Retractable-roof stadium proposed for outer harbor

...but definitely if you want this stadium to be used more than 8 times a year. Retractable roof would get some nice events in there all year round. Great proposal.

There is nice weather all summer in OP, and yet RWS stadium sits empty every summer. What events do you think will come to fruition if an indoor stadium is built?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nice weather all summer in OP, and yet RWS stadium sits empty every summer. What events do you think will come to fruition if an indoor stadium is built?

Who knows...maybe high school state football championships? NCAA basketball regional finals? college football (possibly UB against a name opponent or MAC Championship game)., concerts, auto/boat shows... many convention opportunities...just look at how many conventions and special events use the Lucas Oil dome in Indianapolis.

Building it in Niagara Falls would get you no where and the traffic would be nuts. Downtown is the way to go for sure, hope it pulls through.

The retractable roof could give you so many options. NCAA tournaments, bowl games, heck the Super Bowl??? MInnesota and Detroit have hosted it, why not?

I think what it really has going for it is the fervor among people who have wanted the outer harbor to be developed. It's time that those people wake up and realize that children's museums and skating rinks won't draw the kind of money that a full fledged NFL stadium will. Imagine the economic impact it would have on that part of the city! People would buy up empty industrial lots and turn them into parking lots for the stadium (may not be the most enticing idea ever but hey, at least there's money being made). With the arena and the stadium only a couple blocks away the area between would be crawling with people wanting to open bars and merchandise shops. In the long run the stadium could help both the Bills and the outer harbor.

Edited by bills1960

There really should be a special gallery of concept drawing that ran in the Buffalo news that never amounted to anything. If you put half of those drawings into the real world Buffalo is a helluva nice place.

lol so true. we might look like a real city if even half of these things got built

There really should be a special gallery of concept drawing that ran in the Buffalo news that never amounted to anything. If you put half of those drawings into the real world Buffalo is a helluva nice place.

Its like a big game of simtown.

Building it in Niagara Falls would get you no where and the traffic would be nuts. Downtown is the way to go for sure, hope it pulls through.

The retractable roof could give you so many options. NCAA tournaments, bowl games, heck the Super Bowl??? MInnesota and Detroit have hosted it, why not?

I think what it really has going for it is the fervor among people who have wanted the outer harbor to be developed. It's time that those people wake up and realize that children's museums and skating rinks won't draw the kind of money that a full fledged NFL stadium will. Imagine the economic impact it would have on that part of the city! People would buy up empty industrial lots and turn them into parking lots for the stadium (may not be the most enticing idea ever but hey, at least there's money being made). With the arena and the stadium only a couple blocks away the area between would be crawling with people wanting to open bars and merchandise shops. In the long run the stadium could help both the Bills and the outer harbor.

Forget a super bowl, the league requires thousands of hotel rooms. Many thousands more than are in Buffalo. Then you have well downtown Buffalo in February! yea, nice place. I guess there could be a ice cream social at the galleria Mall. But then what?

Concerts? Huge touring acts avoid Buffalo like the plague. The reason is the economy and dwindling population. Some big rock shows cost millions to stage, and they don't do it for charity.

Ticket prices. Well If true it will run you $400 for a single lower bowl ticket between the 40's to see the G-Men or Jets. How many people can pay that in Buffalo? That's what it costs when you build a kick ass stadium. Hell in Jerry World it costs $100 for an obstructed standing room ticket. This is nonsense. I've watched Buffalo decline my entire life and from a distance for 33 years. It's not happening. That's the truth.

Pat Freemen on the Buffalo Bullet web site said the Ralph will need $300-600 million for repairs once the "cement" study comes out. He is also stated that the RV lot for the new dumb stadium will be at Fantasy Island amusement park!

Edited by Hammered a Lot

I actually know a guy who works with an architecture/development company who is currently working with the Bills and Erie County. There will be no new stadium. It will stay in Orchard Park. Erie County is fine with paying for a large portion of the renovations, they are working together in getting the renovations worked out before they do anything else.

Why 72,000 seats? I say 56,000 to 60,000 tops.

The Bills have the lowest ticket prices in the NFL. Obviously a new stadium would increase those prices but they'd still need to work on a volume model, IMO.

Who knows...maybe high school state football championships? NCAA basketball regional finals? college football (possibly UB against a name opponent or MAC Championship game)., concerts, auto/boat shows... many convention opportunities...just look at how many conventions and special events use the Lucas Oil dome in Indianapolis.

I've never been there but I'm told Indy is a very nice city that has had competent people building the urban core for many years now.

Indy is the 12th largest city in the U.S. and is its downtown is considered one of the best among U.S. cities.

I love the idea but maybe less seats?? somewhere around 60-65 thousand. Would greatly increase sell outs. Would attract the NCAA's, maybe The Toronto Raptors could come play some games there as well. God I missed the NBA in B-low.

Love the idea, we need a new stadium but I just don't see how we could make it happen with all the politics involved.

Not only could Buffalo host the Superbowl, it could host Wrestlemania as well!!

(Before the sarcastic remarks hit, can't I dream as well!!) While this idea of a retractable domed stadium in the Outer Harbor is a great idea, unfortunately it will never happen, due to the corrupt politicians in WNY. If Buffalo couldn't land Bass Pro, then they sure as hell won't be able to develop a $1.4 Billion dollar stadium.

Who will pay for it?

That's the 64,000 $ Question.

Part NFL, part new ownership, part taxes(ofcourse), part NY state, Sencas I think would be interested as well.

I would settle for a Heinz Field part 2 with a Convention center close by. I think that would be more in line money wise.

Indianapolis is an established midwest convention city with the hotel base to support large conventions. Most of the things you listed would not justify use of a 70,000 seat stadium here in Buffalo, but believe what you will.

Edited by LabattBlue