Retractable-roof stadium proposed for outer harbor

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I feel kind of torn right now. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the idea of knowing that the team would def remain in Buffalo and that we would have an up to date stadium, which in turn makes us a more serious franchise and one that is serious about winning. My only problem is the retractable roof. I may be part of the minority, but I really love winter games at the ralph with the snow falling and the cold air. It just feels like old school bills football to me and it has played to our advantage (more so during the 90's) but still. Anyone else kind of feel that way?

Edited by DocLawless

Legitimate question- even though this will never happen, but let us dream for a second- let's say the Bills are good someday, I don't know, 15, 20 years from now, what percentage of Bills fans would want them to close the roof for a meaningful game on a 30 degree December day with flurries? I wish they would just build a regular outdoor stadium on the waterfront with real grass. OK back to reality...

Could it be left open for all football games and closed for convention events? How does this solve our need for a legitimate qb and coaching staff? Will we resign byrd and levrite? Why did we release Moorman, Powell is terrible. Why didn't we go for two?

Of course, building something like this will first require a detailed study which will be done by well-paid government employees with generous benefits and will take years to complete.

Then, it will also require the construction of an "interpretative center" adjacent to the stadium, describing the role that LGBT and Native Americans had in the creation of the stadium.

Hmmm, I feel kind of torn right now. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the idea of knowing that the team would def remain in Buffalo and that we would have an up to date stadium, which in turn makes us a more serious franchise and one that is serious about winning. My only problem is the retractable roof. I may be part of the minority, but I really love winter games at the ralph with the snow falling and the cold air. It just feels like old school bills football to me and it has played to our advantage (more so during the 90's) but still. Anyone else kind of feel that way?

Yes but to be multi purpose it needs to be doomed, maybe they will keep open for all Bills games though. :thumbsup:

I love everything about it. The cost is so high because of the whole package that it includes. Not sure if we need all of that. Hines Field is a great example. Don't need something Dallas like here. We def need more parking than the proposed 5,000 spots tho

I love everything about it. The cost is so high because of the whole package that it includes. Not sure if we need all of that. Hines Field is a great example. Don't need something Dallas like here. We def need more parking than the proposed 5,000 spots tho

Screw Dallas, no reason we can't have better stadium than them, then we can really be North America's team.

$1.4 billion. Many thought Jerry Jones spent too much on the Dallas stadium, I cannot imagine what the sentiment would be if more were to be spent on the Bills...

Are the open roof stadiums tough for the players? In and out of the sun like that?

The Ralph complex has parking for 12,000 cars 300 buses and 250 limos. I would guess off complex parking would be another 5,000 cars. I wonder if they think fans will be coming by boat to the dumb stadium?

Edited by Hammered a Lot

I just recently moved back to Buffalo this year, and have been a Bills fan a long time. I have been following the latest news and reports on Ralph and the Bills for a while. Though I don't BILLIEVE the Bills are losing games for a better draft, I do however and have been saying the Bills have an owner in place. I have felt this way for a while and though no real proof I did discuse with a very close family friend of how and why.

The Buffalo area has said it was going to get a deal done for the Ralph to get upgrades and that the deal would be done this year. I never once bought that notion. For the team to stay in Orchard Park is useless and not at all a good business plan. The reasoning why is that there's nothing out there and it's 20 minutes or so from Buffalo? What were they thinking???? Anyways a new owner ship would never buy into the Bills being in Orchard Park but would want the team closer to Canada and easier for Rochester and even Syracuse to make the trip to Buffallo. By doing so even if its 20 minutes, it brings more people into Buffalo and with a few ghotels and a shuttle people would stay the night downtown by the water. Remember Terry P. of the Sabres wants to bring Buffalo back. I don't know if many of you have been to downtown lately but coming back after 20 years away, downtown is starting to revive itself with the waterfront and the canal they are developing. To put a stadium on the outer harber is exactly the place top be as that is bigtime land to develop and make Buffalo a nicer place to want to be. I for one truly BILLIEVE that Terry P. maybe even Rich family, and Jacobs have teamed up and want to develop this the right way from behind the scenes with not a person knowing. No firm will put together such a display of a new stadium for free but leak it out when the toime is right. Ralph gets to stay owner until the end like he has always wanted and the team goes to a person who is all about the area and not his pocket like Pegula. Call it wishful thinking or a hunch but only someone like that can do something like this. It would be the very best thing for the city and the team. If Ed Kilgor reads this please back me up because I think you know something as well.

In closing ask yourself who would come out and do something like this if it wasn't being backed? Companies need money to produce drawings and design engineers and architects are not cheap and don't do drawings for free. Trust me on that one.

<sigh> yeah. i love the cold-weather games.

while i'm fairly certain this is all a pipe dream, i did almost pee myself seeing that picture. i'm not big on indoor football, but it would certainly put us back on the map. also, it would definitely help in recruiting higher quality free agents. i would assume there would be potential to host a super bowl as well. and i would say open her up when it snows...!!

I have no problem with a domed stadium, and would actually consider buying season tickets if we ever got one. I have several issues with this proposal...

1 - Location. OP is the perfect spot, and if they ever decide to build a new stadium, it should be built where one of the existing stadium lots are today.

2 - Convention Center. Forget about it. We barely have use for the one we have now, and Buffalo is not exactly the mecca of convention destinations. Can you imagine going to a convention, and finding out there is nothing else there but a barren waterfront?

3 - Retractable Roof. Waste of money. Either open air stadium or dome. Not both.

4 - Ownership. A new stadium proposal should not even be open for discussion, until new Bills ownership is in place. In the meantime, spend the 100+ million on fixing up RWS.

Hmmm, I feel kind of torn right now. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the idea of knowing that the team would def remain in Buffalo and that we would have an up to date stadium, which in turn makes us a more serious franchise and one that is serious about winning. My only problem is the retractable roof. I may be part of the minority but I really love winter games at the ralph with the snow falling and the cold air. It just feels like old school bills football to me and it has played to our advantage (more so during the 90's) but still. Anyone else kind of feel that way?

Given the history of ticket sales for December games I'd say you are.

But with the uncertainty of the teams future in WNY I can't imagine anyone building any new stadium, much less an expensive one.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I just recently moved back to Buffalo this year, and have been a Bills fan a long time. I have been following the latest news and reports on Ralph and the Bills for a while. Though I don't BILLIEVE the Bills are losing games for a better draft, I do however and have been saying the Bills have an owner in place. I have felt this way for a while and though no real proof I did discuse with a very close family friend of how and why.

The Buffalo area has said it was going to get a deal done for the Ralph to get upgrades and that the deal would be done this year. I never once bought that notion. For the team to stay in Orchard Park is useless and not at all a good business plan. The reasoning why is that there's nothing out there and it's 20 minutes or so from Buffalo? What were they thinking???? Anyways a new owner ship would never buy into the Bills being in Orchard Park but would want the team closer to Canada and easier for Rochester and even Syracuse to make the trip to Buffallo. By doing so even if its 20 minutes, it brings more people into Buffalo and with a few ghotels and a shuttle people would stay the night downtown by the water. Remember Terry P. of the Sabres wants to bring Buffalo back. I don't know if many of you have been to downtown lately but coming back after 20 years away, downtown is starting to revive itself with the waterfront and the canal they are developing. To put a stadium on the outer harber is exactly the place top be as that is bigtime land to develop and make Buffalo a nicer place to want to be. I for one truly BILLIEVE that Terry P. maybe even Rich family, and Jacobs have teamed up and want to develop this the right way from behind the scenes with not a person knowing. No firm will put together such a display of a new stadium for free but leak it out when the toime is right. Ralph gets to stay owner until the end like he has always wanted and the team goes to a person who is all about the area and not his pocket like Pegula. Call it wishful thinking or a hunch but only someone like that can do something like this. It would be the very best thing for the city and the team. If Ed Kilgor reads this please back me up because I think you know something as well.

In closing ask yourself who would come out and do something like this if it wasn't being backed? Companies need money to produce drawings and design engineers and architects are not cheap and don't do drawings for free. Trust me on that one.

From what I heard, Mario is dragging his feet. He is all about the NYC and the Albany areas and could care less about WNY that's why there is no new leased agreement. When a new stadium is built ticket prices increase roughly 25%. Can Route 5 handle all the dumb stadium traffic. I think not. Why was the stadium built in SAFE Orchard Park. In a new study Buffalo, Not WNY was rated as the 10 most dangerous city. Yep the dumb stadium will create jobs but they would be the wrong type of jobs.

I was at the Titans game. I was also at the UB game Saturday. The wind was bad, especially at UB Stadium. Luckily it wasn't too cold but November, December it will be. Putting anything along the lake means punishing winds on some days.

Instead of a retractable roof, which is really a waste of money considering how few days you would want to open it, just build a permanent roof AND build wind barriers for fans coming into the stadium.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Of course, building something like this will first require a detailed study which will be done by well-paid government employees with generous benefits and will take years to complete.

Then, it will also require the construction of an "interpretative center" adjacent to the stadium, describing the role that LGBT and Native Americans had in the creation of the stadium.

Ralph's point exactly!

Sounds great... I don't see any way it would ever actually happen though, and there are a number of problems with it.

Here are a few things that don't make sense to me...

1) I don't see how Buffalo can afford, or would move forward with a $1.4 Billion plan...

2) As the company states, it has not even talked to the NFL, the Bills or NYS... It has no backing.

3) Ralph is borderline senile at this point, and there's a good chance he wouldn't be alive to see it through. Getting him to sign on seems unlikely to me. It's pretty clear to me that Ralph is only interested in the status quo until he is gone.

Those pining for an open air stadium, I agree to a point. However a project of this cost would HAVE to be retractable roof. The whole idea behind getting such an expensive stadium is that it would be a convention center, PAC, ect... You can't do that with an open air stadium. Besides, there is no one saying the stadium wouldn't be open for the Bills even in cold snowy weather...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Sounds great... I don't see any way it would ever actually happen though, and there are a number of problems with it.

Here are a few things that don't make sense to me...

1) I don't see how Buffalo can afford, or would move forward with a $1.4 Billion plan...

2) As the company states, it has not even talked to the NFL, the Bills or NYS... It has no backing.

3) Ralph is borderline senile at this point, and there's a good chance he wouldn't be alive to see it through. Getting him to sign on seems unlikely to me. It's pretty clear to me that Ralph is only interested in the status quo until he is gone.

Those pining for an open air stadium, I agree to a point. However a project of this cost would HAVE to be retractable roof. The whole idea behind getting such an expensive stadium is that it would be a convention center, PAC, ect... You can't do that with an open air stadium. Besides, there is no saying the stadium wouldn't be open for the Bills even in cold snowy weather...

What is a PAC?

Also, read my post on the convention center part of this plan. It would be an ENORMOUS WASTE OF MONEY!

They would build a retractable roof stadium, and the Bills would have it open on a cold, snowy day? Pass the bong. :lol:

And don't forget the good citizens of WNY picking up the $1.4B tab. Oh wait, make that $1.8B. Those darn union cost overruns you know!

Completely absurd for anyone to waste even five minutes on such a 'plan'.

What is a PAC?

Also, read my post on the convention center part of this plan. It would be an ENORMOUS WASTE OF MONEY!

They would build a retractable roof stadium, and the Bills would have it open on a cold, snowy day? Pass the bong. :lol:

Sorry, performing arts center.

LOL, and I was just saying in theory, they could leave it open. Not necessarily saying they would...