Manti Teo vs. best QB in this draft

tito1

Your crusade for Landry Jones is ridiculous. He is terrible.

Landry Jones would set the Bills back another decade.

Yawn, Tannehill sucks too.

Geez. No talk of upgrading LB. Tajh Boyd? I'd hope to land a better QB than him

It's my opinion that you're smoking crack BB. He's a deer in headlights when I watch him face any sort of pressure.

did you see the ND game?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And How Many super Bowls Has Phillip Rivers been in ? The Fact remains that Glennon grades out at a 4th to 5th round pick he could be the 5th best QB in the draft & it wouldn't matter its base on other players grading higher then him at other positions that would drop him down

You don't take a QB if you need a DT you take the the best DT available, Tyler Wilson has a first round grade but he might slip to the 2nd round & there might not be a RB picked till the 3rd round this draft because its all based on need

this is how you get into the mess the bills are in. you dont take a lesser player because it is a need. thank god you arent a GM

this is how you get into the mess the bills are in. you dont take a lesser player because it is a need. thank god you arent a GM

You don't know much about the Draft If you pick a CB then at your next Pick the best player Available is a CB you don't take him if you don't need him you take the best available player at your need otherwise you could have a team full of the same positional players

What about Klein from KSU. The next big Ben to be had in the 3rd round.

I'd say if your going to move up get Manei Teo in the first & take Klien in the second , i say that b/c everyone else is not all that hi on Klien ..

They are thinking that Barkley (gag me) is going to be top bill , if we go for him it will be Rob the retard all over again , we need to steer totaly away from any QB that comes out of USC the proof plays every sunday !!!

Oh and if you haven't noticed they lose !!

Edited by T master

What about Klein from KSU. The next big Ben to be had in the 3rd round.

Say Yes to Optimus Klein!!

Klein would rate out as a 5th or 6th rounder, He is saw as Tebow Type with just a better arm

Aaron Murray Could be a late 2nd early 3rd steal, good size, Smart & good arm really underrated

Who wouldn't want a Tim Tebow type with a better arm and accuracy?

If we could re-do the 2011 draft I would take Christian Ponder over everyone else and I dont think anyone would say he was/is BPA, even in hindsight.

Take the QB.

PS: I have little confidence in NIx actually finding a ood QB. He has passed on Dalton, Ponder, and Wilson in the past few drafts, and its not like the guys he did take are lighting it up.

Have you watched- watched, not seen the statistics from- Ponder this year? He's not going to be an elite QB.

Nassib is not going to be a a 5th rounder.

Who Going To Take Him you have 5 other prospects ahead of him & he is only rated the 7th best QB to start

Say Yes to Optimus Klein!!

Who wouldn't want a Tim Tebow type with a better arm and accuracy?

I said Better not Greater & like Tebow His Accuracy isn't the best I do believe you can improve that but he is project

Edited by Matt183

C.J. Mosley

Alec Ogletree

Chase Thomas

Gerald Hodges

Sean Porter

Michael Mauti

Nico Johnson

Here are 7 LB other than Jarvis Jones or Manti Te'o That are high quality LB remember last draft everyone wanted Luke Kuechly he was gonna be a superstar well how is that working out so far he is not dominating there is always value at LB in later rounds

C.J. Mosley

Alec Ogletree

Chase Thomas

Gerald Hodges

Sean Porter

Michael Mauti

Nico Johnson

Here are 7 LB other than Jarvis Jones or Manti Te'o That are high quality LB remember last draft everyone wanted Luke Kuechly he was gonna be a superstar well how is that working out so far he is not dominating there is always value at LB in later rounds

He is not dominating? Are you serious? He is going to win defensive rookie of the year quite easily. I would take him over Gilmore in a second. Look at Von Miller the year before him who got taken first as a LB. He won rookie of the year last year and already is LEADING the league in sacks at 10. LBs are game changers just as much as a QB can be some times. LB+QB in the first 2 rounds, always going at BPA in those 2 spots though.

He is not dominating? Are you serious? He is going to win defensive rookie of the year quite easily. I would take him over Gilmore in a second. Look at Von Miller the year before him who got taken first as a LB. He won rookie of the year last year and already is LEADING the league in sacks at 10. LBs are game changers just as much as a QB can be some times. LB+QB in the first 2 rounds, always going at BPA in those 2 spots though.

Bruce Irvin might have something to say about ROY he has 7 sack this season

Kuechly is 3rd in the league in tackles. Only behind Mayo and Greenway. Irvin is tied for 10th in sacks. Irvin has 10 tackles on the year so far ^_^

Tackles are an overrated statistic. Kuechly has been good, but it's false to say that "he is going to win the rookie of the year quite easily." He is a good NFL starter, but not even close to being on the level of Von Miller.

There were 7 QB's taken in the First 3 Rounds last year by 6 Teams & there are 9 teams needing QB, 2 needing starters the other 7 don't need Back ups or Replacement starter right away So they are going to wait till later rounds 5 to 6 to get on with a higher value Teams are looking hard for DB's & Cover LB's for a Pass League & those first 4 pick are precious so you don't spend on a QB when you don't need one especially when you need positional players that also play ST & not sitting with a clipboard

which is not you,

Nix drafted Batten I drank the Kool-aid, never saw batten play so I learned my lesson, don't hype any one I haven't seen, how about you.

Why would I have ever though Danny Batten was going to be a special player?

I've seen just about every game Landry Jones has played in.

He's no Sam Bradford.

He's not even a good Brandon Weeden

He's not mobile.

I'm not impressed by his accuracy.

I question his pocket presence.

And I question his decision making past his first read.

He's not clutch

I've not read or heard anything about him being the type of leader the two previous OK QB's I mentioned were.

Heck, every time OU gets inside the 10 they put in Blake Bell to get them a TD. If Jones is a future "franchise" QB, why would you take him out of the game when your team is in scoring position? If your backup QB Blake Bell running the ball in is more dependable than your "franchise" QB getting you a TD, there are issues.

But hey, he has good size and stats, and you've heard his name, so let's take him. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't know whether you're trying to imply that LBs are comparable in value to QBs. But if you are, you're wrong. An Aaron Rodgers changes the game in a way that a Greg Lloyd or a Chris Spielman does not.

You could say, well what about Lawrence Taylor? Two things about that: 1) Not even Lawrence Taylor created nearly the same impact as Aaron Rodgers. 2) Lawrence Taylor played the pass rushing LB in a 3-4 scheme; which is a lot like playing RDE in a 4-3. Someone playing the position Taylor played will be asked to rush the passer a lot more often than will any LB in a 4-3 scheme.

As for the Kuechley versus Gilmore comparison: LB is a position at which a player can often come in and make a big impact his rookie year. At CB, it often takes a bit longer to adjust. Gilmore clearly has the athletic tools he needs to succeed. He's just making rookie mistakes. If, a few years from now, he's still not grasping the mental side of the game--much like McKelvin--then there's a problem.

I don't know whether you're trying to imply that LBs are comparable in value to QBs. But if you are, you're wrong. An Aaron Rodgers changes the game in a way that a Greg Lloyd or a Chris Spielman does not.

You could say, well what about Lawrence Taylor? Two things about that: 1) Not even Lawrence Taylor created nearly the same impact as Aaron Rodgers. 2) Lawrence Taylor played the pass rushing LB in a 3-4 scheme; which is a lot like playing RDE in a 4-3. Someone playing the position Taylor played will be asked to rush the passer a lot more often than will any LB in a 4-3 scheme.

As for the Kuechley versus Gilmore comparison: LB is a position at which a player can often come in and make a big impact his rookie year. At CB, it often takes a bit longer to adjust. Gilmore clearly has the athletic tools he needs to succeed. He's just making rookie mistakes. If, a few years from now, he's still not grasping the mental side of the game--much like McKelvin--then there's a problem.

This.

I think a lot of fans mistake the different LB postions. A QB is always > any other postion. Just below QB is players that rush the QB, ie an outside LB in a 3-4 or a DE in a 4-3. A MLB, which is what Teo is, does not have nearly as much impact on the game as the 2 previous positions I said. Just look at pay scale.

MLB's have almost become like RB's. Meaning you can find really good ones in the later rounds and don't need to waste a 1st on one.

Who you got? This qb class looks pretty weak o me, so curious if everyone still would want qb(with all the problems with Fitzy this year), or one of the most dominant defensive and leaders in college football this year

1st we need to hire Pollian back as President & his son as GM then 1st round go get Manti Teo, Pollian isn't afraid to go after a future changing player & 2nd round Tyler Wilson ... He meets all of Parcells 5 things you need to draft a good QB

I agree that we need a playmaking LB. But for me, the need for a true Franchise/difference making QB is more important to the long term success of the team. We have drafed no later than 12th in Rd1 since 2006 yet we have never taken a QB even though we don't have a good one. I think this is a huge mistake. I think the Bills should decide which QB in this year's class is their guy and do whatever it take to get him. If you have to trade 4 #1 picks, to get him then you do it. We havent had much success with our first round picks anyway so we wouldnt be giving up much. I would give our last 6 #1 picks to get RGIII.

The problem with my logic here, unfortunately, is that I have no faith in this FO to identify the correct QB or to pull off a trade to get him. I personally don't expect any major improvement in the team until Mr Wilson is no longer the owner. Even if we cleaned house this year, we cannot get anybody good to come in as President, GM, CEO, Coach, Trainer, Waterboy, etc. So, i have resigned myself to waiting and living through a few more years of miserable football before things hopefully turn around under new ownership. I know, I know, the new owner will move them to LA. I don't think there is much chance of the Bills ever leaving Buffalo, but if it does happen, I'd rather it happen sooner rather than later. Get it over with and let me get on with my life. It's like having your wife threaten to leave you every day. While it would suck for her to leave, if she's going to do it, go ahead and get it over with.

Sticking to your board is dumb when you have players the are closely ranked together but you take the BPA when you really need that other player. How much difference is there really between the top 20 through the third round? Not a whole heck of a lot.

Look at our draft this year ,Nix has said he sticks to his board no matter what and we passed by players that could have helped this team (QBs Wilson, Foles 3rd round) and cut or traded our last 4 picks. Did we really need a guard, which we have a ton of, in the sixth round when there talented WRS and Safetys available that we really needed? You have to go get the players you want just like Dallas who could be great if not for their QB. There was Talk that the Bills would have taken Tannehill if he was there, if so then they should have traded up to get him.

Here's what we should have done:

1. QB Ryan Tannehill 6'4" 222 Tex A&M (trade our first and second to miami)

3. TE Michael Egnew 6'5" 252 Missouri

4. LB Nigel Bradham 6'2" 241 FSU

4. CB Ron Brooks 5'11" 188 LSU

5. WR/RB Chris Rainey 5"9 180 Florida

5. SS George Iloka 6'4" 225 Boise State

6. WR Tommy Streeter 6'5" 219 Miami

7. LT Andrew Datko 6'6" 315 FSU

7. LB Vontaze Burfict 6'1" 245 Arizona ST.

Why trade up for Tannehill when we could of traded for RGIII. I know it would of cost why more in picks but u get a once in a lifetime type QB for the next 12-15 yrs.

I like your draft but instead of picking Rainey I'm picking Josh Norman. Kid is a baller already starting at CB for the Panthers

I want the LB and then get a first or second round guy next year. I hate the square peg into a round hole. If the best player is a LB take the LB. If the best player is a QB take the QB. I'm with you, the QB's don't look like RGIII or Luck.

As long as that first QB in the draft isn't Barkley i'm all in , that guy reminds me way to much of Sanchez , Linehert , Palmer to take a number 1 on him !!

Please Buddy don't take Barkley !!!!

Thanks for proving my point.

Proving your point? How? Do you believe the Broncos have had an elite defense since Elway has been gone? Uhhh, no. They did however have a great defense when Elway finally got his rings. Also, they had a Franchise QB in Cutler and a top talent @ WR in Marshall since Elway. Where did they make it to? Landry Jones is your latest attempt at a crusade for mentally inept QB's. Can't wait to see who it will be next year. :thumbsup:

It was all too predictable.

Fitz will look better against weaker teams, Buddy & Chan will not open up the competition and its at least one more season with no QB in Buffalo.

Should have kept Vince Young when we had him...

1. QB Ryan Tannehill 6'4" 222 Tex A&M (trade our first and second to miami)

3. TE Michael Egnew 6'5" 252 Missouri

4. LB Nigel Bradham 6'2" 241 FSU

4. CB Ron Brooks 5'11" 188 LSU

5. WR/RB Chris Rainey 5"9 180 Florida

5. SS George Iloka 6'4" 225 Boise State

6. WR Tommy Streeter 6'5" 219 Miami

7. LT Andrew Datko 6'6" 315 FSU

7. LB Vontaze Burfict 6'1" 245 Arizona ST.

Yuck. Who's our OLT after this - Hairston??? And what do our CB's look like when Aaron Williams in the initial number 1 CB??

We are much better off with the draft as is.

Tannehill looks OK, but I wouldn't trade Glenn and Gilmore for him straight up today.

Edited by BobChalmers

QB's are more important than LBs, and though the Bills need more help at LB, the real question, as always, is whether or not there even IS a game-changing QB available in the draft. There really are years with none.

Friends, I give you the first round of the 2007 draft: There are 3 sure HoF players on this list, and a couple more with a chance if their teams start winning SB's. Both of the two QB's in the first round were total busts. One of the 3 Hall of Famers was the MLB Patrick Willis. Arguably, Trent Edwards (3rd round) was as good as any QB in this class, although I'll still give Kolb (2nd round) the edge.

1 1 JaMarcus Russell Raiders QB Louisiana State 2 2 Calvin Johnson Lions WR Georgia Tech 3 3 Joe Thomas Browns T Wisconsin 4 4 Gaines Adams Buccaneers DE Clemson 5 5 Levi Brown Cardinals T Penn State 6 6 LaRon Landry Redskins DB Louisiana State 7 7 Adrian Peterson Vikings RB Oklahoma 8 8 Jamaal Anderson Falcons DE Arkansas 9 9 Ted Ginn Jr. Dolphins WR Ohio State 10 10 Amobi Okoye Texans DT Louisville 11 11 Patrick Willis 49ers LB Mississippi 12 12 Marshawn Lynch Bills RB California 13 13 Adam Carriker Rams DE Nebraska 14 14 Darrelle Revis Jets DB Pittsburgh 15 15 Lawrence Timmons Steelers LB Florida State 16 16 Justin Harrell Packers DT Tennessee 17 17 Jarvis Moss Broncos DE Florida 18 18 Leon Hall Bengals DB Michigan 19 19 Michael Griffin Titans DB Texas 20 20 Aaron Ross Giants DB Texas 21 21 Reggie Nelson Jaguars DB Florida 22 22 Brady Quinn Browns QB Notre Dame 23 23 Dwayne Bowe Chiefs WR Louisiana State 24 24 Brandon Meriweather Patriots DB Miami (FL) 25 25 Jon Beason Panthers LB Miami (FL) 26 26 Anthony Spencer Cowboys DE Purdue 27 27 Robert Meachem Saints WR Tennessee 28 28 Joe Staley 49ers T Central Michigan 29 29 Ben Grubbs Ravens G Auburn 30 30 Craig Davis Chargers WR Louisiana State 31 31 Greg Olsen Bears TE Miami (FL) 32 32 Anthony Gonzalez Colts WR Ohio State

Edited by BobChalmers

In 2008, the Miami Dolphins held the first pick in the draft.

The debate was between:

1) Jake Long

Considered by many to be the best left tackle to come out of the draft since Anthony Munoz, and easily the safest pick in the draft.

2) Matt Ryan

The best quarterback in a weak draft class, who played at a small school and had lots of question marks.

Parcells went with Jake Long, who has gone on to make 4 Pro Bowls. Until getting injured 2 seasons ago, he was widely considered the best left tackle in football, and most still consider him one of the elite players at the position. Ryan has made 1 Pro Bowl and is generally considered "just outside" the elite group. Few would argue that Long has been the better player thus far.

Yet if you ask any Dolphins fan or individual within the organization.... if they had to do over, they would pick Ryan in a heartbeat.

No single player has more impact on an NFL team than the quarterback.

You did not read the entire conversation. I agree with everything your saying, but the guy I was talking with stated Kuechly is not really making a difference on his team, I was just pointing out that is not true.

QB's are more important than LBs, and though the Bills need more help at LB, the real question, as always, is whether or not there even IS a game-changing QB available in the draft. There really are years with none.

Friends, I give you the first round of the 2007 draft: There are 3 sure HoF players on this list, and a couple more with a chance if their teams start winning SB's. Both of the two QB's in the first round were total busts. One of the 3 Hall of Famers was the MLB Patrick Willis. Arguably, Trent Edwards (3rd round) was as good as any QB in this class, although I'll still give Kolb (2nd round) the edge.

> QB's are more important than LBs, and though the Bills need more help at LB, the real question, as

> always, is whether or not there even IS a game-changing QB available in the draft. There really are years with none.

A very excellent point. This is why a disciplined approach to team building is so important. Like you said, there are some drafts in which there just isn't a real franchise QB available. That's why a GM has to see things as they are; without allowing himself to be led astray by wishful thinking. If you take a QB based on wishful thinking, then not only will you waste draft picks, you'll also deny yourself opportunities to draft real QBs. Examples: in 2001, TD drafted Nate Clements instead of Drew Brees. This was largely because TD had convinced himself that Rob Johnson was probably going to be the long-term answer. In 2005, Aaron Rodgers was drafted late in the first round--by the Green Bay Packers, not the Buffalo Bills. Partly that was because TD didn't have a first round pick in 2005; having traded it for Losman. Nor did TD see a need to attempt to trade into the late first round of the 2005 draft. Why do a trade like that for Aaron Rodgers, when you already have Losman on the roster?

If avoiding the wrong guy is half the battle, the other half consists of doing whatever it takes to get the right guy. When the right guy comes along, you have to take him! Trade up, trade away players, do whatever you have to--but get that right guy! There has been one franchise QB in Bills' team history: Jim Kelly. The Bills haven't been back to the Super Bowl since Kelly retired. That is not a coincidence. Getting a QB of Kelly's caliber is a franchise-altering event; and creates a decade long window of opportunity in which to win the Super Bowl.

If avoiding the wrong guy is half the battle, the other half consists of doing whatever it takes to get the right guy. When the right guy comes along, you have to take him! Trade up, trade away players, do whatever you have to--but get that right guy! There has been one franchise QB in Bills' team history: Jim Kelly. The Bills haven't been back to the Super Bowl since Kelly retired. That is not a coincidence. Getting a QB of Kelly's caliber is a franchise-altering event; and creates a decade long window of opportunity in which to win the Super Bowl.

Some of us old folks might argue that point! Kelly was the only HoF QB, but Jack Kemp and Joe Ferguson were definitely "franchise" guys who led the team for a lot of years and to a fair bit of success!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.