Retractable-roof stadium proposed for outer harbor

Who will pay for it?

Stracich said $$$ from unnamed sponsors, The NFL, Unions and the hope that the governor will give x amount of funding. this from todays Buffalo Common Council proposed stadium meeting. Stracich partner Hasiotis said the NFL has the biggest investment in these types of facilities? Also said is that the traffic around the Ralph is the worst in the NFL. When question about traffic around the new stadium they had no clue and said we have 5 years to figure it out! And on 1080wufo am Pat Freemen said that it's time to bring the stadium home and remember to get your apprentice applications because 20% of the job will be going to minorities.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not Obama can just print us the money that no problem !! The Bills deserve a new home and so do the fans , the Ralph has had a lot of good memories but we need to stay viable & this is a way to do so plus boost the possibility of a SB in the future ...

You never know !!!

Indianapolis is an established midwest convention city with the hotel base to support large conventions. Most of the things you listed would not justify use of a 70,000 seat stadium here in Buffalo, but believe what you will.

Ooookay then,,,,just trying to be a little positive here. The City Hall meeting today did confirm that they want something to be used more than 8-10 times a year. This stadium idea hinges alot on things other than NFL football to occupy it.

retractable roof? Why don't we have a drop-floor so that in games like the Bills have been playing this season someone can trigger it and the whole friggin team will disappear?

Well, given the way the franchise has been led lately I wouldn't be surprised if they do drop through the floor and end up in LA or somewhere.

72,000 seats is way to many, should be somewhere between 55,000 and 65,000 at the most.

Probably but if the Bills are winning, it's perfectly fine. For a playoff caliber team, fans will drive hours to come to the games. I know it won't happen but why not? Dream big. I'm sick of the loser WNY mentality. All we do is sit back, talk about things, and they never happen. Get big time concerts, NCAA bowl games (Chicken Wing Bowl boom) & hoops finals, religious festivals, hell a CFL game, do whatever you can do. Dream big.

I have no problem with a domed stadium, and would actually consider buying season tickets if we ever got one. I have several issues with this proposal...

1 - Location. OP is the perfect spot, and if they ever decide to build a new stadium, it should be built where one of the existing stadium lots are today.

2 - Convention Center. Forget about it. We barely have use for the one we have now, and Buffalo is not exactly the mecca of convention destinations. Can you imagine going to a convention, and finding out there is nothing else there but a barren waterfront?

3 - Retractable Roof. Waste of money. Either open air stadium or dome. Not both.

4 - Ownership - A new stadium proposal should not even be open for discussion, until new Bills ownership is in place. In the meantime, spend the 100+ million on fixing up RWS.

I have a rebuttal to your banter

1. OP is a terrible spot for the community/region. It's great for 8-13 days per...if the Bills ever go back to the playoffs. So for now we'll go with 10.

2. Convention Center - the reason Buffalo isn't a hot spot for conventions is because the current one is 476 years old and the surrounding infrastructure stinks. Pittsburgh has plenty of conventions, as does Cleveland and Idny..... Even in the winter...go figure.

3. Retractable Roof - Why limit yourself to one or the other? I was just in Az for the Bills/Cards game and going from 95 degrees to A/C was fantastic. If it was 80 they would have had the roof open. Not to mention how good it would feel going from -10 to 70. Be openminded with the flexibility of having a retractable roof.

4. Ownership - Do you want serious buyers with serious money and a commitment to Buffalo? If yes, build now so you have a selling point. If not, put lipstick on the pig...

Just my $.02...

The Bills have the lowest ticket prices in the NFL. Obviously a new stadium would increase those prices but they'd still need to work on a volume model, IMO.

I've never been there but I'm told Indy is a very nice city that has had competent people building the urban core for many years now.

Indy is the 12th largest city in the U.S. and is its downtown is considered one of the best among U.S. cities.

And all this without Buffalo's beautiful waterfront, Canadian tourism and Buffalo Wings!! Imagine the possibilities!! I would even consider moving back once they city got their S*^% together.

Edited by johnnywo

Rocco Termini was on Channel 2 this morning proposing to put the stadium in Hamilton. This is what Schopp and the Bulldog were talking about when I was in the car:

http://www.wgrz.com/...amilton-Ontario

Hamilton is going to be breaking ground for a brand new 30,000 seat CFL stadium in a few weeks. Took them quite some time for the funding. I would bet they arent going to be willing to plop a competing stadium down at the same time

I still say put it on the REZ east of niagara falls......--get all sorts of tax breaks w some minority native american ownership. Smoke signals early sunday to signify an at home war coming up. Wild west buffalo bill cody type shows at halftime and in the offseason--let the Indians win a lot to keep it politically correct. Make it an international destination.---Easy access from rochester up 31 or 33 or 18 --easy access from canada obviously. Tons of parking out there and cheeeap gasoline. Build an Iroquois nation park and history museum around it..

...and then the Chief quietly put the peacepipe down, smiled, and glancing at the young maiden, he gestured that it was time to leave.

wait.... what were we talking about?