK with that as well.

The QB could come from the historically fertile QB schools such as Miami (OH), Purdue, Vanderbilt, Delaware, Baylor, Cal and Auburn.

As I said, using a schools history of producing impact NFL players as a draft screen is just plain silly.

Edited by agardin

Your posts are giving me cancer, please stop before I die.

Manti may be that once in a generation Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher type leader that an entire defense rallies around to elevate their play. ND is going to have every defensive senior drafted and that's not something I would have thought going into the season. Bob Diaco deserves a ton of credit but Teo is a special player.

Manti may be that once in a generation Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher type leader that an entire defense rallies around to elevate their play. ND is going to have every defensive senior drafted and that's not something I would have thought going into the season. Bob Diaco deserves a ton of credit but Teo is a special player.

Or he could be the next Aaron Curry, Rolando McClain, AJ Hawk, Keith Rivers... Just sayin'.

I hate ND with a passion, but I would take Te'o in a second if he were available. If you actually watched football with an objective eye, you'd "see how stupid you sounded".

It's no secret that Im a SEC homer, but Te'o is just as good as anything you'll find at Bama, UGA, or anywhere else.

This is a tough question because we desperately need to add some up and coming talent to the QB position.

I guess it comes down to: Can Te'o play OLB?

I know it was trendy to bash Sheppard earlier this year, but he is not the problem with our LB corp. The real weak link in that group is Barnett.

I actually believe Te'o could do well at Barnett's position in both the base D, and (more importantly) the Nickel. I wouldn't mind if it ended up Bradham/Sheppard/Te'o as our starting LBs.

Addressing QB is a major priority, but I dont know if I would take one over Te'o if he was there. I was hot on Geno Smith, and he is still my favorite QB in this draft, but it's a tough call. I definitely take Te'o over Barkley, Jones, Murray, Wilson, or any of the other QBs.

I hate ND with a passion, but I would take Te'o in a second if he were available. If you actually watched football with an objective eye, you'd "see how stupid you sounded".

I feel the same way. ND may be my least favorite college team (Trumping Ohio State, despite my being a Michigan fan) but Te'o is incredible. He has all the tangibles and intangibles that a star defensive player needs, and that Buffalo currently lacks.

Some of us old folks might argue that point! Kelly was the only HoF QB, but Jack Kemp and Joe Ferguson were definitely "franchise" guys who led the team for a lot of years and to a fair bit of success!

Your standards were too low! :P

Over the course of his career, Johnny Unitas averaged 7.8 yards per attempt. That's a higher career average than Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. If the best QB from Kemp's era could achieve a better yards per attempt than many of the best QBs of today, it suggests that yards per attempt may be a reasonably good way of comparing QBs across eras.

Jack Kemp achieved a career yards per attempt of 6.9. Typically, a QB has to achieve a career yards per attempt of 7.2 - 7.4 to be considered franchise.

In addition, Kemp was intercepted on 6.0% of his pass attempts. Compare that to Alex van Pelt's 5.0% interception rate; or JP Losman's 3.6% interception rate. (Incidentally, Kemp's career yards per attempt of 6.9 is in the same general neighborhood as Losman's career yards per attempt of 6.6.)

Like Losman, Ferguson also averaged 6.6 yards per attempt over the course of his career. Ferguson was intercepted on 4.6% of his throws. Nothing about those stats remotely suggests "franchise" to me.

I'd argue that Jack Kemp was another Alex Smith/Joe Flacco. Neither Smith nor Flacco are franchise QBs, but they're a step down from that. I'd argue that Ferguson was two steps down from being a franchise QB, and was probably no better than Fitz.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I feel the same way. ND may be my least favorite college team (Trumping Ohio State, despite my being a Michigan fan) but Te'o is incredible. He has all the tangibles and intangibles that a star defensive player needs, and that Buffalo currently lacks.

Also a Maize and Blue fan. Ohio State blows.

Just did a DraftTek Simulation where I Grabbed Manti Te'O with my first pick. Here is the simulation after making that pick:

1 9 Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame

2 40 Landry Jones QB Oklahoma

3 72 Cordarrelle Patterson WRF Tennessee

4 104 Jonathan Brown OLB43 Illinois

5 136 Denard Robinson WRS Michigan

That's as far as the DraftTek Simulator goes for right now, but I used my own Big Board to flesh out RD6-7 and UDFA depth:

6 168 Malliciah Goodman DE43 97 Clemson 6'4" 280

7 209 Cassius Marsh (Jr.) DT/TE 99 UCLA 6'3" 290

UDFA:

Hakeem Smith SS 29 Louisville 6'1"

188 Denicos Allen OLB43 28 Michigan State 5'11 232

D.J. Harper RB 7 Boise State 5'9" 205 Brad Sorensen QB 4 Southern Utah 6'4" 235 Kyle Van Noy OLB 3 BYU 6'3" 235 Sean Renfree QB 19 Duke 6'4" 225 LaDarius Perkins RBF 27 Mississippi State 5'10" 190 Ryan Griffin TE 94 Connecticut 6'5" 248 Ivory Wade OC 78 Baylor 6'4"

John Goodman WR 81 Notre Dame 6'3"

This taught me a few things.

One, the sky won't fall if we take Te'O with the first pick.

Two, guys like Landry Jones, EJ Manuel, Tyler Bray, and Aaron Murray might be in the mix for a RD2 pick. There will also be QB depth later (Renfree, Sorenson, Glennon, McCarron)

Three, we can wait at positions like WR and D-Line in this draft and get quality.

Just did a DraftTek Simulation where I Grabbed Manti Te'O with my first pick. Here is the simulation after making that pick:

That's as far as the DraftTek Simulator goes for right now, but I used my own Big Board to flesh out RD6-7 and UDFA depth:

UDFA:

D.J. Harper RB 7 Boise State 5'9" 205 Brad Sorensen QB 4 Southern Utah 6'4" 235 Kyle Van Noy OLB 3 BYU 6'3" 235 Sean Renfree QB 19 Duke 6'4" 225 LaDarius Perkins RBF 27 Mississippi State 5'10" 190 Ryan Griffin TE 94 Connecticut 6'5" 248 Ivory Wade OC 78 Baylor 6'4"

Two, guys like Landry Jones, EJ Manuel, Tyler Bray, and Aaron Murray might be in the mix for a RD2 pick. There will also be QB depth later (Renfree, Sorenson, Glennon, McCarron)

Three, we can wait at positions like WR and D-Line in this draft and get quality.

Can't beat that draft as it's almost as good as mine :P

UDFA:

Seriously flawed. Landry Jones isn't as hyped as Andrew Luck. B-)

I know it was trendy to bash Sheppard earlier this year, but he is not the problem with our LB corp. The real weak link in that group is Barnett.

It's not only trendy to bash Sheppard, it's correct. He is the worst MLB in the NFL and it's not close. He doesn't fill his gap, can't shed, and misses the tackles he can get to with shocking regularity. On top of that he can't cover or recover. Terrible, terrible football player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.